Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shifty Pony posted:

One of the better cases of progressives managing to define the phrase used for an issue to score a messaging win. The GOP doesn't have a good snappy way to make opposition to it sound good so they either have to go into a long response explaining why it will hurt the almighty job creators or sound like a ghoul saying they oppose a "livable wage".

Added bonus: The GOP politician is actually a ghoul for not supporting people making enough money to live on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Added bonus: The GOP politician is actually a ghoul for not supporting people making enough money to live on.

additional added bonus of also supporting cutting safety net progs for people not making enough money to live on

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

I suspect her going 'The fundamental difference between my opponent and I is I don't support you having a liveable wage!!!' was uh, a terrible mistake.

Her soundbite needs to be applied against every GOP candidate in every race across the nation unless they explicitly state otherwise and even then, probably still run the add.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

skylined! posted:

I haven't gotten a good response yet from asking 'so what if they leaked, the info describes illegal activities and abuse of power'. unsurprisingly.

Yeah, I think the "so what?" riposte is actually not a bad one to try. If someone is arguing that something is bad but doesn't really know why, like if they're just repeating a talking point or they have a ready-made label they just want to slap on as many people as they can, you can take a lot of wind out of their sails by making them explain what's so bad about it. Especially if you use "so what" as a pivot to something damning of your own.

It's like the thing where you respond to a racist joke by making them explain why it's funny.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

THE PISS TAPE IS REAL

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rigel posted:

AJC poll of likely voters this morning (Atlanta's newspaper)

Ossoff 51 (+7)
Handel 44

Ossoff has a solid majority among young voters, Handel has a narrow lead on voters over 65. 13% of Republicans and 50% of independents are with Ossoff. Only 3% of brain-damaged democrats are with Handel.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/09/ajc-poll-ossoff-opens-lead-over-handel-in-georgias-6th/

That's not the first poll to put him up 7. Makes Survey USA look like less of an outlier, and with 2 weeks to go, Handel has never led in any poll.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Cimber posted:

TL;DR of yesterdays Comey meeting:

KAMALAH HARRIS: Let's talk about Sessions

JOHN CORNYN: Let's talk about Hillary

MARCO RUBIO: Let's talk about me

JOHN MCCAIN: BINGO! I GOT BINGO HERE!

It's faster to just link to the tweet...

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

paternity suitor posted:

LEAKER is going to become the next FAKE NEWS. They'll use it as a tool to bend reality. FAKE NEWS was a way to discredit outsiders reporting the goings on within, now LEAKER will be used as a way to discredit insiders. I don't know what the next level would be from the admin. You can't trust yourself? You can't trust me?

It's literally a cult tactic. "See the problem is you're thinking about it, stop thinking about it. There much better. Hup hup hup, you're thinking about it, stop thinking about it!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/09/politics/james-comey-leak-complaint/index.html

They cannot possibly be this stupid, can they?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Riatsala posted:

It's faster to just link to the tweet...

probably, but i can't do anything twitter related at work.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Yeah, uh, my understanding was since it wasn't classified in any way...they can't...really do anything??

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

That's a stupid question and you should feel bad even asking

(yes they are that stupid)

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Trump's attorney misspelled "president" in his response to Comey's testimony. They absolutely are that stupid.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Can Comey go after anyone for slandering him as a liar?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

It's meaningless. They are trying to change the focus of the story and cnn is stupid for making it "breaking news"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

morcant posted:

Yeah, uh, my understanding was since it wasn't classified in any way...they can't...really do anything??

Well, they can pursue an obviously political trumped-up meritless charge. It's obviously malicious prosecution, but who's going to call them to account?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

morcant posted:

My guess is they think they can muddy the waters this way? Pretend he did something illegal?

All it's going to do is piss off the FBI more, though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
This is a tough one to muddy the waters on though. The defense is very succinct--Comey was a private citizen and those notes were his personal property, not classified information.

Screaming "HE LEAKED CAUSE HE'S A LEAKY LEAKER" is really only going to rally the deadenders.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trump's lawyer has a long history of threatening lawsuits he has no intention of filing

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also he admitted it without hesitation under oath and then, also under oath, explained exactly why it was permissible.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Trump's legal strategy has always been to muddy the waters aggressively to make it too expensive for the other guy to continue, even if it's farcical. It usually works, but he's usually up against mom and pop contractors, not a well-liked former FBI head on the national stage.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, they can pursue an obviously political trumped-up meritless charge. It's obviously malicious prosecution, but who's going to call them to account?

