Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

TheWetFish posted:

If it's mostly the early progression that's giving you trouble then consider something like Steiner Foundation

I saved myself from bankruptcy by the skin of my teeth. All is well now!

Although I do think he swung the rewards pendulum a bit too far the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Aaaaaaahhhh Blackrock is out yesssss.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ah the Asura, for when you need to solo a Hegemony admiralty convention.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Am I missing something or is the Karkinos kinda weak now? I don't think seriously played with Blackrock since before the Knight got it's current armored shrimp looking model, for reference. Used to be, the Kark was a bit flimsier than the other Battleships but could still favorably engage an Onslaught or Paragon if you used it's ability super aggressively to force an overload and then burned your target down before they could recover. Now, it seems like there's no way to do more than strip the armor off an Onslaught before it recovers and magdumps annihilators into you, and BRDY PD can't even remotely handle annihilator spam, so you just get shredded. I dunno if BRDY lost a lot of burst damage or vanilla battleships are just nastier now, but either way, I'm at a loss as to how to actually take an Onslaught one on one.

Outside of duels, I used to be able to do the single Kark vs Heg fleet mission I forget the name of pretty reliably, though it was never a 100% sure thing and was always difficult. Now it seems I just get my armor shredded in the first couple seconds of an engagement with more than a couple of frigates and a destroyer and then picked apart over the next thirty. Deracinator takes too long to cooldown, so it really only seems to work as an oh poo poo button once.

Tell me I'm bad, I guess, because I'm sort of at a loss as to why I should fly a Kark over a Nevermore anymore. Which makes me sad, because I've always loved the Kark.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

Am I missing something or is the Karkinos kinda weak now? I don't think seriously played with Blackrock since before the Knight got it's current armored shrimp looking model, for reference. Used to be, the Kark was a bit flimsier than the other Battleships but could still favorably engage an Onslaught or Paragon if you used it's ability super aggressively to force an overload and then burned your target down before they could recover. Now, it seems like there's no way to do more than strip the armor off an Onslaught before it recovers and magdumps annihilators into you, and BRDY PD can't even remotely handle annihilator spam, so you just get shredded. I dunno if BRDY lost a lot of burst damage or vanilla battleships are just nastier now, but either way, I'm at a loss as to how to actually take an Onslaught one on one.

Outside of duels, I used to be able to do the single Kark vs Heg fleet mission I forget the name of pretty reliably, though it was never a 100% sure thing and was always difficult. Now it seems I just get my armor shredded in the first couple seconds of an engagement with more than a couple of frigates and a destroyer and then picked apart over the next thirty. Deracinator takes too long to cooldown, so it really only seems to work as an oh poo poo button once.

Tell me I'm bad, I guess, because I'm sort of at a loss as to why I should fly a Kark over a Nevermore anymore. Which makes me sad, because I've always loved the Kark.

Could always shove a pair of typhoon reapers in the medium universal slots. Not exactly brdy kit but it beats pretending the fury can crack capital armor quickly.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 8, 2017

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Remember to include vmparams ram settings (java virtual machine heap size) when diagnosing save crash issues. Having the maximum size the same as the initialised size can help to isolate out a particular timeout issue when the usage needs to suddenly grow on demand, such as when saving. It's a fairly niche issue but a bastard to otherwise diagnose

i.e. set them the same -Xms3G -Xmx3G -Xss1024k

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPgZDhGICo

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

TheWetFish posted:

Sounds like it's all working as intended

... Did you make it? :eek:

Yep, if barely. At first I ran for the only other starting system my faction had, which was already conquered by Luddites when I wasn't looking. But, my guys did some random conquering of their own so I dropped my stuff off there then went out on another survey expedition while things played out. The Templars were actually repulsed, thank god.

My fleet is now mature, I've got several new faction destroyers, a couple cruisers, and 1 capital. Also a few random especially good non faction ships. However, those guys are not the superstar.

