Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Will Labour be able to enact any of their goals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pants Donkey posted:

So does a coalition have to be formed, or is that what a minority government refers to?

Also I assume May won't be PM for much longer consider how badly she hosed her party.

This article on the BBC seems like a pretty good reference for the various options for a hung parliament going forward.

Also, yeah, the Tories will have her head on a silver loving platter for what she's done to them with this snap election.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pants Donkey posted:

So does a coalition have to be formed, or is that what a minority government refers to?

Also I assume May won't be PM for much longer consider how badly she hosed her party.

Yes, a coalition will have to be formed. It will be a minority government because no party has a majority of the seats.

May is apparently going to try to stick around, but it's doubtful her party will let her.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/873064713176797184

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
May's out in the next few days, literally no way she's not with how she shot the Tories in the head. At least Cameron had the dignity to realize he hosed up and called it quits.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yesssss

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xen Tricks posted:

May's out in the next few days, literally no way she's not with how she shot the Tories in the head. At least Cameron had the dignity to realize he hosed up and called it quits.

Has calling an early election worked out in favor of anyone who tried it over the past 2 years? Cameron, Turnbull, May....

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In fairness, it was a ploy to capitalize on infighting in Labour & co. in order for the Tories to be able to say with confidence that their vision for Brexit was what the public clearly wanted.

They just had the misfortune of May's human suit starting to rapidly break apart in the interim.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if I'm understanding right, May called an early election to try and get a majority of seats but polled terribly, resulting in her party losing more?

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Has calling an early election worked out in favor of anyone who tried it over the past 2 years? Cameron, Turnbull, May....

They just. Keep. Doing. It.

I don't know why. You'd think they would learn. And like ^^^ said, May expected to ride off the weirdly high polling numbers for Tories but didn't put enough thought into the whole "try not to look like a ghoulish monster" idea

Internet Kraken posted:

So if I'm understanding right, May called an early election to try and get a majority of seats but polled terribly, resulting in her party losing more?

She polled fine up until the point Corbyn got the lead out and made people realize horrific austerity self-cannibalization was actually a bad plan

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man if only the US had something like this. Trump's ego and delusion would probably result in him calling for one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Apparently she was polling well and wanted to increase the party's majority, but she made a number of blunders while Corbyn and Labour appealed to voters.

Although if I understand correctly, this election was Trump/Clinton lite in that nobody was super enthused with their options. Except this time the monster didn't win.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Pants Donkey posted:

Apparently she was polling well and wanted to increase the party's majority, but she made a number of blunders while Corbyn and Labour appealed to voters.

Although if I understand correctly, this election was Trump/Clinton lite in that nobody was super enthused with their options. Except this time the monster didn't win.

It's more like instead of the media and the GOP spending twenty years slandering Clinton it was the democrats; Corbyn's popular with his party's voters, but his own party officials hate him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All I want to know is are we in a position to see the realization of Steve Bell's cartoon where President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn attempt to mesh with each other's perceptions of reality?

I want Corbyn to bring him jam :allears:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Can someone from the UK put this thing in perspective for me? Because it looks like a goddamned landslide.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cabbit posted:

It's more like instead of the media and the GOP spending twenty years slandering Clinton it was the democrats; Corbyn's popular with his party's voters, but his own party officials hate him.

Implying Murdoch's rags weren't taking a way worse hatchet to him?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pants Donkey posted:

Yes they have though. The Tories are the party with the most seats and the one that's going to form the next government. They are worse off than they were before the election, but they're still going to be the party that's going to run the country.

The difference in how this is getting reported in US and Israeli news is astounding. US folk are all like "hung parliament, wha? Coalition government, bah? Does this mean that Corbyn is going to be the Prime Minister?". While Israeli (a country in which coalitions are the rule rather than the exception) sources are just "The Tories won the election (turn to the actual article for details on how much their position sucks)".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 9, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

Negotiating Brexit would/will need a billion different decisions, and May didn't want to be in a position where the fringe element of her party could hold this process "hostage" just because their advantage in seats is so slim (somewhat similar to the House Freedom Caucus loving up everything that the rest of the Republican party tries to do, or vice-versa).