Night10194 posted:

My guess is they think they can muddy the waters this way? Pretend he did something illegal?

All it's going to do is piss off the FBI more, though.

It's all a big waste of time, but at least the narrative seems to be loving them so thoroughly I suppose that's better than actually having something of substance. Doubly so if it pisses off the FBI.

Little victories is how I plan to get through all this.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Uh, a judge?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Trump's legal strategy has always been to muddy the waters aggressively to make it too expensive for the other guy to continue, even if it's farcical. It usually works, but he's usually up against mom and pop contractors, not a well-liked former FBI head on the national stage.

Yeah, the "bury them in lawyers" solution doesn't work when you're taking on a Congressional investigation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Criminal prosecuting attorneys and judges are protected from tort liability for malicious prosecution by doctrines of prosecutorial immunity and judicial immunity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malicious_prosecution

It's basically impossible to get a judgment against a prosecutor (i.e., here, Sessions) for malicious prosecution even when the case is very cut and dry. That would be especially true in the case of a complaint to a Congressional committee. There's functionally no redress for Comey here.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
it's not malicious prosecution you dolts. nobody is prosecuting anything. they've filed a complaint, i.e. written a sternly worded letter. it's close to meaningless legally, it's a move for the press.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

botany posted:

it's not malicious prosecution you dolts. nobody is prosecuting anything. they've filed a complaint, i.e. written a sternly worded letter. it's close to meaningless legally, it's a move for the press.

Right, I'm assuming a worst-case most extreme example where Sessions actually ran with it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malicious_prosecution

It's basically impossible to get a judgment against a prosecutor (i.e., here, Sessions) for malicious prosecution even when the case is very cut and dry. That would be especially true in the case of a complaint to a Congressional committee. There's functionally no redress for Comey here.

Sure Comey can't sue, but I was just thinking along the lines of a judge dismissing the case and calling them idiots

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

botany posted:

A complaint is a document used to begin a lawsuit. Once you have filed and served a complaint, prosecution of the claim has begun.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I know the narrative is that the right wing is a master of the narrative and whatever they says goes, but the whole "fake news" "seth" "leakers" thing seems to have been an extreme failure and right wing media is at it's lowest ratings/influence in a decade right now, I don't think anyone should get too deep into the idea that these "alternate facts" stories are going to actually gain any ground.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I know the narrative is that the right wing is a master of the narrative and whatever they says goes, but the whole "fake news" "seth" "leakers" thing seems to have been an extreme failure and right wing media is at it's lowest ratings/influence in a decade right now, I don't think anyone should get too deep into the idea that these "alternate facts" stories are going to actually gain any ground.

There's a difference between a Facebook post and when the literal federal government gets high on its own supply and tries to take down leakers.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rebeccagberg/status/873171006353027072

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also they keep ramping up those excuses, yet Trump's approval ratings have been steadily dropping since the second he took office. poo poo's not working.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

We don't. It's just infuriating to see these dead-end assholes somehow spin this poo poo into their own universe of protective "alternative facts". You just want SOMETHING to puncture the bubble.

To see United States senators start huffing it, though, is particularly disheartening.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sean10mm posted:

Also they keep ramping up those excuses, yet Trump's approval ratings have been steadily dropping since the second he took office. poo poo's not working.

Trying to pretend nothing interesting is happening when interesting stuff is happening doesn't work well.

Also, they don't have an enemy to demonize right now and their entire strategy relies on that.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

But it's his permanent record!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Trying to pretend nothing interesting is happening when interesting stuff is happening doesn't work well.

Also, they don't have an enemy to demonize right now and their entire strategy relies on that.

It also relies on an enemy who's as unpopular and untrustworthy as Trump. Hillary fulfilled that role, but if the 22nd Amendment didn't exist and Obama had been his opponent, Trump would be back in his gilded penthouse slinging poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Alter Ego posted:

We don't. It's just infuriating to see these dead-end assholes somehow spin this poo poo into their own universe of protective "alternative facts". You just want SOMETHING to puncture the bubble.

I'm not sure what the absolute bottom even is for a Republican at this point. Trump's like 34% approval now, Nixon's floor was like 25%, but that was a long time ago.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We are probably going to find out. They're completely insane, all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

sean10mm posted:

I'm not sure what the absolute bottom even is for a Republican at this point. Trump's like 34% approval now, Nixon's floor was like 25%, but that was a long time ago.

Eh, it's going to be higher than Nixon. poo poo was partisan even then but not the hyperpartisan parody universe system we have now

• Locked thread