Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Don't trust a single thing in a Fraser Institute report. I read one a few years ago where they concluded that fully private auto insurance was the cheapest, public-private (like BC) was in the middle, and public insurance was the most expensive. This was so obviously untrue that I read the whole thing and examined their data. Turns out they used entirely different metrics for the three different systems that just so happened to confirm their agenda.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

James Baud posted:

There was a Fraser Institute thing (I think?) on teacher salaries across Canada that showed the median Manitoba teacher was paid at about the 94th percentile of incomes in the province. (And teachers were at least 2% of all earners themselves)

If that's typical of the public service there, the answer is likely "yes".

Public sector employees have a significant wage premium over their private sector counterparts, especially if you factor in retirement benefits/pensions.

Teachers are arguably the best example of that gap -- private school teachers basically everywhere except a negligible handful of elite private schools make way less, have virtually no job security/control over teaching conditions, and certainly have no pension plan. But the differences there are partially attributable to union/non-union jobs as well the public/private difference.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

blah_blah posted:

Public sector employees have a significant wage premium over their private sector counterparts, especially if you factor in retirement benefits/pensions.

Teachers are arguably the best example of that gap -- private school teachers basically everywhere except a negligible handful of elite private schools make way less, have virtually no job security/control over teaching conditions, and certainly have no pension plan. But the differences there are partially attributable to union/non-union jobs as well the public/private difference.

Pfffffft.....

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah Fraser Institute "data" and "studies" aren't just biased they're full on North Korean levels of just outright fabricated propaganda with the thinnest of dressings over top.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 26, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

blah_blah posted:

Don't forget that teachers working private schools can be hired without a teacher's certificate so basically anyone too dumb to pass the one-year course to get a teaching degree but still wants to be a teacher has no other options.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-party-membership-list-trost-leak-nfa-1.4152275

TL;DR Brad Trost's campaign is in trouble for allegedly leaking CPC membership lists to the National Firearms Association.

Can't say as I was totally surprised to read this. My brother is a welder in Alberta and registered with the CPC to participate in the party's leadership race. Not long after signing up, he started getting shitloads of junk mail from various conservative groups not directly affiliated with the CPC-- the National Firearms Association, Albertans for an Affordable Future and the Alberta Freedom Party, which is apparently dedicated to achieving recognition for Alberta as a distinct society within confederation or just outright independence if that falls through.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

Don't forget that teachers working private schools can be hired without a teacher's certificate so basically anyone too dumb to pass the one-year course to get a teaching degree but still wants to be a teacher has no other options.

This is technically true but there are enough certified teachers looking for work that private schools pull from that pool. Nobody is working at a private school (in the Lower Mainland) without it unless its part time for very specialized positions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fearless posted:

dedicated to achieving recognition for Alberta as a distinct society within confederation

aahhahahahaha

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

If Theresa May resigns we need to BOMBARD Christy Clark with screencaps

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Corbyn's victory(not outright, but in a sense) is like a vision of what could have been if our bearded NDP leader didn't trip over himself trying to out-centerist the Liberal party

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
May unemployment numbers. #ABstronk

— Regina 4.7 (4.6)

— Saskatoon 8.3 (7.8)

— Calgary 9.3 (9.3)

— Edmonton 7.9 (8.1)

— Newfoundland and Labrador 14.8 per cent (14.0)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

DariusLikewise posted:

Corbyn's victory(not outright, but in a sense) is like a vision of what could have been if our bearded NDP leader didn't trip over himself trying to out-centerist the Liberal party

Eh, I don't think so. Corbyn is a very different kind of politician than Mulcair or any of the other NDP leadership candidates. I'd like to say that his success reflects a point I've been hammering on for years in various iterations of this thread about the importance of strong leftist institutions and on building up the organizational capacity of the left instead of relying on individuals and personality driven campaigns. Corbyn would never have become labour leader, and wouldn't have survived the multiple challenges to his leadership since 2015, if he hadn't been able to rely on a strong network of well mobilized activists.

