Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

BattleMoose posted:

Also so is refrigeratorant management. I also don't know what that involves. I think there are going to be severe issues with their methodologies, if they exist anywhere.

Remember how chlorofluorocarbons were eating a hole in the Ozone, which would eventually gently caress our poo poo up real good? And how we no longer widely use chlorofluorocarbons and the ozone hole is kinda-sorta stable and not getting any bigger?

That's "refrigerant management". Laymans terms? "Go suck a sweaty egg, hot countries, your air conditioning is going to kill us all." :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

Apparently educating girls is free. Also so is refrigeratorant management. I also don't know what that involves. I think there are going to be severe issues with their methodologies, if they exist anywhere.

It is saying that it saves more money than it costs over the life of the program, as it says on the website:

quote:

In our book Drawdown, each solution is measured and modeled to determine its carbon impact through the year 2050, the total and net cost to society, and the total lifetime savings (or cost).

Rime posted:

That's "refrigerant management". Laymans terms? "Go suck a sweaty egg, hot countries, your air conditioning is going to kill us all." :science:

Not even that. We just need to switch to refrigerants that don't have the same incredibly bad global warming potential. Ethanol is a commonly suggested substitute.

Also if you want to open another can of worms, consider that it often takes less energy to cool hot climates than it takes to warm cold climates.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Trabisnikof posted:

It is saying that it saves more money than it costs over the life of the program, as it says on the website:

It's worth pointing out that Paul Hawken is very much in the "market solutions" camp. Not saying that this means you should discount his data or conclusions, but it's something that's worth keeping in mind. The issue that I have here in particular in that the long term cost of a particular strategy isn't always important, since we're often talking about programs that have to be run over the course of decades and that won't meaningfully pay off within a generation. The cost up front tends to be a lot more important in those cases since that's what's going to determine if something is politically viable.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I mean specifically, what does he mean by refrigerant management. The Montreal protocol was refrigerant management. We already did that. So obviously he has something else in mind, what is it.

Specifically, how does he want/expect refrigerants to be used differently? Which ones does he want to be switched out for what? And for which countries? And yes, how much it costs up front is incredibly important. He is so short on details its not worthy of serious consideration. And no, I am not going to buy his book.

And keep in mind, the Montreal protocol is still in effect and still is applicable and is still working. By any definition, we are doing refrigerant management.

Ethanol refrigerant:
I haven't and doubt I will check up ethanols boiling temperature but these things really do matter for the performance of an air conditioning unit. Regardless ethanol has significant downsides, flammability being one of them. Being alcoholic the other. People will drink this stuff.

#######

All I am trying to say, his claims as they are, are absolutely not supported by his evidence at all. If he cares, he will make his methodology available to all and everyone. Without trying to make money off of selling books. At face value, it also reeks of bullshit, but that's just my opinion.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You know you can click on each thing to learn more about it, and I presume there are further details in his 256 page book.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

BattleMoose posted:

Regardless ethanol has significant downsides, flammability being one of them. Being alcoholic the other. People will drink this stuff.

So? People will also eat Brugmansia flowers and then cut their dicks off with garden shears, but we don't ban them from cultivation. If a small number of people are stupid enough to crack open an air conditioner and drink the contents then they kind of deserve what happens to them. At a certain point society just needs to say gently caress it and put the greater good above protecting dipshits from themselves. :colbert:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 9, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

I mean specifically, what does he mean by refrigerant management. The Montreal protocol was refrigerant management. We already did that. So obviously he has something else in mind, what is it.

Specifically, how does he want/expect refrigerants to be used differently? Which ones does he want to be switched out for what? And for which countries? And yes, how much it costs up front is incredibly important. He is so short on details its not worthy of serious consideration. And no, I am not going to buy his book.

And keep in mind, the Montreal protocol is still in effect and still is applicable and is still working. By any definition, we are doing refrigerant management.

Ethanol refrigerant:
I haven't and doubt I will check up ethanols boiling temperature but these things really do matter for the performance of an air conditioning unit. Regardless ethanol has significant downsides, flammability being one of them. Being alcoholic the other. People will drink this stuff.

#######

All I am trying to say, his claims as they are, are absolutely not supported by his evidence at all. If he cares, he will make his methodology available to all and everyone. Without trying to make money off of selling books. At face value, it also reeks of bullshit, but that's just my opinion.

Let me get this straight, you've never heard of the problem of high global warming potential refrigerants before right now but you're drat certain this book you've never read is not supported by evidence "at all." Is that about right?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Rime posted:

So? People will also eat Brugmansia flowers and then cut their dicks off with garden shears, but we don't ban them from cultivation. If a small number of people are stupid enough to crack open an air conditioner and drink the contents then they kind of deserve what happens to them.

