Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I hope Utah gets to keep him they're building a pretty good team. They just need to give the name back to NO

The Utah Pelicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Is Utah for sure offering a max?

They'd be pretty dumb not to.

zoux posted:

The Utah Pelicans.

Still more applicable to Utah than Jazz.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 9, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

zoux posted:

The Utah Pelicans.

No, no, if there was a nameswap, it had to happen like five years ago. New Orleans gets Jazz, Charlotte gets Hornets, and Utah gets Bobcats.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kevin Love for White LeBron, who says no?

I know you're mostly joking but unless Lebron wants to defend the 4 full time and Favors is ok being perma benched, you'd need to expand it. That JR Smith deal is such an albatross, if it was shorter you might be able to throw him and picks in to get Favors and let Utah kick their cap space down the line to a further year. But he's making 15 million in 18-19 and a partially guaranteed 20 million in 19-20. I don't think Cleveland has the assets to move that deal without making the team worse in the short term.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cyborgs don't break down with proper maintenance, idiots

Every pass Peyton Manning threw his last season would like to have a word with you.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The Utah Pelicans.

Utah Pelicans would actually be pretty appropriate (just the other species of pelican). I'd rather see sage-grouse or speed goats or something though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Utah Latter Day Saints

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Two-sport team name trade sends Saints to Utah in exchange for Jazz, Saints renamed Pelicans.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The Utah Novel and Interesting City Layouts

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

TBeats posted:

Every pass Peyton Manning threw his last season would like to have a word with you.

He's not a cyborg, just a piece of poo poo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

He's not a cyborg, just a piece of poo poo

He cool

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look you put your balls on ONE girls head and suddenly you're a

e:
https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/873190577952747520

MORE GOLD MEDALS for the US? Well, if you insist.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 9, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Utah Polygamists

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Utah White Separatists Who Are Creepily Nice.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The Utah Three point Twos

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Age absolutely slows you down, but it's not all that significant until your late 30s. We think of running backs as falling off in their early 30s, but we also think of them as falling off sooner than wide receivers do, which suggests it probably has less to do with inherent aging and more to do with accumulated minor injuries (and sometimes lingering major ones) and concussions. So LeBron's probably got another five years of near-peak performance, assuming he never gets seriously hurt.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mile run speed is not at all a good measurement of what we're talking about. Agility and ability to recover and, yes, accumulation of injury absolutely slows you down well before you hit your late 30s.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/873203488939020288

Ok this is getting ridiculous.

Can't wait to be an old man and argue with cyber teens that the 2017 Dubs would've demolished the 2045 Miami Arcology UltraHeat

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

zoux posted:

Look you put your balls on ONE girls head and suddenly you're a

e:
https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/873190577952747520

MORE GOLD MEDALS for the US? Well, if you insist.

Will be great to watch and interesting to see how seriously it's taken. Obviously USA will dominate if any all-stars want to bother playing, but if other nations send out their strongest teams it could be reasonably close.

France - Gobert, Batum, Fournier could win
Latvia - Porzingis, Bertans and some other dude
Serbia - Jokic, Dragic, Teodosic
Spain - Rubio, Mirotic and Ibaka running pick and pops all day

I presume though that the best players will play the proper 5 on 5 tournament and not bother with the 3 on 3.

Unless the 3 on 3 is held in a compressed schedule over two days and Lebron is like "that sounds fun, I'll just fly in win another gold medal and then stick around and bang some hotties in the Olympic village for a few days before heading home"

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 9, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Will be great to watch and interesting to see how seriously it's taken. Obviously USA will dominate if any all-stars want to bother playing, but if other nations send out their strongest teams it could be reasonably close.

I presume though that the best players will play the proper 5 on 5 tournament and not bother with the 3 on 3.