From my understanding of how things went down Corbyn was effectively drafted by a larger movement that needed some kind of representative. He was hardly an ideal candidate either, he just happened to be available and was sufficiently ideologically pure that people began to mobilize behind him and enthusiasm built. Think of what a contrast that is to someone like Charlie Angus, Jagmeet Singh or even Nikki Ashton. All of them have pre-selected teams and have been putting all their ducks in a row for years, maneuvering to get the best possible position in anticipation of a leadership run that will focus heavily on their personality and media savvy. In the UK there was seemingly a much heavier element of the movement selecting the leader rather than the leader assembling a movement by name-checking the right interest groups and stakeholders.

The real work of building a leftist party and advancing a leftist candidate happens before the campaign or even the leadership race. It's a multi-year and probably multi-decade project. Mulcair would likely have been better than Trudeau but he was never going to be a left-wing leader and I'm still skeptical about how far to the left the current NDP is capable of going. In part that's because conditions aren't nearly as bad in Canada (for the average voter) as they are in Britain. Really I would say the challenge right now is trying to organize and preparation for the bad economic times to come rather than agonizing over how to win the next election.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I went out for drinks last night with some acquaintances of mine I hadn't seen in a long time. I learned many interesting things, such as: Trump did the right thing pulling out of the Paris Accord, all Muslims gently caress camels and goats in preference to women, Notley is a oval office, Trudeau is a bastard, and a mutual friend of ours should go back to a job he hated that pays less than his new job, in order to make their lives easier. All this and many other interesting tidbits! I don't know if I've changed that much leftward, or if I'm basically just the same as I always was and everyone else went loving nuts.

Maybe Calgary and Alberta deserve what we're getting. Maybe we're not even getting as bad as we deserve...

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Helsing posted:

Eh, I don't think so. Corbyn is a very different kind of politician than Mulcair or any of the other NDP leadership candidates. I'd like to say that his success reflects a point I've been hammering on for years in various iterations of this thread about the importance of strong leftist institutions and on building up the organizational capacity of the left instead of relying on individuals and personality driven campaigns. Corbyn would never have become labour leader, and wouldn't have survived the multiple challenges to his leadership since 2015, if he hadn't been able to rely on a strong network of well mobilized activists.

From my understanding of how things went down Corbyn was effectively drafted by a larger movement that needed some kind of representative. He was hardly an ideal candidate either, he just happened to be available and was sufficiently ideologically pure that people began to mobilize behind him and enthusiasm built. Think of what a contrast that is to someone like Charlie Angus, Jagmeet Singh or even Nikki Ashton. All of them have pre-selected teams and have been putting all their ducks in a row for years, maneuvering to get the best possible position in anticipation of a leadership run that will focus heavily on their personality and media savvy. In the UK there was seemingly a much heavier element of the movement selecting the leader rather than the leader assembling a movement by name-checking the right interest groups and stakeholders.

The real work of building a leftist party and advancing a leftist candidate happens before the campaign or even the leadership race. It's a multi-year and probably multi-decade project. Mulcair would likely have been better than Trudeau but he was never going to be a left-wing leader and I'm still skeptical about how far to the left the current NDP is capable of going. In part that's because conditions aren't nearly as bad in Canada (for the average voter) as they are in Britain. Really I would say the challenge right now is trying to organize and preparation for the bad economic times to come rather than agonizing over how to win the next election.

Yeah, leftist NDP supporters seem to think that they need a true leftist leader to shake things up, not realizing that there needs to be a true ground-up support. When the only voices your party hears are career-minded apparatchiks, don't be surprised that they look to career-minded leaders.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

I went out for drinks last night with some acquaintances of mine I hadn't seen in a long time. I learned many interesting things, such as: Trump did the right thing pulling out of the Paris Accord, all Muslims gently caress camels and goats in preference to women, Notley is a oval office, Trudeau is a bastard, and a mutual friend of ours should go back to a job he hated that pays less than his new job, in order to make their lives easier. All this and many other interesting tidbits! I don't know if I've changed that much leftward, or if I'm basically just the same as I always was and everyone else went loving nuts.

