Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Also that one time he beat Flamelord or whatever that one guy's name is, who is a herald of Galactus and hence a Big loving Deal

Firelord. Amazing Spider-Man 270

Prior to this he had a building dropped on him (due for demolition) and had him stand in an exploding gas station. Still, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

prefect posted:

I've done it before, but I'm going to do it again. Spider-Man in the original Secret Wars.

:allears: :neckbeard:

Goddamn, I loving love Spider-Man.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Hulk Smash! posted:

Firelord. Amazing Spider-Man 270

Prior to this he had a building dropped on him (due for demolition) and had him stand in an exploding gas station. Still, though...

Shouldn't his suit be peeling off of him and trying to run away at that kind of proximity to a man who is literally on fire

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I think this was a copy of the black suit and not the actual symbiote by that point.

E: Yep. Got rid of the symbiote in ASM 258

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 8, 2017

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
See, I liked the one from, I think Marvel Adventures? The one Clevinger wrote? Where they're up against some ludicrous threat and Spidey rattles off a workable plan, everyone kind of gawps at him and he says "No-one seems to remember that I'm also really, really smart."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phy posted:

See, I liked the one from, I think Marvel Adventures? The one Clevinger wrote? Where they're up against some ludicrous threat and Spidey rattles off a workable plan, everyone kind of gawps at him and he says "No-one seems to remember that I'm also really, really smart."

That was Jeff Parker.

Marvel Adventures Avengers #11

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know there were just a bunch of pages posted of spiderman being good at everything and everyone being amazed at how cool and awesome he is and he's also funny and poo poo talks everyone all the time. If he was anyone other than spiderman he'd be insufferable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Spider-man can be pretty insufferable yeah.

The fire lord fight is probably the worst as it's just SM winning through brute strength. Which is dumb.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Glagha posted:

You know there were just a bunch of pages posted of spiderman being good at everything and everyone being amazed at how cool and awesome he is and he's also funny and poo poo talks everyone all the time. If he was anyone other than spiderman he'd be insufferable.

Yeah, it helps that we know he's had some pretty bad things happen to him and he's totally guilt-ridden and dedicated to being a good guy. You don't have to worry that he's a gigantic rear end in a top hat for real.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's the Tao of superheroes: the power fantasy sours unless the characters continually convince us that they're somehow deserving.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Glagha posted:

He's tempered with Parker having the worst loving luck and most of the time barely scraping by with the skin of his teeth so the writers being given permission to have him cut loose and indulge in Spidey kicking loving rear end is always welcomed.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And I mean his basic skill set is pretty horrific to have to fight: He's effectively psychic, super strong and fast, and can stick to walls [Sometimes the webs are an innate part of the deal, sometimes not]. That only is enough to ruin like 90% of the Marvel Universe flat out. On top of that he's a genius inventor and generally fires off a ton of liquid steel cables at whim. And while all that is going on? He's dunking on you like the smarmiest New York rear end in a top hat stereotype in all of creation. Honest to God forget about psychotic hatred, I'm surprised they haven't just had Norman kill himself to get away from it all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

prefect posted:

I've done it before, but I'm going to do it again. Spider-Man in the original Secret Wars.

:allears: :neckbeard:

I don't know, all I read into these in particular and that Superman page is "You're powerful, but I'm established A-list!!!" and it comes off as unintentionally obnoxious and very lame.

Like,

This was way better, because it's concise and doesn't read like someone trying to convince you Spiderman is cool. "Show don't tell" still counts for comics.

But then again, maybe I look for different things.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dont even fink about it posted:

I don't know, all I read into these in particular and that Superman page is "You're powerful, but I'm established A-list!!!" and it comes off as unintentionally obnoxious and very lame.

Like,

This was way better, because it's concise and doesn't read like someone trying to convince you Spiderman is cool. "Show don't tell" still counts for comics.

But then again, maybe I look for different things.

Also, Secret Wars happened in 1984 and 1985, when the rules for writing comics were different. :shrug:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

prefect posted:

Also, Secret Wars happened in 1984 and 1985, when the rules for writing comics were different. :shrug:

Yeah what I'm saying is that I don't have a practiced eye for "This is how comics were written in [era.]"

I don't really dislike Spiderman, and from what I gather over the years, what I'm complaining about is a much bigger problem with Superman, who has stories with strawman characters in a forever struggle to make the character seem relevant and beyond criticism.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah what I'm saying is that I don't have a practiced eye for "This is how comics were written in [era.]"

