Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Sataere posted:

Maybe I am misremembering, but didn't ground control show Gurley getting hit way earlier than everyone else?

I unfortunately can't distinguish dudes that get hit early but break tackles from dudes who have decent blocking, but Gurley definitely goes down earlier than average. It's actually gotten worse.

In 2015, he went down a lot for 2-3 yard losses (Gurley in red, Average in Blue)

In 2016, he was going down for loss about the same proportion of the time, but they were for even bigger losses.

That's a pretty strong indicator of bad blocking. A dude doesn't go down for a 5 yard loss like that unless something really dumb went wrong.

However, there's another problem. His rookie year, Gurley was one of the best in the league at breaking long runs.

2016, not so much

That combination is why his yards per carry sucked so much this year. But he still didn't look so hot even in my Game Surprisal measure, which a) treats all runs under 2 yards as equally bad (so he doesn't get dinged for the extra huge losses), and b) adjusts the value of long runs to be proportional to how probable they are to occur, not how far they go exactly (so he also is dinged less for the lack of home runs). Despite those adjustments, most of his games were below average from an efficiency standpoint:

(2015 are the red dots, 2016 are the diamonds, the red line is the combined moving average of both years, the blue line is league average. Games below the blue line are below average).

Like I said - it doesn't look great. None of this is predictive of fantasy success, but it is enough to make me nervous of a valuable pick.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that volume is a) more stable from year to year (it's not implausible that Gurley could be good all of a sudden) and b) more important for fantasy. And his active run share was absurd:

He's just dominating carries. I poked around for a solid 5 minutes and the only comparable things I can find are Adrian Peterson 2013 and Alfred Morris 2012.

Volume makes him useful, efficiency can change on a dime, and I have no idea how much Gurley is at fault for the down year. But it definitely was not a pretty year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Goddamnit FP I love you but also hate you because you won the first year of our dynasty league.

It's very conflicting.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
gently caress yes gimme those advanced stats.

Also my "eye testing" of Gurley was limited to maybe a game and a half*, but I do remember commenting to my father "Imagine if he was on a good team."

*Also I don't know poo poo all about football, really.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Goddamnit FP I love you but also hate you because you won the first year of our dynasty league.

It's very conflicting.

It's OK, I routinely get my rear end kicked in the other 2 goon dynasty leagues. Turns out I'm better at drafting and working the WW than I am at trading, but I can't help myself.

The year before Megatron retired I gave Gordon, Parker, and a rookie 2nd for him. :negative:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

It's OK, I routinely get my rear end kicked in the other 2 goon dynasty leagues. Turns out I'm better at drafting and working the WW than I am at trading, but I can't help myself.

The year before Megatron retired I gave Gordon, Parker, and a rookie 2nd for him. :negative:

Please be Josh and not Melvin :ohdear:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Please be Josh and not Melvin :ohdear:

Melvin.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Only had one guy I wanted to cut in dynasty but had enough picks in the first three rounds (1.2, 2.1, 3.1, 3.2, 3.7) that I would have to cut two. Someone put Willie Snead on the block because they don't understand what rebuilding actually is and I offered 3.7/3.2, thinking he'd laugh the offer off. He countered 3.1/3.2. I would've snap accepted but I was a little busy at work so I waited 5 minutes and he threw in 5.1. I told him I didn't want to stay awake past the third round and offered to swap my 2.1 for 1.12 instead (we are probably both targeting RBs there. To my disbelief he accepted. So I gave 2.1, 3.1 and 3.2 to get Willie Snead and 1.12. All damned day.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Only had one guy I wanted to cut in dynasty but had enough picks in the first three rounds (1.2, 2.1, 3.1, 3.2, 3.7) that I would have to cut two. Someone put Willie Snead on the block because they don't understand what rebuilding actually is and I offered 3.7/3.2, thinking he'd laugh the offer off. He countered 3.1/3.2. I would've snap accepted but I was a little busy at work so I waited 5 minutes and he threw in 5.1. I told him I didn't want to stay awake past the third round and offered to swap my 2.1 for 1.12 instead (we are probably both targeting RBs there. To my disbelief he accepted. So I gave 2.1, 3.1 and 3.2 to get Willie Snead and 1.12. All damned day.

Haha nice

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm going to try to not poo poo this thread up with don't draft Vikings but

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty high on Stefon Diggs.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Hi sweethearts

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Sataere posted:

I hope it's as a matchup-based WR3 in a 3WR+Flex league because that's all that offense can support through the air.