This guy is:

That codex description is too modest. This thing is a loving monster. Peep that speed, and remember this thing is a destroyer. All those weapons in the description are built into the hull. And it's got better flux stats and hull than a medusa to boot. Fewer actual mounts, but whatever. The special ability is just phase skimmer by another name.

And this is what I fit it with. All the scavenged Templar tech I could find. Up top is a light Phase Lance from some mod, in the middle is a medium beam burst PD. The built in parts are ~70 degree arc beam PD, the missiles are like fast tracking single warhead Sabots. Reinforced bulkheads because this is the only one I've ever seen for sale (or at all) and I never want to let it go.

This thing zooms around combat like crazy, strikes poo poo hard and fast with utter impunity, and fades back out again. It's got enough PD to stop a full Enforcer 4x Annihilator wave.

Now, it's rare, and it cost more than most cruisers (worth every penny, of course.) But, seeing as it gets as many kills as the rest of my fleet combined, it may be a bit overpowered, even without the Templar gear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DME ships in general have utterly absurd flux dissipation which makes them all extremely powerful.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

DME ships in general have utterly absurd flux dissipation which makes them all extremely powerful.

It is looking a bit strange to me but I'm not familiar with DME; what are it's weaknesses?

I would've expected restricted number of mounts or bad shield efficiency in the 1.2-1.4 range with that sort of flux dissipation on a destroyer frame. Although, reviewing the Sunder & Medusa it does look fairly sensible, being pretty close to a medusa and less flux dissipation than a Sunder. Maybe it's just me not understanding this particular niche of ship

Auxiliary Thrusters is a pro pick for a phase skimming craft :golfclap:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
gotta go fast

fake edit: weaknesses are "none", ha ha ha. I'm not very familiar with the other factions in the game, but the only thing that immediately springs to mind is that they are skewed strongly towards beams and kinetics - they have very few explosive weapons, period, and they tend to be hard to find. Their ships might have fewer weapon mounts than most, but they tend to have a lot of built in weapons and flexible mounts, and high flux so it just means you put on fewer high flux weapons instead of more lower flux ones. Half or more of their special abilities are the equivalent of Burn Drive which I guess is maybe a weakness?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Has anyone modded in the ability to colonize new systems yet? I'd love a faction to migrate out to the fringe and build up their economy for a while.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Well then

EDIT: So yeah, Ironweavers + Scalarons seem to be a winning combo for loving up Onslaughts and the like. It's always costly, but I can at least reliably do it. I didn't even know the Ironweaver existed.

Now to see how well this works with player skills applied :getin:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 9, 2017

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
seconding dassault mikoyan ships being obnoxious to deal with

I had to make a fury torpedo specced Mantis just to pop a kobra mk3 in simulation, and even with two fury torpedo racks and a fury launcher,

it was still a loving close fight

seriously, 5 deployment cost and it clowns on frigates that cost more and are supposed to be more powerful

edit: btw putting a fury torpedo launcher and two fury torpedo racks in addition to extended missile racks on a Mantis gives you a 9 torpedo alpha strike on a super mobile hella fast platform that has that turbo boost ability that is sexy as hell

I soloed an Eagle cruiser by zipping around it and unloading hell into it's rear end

edit2: cycerin you might want to reduce the fire rate on fury racks (not launchers), I'm not lying when I say that a Mantis can get an effective 9 torp alpha strike, it's loving obscene

fishception fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 9, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sperglord Firecock posted:

edit2: cycerin you might want to reduce the fire rate on fury racks (not launchers), I'm not lying when I say that a Mantis can get an effective 9 torp alpha strike, it's loving obscene

It's already half the speed you can poo poo out hammers.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

dis astranagant posted:

It's already half the speed you can poo poo out hammers.

