Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hah hah what a great joke on some random new mother. Certainly worth being on the hook to support a kid that isn't yours for 18 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Better than Skweezy Jibbs Jr.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

This is almost certainly a joke tbh, STDH for sure but not something that anyone was trying to pass off as fact to make themselves look good

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

that guy is a youtube character

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Aleph Null posted:

Hah hah what a great joke on some random new mother. Certainly worth being on the hook to support a kid that isn't yours for 18 years.

Hey man, if you know it ain't yours then just get a dna test afterward. You still got to name the kid.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
the latest disney movie looks bad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sisal Two-Step posted:

the latest disney movie looks bad

I liked the story of the kid who gave food to crows (or was it ravens?) and they brought the kid little trinkets in exchange and it was all kinds of things. :kiddo:

e: Oh that was easy to find.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
We all know crows etc are smart and it's not unrealistic that they could recognize a person and caw at them, but the kid taking credit for getting it to fly is pretty lame. In reality he just witnessed a somewhat heartwarming nature underdog(bird?) success story and said "that's a good story, but how can I make it entirely about me and my fake dr dolittle powers?".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

We all know crows etc are smart and it's not unrealistic that they could recognize a person and caw at them, but the kid taking credit for getting it to fly is pretty lame. In reality he just witnessed a somewhat heartwarming nature underdog(bird?) success story and said "that's a good story, but how can I make it entirely about me and my fake dr doolittle powers?".

Oh I didn't read it sorry.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
you can tell this one is real because he has data

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

you can tell this one is real because he has data

What a loving nerd, even if that's true

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Also slightly racist

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

We all know crows etc are smart and it's not unrealistic that they could recognize a person and caw at them, but the kid taking credit for getting it to fly is pretty lame. In reality he just witnessed a somewhat heartwarming nature underdog(bird?) success story and said "that's a good story, but how can I make it entirely about me and my fake dr dolittle powers?".

There was this study back in 2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/science/26crow.html?mcubz=2

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I said that that part is probably true :shrug: the stdh is pretty much everything else.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I said that that part is probably true :shrug: the stdh is pretty much everything else.

Crows only very rarely live longer than 8 years, so of course his magical crow friend is defying the odds there too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Crows only very rarely live longer than 8 years, so of course his magical crow friend is defying the odds there too.

I looked this up too but it is believable if it's a raven, which a lot of people mistake for being crows and/or use the names interchangeably.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Crows also don't reach breeding age until they're at least two, typically spending a year or two helping their parents raise their younger siblings before finding a mate of their own and having their own nest. Actually, a failed attempt to rear chicks can result in a young pair of crows "divorcing" and going back to help their parents for another year before trying again.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's amazing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

2 female teachers suddenly teleported into the room and clapped!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I looked this up too but it is believable if it's a raven, which a lot of people mistake for being crows and/or use the names interchangeably.

There is no consistent difference. Both are members of the Corvus genus. Some species are just called crows in their English common names, and some are ravens. Also, American crows can live 10-15 years in the wild if they are lucky. In captivity, they can hit thirty.

I mean, this is still STDH but I like corvids and I like to talk about them okay :(

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Prism posted:

There is no consistent difference. Both are members of the Corvus genus. Some species are just called crows in their English common names, and some are ravens. Also, American crows can live 10-15 years in the wild if they are lucky. In captivity, they can hit thirty.

I mean, this is still STDH but I like corvids and I like to talk about them okay :(

Maybe you can tell me why a crowraven keeps landing my window sill, peck at the window for a second, then fly off. Is it the reflection?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mng posted:

Maybe you can tell me why a crowraven keeps landing my window sill, peck at the window for a second, then fly off. Is it the reflection?

It's because you're late for the ball.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I had a crow friend when I was a kid. I called him Onyx and he was cool and good :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oops, double post. Really excited to tell y'all about my crow friend I guess

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I had a crow friend when I was a kid. I called him Onyx and he was cool and good :3:

How did you know what his name was? Do you speak crow?

E: I mean I had a crow frequent our front yard but near as I could tell it was called Caw Caw.

EE: Could be it was a different crow each time; I'm racist so they all look the same to me.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

E: I mean I had a crow frequent our front yard but near as I could tell it was called Caw Caw.

EE: Could be it was a different crow each time; I'm racist so they all look the same to me.

Did you not see the name of the person you replied to?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Did you not see the name of the person you replied to?

Oh yeah because all birds understand each other. NOW who's racist :rolleyes:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Fun fact, birds from different regions have different accents, just like people. They can tell if a bird comes from somewhere else by the regional variations in their birdsongs.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well, not anymore, but I took three years of House Finch in high school.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://i.imgur.com/6oXmxtB.gifv

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well, not anymore, but I took three years of House Finch in high school.

"It's not Lupus" *fucks Stifler's mother*

Good dog.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That rabbit is really enjoying that

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

mng posted:

Probably, but unlike most birds that attack a window, many corvids are smart enough to realize that it's not actually another bird after the first poke. Alternately they might be checking for a way in if they've ever gotten in a window before.

Birds have trouble with reflections in general, because their eyes are good enough that they can see the reflection clearly but they aren't quite self-aware enough to recognize that a reflection is them... except for magpies, which have passed that test and can learn that they can use mirrors to look at themselves - the test is to put a little coloured spot on them so they can only see it in a mirror and see if they try to scrape it off themselves once they look at their reflection, and of all tested birds AFAIK only magpies pass it regularly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Prism posted:

Probably, but unlike most birds that attack a window, many corvids are smart enough to realize that it's not actually another bird after the first poke. Alternately they might be checking for a way in if they've ever gotten in a window before.

Birds have trouble with reflections in general, because their eyes are good enough that they can see the reflection clearly but they aren't quite self-aware enough to recognize that a reflection is them... except for magpies, which have passed that test and can learn that they can use mirrors to look at themselves - the test is to put a little coloured spot on them so they can only see it in a mirror and see if they try to scrape it off themselves once they look at their reflection, and of all tested birds AFAIK only magpies pass it regularly.

Science fact: Magpies aren't really pies.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Crows have been recorded snowboarding down snowy roofs by standing on leaves for no apparent reason other than that it's fun. I would party with crows.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Crows are fun loving birds just having a good time as evidenced by the film Dumbo

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
i'm unironically pleased that stdh sparked crow/corvid chat. did you know that ravens have displayed problem solving skills? ravens like to tease other animals b/c they get bored. sometimes they collude with wolves by guiding them to a fresh kill (ravens are scavengers but their beaks/talons aren't sharp enough to pierce fresh flesh, but after a wolf has torn into the body they can go hogwild).

e you guys ever hear about the raven with an asbo?

a bad bird posted:

“It started to be a problem when people were taking photos of her,” said Igraine Hustwitt Skelton, Her Majesty’s Keeper of Castle Ravens in Knaresborough. “She would fly towards them and sit on their shoulders but then she started taking things. Now she’s taken to nicking cameras and mobile phones and using her beak to take selfies.”

Sisal Two-Step has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Jun 10, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

oldpainless posted:

That rabbit is really enjoying that

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

In the crow story you know it is all stdh because the writer says the father helped the fail crow back into the nest after the first attempt at flight. How the hell would a bird do that? Typically when a bird fails at birding it just sits on the ground and is fed and watched over by the parents until it can fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Crows are fun loving birds just having a good time as evidenced by the film Dumbo

More like oldtasteless