I mean, if the Grand Prize of the BIG 3 league isn't the right to rep the US at the Olympics, it's a major oversight on the part of this nation.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Why in the gently caress would Spain pick Ibaka or Mirotic over Marc.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watch 3 on 3 basketball slowly supercede 5 on 5

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

they better have a national 3 on 3 tournament to decide the olympic team.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Lebron, Draymond and 2 Chainz talk about basketball at a barbershop. Sure, why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ypwbI1NtG4

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

Marc is old and breaks down a lot and honestly should probably just take the time off. His best skill, team defense, is also kind of obviated in 3 on 3.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
3 on 3 is going to be a lot of fun

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
only 16 more days until the debut of Big3

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DeimosRising posted:

Marc is old and breaks down a lot and honestly should probably just take the time off. His best skill, team defense, is also kind of obviated in 3 on 3.

He's a 7fter that can space and hit 3s, can pass and move well without the ball.

The Injury issues maybe, but Marc is like 32 years old. that's post prime, but not quite old yet.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dexo posted:

From my vast 3 on 3 experience (playing a lot of 2k online), he wouldn't be mobile enough defensively. Also big men with perimeter shots are loving murder to play against in 3 on 3 - though that said Gasol probably had as good as season shooting threes than either of them so never mind.

It's all academic though because it will be in 2020 so both Marc and Ibaka will be old and broken by then and Mirotic will be a two time all-star on the world champion 76ers and will be a no brainer pick.

A bigger mistake was my including the Slovenian Goran Dragic in the Serbia team...

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 9, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

He's a 7fter that can space and hit 3s, can pass and move well without the ball.

The Injury issues maybe, but Marc is like 32 years old. that's post prime, but not quite old yet.

I wonder if the value of regular (as in non-Giannis-type Moves Like A Guard) bigs might be slightly less valuable in 3 on 3 because it's harder just to hang around the rim and you need to be better at defending the dribble

Kyrie would be one of the best 3 on 3 dudes in the world I think

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Patty Mills, the regenerated corpse of Andrew Bogut, Matthew Dellavedova.

Are there subs in this? Jingles off the bench.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah. Kyrie, Lebron(or Giannis If Bron is too old), and Kawhi, would be a murderers row.

Lebron/Kawhi could defend any of the Bigs. unless they are like a pure physical one(where they would dominate them on the offensive end)

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
OK, that ESPN barbershop thing is funny.

"There was a NCAA division 2 game on TV, and I made my wife watch it with me. They ran flex. They ran flex for 40 minutes straight! They won 45-39, and I am not naming the school!"

- Lebron James

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Giannis would probably play for Greece

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
we'd have to be represented by the American Giannis I guess. KD had better play Olympic Ball again after the bullshit he pulled this offseason

Steph Curry had a chance to win back the love of America in 2016 but he cowarded out of Rio. Draymond is cool tho

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

FIBA 3 x 3 tournament rules: http://www.fiba.com/documents/2016/01/29/3x3%20Rules%20of%20the%20game%202016%20table.pdf

3 players + 1 sub (can sub at any deadball)
Half court
Score 1s and 2s
First to 21 or whoever is leading after 10 minutes
12 second shot clock
Take it out beyond the arc on a rebound
Defence gets ball on made basket

1s and 2s mean Kyrie and Curry would absolutely kill in this.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Question: when was the last time the best player in the league was foreign? Dirk? I know he won MVP in 06-07 but that was a close year. Before that is had to be Hakeem.

Soon it will be Giannis

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

tanglewood1420 posted:

FIBA 3 x 3 tournament rules: http://www.fiba.com/documents/2016/01/29/3x3%20Rules%20of%20the%20game%202016%20table.pdf

3 players + 1 sub (can sub at any deadball)
Half court
Score 1s and 2s
First to 21 or whoever is leading after 10 minutes
12 second shot clock
Take it out beyond the arc on a rebound
Defence gets ball on made basket

1s and 2s mean Kyrie and Curry would absolute kill in this.

These rules seem really fun y'all

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

we'd have to be represented by the American Giannis I guess. KD had better play Olympic Ball again after the bullshit he pulled this offseason

Steph Curry had a chance to win back the love of America in 2016 but he cowarded out of Rio. Draymond is cool tho

Paul George showed his bravery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Paul George showed his bravery

deserves the Medal of Honor imho. More than that fraud Charles Lindbergh at least

• Locked thread