They will mostly just get drunk and then develop techniques to get rid of whatever poisons/dye the authorities try to put in them.

quote:

Torpedo juice is American slang for an alcoholic beverage, first mixed in World War II, made from pineapple juice and the 180-proof grain alcohol fuel used in United States Navy torpedo motors.[1] Various poisonous additives were mixed into the fuel alcohol by Navy authorities to render the alcohol undrinkable, and various methods were employed by the U.S. sailors to separate the alcohol from the poison. Aside from the expected alcohol intoxication and subsequent hangover, the effects of drinking torpedo juice sometimes included mild or severe reactions to the poison, and the drink's reputation developed an early element of risk. In the first part of the Pacific War, U.S. torpedoes were powered by a miniature steam engine burning 180- or higher-proof ethyl alcohol as fuel. The ethyl alcohol was denatured by the addition of 5–10% "pink lady", a blend of dye, methanol and possibly other ingredients. Methanol causes blindness when ingested, and cannot be made non-poisonous. The methanol was said to be (largely) removed by filtering the fuel mix through a compressed loaf of bread.
Later, a small amount of Croton oil was added to the neutral grain spirits which powered U.S. torpedoes. Drinking alcohol with the oil additive caused painful cramps, internal bleeding and a violent emptying of the bowels. It was intended as a replacement for methanol which had caused blindness in some sailors. To avoid the Croton oil, sailors devised crude stills to slowly separate the alcohol from the poison, as alcohol evaporated at a lower temperature than Croton oil. The stills were sometimes called 'Gilly' stills, and the resulting potable alcohol was known as 'gilly'.

By design air conditioning units have their coils outside, easy access for any would be vagrant. How many times will a home-owner have his air-conditioner leaked before he refuses to buy an ethanol air-conditioner? Nothing about this is a good idea.

And remember, CFCS were developed as a safe replacement ammonia. Ammonia being really quiet toxic. I have physically been in an ammonia refrigerant leak, it was not a pleasant experience.

The proposal to make sure the refrigerants are disposed of correctly at end of life is a good idea. The major issue is with his calculations and estimates, like, how much it would cost to make sure those refrigerants are disposed of correctly.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Let me get this straight, you've never heard of the problem of high global warming potential refrigerants before right now but you're drat certain this book you've never read is not supported by evidence "at all." Is that about right?

I am very familiar with all the problems associated with refrigerants. As well as the history of which refrigerants we used and why and why we currently use the refrigerants we currently use. As well as the Montreal protocol and the problems with individual refrigerants. Not sure where I lost you.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

I am very familiar with all the problems associated with refrigerants. As well as the history of which refrigerants we used and why and why we currently use the refrigerants we currently use. As well as the Montreal protocol and the problems with individual refrigerants. Not sure where I lost you.

The fact that you're acting like know Montreal very well but have never heard of the movement to use it to limit high global warming potential refrigerants, since the treaty has a clause to shift refrigerants if future harms are learned. But presumably you knew that.

Or maybe you lost me where you claimed to know the author has no source for their claims but you barely seemed to have read the website let alone the book it is based on.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

The fact that you're acting like know Montreal very well but have never heard of the movement to use it to limit high global warming potential refrigerants, since the treaty has a clause to shift refrigerants if future harms are learned. But presumably you knew that.

I am honestly every confused about what you are writing and assuming. I know what Montreal is. I assumed everyone here knows what Montreal is. You are making assumptions about what I know and I don't know what those are and cannot address them.

quote:

Or maybe you lost me where you claimed to know the author has no source for their claims but you barely seemed to have read the website let alone the book it is based on.

The evidence belongs next to the claims, if its hard to find, I don't waste my time to look. Its a huge red flag. I never claimed he had no source. I said he wasn't communicating it or it was in his to pay for book.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

I am honestly every confused about what you are writing and assuming. I know what Montreal is. I assumed everyone here knows what Montreal is. You are making assumptions about what I know and I don't know what those are and cannot address them.

If you know how Montreal works and you know about high global warming potential refrigerants what was your initial confusion about the idea of managing our refrigerant use to reduce global warming?

And if you're still confused about the concept how can you be so certain you know the topic better than that book/website?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

If you know how Montreal works and you know about high global warming potential refrigerants what was your initial confusion about the idea of managing our refrigerant use to reduce global warming?

Quoting myself:

quote:

It turns out his ideas are all about disposing of refrigerants at end of life, which is a fine idea. It needs to be costed. Where are his calculations.

