Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

System Metternich posted:

Is there any serious push in the UK to get rid of FPTP?

No, that died for the forseeable future when the Alternative Vote referendum failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Technocrat posted:

Two different maps illustrating the same results from yesterday's election

The right is constituencies, the left is population density.

The Guardian picture is a fat man, with a mustache, a goatee, and a top-knot, wearing red and blue overalls, sitting on his rear end while contemplating a levitating turnip.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I was going to post that Guardian map if no one else did. It's hilariously hideous. Even though it's less bulbous and illegible than the US equivalent, I still can't read read it worth a drat because, as an American, a huge chunk of the map is just "somewhere in the Midlands" to me.

Also, I had no idea South Wales was that much more populous.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Duckbag posted:

I was going to post that Guardian map if no one else did. It's hilariously hideous. Even though it's less bulbous and illegible than the US equivalent, I still can't read read it worth a drat because, as an American, a huge chunk of the map is just "somewhere in the Midlands" to me.

Also, I had no idea South Wales was that much more populous.
South Wales has all the (former) mining and steel towns and the capital.

A full third of North Wales is Snowdonia, which while beautiful and great for hiking, climbing, or cycling, doesn't contain many votes.

gwlad Duw :cryingdragon:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cat Mattress posted:

The Guardian picture is a fat man, with a mustache, a goatee, and a top-knot, wearing red and blue overalls, sitting on his rear end while contemplating a levitating turnip.

The Daily Mail is bloodstained Maggie Simpson.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cat Mattress posted:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Still the best:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Technocrat posted:

Two different maps illustrating the same results from yesterday's election

The right is constituencies, the left is population density.

And the BBC presents the current results as simply one equal size hexagon for every constituency.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

And the BBC presents the current results as simply one equal size hexagon for every constituency.

OK, I take back everything bad I said about the Guardian map. At least that one had identifiable cities besides London.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I mean, that type of map is not made to be geographically accurate at all, that's not the point. The point is to visually show the real weight of each party and region in the parliament, which is very warped in a normal map in favor of the territorially larger constituencies.

I like it. :shrug:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A map doesn't necessarily need to be accurate to geographic scale, as subway/bus/metro maps have understood. So sometimes you can find maps which have been deformed for a reason or another. Typical example are maps scaled by wealth or by population, probably already posted somewhere in the 1000+ pages of this thread.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Duckbag posted:

OK, I take back everything bad I said about the Guardian map. At least that one had identifiable cities besides London.

The other cities of the UK are positively tiny compared to London.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

The other cities of the UK are positively tiny compared to London.

Yeah, I already knew that, thanks. What I'm saying is that if I wanted to know at a glance how, say, Leeds voted, the Daily Mail map is the one I'd use because the others distort geography too much. The Guardian map helpfully labels the big cities at least, but the BBC one feels like a district map and a pie chart got together and did something unspeakable. I can tell the big red blob in the corner is Yorkshire, but I'd just be guessing for most of the rest of England.

E: I just noticed Leeds actually is labeled on the Guardian map. I blame low res phone posting. Also maybe I don't know where Yorkshire is? Pretend I said something else and also wasn't an idiot.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 9, 2017

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, I already knew that, thanks. What I'm saying is that if I wanted to know at a glance how, say, Leeds voted, the Daily Mail map is the one I'd use because the others distort geography too much. The Guardian map helpfully labels the big cities at least, but the BBC one feels like a district map and a pie chart got together and did something unspeakable. I can tell the big red blob in the corner is Yorkshire, but I'd just be guessing for most of the rest of England.

It's just saying that if i wanted to put a nail in a board, this saw would be a terrible tool for it.

Different maps have different uses, some show where people voted what, others show how nay voted what and yet others show how many of each party got elected. The latter two might possibly have som crossover with pie charts though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The worst thing about that map is that it uses basically the same shade for Sinn Fein and Green

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Elyv posted:

The worst thing about that map is that it uses basically the same shade for Sinn Fein and Green
Gréine go Brách

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

This map hits all the right notes, but for some reason I think that in a real cliché-ridden fantasy novel the individual places would be nearer/farther to each other than they're depicted here. Like, the northern wall would probably be a more prominent feature, and Elvenhome would 100% be somewhere out west

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's a nice tip of the hat to Tolkien who invented this kind of thing, I guess. And really this is just a parody of that, but so are most fantasy maps, so, alright.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

fishmech posted:

Of course the BBC would show Scotland and Wales and not ENGLAND :911 but english:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

:911 but english:
999? :v:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

This map hits all the right notes, but for some reason I think that in a real cliché-ridden fantasy novel the individual places would be nearer/farther to each other than they're depicted here. Like, the northern wall would probably be a more prominent feature, and Elvenhome would 100% be somewhere out west
The river that never flows to the nearby coast and somehow heads back into the mountains is a nice touch.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Lord Hydronium posted:

The river that never flows to the nearby coast and somehow heads back into the mountains is a nice touch.

a wizard did it

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

This one reminds me of the Teddy Ruxpin map.

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/teddyruxpin/images/a/a8/Map_of_Grundo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130819174138

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Note: the plain circle design is also the design that was originally meant to be the standard, and is often used for a state route on both paper and online maps for simplicity's sake.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Indiana made a huge mistake getting rid of their state shaped ones back in the old days.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Utah: Let's make it a tit.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Plebian Parasite posted:

Utah: Let's make it a tit.

it's not their fault that you're too perverse to enjoy the simple pleasures of the beehive state

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hawaii: "What did New Jersey do? Do the OPPOSITE OF THAT!"

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Cat Mattress posted:

A map doesn't necessarily need to be accurate to geographic scale, as subway/bus/metro maps have understood. So sometimes you can find maps which have been deformed for a reason or another. Typical example are maps scaled by wealth or by population, probably already posted somewhere in the 1000+ pages of this thread.

I love maps like these because Canada and Russia's population densities are so low they turn into black holes and bend half the map around themselves.

I do feel that leaving the oceans and Antarctica untouched is cheating.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
A day's firefight's in Rio, tracked trough a collaborative reporting app funded by amnesty international

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

bagual posted:

A day's firefight's in Rio, tracked trough a collaborative reporting app funded by amnesty international

What do the numbers mean? Number of people involved? Number of casualties?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bagual posted:

I spent about a minute wondering why Rio is so flammable.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Pakled posted:

What do the numbers mean? Number of people involved? Number of casualties?

I think it's actually a weekly, not daily, but it's total firefights reported through the app by neighborhood

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

From around Brexit

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bagual posted:

Seems like you want to live across the bay and not in Rio proper.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

Note: the plain circle design is also the design that was originally meant to be the standard, and is often used for a state route on both paper and online maps for simplicity's sake.
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Idaho

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

Seems like you want to live across the bay and not in Rio proper.

I think that's true for many reasons

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HookShot posted:

Hawaii: "What did New Jersey do? Do the OPPOSITE OF THAT!"

I think you meant opposite of Virginia or Oregon there.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

fishmech posted:

Fun fact: DC Route 295, the example sign shown for the District, is actually the only District Highway. All other signed routes in the District are US Highways or Interstate Highways. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Those signs are important so that the makers of movies and TV shows can tell people where something is set.