Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

dudes gearin up for another run for sure. after this debacle he thinks he can win as a center right career politician by being the adult in the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mastershakeman posted:

turns out the glasses made him smart, after all

That's the reason his ranch was called "N-----head", without his glasses he couldn't see the sign and had no idea

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Dexo posted:

Oddly enough the person in the administration who comes out looking the best is Rick loving Perry. Because he's just stayed quiet listened to the career people, and is just doing his job.

he got lost touring a missile silo and no one has seen him since

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Those Kirsten Gillibrand quotes sound less pander-y and more "ask me what I think after my fifth beer"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Rick Perry isn't stupid or even a particularly bad guy at his core I think, he's just super obviously corrupt and only cares about making more money for himself and his buddies. Him supporting wind power wouldn't be a surprise, because he probably knows a few people that make or erect the turbines, since they're big in Texas now. Anything he says or does is purely profit motivated

Take the ranch name. Was there profit to be made in painting over it, prolly not. Could he potentially profit by show rich racist white dudes in Texas he was cool with it, prolly. Does publicly disavowing the name profit him? Yes.

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 9, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
"This person dropped a f bomb , obviously this demonstrates their capabilities and how they have great policy" - attributed to a loving Idiot

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Let me know when trump has a million bodies on his name.

Well the AHCA's about to pass the senate, so just give it a few months.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Hollismason posted:

"This person dropped a f bomb , obviously this demonstrates their capabilities and how they have great policy" - attributed to a loving Idiot

like i guess you're basically at a point where there's no way you can be convinced that cursing like a normal person wasn't a pandering move? cool?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

he got lost touring a missile silo and no one has seen him since

To be fair, noone's really looked for him.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Hollismason posted:

People are not robots and despite the fact that nerds insist on it, you don't win debates by using logos as your only rhetorical appeal. Dropping an curse in the heat of the moment can show some humanity.

That said yeah, don't make it a gimmick because it's not really effective when people get used to it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jaxyon posted:

I got my issues with HamNo(he's got the berniebro "if we fix class we fix race" blindness) but OK

awesome KG quotes tho. She trying to get on the Dem ticket?

Gillebrand is definitely angling for the 2020 nomination.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Maybe they just put glasses on random republican #534 and are calling him Rick Perry.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

evilweasel posted:

Gillibrand/Harris 2020 is not a bad ticket, I dunno....I think my bar is so low

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

J.K. Rowling is as pro twitter follow, tho.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Gillibrand/Harris 2020 is not a bad ticket, I dunno....I think my bar is so low

I'd wait till 2020 to render a verdict on Kamala Harris; although I like what I've seen from her so far.

And no one should mention Elizabeth Warren. She's in her mid-60s, she doesn't have the charisma for the national stage, and I'm loving tired of fending off surprise Republican challengers here in MA.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/RepMarkTakano/status/873219652004007936

How anyone sees this man and thinks "Presidential" baffles me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"Hey that person curses like me I'm an awesome person and normal maybe that person is also awesome and normal" - Me, I said that

In seriousness, I've though Gillibrand has been great for a long time. I was hoping she'd be the vp.(though with Hillary that would be a slim possibility because it would force NY electors to split the ticket, and in a narrow election would result in the bizarre circumstance of Hillary being president with VP being thrown to the house.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 9, 2017

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Dietrich posted:

J.K. Rowling is as pro twitter follow, tho.

I get enough terrible Harry Potter political analogies on Facebook, thanks.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Alter Ego posted:

I'd wait till 2020 to render a verdict on Kamala Harris; although I like what I've seen from her so far.

She's doing what she needs to do if she's angling for it. But she's a bit of an unknown in SoCal so I don't have a good sense of her.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

"Hey that person curses like me I'm an awesome person and normal maybe that person is also awesome and normal" - Me, I said that

In seriousness, I've though Gillibrand has been great for a long time. I was hoping she'd be the vp.

Alternately "hey, maybe she's not reciting this from memory, maybe she feels strongly enough about it that she's not afraid to use a goddamn curse word".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

evilweasel posted:

Which Democrat isn't though? I mean if you can get yourself on that ticket you got a pretty drat good loving shot at the top job and there's no clear anointed successor this time around. Odds are they're going to make the 2016 Republican field look downright modest.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Alter Ego posted:

And no one should mention Elizabeth Warren. She's in her mid-60s, she doesn't have the charisma for the national stage, and I'm loving tired of fending off surprise Republican challengers here in MA.

Warren is WAY more effective in the Senate.

Use her in campaign appearances but let her do her thing in Congress.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

awesome KG quotes tho. She trying to get on the Dem ticket?

The 3 Democrat senators who are making it the most obvious to everyone that they are in for 2020 (even though Gillibrand recently said no, no one believes it) are Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, and Kirsten Gillibrand.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rigel posted:

The 3 Democrat senators who are making it the most obvious to everyone that they are in for 2020 (even though Gillibrand recently said no, no one believes it) are Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, and Kirsten Gillibrand.

Booker is going to get Jebbed hard in the primary by anyone running to his left, aka the entire rest of the field.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Which Democrat isn't though? I mean if you can get yourself on that ticket you got a pretty drat good loving shot at the top job and there's no clear anointed successor this time around. Odds are they're going to make the 2016 Republican field look downright modest.

The ones who aren't natural born citizens or won't be 35 in time. That's probably it. But Gillebrand is putting in more obvious effort than most.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's not a heat of the moment when you keep saying it over and over then it's your catchphrase

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

Trump will probably also get a serious primary challenge from at least Kasich if no one else.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hollismason posted:

It's not a heat of the moment when you keep saying it over and over the it's your catchphrase

Why is this such a huge deal to you? I don't give a poo poo if she swears and that alone doesn't get my vote, but it can motivate people out of passion if used appropriately

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Decorum has served the Democrats so well up do this point, they really need to keep that arrow in their quiver.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's not but it's totally loving pandering. Everyone here seems to be real excited about how now Gillibrand is " telling it how it is"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
As a resident of NJ, a strange and hostile land whose foreign tongue uses the word "gently caress" instead of a comma, I'd hesitate to call any form of profanity a "catchphrase"

In short,

You're an imbecile.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hollismason posted:

It's not a heat of the moment when you keep saying it over and over then it's your catchphrase

Fffffffuuuuuuckkkkkkkk offffffffffffffff.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Hollismason posted:

It's not but it's totally loving pandering. Everyone here seems to be real excited about how now Gillibrand is " telling it how it is"

porque no los dos

it's me, the person who knows it is pandering but is also excited to be pandered to

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

sean10mm posted:

Decorum has served the Democrats so well up do this point, they really need to keep that arrow in their quiver.

I would say this is a bit like "Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker?" But seriously he should consider it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

" Politics should become more circus like " - some loving idiot

Gillibramd may not be lowering the bar but she sure as gently caress is holding it down.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hollismason posted:

" Politicians should become more circus like " - some loving idiot

Gillibramd may not be lowering the bar but she sure as gently caress is holding it down.

Go take your meds or whatever it is you do when you act less like an idiot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

So?

People should be loving angry. Voice it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Politics has always been a goddamn circus, might as well make the most of it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

Politics is already a circus and absent a plan or ability to raise the bar back up, rolling with it is the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Stop using profanity you're keeping the bar down.

• Locked thread