Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I posted a request in the phone rec thread can I make a post here too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love how when my K1 has an update, the update program tries to show the changelog, but NVidia's geolocking sees I'm in Australia and redirects the 'changes' panel to the NVidia AU homepage. Really inspires confidence.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Unless you use non-cloud based 2FA authenticators.

Which you should, since U2F isn't nearly as widespread as it should be yet (then again, neither is 2FA, lol every loving bank ever).

The Google app manages the Google Now feed, the Pixel/Nexus launcher, and the searches from the widget. By "poo poo in the cloud" I mean the settings within those things like your work/home addresses, Now preferences, card and interest likes/dislikes, etc. I think on clearing Google app data you lose the notification tone for alerts and maybe Amber/weather alert settings. Maybe you lose your voice model.

This has nothing to do with 2FA at all.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Honor 8, yay or nay? The gpu is significantly worse than my z3 compact but going by the anandtech review they've done some amazing optimisation. How bad is their update record, worse than Sony's?

My other option is a oneplus 3t but the thread title exists for a reason I presume. Or should I get a SE even though the screen is tiny and I'd have to re purchase a bunch of stuff.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 8, 2017

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Third Pixel now. Froze and locked up earlier tonight while driving (after about a week of working fine). I long-pressed power button to reset and ignored the phone for a while (was with company). I go to drive home, and find that the phone will not let me two-finger swipe down or swipe down twice for extra notifications. Cellular data and WiFi will not turn on whatsoever. Apps will open but no connection. Home and App Switcher buttons respond to touch but perform no actions. Have restarted the phone multiple times. Ejected and reinserted SIM card. Nothing works

I am so loving absolutely fed up with this piece of poo poo experience. When the phone works, it's great. But more often than not since I've been loving around with this nonsense, the phone simply does not work for longer than a god drat week. Say what you want about your anecdotal experience of having zero issues with your phones, but I've somehow fallen into a blackhole of an edge case where I just keep receiving lemon after lemon after lemon. Abso-loving-lutely unbelievable.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Pretty clear you're doing something abnormal with your phone. If this was a problem for anyone but you, e.g. Nexus 5X bootloop, it would be widespread on the internet and this thread, regardless of our Nexus/Pixel love. Get a refurb, sell it, and buy whatever phone you had before that tolerated how you use your phone.

Edit: I'm not making a judgment call, for the record. But at some point you need to both stop beating your head against the wall trying to make it work for you and accept that if the Pixel had a huge lemon problem, it would be affecting people besides you. Get a phone that works for you.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 8, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RVProfootballer posted:

Pretty clear you're doing something abnormal with your phone. If this was a problem for anyone but you, e.g. Nexus 5X bootloop, it would be widespread on the internet and this thread, regardless of our Nexus/Pixel love. Get a refurb, sell it, and buy whatever phone you had before that tolerated how you use your phone.

Edit: I'm not making a judgment call, for the record. But at some point you need to both stop beating your head against the wall trying to make it work for you and accept that if the Pixel had a huge lemon problem, it would be affecting people besides you. Get a phone that works for you.

This is what I thought too. He doesn't really give any details in his post history other than how things don't work, it makes me wonder what he installs, because my first instinct is that there's a software issue.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dodoman posted:

Honor 8, yay or nay? The gpu is significantly worse than my z3 compact but going by the anandtech review they've done some amazing optimisation. How bad is their update record, worse than Sony's?

My other option is a oneplus 3t but the thread title exists for a reason I presume. Or should I get a SE even though the screen is tiny and I'd have to re purchase a bunch of stuff.

What's your budget and which qualities in a phone are important to you?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

What's your budget and which qualities in a phone are important to you?

Dodoman posted:

• Country/Provider: India

• Current contract status: n/a

• Budget (phone/plan): ~400USD after conversion

• Features I know I want (in order of importance): Good audio quality, battery life, build quality, timely android updates, stereo speakers, root support

I'm in India so phones are more expensive than they are in the US.

My Z3 compact has started to die (headphone jack is dead and the lower 1/6th of the screen has stopped working) so I'm looking for a new phone. Since I bought the phone from outside India the official Sony repair centers won't touch it and 3rd party repair shops are quoting 200ish Usd for repairs. For 50 USD more I can get a Moto G5+ which seems to be the current recommendation for thay price range but I have a few questions.