So yeah, she called for an election with the expectation (probably correct at the time) that Labour was vulnerable and they could use this to expand their lead so that there'd be more leeway for the Tories when it came to votes.

Only they ran a poo poo campaign, and Labour didn't, and Corbyn got his party to win a bunch of seats.

The election was "important" insofar as it's being seen in some circles as a referendum on the feasibility of a no-poo poo, straight-up left-progressive political platform, as opposed to centrist neoliberal "vote for me or else the fascists will take power" case that's made by the Democrats in the US or Macron in France.

There was no way that Corbyn could have gained a majority in this election, but the fact that he closed the gap means that the case for leftism isn't going to be shuttered and shouted-down across the West.

The most pessimistic takeaway I'd put forward would be that it's like one of those special elections in Montana and Georgia where the Dems lose by a single-digit margin in what's normally deeply Republican areas. It might not matter from a policy-making perspective (although I wouldn't rule it out altogether yet), but it does keep the momentum up.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Titled "A nothing burger with Russian dressing," this is a few months old, but in honor of nothing burgers being in the news...

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xander77 posted:

Yes they have though. The Tories are the party with the most seats and the one that's going to form the next government. They are worse off than they were before the election, but they're still going to be the party that's going to run the country.

The difference in how this is getting reported in US and Israeli news is astounding. US folk are all like "hung parliament, wha? Coalition government, bah? Does this mean that Corbyn is going to be the Prime Minister?". While Israeli (a country in which coalitions are the rule rather than the exception) sources are just "The Tories won the election".

The Tories "won" in the sense they will have control of the government with whatever coalition they put together, but that's still a substantial demotion from the actual majority they held before this election, and what they were hoping to achieve in the first place.

So yes, technically a win, but a Pyrrhic one. They will still control the government to a certain degree, but in terms of their goals and objectives going into this the election has been an unmitigated failure for them and a boon for their adversaries.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is it not possible for the left parties to assemble a coalition to govern?
The numbers seemed close enough.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's like a drunk guy challenging another drunk to a fight and getting the absolute poo poo beaten out of him until a policeman intervenes and arrests the guy he provoked.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

They look to be barely off and anyways as the UK goes the Tories will get first hack at making some functional coalition cause they're the largest party currently

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I am by no means knowledgeable on UK politics, but:

* 326 seats needed for a majority, and as I type this post, all but two seats have been counted

* the Tories have 317 seats. They get first crack at forming a coalition government since they have the most seats (as they already previously did). The SNP and the LibDems are almost certainly not going to work with them. The DUP might, as a quick Google suggests they're a right-wing/conservative party, and a Tory+DUP coalition would have a ... 1 seat majority

* Labour has 261 seats. Adding in the SNP and the Lib Dems still only gets to 308, or 18 seats short of a majority. Even if we threw in Sinn Fein's 7 seats and Plaid Cymru's 4 seats, that's still 7 seats short of a majority.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

KREMLIN PARTY ROOM

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xen Tricks posted:

They look to be barely off and anyways as the UK goes the Tories will get first hack at making some functional coalition cause they're the largest party currently

What does this mean, in practice? What stops the smaller party from engaging in backroom dealings right from the start, and getting an alliance together that making all the other parties say no to the Tories?

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

What does this mean, in practice? What stops the smaller party from engaging in backroom dealings right from the start, and getting an alliance together that making all the other parties say no to the Tories?

I'm not quite that knowledgeable but I assume it's mostly because the coalition would still have the needed majority to pass things, and honestly this will happen anyways cause gently caress the Tories no one likes them except DUP or whatever who are literally royalists. There's always going to be fighting and backstabbing, it just depends on if one party can manage to get barely enough by to have a working government. If not, oops, back to the polls again.

e: like listed above, Tory + North Irish Assholes makes a bare 1 seat majority, whereas all the leftist parties together can't quite reach it. This isn't a victory for Labour, but it's a huge kneecap to the Tories because they lost their actual majority and maybe more importantly, their mandate. May is walking dead and lol Boris Johnson as pm would be insane so who knows what's next

Xen Tricks fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 9, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The simple answer is the DUP (Irish Unionists) will definitely support the Conservatives and will never ally with Labour. Conservatives+DUP is a majority on its own, albeit a very small one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I never thought I'd see myself saying this, but I'm looking forward to the U.K. politoons.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Aren't all the small parties basically against Brexit though, meaning a new referendum is likely? Of course, I don't really know about the literal royalist Northern Irish party is actually in favour of open southern borders...