EDIT:
Refrigerants are a huge problem, obviously (like seriously). What isn't at all obvious is how to address this issue, there are a tonne of options. That is where the confusion sits.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

Where are his calculations.

Quoting the website:

quote:

In our book Drawdown, each solution is measured and modeled to determine its carbon impact through the year 2050, the total and net cost to society, and the total lifetime savings (or cost).

The models are in the book.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Quoting the website:

The models are in the book.

So his is profiteering off of global warming, hiding his solutions behind a paywall. This is not a guy I respect or want anything to do with. If he cared about this issue, he would make his entire solutions freely and publicly available. He is a profiteer and should be treated as such.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

So his is profiteering off of global warming, hiding his solutions behind a paywall. This is not a guy I respect or want anything to do with. If he cared about this issue, he would make his entire solutions freely and publicly available. He is a profiteer and should be treated as such.

Lol next complain the author used an airplane to go to book signings.

Edit: poo poo you're going to rail against climate scientists as profiteers when you learn how much article access costs and that they get paid to do it too!

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 9, 2017

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol next complain the author used an airplane to go to book signings.

He is making claims without backing them up. That poo poo just gets dismissed out of hand, every time. No exceptions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

He is making claims without backing them up. That poo poo just gets dismissed out of hand, every time. No exceptions.

:ironicat:

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Methodology is important. Its not okay to make claims about how to fix the world without the appropriate evidence to support those claims. This isn't a controversial position to take.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Haha I just loving visited the website for you, what do you know, they do list the sources online: http://www.drawdown.org/solutions/materials/refrigerant-management

http://www.drawdown.org/references#materials

Montreal Protocol: UNEP. Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer: Final Act. United Nations Environment Programme, 1987.

ozone layer is beginning to heal: Solomon, Susan, et al. “Emergence of Healing in the Antarctic Ozone Layer.” Science 353, no. 6296 (2016): 269-274.

hydroflourocarbons [vs.] carbon dioxide: Myhre, Gunnar, Drew Shindell, François-Marie Bréon, William Collins, Jan Fuglestvedt, Jianping Huang, Dorothy Koch et al. “Anthropogenic and natural radiative forcing.” In Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK, and New York: Cambridge University Press, 2013.

2016…amendment to the Montreal Protocol: Davenport, Coral. “Nations, Fighting Powerful Refrigerant That Warms Planet, Reach Landmark Deal.” New York Times. October 15, 2016; Johnston, Chris, et al. “Climate Change: Global Deal Reached to Limit Use of Hydrofluorocarbons.” The Guardian. October 15, 2016.

John Kerry…“biggest thing we can do”: Davenport, “Landmark Deal.”

reduce…warming…one degree Fahrenheit: Johnston et al, “Global Deal.”

[growth of] air-conditioning…by 2030: Shah, Nihar, Max Wei, Virginie Letschert, and Amol Phadke. Benefits of Leapfrogging to Superefficiency and Low Global Warming Potential Refrigerants in Room Air Conditioning. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2015.

emissions…at end of life: Zhao, L., W. Zeng, and Z. Yuan. “Reduction of Potential Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Room Air-Conditioner Refrigerants: A Life Cycle Carbon Footprint Analysis.” Journal of Cleaner Production, 100 (2015): 262–268.

destruction…to reduce emissions: World Bank. Study on Financing the Destruction of Unwanted Ozone-Depleting Substances through the Voluntary Carbon Market. Washington, D.C.: The World Bank, 2010.

air-conditioning in…U.S. homes: HUD. American Housing Survey for the United States: 2009. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and U.S. Department of Commerce, 2011.

in urban Chinese households: Shah et al, Leapfrogging.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BattleMoose posted:

Ha, look at these IDIOTS having to buy food and poo poo. gently caress them!

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Haha I just loving visited the website for you, what do you know, they does list the sources online: http://www.drawdown.org/solutions/materials/refrigerant-management

http://www.drawdown.org/references#materials

Montreal Protocol: UNEP. Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer: Final Act. United Nations Environment Programme, 1987.

ozone layer is beginning to heal: Solomon, Susan, et al. “Emergence of Healing in the Antarctic Ozone Layer.” Science 353, no. 6296 (2016): 269-274.

hydroflourocarbons [vs.] carbon dioxide: Myhre, Gunnar, Drew Shindell, François-Marie Bréon, William Collins, Jan Fuglestvedt, Jianping Huang, Dorothy Koch et al. “Anthropogenic and natural radiative forcing.” In Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK, and New York: Cambridge University Press, 2013.