Maybe Calgary and Alberta deserve what we're getting. Maybe we're not even getting as bad as we deserve...

maybe you and your friends are just human garbage????????????/

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

The mainstream that used to be considered Conservative has veered off into loony land. It's a real mess for democracies everywhere I think, not just Alberta.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A posted:

We had a guy with an attitude much like your friends posting garbage opinions like those in this very thread some years ago, but he got a lot better. So there's always hope!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Canadian electorate and parliament are not the UK parliament, they essentially have a two party system and Canadian young people are not going to be energized to organize politically

I bet if Trudeau pulled a May and called a snap election for no reason he'd be able to turn his sizeable majority into a ridiculous one

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

We had a guy with an attitude much like your friends posting garbage opinions like those in this very thread some years ago, but he got a lot better. So there's always hope!

Heh, I don't think I was ever quite that bad.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, leftist NDP supporters seem to think that they need a true leftist leader to shake things up, not realizing that there needs to be a true ground-up support. When the only voices your party hears are career-minded apparatchiks, don't be surprised that they look to career-minded leaders.

Sadly the one NDP leader who seemed to understand it in the last 50 years is now very dead. Back when the 2011 elections happened there were jokes in QC about complete unknowns being sent to Ottawa on little more than popular anger , but the last 8 years before that was the first time the NDP had actually started working directly and visibly with Quebec's social movements and the first time they basically made sure to run locals in all 75 ridings and it ended up paying off bit by bit with special elections before the 2011 generals.

(Not that it will stop me from lamenting the fact that Layton represented a push to the right I was slightly uncomfortable with at the time)

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 9, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

There are otherwise intelligent people who have individual-centric (right) or group-centric (left) dispositions when it comes to policy but your friends just sound dumb.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

mojo1701a posted:

There is one NDP candidate who has made their campaign specifically about building support within leftist movements but they are widely derided even among progressive people, so instead we end up like dudes like Charlie Angus: nice enough, but no real energy behind them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cowofwar posted:

There are otherwise intelligent people who have individual-centric (right) or group-centric (left) dispositions when it comes to policy but your friends just sound dumb.

I didn't say "friends" in my post, I said "acquaintances" and I said it for a specific reason. They are very, very dumb, and I don't really want to hang out with people who have that toxic of a worldview any more.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

A Typical Goon posted:

The Canadian electorate and parliament are not the UK parliament, they essentially have a two party system and Canadian young people are not going to be energized to organize politically

I bet if Trudeau pulled a May and called a snap election for no reason he'd be able to turn his sizeable majority into a ridiculous one

You know, with Britain leaving the EU, Corbyn having just returned from the dead, Sanders being the most popular politician in America and Donald loving Trump as President of the United States maybe it's time to stop making these kinds of sweeping proclamations? It's only a couple years ago that everyone thought our own Liberal party was close to extinction.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Helsing posted:

You know, with Britain leaving the EU, Corbyn having just returned from the dead, Sanders being the most popular politician in America and Donald loving Trump as President of the United States maybe it's time to stop making these kinds of sweeping proclamations? It's only a couple years ago that everyone thought our own Liberal party was close to extinction.

Who even knows what's going on anymore but I'm starting to get used to the chaos. Absurdity fits like an old sweater by this point

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Helsing posted:

That's also because a good portion of Canadians call themselves "decidedly moderates" but their self-professed "politeness" doesn't allow them to call the right-wing on their poo poo, but is totally OK to poo poo on leftists for calling the right-wing on their poo poo.

"Yeah, I know, but..." is their call.