Going by benchmarks the S801 in my z3 compact is still better than the S625 in the G5+, especially wrt gpu performance. Should I be looking at an iphone SE or 6 instead? I'm also not averse to buying a huawei/xiaomi/zte since they generally offer better performance at this price range and I could probably flash some sort of rom to 'erase' any Chinese backdoors (I'm happy to be corrected if this isn't the case). I'd like a screen that's around 5", give or take a few inches with the SE being the exception.

I've done some research but would appreciate any input on the matter, thanks.

Should I just repair the Sony?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't know why I bother engaging with people about OnePlus. Gotta justify that purchase though I guess. This was a comment in regards to people not buying the next OP device, I tell them why they are bad and this is a response I get.

quote:

Fake benchmarks? The OnePlus 3 and 3T are demonstrably faster than the Pixel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecUbJSpeRaU
https://www.xda-developers.com/dissecting-speed-how-oneplus-leveraged-excellent-real-world-performance/

OS updates are still worlds faster than Samsung, LG, etc. Security updates are almost immediate.

Never had a problem with my USB-C cable. *shrug*

OnePlus 3/3T were not invite-only. I ordered one directly from the company.

Why would anyone need 6GB of RAM? So the phone doesn't lag and refresh webpages which is common on Samsung and other "flagship" phones.

Sounds to me like you never actually used a OnePlus phone but just read crap off websites and think that makes you knowledgeable.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

How come we get most of the Emojis but not all? And of course, they look different on Android vs Apple, but they're basically the same. We still lose some that are substituted by the rectangle with x.

Where do we get our Emojis from anyway? I've got a Samsung (functional too!) with Verizon. When we get more Emojis (but not all, just to tease us!), Is that coming in a Samsung (or insert your manufacturer) update or an Android OS update?

I'm pretty sure I can still use Handcent and download the Emoji keyboard add-on, but I still don't know if that gives the latest batch iOS has? This is not important at all but also super important at the same time.

e: Also, I lost my Samsung "Adaptive Fast Charger." I had adapted to charging fastly. Looking up replacements on Amazon shows them with lovely reviews/non functionality​.

I don't care if it's got Chinese lettering or not OEM. Where would I find a legit (as in functional) Adaptive Fast Charger or something else that charges at the same voltage or amps or whatever? Thank You :)

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 8, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Well the first thing I'd say is that benchmarks can be deceiving. The 625 has been by all accounts really optimized by Motorola so it wouldn't surprise me to see the G5+ outperform a z3 Compact in real world usage. That said, I wouldn't expect timely updates (even security updates) or root support (you'd have to look into this yourself but Moto is usually pretty hostile to rooting). Hopefully someone can speak to the audio quality on the G5+ here, many users have it and I also don't know if it will have stereo speakers.

On the other hand, it's hard to go wrong with an iPhone of any variety. It will hit all the marks you said (minus root but you shouldn't need it) plus it will be supported longer and better.

It's tough to talk about the Chinese phones because they aren't available in the US for the most part so you might need to do research on these on your own but they certainly have specs for the price.

Given your price range you probably aren't going to find everything you're looking for. We recommend the G5+ because it's cheap and good for that price range but in the end we're generally advising people to look at it because it's disposable and they can just buy another one when it gets forgotten by Motorola or dies or they just want something newer. I'd advise you to look at the G5+ similarly whereas with the iPhones you're buying in for the long term. The midrange to me seems to offer the worst of both worlds being more expensive than the disposable G5+ but just as poorly supported moving forward. You'd have to judge for yourself whether the minor bump in performance and the hassle of flashing ROMs on top of that is worth the price difference but I'd wager it isn't.

Does that help?

fartzone_42069 posted:

How come we get most of the Emojis but not all? And of course, they look different on Android vs Apple, but they're basically the same. We still lose some that are substituted by the rectangle with x.

Where do we get our Emojis from anyway? I've got a Samsung (functional too!) with Verizon. When we get more Emojis (but not all, just to tease us!), Is that coming in a Samsung (or insert your manufacturer) update or an Android OS update?

I'm pretty sure I can still use Handcent and download the Emoji keyboard add-on, but I still don't know if that gives the latest batch iOS has? This is not important at all but also super important at the same time.

e: Also, I lost my Samsung "Adaptive Fast Charger." I had adapted to charging fastly. Looking up replacements on Amazon shows them with lovely reviews/non functionality​.