Bad line, bad offensive coaching staff until proven otherwise, bad quarterback. Murray is probably the only guy in that offense worth starting weekly and I wouldn't be surprised if that were based mainly on reps and lack of competition unless this is the year that noted SPARQ darling Jerrick McKinnon can be good enough at football that he can avoid being benched in favor of Matt fuckin Asiata

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 8, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Sataere posted:

Read it like this. Don't want to correct myself.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I hope it's as a matchup-based WR3 in a 3WR+Flex league because that's all that offense can support through the air.

Bad line, bad offensive coaching staff until proven otherwise, bad quarterback. Murray is probably the only guy in that offense worth starting weekly and I wouldn't be surprised if that were based mainly on reps and lack of competition unless this is the year that noted SPARQ darling Jerrick McKinnon can be good enough at football that he can avoid being benched in favor of Matt fuckin Asiata

I didn't say I could justify the thought. But I'm not talking a guy with my first four picks. I think he's a guy who can slip to round six or seven and maybe be a high end WR2 by seasons end.

I just think he has a high floor/high ceiling for a mid round pick, because my gut thinks he's going to seriously outperform his ADP.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

newsworthy:

#Chiefs ST Coordinator Dave Toub says Tyreek Hill will not be on kick ret this season, will stay on punt ret. DAT will be the "next man up."

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Sataere posted:

I didn't say I could justify the thought. But I'm not talking a guy with my first four picks. I think he's a guy who can slip to round six or seven and maybe be a high end WR2 by seasons end.

I just think he has a high floor/high ceiling for a mid round pick, because my gut thinks he's going to seriously outperform his ADP.

I would be seriously shocked if Diggs is a top-25 WR by season's end, let alone top-18. My money is on ~WR30 give or take 2 or 3 spots, but I think most of that production will come in a handful of games

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 8, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

His pace over 13 games would've put him at 100-1100-3 in 16. That's with Thielen soaking up 70-950-5. I'd bet on Diggs improving more than I'd bet on Thielen repeating those numbers. Vikings o-line also was injured, not bad for no reason. Starting left tackle, right guard, and top two right tackles went down early in the year. There's little reason to expect the line to be as bad next year, and little reason to think Diggs can't be a solid WR2. You don't need to rely on your gut or listen to Teemu :)

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Do you just really hate Dalvin Cook or something?

E: Not that I'm saying he'll be awesome or anything, just seems weird not to mention him at all

Scruffy the janitor fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 9, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Zimmer is very much a *hates rookies* coach and they just invested like 9 mil guaranteed in Murray to replace Peterson so I doubt he ends up being more than a handcuff/dynasty stash, especially when the Vikings offense is doo. I didn't mention him because he's almost assured to be a non-factor in redraft unless Murray gets hurt.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, only question is how long Murray takes to get fully healthy this off season, and whether he has any setbacks.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Matt Kalil and Andre Smith are Not Very Good and Phil Loadholdt is okay (but not really in pass protection because he has the footwork of Frankenstein's monster) so I doubt their health really makes that line any better :)

What might've made that line better would've been using a 1st round pick on a lineman instead of trading it for Sam fuckin Bradford

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 9, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jordan Reed last three years

Games Missed: 11
Double Digit games: 10
Games with 5 points or fewer: 15

2016 ADP: 4.04
2017 ADP: 4.08

He has 7 concussions dating back to college

Just draft Tim Tebow if you want to waste your 4th rounder so bad drat

26 of 48 games he got you five points or fewer and 10 games he got you 10 or more lmao just lmao

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
https://twitter.com/ChrisRaybon/status/867019791768272897
https://twitter.com/ChrisRaybon/status/867030117016580097
https://twitter.com/ChrisRaybon/status/867030594689040385

If Jordan Reed is going to sacrifice his life playing this dumb sport, I must respect that and make his sacrifice worth it by drafting him everywhere. It's just too tempting to gamble on him, target TE2 streamers mid-season for backup help, and end the season with strong production from my TE spot.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"I'm okay with and I understand that my fourth round pick will miss half the games"

Also Pryor, Terrelle and Doctson, Joshua might cost him a target or 4 a game

Edit: a word

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 9, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Matt Kalil and Andre Smith are Not Very Good and Phil Loadholdt is okay (but not really in pass protection because he has the footwork of Frankenstein's monster) so I doubt their health really makes that line any better :)

What might've made that line better would've been using a 1st round pick on a lineman instead of trading it for Sam fuckin Bradford

I think this post operates under the assumption that bad is as bad as it gets. Those guys were bad, but their back ups were like staring into the abyss and only being able to see your mother being sodomized by Chthulu.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

oh raybon is a dfs guy

Do Not Listen to DFS Guys During Draft Season

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

last two seasons week by week

TE8
TE9
TE7
TE18
DNP
DNP
TE1
TE12
TE3
TE17
TE10
TE20
TE1
TE1
TE1
TE23
TE13
TE17
TE16
TE1
TE16
DNP
DNP
TE4
TE23
TE11
TE1
DNP
TE46
TE54
DNP
TE6

That three straight TE1 hot stretch really tricks people

Guys like Raybon and Smizzle are DFS guys and literally only look at weekly upside because that's the name of the DFS game. Season long is a totally different analysis during draft season and I am going to lose my mind screaming that into the ether

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 9, 2017

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Weekly upside matters in a season determined by weekly matchups.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

is gronk any better? People draft him in the first round

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

Weekly upside matters in a season determined by weekly matchups.

so does weekly downside when you're taking a player in the first four rounds and you have to stomach that you've wasted that pick for 50% or more of the year.