yeah but it seemed like fury torps do solid flux damage when hitting shields and hammers do considerably less

maybe I've got it wrong, but hammers always felt rather meh

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I always like hammers for early game battles where it's usually just frigates. Enough damage to one shot any unshielded frigate and I kinda like the fast speed as opposed to the tracking of harpoons, which sometimes maneuvers in such a way as to miss a target that it has no business missing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

yeah but it seemed like fury torps do solid flux damage when hitting shields and hammers do considerably less

maybe I've got it wrong, but hammers always felt rather meh

If you're shooting hammers at shields you're doing something wrong. They're not nearly as brutal against capitals as reapers but against anything else they'll finish off an overloaded ship good and proper. And they're essentially free to mount, unlike Furies. I'm usually more interested in Sabots since a few of those will overload drat near anything but finishing things off with torpedoes is a time honored tradition.

Furies are more versatile (especially with BRDY strike suite) but Hammers are dirt cheap to own and operate and available basically everywhere. The things cost all of 2 OP so jam them on any slot you don't have plan for so you can put big kinetics elsewhere.

For a good time get one of the remnant frigates and pile on hammers in all the small synergies and a typhoon reaper in the medium. Onslaughts take a bit of work but Dominators go down nice and easy.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 9, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Wait. You can get remnant frigates?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Anticheese posted:

Wait. You can get remnant frigates?

with the right mods yes

seems kinda gamey though, especially with no crew requirements

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Without that you can always go with the Afflictor. Or better yet the Harbinger with its target takes double damage button and 30 reapers. Might not be a lot of torpedoes at once but they're drat fine ones. The point being that torpedo alpha strikes are just something that comes up as a natural feature of letting the player use missile mounts.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 9, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
What's a good loadout for the TT Brawler that the AI can handle? I've tried a few that seem like they'd be good in the hands of a player but it seems like the AI just can't figure out quite what to do with the ship most of the time. It'll either not take advantage of all its weapons or it'll do stupid poo poo and get itself killed and it will often face targets sideways for reasons I can't explain.

2x Sabot launchers, a Phase Lance, and an Ion Beam seem to work really well against other frigates, when the AI actually decides to fire off a Sabot that is.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

my kinda ape posted:

What's a good loadout for the TT Brawler that the AI can handle? I've tried a few that seem like they'd be good in the hands of a player but it seems like the AI just can't figure out quite what to do with the ship most of the time. It'll either not take advantage of all its weapons or it'll do stupid poo poo and get itself killed and it will often face targets sideways for reasons I can't explain.

2x Sabot launchers, a Phase Lance, and an Ion Beam seem to work really well against other frigates, when the AI actually decides to fire off a Sabot that is.

Turning sideways can sometimes be an attempt to flank but with insufficient speed nor manoeuvrability. Aux Thrusters can sometimes help but I doubt it for a Brawler specifically. I put more non-brawler ships in combat so that they flank instead and the Brawler can get along with pointing at the target
Turning sideways can also sometimes be the AI's extreme reluctance to present damaged armour facings to enemy fire, which can be quite problematic for narrow arc hardpoints (particularly for hardpoints & shield bypass)

Different officer attitudes can help a lot with ranging & engagement issues. I tend to preference my AI ships with longer range and higher impulse weapons, to compliment their general tendency to be flux cautious and not be in weapon range for continuous periods. I haven't fully absorbed the 0.8.1a AI changes yet though, so we'll see how much that alters behaviour

Grav Beam & Ion Beam seems fine, although I'd personally swap the sabots for more defence (although massed sabots did generally prove to be brutally effective last tournament). If you're not in stock vanilla then maybe consider a lightning gun

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
What do you mean by more defence? Point defense guns(this won't work because the mounts are forward facing) or just leave them empty for more vents/capacitors/mods?