2016…amendment to the Montreal Protocol: Davenport, Coral. “Nations, Fighting Powerful Refrigerant That Warms Planet, Reach Landmark Deal.” New York Times. October 15, 2016; Johnston, Chris, et al. “Climate Change: Global Deal Reached to Limit Use of Hydrofluorocarbons.” The Guardian. October 15, 2016.

John Kerry…“biggest thing we can do”: Davenport, “Landmark Deal.”

reduce…warming…one degree Fahrenheit: Johnston et al, “Global Deal.”

[growth of] air-conditioning…by 2030: Shah, Nihar, Max Wei, Virginie Letschert, and Amol Phadke. Benefits of Leapfrogging to Superefficiency and Low Global Warming Potential Refrigerants in Room Air Conditioning. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2015.

emissions…at end of life: Zhao, L., W. Zeng, and Z. Yuan. “Reduction of Potential Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Room Air-Conditioner Refrigerants: A Life Cycle Carbon Footprint Analysis.” Journal of Cleaner Production, 100 (2015): 262–268.

destruction…to reduce emissions: World Bank. Study on Financing the Destruction of Unwanted Ozone-Depleting Substances through the Voluntary Carbon Market. Washington, D.C.: The World Bank, 2010.

air-conditioning in…U.S. homes: HUD. American Housing Survey for the United States: 2009. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and U.S. Department of Commerce, 2011.

in urban Chinese households: Shah et al, Leapfrogging.

You really are just not getting it.

He made the following claims: 89.74 GIGATONS REDUCED CO2. How was this number calculated.
Also: $-902.77 BILLION LIFETIME SAVINGS How was this number calculated.
And how is this the most appropriate option if we cannot even cost it?

I will repeat. He is making claims about the efficacy of interventions. He is not providing the appropriate evidence so support his claims.

At a minimum he needs to provide the calculations as to how he calculated his numbers that he did and the assumptions that went into making those claims. Some ideas as to what the costs will be and then he has to argue that the assumptions he made are reasonable. At a minimum.

EDIT: You can't just believe people because they have a website and some references and have a reassuring message.

BattleMoose fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 9, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

White phosphorous is just as effective as napalm but doesn't add to carbon in the atmosphere!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

You really are just not getting it.

He made the following claims: 89.74 GIGATONS REDUCED CO2. How was this number calculated.
Also: $-902.77 BILLION LIFETIME SAVINGS How was this number calculated.
And how is this the most appropriate option if we cannot even cost it?

I will repeat. He is making claims about the efficacy of interventions. He is not providing the appropriate evidence so support his claims.

At a minimum he needs to provide the calculations as to how he calculated his numbers that he did and the assumptions that went into making those claims. Some ideas as to what the costs will be and then he has to argue that the assumptions he made are reasonable. At a minimum.

EDIT: You can't just believe people because they have a website and some references and have a reassuring message.

You're not getting it. That's why you have to loving read the book.

If it makes it easier you can imagine that the website is a really fancy looking abstract and the book is just a special edition of a journal. At $22 the book is probably cheaper.

quote:

Project Drawdown is a nonprofit organization and coalition of scholars, scientists, entrepreneurs, and advocates from across the globe that is mapping, measuring, modeling, and communicating about a collective array of substantive solutions to global warming, with the goal of reaching drawdown.

Drawdown is the point in time when the concentration of atmospheric greenhouse gases begins to decline on a year-to-year basis. Project Drawdown’s research program has developed realistic, solution-specific models, technical assessments, and policy memos projecting the financial and climate impacts of existing solutions deployed at scale over the next thirty years.

In the pursuit of sharing its findings widely, the organization has released the book Drawdown, the first of many projects to widely disseminate this information. Project Drawdown has created a broad coalition of leading climate voices who are helping to spread the message, and integrate the goal of drawdown into their own work. The organization will continue to update and expand the scope of its research, and publish and disseminate new content through online platforms and future publications.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

If it makes it easier you can imagine that the website is a really fancy looking abstract and the book is just a special edition of a journal. At $22 the book is probably cheaper.

We are talking about climate science intervention. The greatest challenge that will face my and future generations. And this dipshit is withholding his solutions for profit making reasons. If he had any kind of moral conscious he would make his solutions freely available. The fact that he is hiding behind a paywall is enough to convince me that he is completely full of bullshit. Make your information freely available, so it can be critiqued and analysed for credibility. So it can be worked on and expanded on by others. We should not be taking our climate mitigation strategy advice from this person.

Fortunately there is an organization that is completely dedicated to analysing all of our mitigation strategies. With scientific credibility. With their claims being supported by evidence which is clearly communicated and freely accessible. Shockingly its the IPCC. No surprises here.

http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg3/

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Knowledge is a privileged commodity available only to those who can afford it.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

Knowledge is a privileged commodity available only to those who can afford it.