Leperflesh posted:

Don't get me started on Gronk but people think Reed is a reasonable choice

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Y'all are silly, just wait til the 12th round and grab Ertz, it's his year.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

so does weekly downside when you're taking a player in the first four rounds and you have to stomach that you've wasted that pick for 50% or more of the year.
If he didn't have the positional advantage of being a TE, I wouldn't be as high on him. But that poo poo matters in weekly matchups. I trust in my ability to build and acquire RB/WR depth so swinging for the fences at TE is worth it when he hits. Those multiple TD games are week winners. If I lose Reed to injury or can't trust him enough to start him, I'm streaming TEs and not doing a whole lot worse than half the league still. There's going to be a lot of turnover in the bottom of my roster throughout the season anyway, especially in the first few weeks, so just being a little more aggressive about finding a solid TE2 isn't so hard. Especially if I just snag Jack Doyle in the 12th round to pair with him.

VietCampo posted:

Y'all are silly, just wait til the 12th round and grab Ertz, it's his year.
:nono:

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 9, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's play a quick trivia game that means nothing but could mean a lot depending on where you plan on drafting a TE:

Player A: 16 games, 132 targets, 83 catches, 840 yards, 7 touchdowns, overall TE3 per Pro Football Focus.
Player B: 12 games, 89 targets, 66 catches, 686 yards, 6 touchdowns, overall TE9 per Pro Football Focus.

Player A's ADP: 8.12
Player B's ADP: 4.08

Seems pretty obvious which one you'd rather have at their draft value, no?

Player A: Kyle Rudolph
Player B: Jordan Reed

Drafting TEs on name recognition alone is a dangerous game y'all.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

No, I think if you looked at any tight end, they'd have that kind of weekly variance. To be fair, prime Gronk probably does look better, as would prime Graham. Ertz during his half seasons where he's great. But probably no one else.

Benne posted:

Let's play a quick trivia game that means nothing but could mean a lot depending on where you plan on drafting a TE:

Player A: 16 games, 132 targets, 83 catches, 840 yards, 7 touchdowns, overall TE3 per Pro Football Focus.
Player B: 12 games, 89 targets, 66 catches, 686 yards, 6 touchdowns, overall TE9 per Pro Football Focus.

Player A's ADP: 8.12
Player B's ADP: 4.08

Seems pretty obvious which one you'd rather have at their draft value, no?

Player A: Kyle Rudolph
Player B: Jordan Reed

Drafting TEs on name recognition alone is a dangerous game y'all.

Drafting bad TEs expecting them to repeat career years is a dangerous game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Jordan Reed last three years

Games Missed: 11
Double Digit games: 10
Games with 5 points or fewer: 15

2016 ADP: 4.04
2017 ADP: 4.08

He has 7 concussions dating back to college

Just draft Tim Tebow if you want to waste your 4th rounder so bad drat

26 of 48 games he got you five points or fewer and 10 games he got you 10 or more lmao just lmao

Reed absolutely 100% was a big part of me winning my league 2 years ago. Which of course lead to me overvaluing him last year, so hopefully this year I can be more realistic :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Every year someone in my league drafts J. Reed and every year I listen to them complain for several weeks about how their TE stud that's totally worth a higher than avg draft pick is riding pine and they can't drop him because he's just sooooo good for the those 3-4 weeks he's missing games.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Recurrent concussions are one of the few injuries that will prompt me to avoid a guy at even a "fair" ADP given their expected value. The only time I have ever had shares of Reed in any league ever is when I could pick him up for free off the waiver wire.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Sataere posted:

I think this post operates under the assumption that bad is as bad as it gets. Those guys were bad, but their back ups were like staring into the abyss and only being able to see your mother being sodomized by Chthulu.

As a Vikings fan I can tell you with absolute certainty that things can always, and will more likely than not, be worse

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've been reading a lot of analysis on how the loss of Maclin affects Tyreek Hill and I have come to the conclusion that Kelce is my #1 TE.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Kelce is gonna be the #1 TE yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

woe be to us when 80/1000/5 is TE1 again

• Locked thread