I don't care if it's got Chinese lettering or not OEM. Where would I find a legit (as in functional) Adaptive Fast Charger or something else that charges at the same voltage or amps or whatever? Thank You :)

Emoji come with software updates so you can have the latest emoji when you get the latest software. Part of owning a Samsung is lagging six months to a year behind everyone else, it's just the way it is. Considering it's baked into the OS (because fonts are very much a security risk), you'll need an update to view and use emoji that aren't on your version.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 8, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I understand the Xiaomi Note 4 (same SoC as the G5+) is widely available and pretty cheap in india, that's probably the one midrange chinaphone worth looking into. The other "value" phones you see mentioned pretty often, albeit not here, are the Oneplus 3, ZTE Axon 7 and the Xiaomi Mi6, tho you'd have to pursue the xda route with those phones sooner or later.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

other "flagship" phones. 

Lol

LastInLine posted:

or root support (you'd have to look into this yourself but Moto is usually pretty hostile to rooting).

This bit is incorrect; the Amazon ad supported versions can not unlock the bootloader and therefore can not be rooted but the regular ones can easily unlock the bootloader and root, you just need to paste the oem unlock code to their website. It also has a p decently sized developer community on xda

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Everywhere I look online for a Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger has 50% lovely DOA (or not working soon after receiving, breaking, getting fuckballs hot, etc.) reviews, and 50% say the product they receive is perfect.

Is there a specific place to get a functional one (don't actually care if it's not OEM when it claims to be, it's all the same Chinese crap). Except it's obviously not all the same. Should I take the risk and order one with mostly good reviews?

Amazon and Wal-Mart online have the more mixed reviews but it's about $10 bucks there. Vs $35 bucks from Best Buy, and I assume the the same price directly from Samsung or Verizon.

Take the risk on a cheapo perhaps conterfeit one that has a more than 50% chance of functioning and not burning my house down? Or pay full price for a more "guaranteed" real one (that could also be a piece of poo poo?).

For the record mine would still be functional if I cound find it.

e: I think I just wanna buy this.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01F20J4PE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_zTwozbBH5YCNZ

How do I know if I have a cable that's good for charging at 5V/2.4A or whatever? Obviously the one that came with my phone is good. But if I need more mirco-USB cables what kind do I need? Monoprice has like 48 different types of micro-USB cables, with different specs. Thanks :)

e2:
Everyone in reviews is saying these cables are functional and charge "fast" (and look at the cute colors!) but with the above thingy I linked, would my S7 "Fast Charge" instead of regular charge? That's my goal.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01B39GG68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_LkxozbW896TXY

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 8, 2017

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Dodoman posted:

My other option is a oneplus 3t but the thread title exists for a reason I presume.
Just treat every post about the OnePlus 3 in this thread like a Donald Trump tweet.

I'd say in India for that price range you'd want to look at the Lenovo Z2+, the OnePlus 3T, maybe the Honor 6X if you want a cheaper device, or the Redmi Note 4 if you want mega battery life.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Can't comment on any of these specifically, but if you buy something like this on Amazon, make sure to select on the right under 'Sellers on Amazon' either Amazon themselves or the manufacturer if they sell direct. Any other random third party you are playing with fire and likely to get counterfeit. e.g. right now it I select that it is some random seller with one lifetime rating slightly undercutting the direct price.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Red Warrior posted:

Can't comment on any of these specifically, but if you buy something like this on Amazon, make sure to select on the right under 'Sellers on Amazon' either Amazon themselves or the manufacturer if they sell direct. Any other random third party you are playing with fire and likely to get counterfeit. e.g. right now it I select that it is some random seller with one lifetime rating slightly undercutting the direct price.

The seller is "Aukey Direct" by default. Is that no good or am I misunderstanding?

e: poo poo nevermind. Defaults as "ace Hawaii." Glad I didn't order yet! Good catch :)

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 8, 2017

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

fartzone_42069 posted:

The seller is "Aukey Direct" by default. Is that no good or am I misunderstanding?

That should be fine. When I clicked it it was some other random third party seller.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

LastInLine posted:

Clear cache for Google app and if that doesn't work, clear data. All your poo poo is in the cloud so setting it back up isn't painful.

Wanted to follow up with this for anyone else having the issue. I was able to get it working again by going into Apps > Google App > Storage > Manage Space > Clear Google Search Data

After that. Swipe all the way to the left and it had me go through turning on google now and enabling "ok google". Everything else was already there. Thanks LastInLine

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

fartzone_42069 posted:

Everywhere I look online for a Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger has 50% lovely DOA (or not working soon after receiving, breaking, getting fuckballs hot, etc.) reviews, and 50% say the product they receive is perfect.
That's because almost everything labeled "Genuine" or "OEM" are going to be cheap Chinese counterfeits when you're buying them online. Just look for a charger that supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 or higher like the one you linked to.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

RZA Encryption posted:

If it doesn't have at least 16gb of ram then NO SALE.
Unfortunately the OP5 only has 8

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/872429933783638016

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Iron Crowned posted:

This is what I thought too. He doesn't really give any details in his post history other than how things don't work, it makes me wonder what he installs, because my first instinct is that there's a software issue.