All publications from the IPPC are freely available. All data from all the GCMs are freely available. Data from earth observing satellites are freely available. All climate data sets that I am aware of (and used) are freely available.

Also, only 2% of annual emissions of GHG CO2 equivalent are from fluorinated gasses (IPCC). It makes no sense that addressing fluorinated gasses is the most effective intervention.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Trabisnikof posted:

Policy Consultants Hate Him!

Environmentalist and entrepreneur reveals most comprehensive plan ever to reverse Global Warming!

Learn one weird trick to fix Climate Change now.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

BattleMoose posted:

All publications from the IPPC are freely available. All data from all the GCMs are freely available. Data from earth observing satellites are freely available. All climate data sets that I am aware of (and used) are freely available.

Also, only 2% of annual emissions of GHG CO2 equivalent are from fluorinated gasses (IPCC). It makes no sense that addressing fluorinated gasses is the most effective intervention.

I meant the opposite of what I said, it was a joke.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

We are talking about climate science intervention. The greatest challenge that will face my and future generations. And this dipshit is withholding his solutions for profit making reasons. If he had any kind of moral conscious he would make his solutions freely available. The fact that he is hiding behind a paywall is enough to convince me that he is completely full of bullshit. Make your information freely available, so it can be critiqued and analysed for credibility.

Do you feel the same way about scientists who get paid to do climate research and then publish that climate research in pay for access journals?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How dare the non-profit Drawdown Foundation charge $22 for a book with 6 staff Researchers 63 Research Fellows associated with it.

Look at all these profit motivated mother fuckers http://www.drawdown.org/research-fellows

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

How dare the non-profit Drawdown Foundation charge $22 for a book with 6 staff Researchers 63 Research Fellows associated with it.

Look at all these profit motivated mother fuckers http://www.drawdown.org/research-fellows

It's caviar and champagne all thew way to environmental Armageddon I tell you :argh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Herm, on one hand, I have the unsourced posts of BattleMoose and on the other hand I have the well sourced publication of an organization that lists Bill McKibben, Rick Fedrizzi, Dan Kammen, Michael Pollan and Andy Revkin as just a few of their advisors.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you feel the same way about scientists who get paid to do climate research and then publish that climate research in pay for access journals?

This is a fair point and literally every scientist I know agree that there are very serious issues with the openness of how publications work. This is a problem and does need to be fixed. To be fair though, these publications are not meant for general consumption and the intended audience (scientists) can access these publications "freely" through the fees that their organizations pay for.

On this specific topic though, we have a group (the IPCC) whose responsibilities include dissemination what we know about climate science to the general public, freely and in a format that can be understood. We do this because of the importance of climate science and in the importance of the public being able to access the science in readable formats.

####

Regardless the point stands. They are making claims without the appropriate supporting evidence, this will never be appropriate behaviour.

####

quote:

I have the unsourced posts of BattleMoose

You are going to have to be more specific. If I have made claims you would like to see evidence for, I will provide it, that is how this works. The person who makes the claims, is obliged to provide evidence.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2017/05/23/drawdown/

quote:

The reader is told several times that the Drawdown project is based on measurement, mathematics, and rigorous modeling by scientists and researchers, but this is a case that remains to be made. The photo in the section called “Numbers” illustrates the dilemma. It is a visually intriguing collage of 20 tables of figures and their graphical display. However, it is only symbolic. It is too small to allow the reader to examine the content.

quote:

I suggest two paths that could strengthen the project’s methodological claims. One is to invite a panel of modelers to assess its analytic approach and make recommendations for next steps. Another is to make more modest claims about models and scientific rigor and instead rely more heavily on informed consensus. Tentative results and the associated assumptions could be reviewed by a panel with the aim of ordering priorities and agreeing on what are, in any case, only roughly estimated total impacts.

While I for one am shocked. (That was sarcasm, I am not shocked at all)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Why are you looking at reviews? It's only $22.00 $13.49 for a limited time!

Read it yourself and form your own opinions!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BattleMoose posted:

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2017/05/23/drawdown/

While I for one am shocked. (That was sarcasm, I am not shocked at all)

thank you :)

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

They have research inquiry forms where you can request all their models and data.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It is very strange that they have so many forestry topics high on the list yet every other report have these as negligible items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

That's why you have to loving read the book.

At $22 the book

hmmmmm

lol at the optimists starting to charge people to read their "solutions"

i guess dumping a bunch of made up numbers everywhere counts as "marketing"?

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 9, 2017