It permeates Canadian culture way outside of politics, too.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

I went out for drinks last night with some acquaintances of mine I hadn't seen in a long time. I learned many interesting things, such as: Trump did the right thing pulling out of the Paris Accord, all Muslims gently caress camels and goats in preference to women, Notley is a oval office, Trudeau is a bastard, and a mutual friend of ours should go back to a job he hated that pays less than his new job, in order to make their lives easier. All this and many other interesting timbits! I don't know if I've changed that much leftward, or if I'm basically just the same as I always was and everyone else went loving nuts.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Typical Goon posted:

Yeah that's what May thought and look how that turned out.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Helsing posted:

I was making a broad generalization of the whole NDP in general, Mulcair is just a symptom of an issue in the party where they've recruited ex-Liberals for years thinking going down the middle would be a path to power. Seeing Tom go from Angry Tom in opposition to Harper to Uncle Tom in debates basically sealed their fate.

Corbyn has been hated by the Blairites in his party for years, but he's won his constituency now 9 years in a row so they had a reason to keep him around. It was some combination of older hardline union members and young members looking for change that allowed him to take control of the party. That Blairite group tried to take him down after Brexit and were ready to take him down for good this time if the UK election didn't go the way it did. Corbyn's greatest accomplishment now though is getting hundreds of thousands of 18-25 years on board with his old school politics and giving them an actual reason to get up and vote. I believe that while it may take a movement to get a leader in place(and in Corbyn's case by the smallest of margins) that leader needs to charismatic to energize younger voters to turn up in General Elections.

A Typical Goon posted:

When looking past the Labour party and the Tories, the Lib-Dems still exist in England to split the Labour vote and the Scottish Labour exist to split the Labour vote in Scotland. If this were a true two-party race, Prime Minister-Elect Corbyn would be delivering a victory speech to his Parliamentary majority right now.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

It's only a couple years ago that everyone thought our own Liberal party was close to extinction.

I have a recurring event on my calendar, every March 25th, called "Ignatieff destroys the Liberal Party party" to commemorate his non-confidence vote that triggered their near collapse. The first few years were more fun than the last couple.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Fearless posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-party-membership-list-trost-leak-nfa-1.4152275

TL;DR Brad Trost's campaign is in trouble for allegedly leaking CPC membership lists to the National Firearms Association.

Can't say as I was totally surprised to read this. My brother is a welder in Alberta and registered with the CPC to participate in the party's leadership race. Not long after signing up, he started getting shitloads of junk mail from various conservative groups not directly affiliated with the CPC-- the National Firearms Association, Albertans for an Affordable Future and the Alberta Freedom Party, which is apparently dedicated to achieving recognition for Alberta as a distinct society within confederation or just outright independence if that falls through.

The Alberta Freedom Party shows up to all the gun shows that roll through town and are absolutely hilarious in person. Wish I kept some of their hand outs because they look like what someone running for junior high class president would put out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There's not even anything distinct about being the proud Albertan oil-loving trucknut-bearing rural hicks, like every rural area in Canada/BC does that already.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe we should open a potash mine in Dudsbury or something so these loving hicks can work 17 hour days and be too tired for political action

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe their thinking is just "well Quebec gets all sorts of special attention, we want that too!"

I mean never mind that Alberta already gets special attention because of oil.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Maybe their thinking is just "well Quebec gets all sorts of special attention, we want that too!"

I mean never mind that Alberta already gets special attention because of oil.

Not anymore :ssh:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Hey guys lets circle jerk hate Alberta for 30 posts always great to do something new

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Risky Bisquick posted:

May unemployment numbers. #ABstronk

— Regina 4.7 (4.6)

— Saskatoon 8.3 (7.8)

— Calgary 9.3 (9.3)

— Edmonton 7.9 (8.1)

— Newfoundland and Labrador 14.8 per cent (14.0)

I'm so glad the PC party is basically assured a win here next election. :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

cougar cub posted:

Hey guys lets circle jerk hate Alberta for 30 posts always great to do something new

They deserve it.

We all deserve it.