RVProfootballer posted:

I think, at this point, you're both on the money. I work for a software company and install internal builds of our product and I've also enabled some developer options (no rooting) that allow me to decrease OS font size and decrease animation speed so the phone is super snappy compared to out-of-the-box.

I have coworkers who use a Pixel, though, and I don't think they have issues with theirs.

edit: a Google rep told me a more recent security update dated June 5th is supposed to be rolled out to Pixel phones that helps with freezing issues. She advised me to wait until that security update is available for my device and if I still have issues then we can talk about getting a brand new phone or just refunding my money.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Non-Pixel owner here but I've set my animation speeds to half and I haven't had any issues with that at least. Setting them to 0 seemed to cause me problems but I don't remember what exactly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My pixel installed the June update this morning. I wouldn't have noticed except I saw the "finishing updates" notification.
:cheers:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently Google has made a thing where sites can charge users a set amount per month to stop ads, let them use their intrusive ads, OR you just can't use the site.

Android Police has decided to do this. So I'm wondering what other fanblog will try it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fartzone_42069 posted:

e: poo poo nevermind. Defaults as "ace Hawaii." Glad I didn't order yet! Good catch :)

Get the Anker. They sell directly on Amazon (no other sellers/counterfeiters to deal with), work and are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...K47L&ref=plSrch

If an item has multiple sellers, the way Amazon works you can't guarantee you'll get the item from that specific vendor as Amazon mixes stock from different vendors if it's "fulfilled by Amazon". Which is part of the reason there's a staggering amount of terrible counterfeits clogging their store.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 9, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently Google has made a thing where sites can charge users a set amount per month to stop ads, let them use their intrusive ads, OR you just can't use the site.

Android Police has decided to do this. So I'm wondering what other fanblog will try it.

Yeah, it's not just ads either, it's scripts. So because we block scripts for security reasons, I can't browse AP on a work connection. So it's really dumb.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are their ads intrusive? By Google's definition they must not be since bad ads aren't allowed by the terms of the contributor program. I wouldn't know personally, since I'm not turning off uBlock to find out.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, it's not just ads either, it's scripts. So because we block scripts for security reasons, I can't browse AP on a work connection. So it's really dumb.

But ironically, if you block scripts for androidpolice.com their check doesn't work and you can still see the articles.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Are their ads intrusive? By Google's definition they must not be since bad ads aren't allowed by the terms of the contributor program. I wouldn't know personally, since I'm not turning off uBlock to find out.

If they're anything like their mobile ads, yes.

They pop up in every place where you'd expect to click (or tap, in mobile's case) and so if you're trying to read comments, you will inevitably click their ad as it's apparently timed to show up JUST when Disqus finishes loading.

They also have used ads in the middle of their page as well last I saw so if you scroll, you might hit one there too.

Tamba posted:

But ironically, if you block scripts for androidpolice.com their check doesn't work and you can still see the articles.

Just tried this and it's not working on Chrome apparently?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 9, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

If they're anything like their mobile ads, yes.

They pop up in every place where you'd expect to click (or tap, in mobile's case) and so if you're trying to read comments, you will inevitably click their ad as it's apparently timed to show up JUST when Disqus finishes loading.

They also have used ads in the middle of their page as well last I saw so if you scroll, you might hit one there too.

I don't adblock in Chrome on my Pixel and I've never had any issue with ads on Android Police. I mean, I'd rather they not be there if I had the option but they're certainly not intrusive.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm using NoScript with Firefox. If I block everything on the page, I can see the article, if I allow just androidpolice.com, I get that "don't block our ads/scripts"-page.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Great, phone doesn't see the USB connection with DP3. :v:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Showed up on GFXBench, big grain of salt recommended:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Please be 5.6" but with smaller chin and forehead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If a site makes me choose between viewing their content or viewing ads, welp, they lost a viewer.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
No site should have ads, I'm entitled to free content.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

cage-free egghead posted:

Please be 5.6" but with smaller chin and forehead.

I think the resolution implies a S8/G6 kind of aspect ratio, with hopefully the (non)bezels to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Just now received an email confirming my reservation of an Essential phone; I had placed it the day it was first available for reservation.