Also, Denmark has a less retarded parliamentary election system, but we still get it reported as a hung parliament and pretty much an idiotic loss for May, given that she has a way worse position now.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"The Mickey Mouse Republican leadership." ]

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

BonHair posted:

Also, Denmark has a less retarded parliamentary election system.

Oh my, almost 86% voter turnout.
You guys seem to be doing something right.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 9, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

BonHair posted:

Aren't all the small parties basically against Brexit though, meaning a new referendum is likely? Of course, I don't really know about the literal royalist Northern Irish party is actually in favour of open southern borders...

Some of the small parties campaigned on reversing Brexit, but not many. They only represent about 50 of the 650 MPs - and that number has gone down by almost 20 compared to before the election. A second referendum hasn't got any more likely.

The DUP are pro-Brexit, with the caveat that it can't affect free movement in Ireland because in spite of their terrible opinions they don't actually want war to break out again.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Oh my, almost 86% voter turnout.
You guys seem to be doing something right.

Short version: we have more realistic options and your vote is not "lost" if you vote for a minor party. In addition to electing several candidates per district, we also have national level redistribution, meaning that a party that almost got seats in a lot of districts gets some special extra seats. Also we do this weird thing where we have enough places to vote and stufff.

We still like our reactionary nationalists and neoliberals though, but at least we don't have the guy from the seventies who equated tax fraud with resistance against nazi occupation (both good in his mind) and didn't want no prime minister, just a minister in charge of dismantling the state.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is absolutely a victory for Labour. It wasn't enough of a victory to earn them control over the government (primarily because the left vote was split between them and SNP in Scotland) but everyone's expectation up until literally the moment exit polls were released was that the Tories would gain seats, and it was only a question of how many seats they would gain. If the Tories had managed to gain only ten seats, it would have been embarrassing for them. The fact that they lost their majority is a black eye the size of Wales.

It even has actual policy ramifications -- someone who said it was like losing Montana by 2 points was a little off on this. Before the election, Tory leadership had to make sure almost every MP in their party was happy with anything they tried to do, which is quite hard to do in the UK. This election was designed to get them a little more breathing room so they could actually get things accomplished. Instead, not only do they have to please literally every Conservative MP with every action, they also have to please every one of those Northern Irish hard-right troglodytes, and the Northern Irish parties, as I understand it, are literally so hard to please that they get grouped under "OTHER" in election coverage because they don't generally form coalitions. They only agreed to help in this case because they had to to prevent a hung parliament. It's a huge stumbling block for the Tories, and thus a victory for Labour, even if they don't get to run the UK just yet. Give it a little time, though -- if this coalition doesn't work out and another election becomes necessary I don't think Scotland will be as split this time.

(warning: am American)

e:

I'm not entirely sure those two guys are actually the same guy

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NRVNQSR posted:

The simple answer is the DUP (Irish Unionists) will definitely support the Conservatives and will never ally with Labour. Conservatives+DUP is a majority on its own, albeit a very small one.

Right, but the DUP are also loving crazy, and their majority will be razor thin combined - this gives each member of the ruling coalition a huge amount of power because they can scuttle legislation by getting a handful of deflections. The Tories already had a civil war over Brexit (roughly analogous to Trumpists within the Republican party but with less incentive to mend fences afterwards) and the terms of Brexit will cause another - May called the election to grab a big enough majority to avoid these issues and ensure her rebellious backbenchers couldn't dictate policy.

And she absolutely should have got it - she had a gigantic lead when she called the election and proceeded to piss it away. So now, instead of the large majority she absolutely should have had, she's at the mercy of both the swivel eyed Euro-skeptic brigade and the horrendously homophobic, pro-Brexit DUP, and the moderates in her party.

She's done. The only reason she hasn't been knifed yet is people are afraid of grabbing such a lovely position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

loquacius posted:

I'm not entirely sure those two guys are actually the same guy

It's been a few years, he got older.

• Locked thread