I don't really dislike Spiderman, and from what I gather over the years, what I'm complaining about is a much bigger problem with Superman, who has stories with strawman characters in a forever struggle to make the character seem relevant and beyond criticism.

Also, just because I'm old and have read more comics, don't take that as meaning that I'm "right" or I know better. You can like what you like, and that's a-okay.

And yeah, I've always been a Marvel zombie, and I totally get the unimpressiveness of most Superman stuff. Sometimes he comes out great, but there's a lot of "bleh".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

prefect posted:

Yeah, it helps that we know he's had some pretty bad things happen to him and he's totally guilt-ridden and dedicated to being a good guy. You don't have to worry that he's a gigantic rear end in a top hat for real.

There was that one panel of him firing off a really rude insult at some mutated snake-woman (?) that came across as genuinely mean spirited instead of just quippy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wasn't the secret Wars thing all in his head.

Which makes sense as early SM was a little poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wasn't the secret Wars thing all in his head.

Which makes sense as early SM was a little poo poo

No, it really happened. Although Professor X wiped his memory of it before he could tattle on them. (They were going to leave the hero camp and join Magneto.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Early Spider-man was incredibly powerful compared to modern Spidey. He'd routinely beat up entire other hero teams, including the Avengers. He didn't start getting nerfed until the 80s, when someone decided maybe a guy who fights Fancy Dan and Kraven on the regular shouldn't be able to give Doom a run for his money.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

prefect posted:

No, it really happened. Although Professor X wiped his memory of it before he could tattle on them. (They were going to leave the hero camp and join Magneto.)

It was probably in Ultimate SM then.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

prefect posted:

Spider-Man is a menace!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Push El Burrito posted:

Spider-Man is a menace!

#JJWasRight

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

AnonSpore posted:

There was that one panel of him firing off a really rude insult at some mutated snake-woman (?) that came across as genuinely mean spirited instead of just quippy.

To be fair, she was trying to take away his superpowers and lock him up in an extradimensional prison.

People who get kicked out of the Avengers Initiative have their powers removed. Without her powers, Lizard girl is stuck in a wheelchair.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Weren't there some pages someone posted from like Howard the Duck or something where Peter wasn't being taken seriously by Silver Surfer or someone and he started talking about the time he took down Firelord and Surfer was like "Uh yeah whatever dude..." and just kind of rolled his eyes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Silver Surfer got owned by the Black Panther using a full Nelson so he has no room to talk.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man Spider-Man is cool as heck

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Silver Surfer got owned by the Black Panther using a full Nelson so he has no room to talk.

God drat it, can we forget about this???

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A-ha! I knew it existed!

SilverSupernova posted:

Silver Surfer #6/#200

Say what you will about Slott's take on Spider-Man. He definitely gets his moments from time to time.
He later takes great pleasure out of punching out one that takes on the form of Mephisto

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It don't matter what power level you find yourself in, you show Spider-Man some goddamn respect

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Spider-man has to be a badass because they have to make him cooler than his posse and, this one time, Aunt May shot Norman Osborne in the face with a .38 and MJ ran him over with a dump truck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat it, can we forget about this???

Long after the DCAU and Static Shock are forgotten, Dwayne McDuffie will be remembered for the stupid headlock.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Glagha posted:

I know one comic that went into why he's constantly quipping, briefly. It's either that or be peeing himself in sheer terror. His own words/thoughts, not mine.

I read this once, but I don't have a scan to prove it(I think I either read the thing in a store or from the library). I hate when that happens. This was about the time he was a teacher, I think, so it was a little while back.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Push El Burrito posted:

Spider-Man is a menace!

I remember that one. He was trying to come up with the worst possible things to say to Johnny to get him mad enough to break out of hypnosis or mind control or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

I remember that one. He was trying to come up with the worst possible things to say to Johnny to get him mad enough to break out of hypnosis or mind control or something.

That's the excuse Reed Richards uses for slapping around his wife.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wanderer posted:

Next you'll tell me this is because of some kind of crazy mind swap situation.

There's just too much evidence of Spider-Man being an rear end in a top hat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Lets not forget Avenging Spider-man 6

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spider powers!

(Marvel Adventures Spider-Man 57)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Runcible Cat posted:

Spider powers!

(Marvel Adventures Spider-Man 57)

TBF,that would be pretty sick if he could actually do that. Mostly because I want to see him throw one of those hilariously huge ones (huntsmen, I think they're called) at a dude and watch him run away screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
And then Kaine actually got that power.