My testing was entirely 1v1 simulations vs other frigates so it's not a super great measurement of its performance. The Sabots seemed good because 1-2 would instantly overload a Wolf and then the Ion Beam/Phase Lance would completely plaster it in seconds. Also yeah a Graviton Beam sounds like it'd be perfect!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 9, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pulse lasers tend to be the best option for getting the ai to annoy other frigates and civilian destroyers. It's one of the few energy weapons that both deals hard flux damage and that the ai will actually fire on anything smaller than an Aurora. Beams work best in large engagements where it can kick back and ruin someone's flux dissipation while your other ships do the actual killing.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Pulse lasers are my bread and butter in this game.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

my kinda ape posted:

What do you mean by more defence? Point defense guns(this won't work because the mounts are forward facing) or just leave them empty for more vents/capacitors/mods?

Yep, vents/capacitors/mods

Pulse Laser is a good recommendation. I skip it myself as it doesn't fit my current doctrine but it is a solid weapon

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Question to the modders: can someone point me at what files I need to be modifying to rip out commission requirements for weapons and ships? I'm fine leaving vanilla factions as commission-dependent.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The BRDY Scorpion is disgustingly good for its class.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else having problems with saving taking forever and occasionally crashing? I'm doing my first 8.1a game with a number of faction mods but nothing game changing like Nexerelin.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Elem7 posted:

Anyone else having problems with saving taking forever and occasionally crashing? I'm doing my first 8.1a game with a number of faction mods but nothing game changing like Nexerelin.

I was. I just set the memory thing in vprams to 6g for both numbers and everything is working smooth so far. Was at 4g prior.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 10, 2017

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Hey do any of you know what you can do with the Templar Flux Cores from the Knights Templar mod?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hey do any of you know what you can do with the Templar Flux Cores from the Knights Templar mod?

They're vendor trash that sells for more the farther away from Antioch you are.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

TheWetFish posted:

It is looking a bit strange to me but I'm not familiar with DME; what are it's weaknesses?

I would've expected restricted number of mounts or bad shield efficiency in the 1.2-1.4 range with that sort of flux dissipation on a destroyer frame. Although, reviewing the Sunder & Medusa it does look fairly sensible, being pretty close to a medusa and less flux dissipation than a Sunder. Maybe it's just me not understanding this particular niche of ship

Auxiliary Thrusters is a pro pick for a phase skimming craft :golfclap:

DME craft generally have sub-par armour and their shields aren't the best. But this is kinda irrelevant because the range on some of their weapons makes them incredibly difficult to approach without being at a flux disavantage. The railguns, in particular, possibly need a huge nerf because they cost the same as the stock railguns but have more range and slightly less dps.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yep, I'm noticing that you definitely need a pretty decent numbers advantage against DME ships if you want a risk-free engagement. Once you actually get up in their poo poo, they melt pretty quick, but getting there can be dangerous unless they have to spread fire around. Also their single capital ship is absolutely nuts.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Am I the only one that wants to see a Starlight Cabal Desdinova or Mantis?

I mean they're pretty much the sports cars of spaceships and I want a bright hot purple-pink Desdinova going even faster with more OP.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Can I get mod recomendations for a new play though?

I want to keep the look and feel and balance of vanilla as much as possible. The Templar seem a bit too much for me, while Nexerelin seems right up my alley.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Looks like wars still aren't ending properly, I have some going 2 years on in a modded game. Anyone else see this?

I'm trying out an un-modded game to see if that helps.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Can I get mod recomendations for a new play though?

I want to keep the look and feel and balance of vanilla as much as possible. The Templar seem a bit too much for me, while Nexerelin seems right up my alley.

My golden trio is Blackrock, Shadowyards, and Imperium. Imperium offers a nifty new faction that acts in direct opposition to the Hegemony and they have crazy fun toys at the high end, Shadowyards boats are really unique looking without conflicting directly with the vanilla art and have some cool weapons, and Blackrock is just insanely stylish and well put together and is a blast to play. Sadly, Shadowyards hasn't updated for 8.1 just yet, but Blackrock and Imperium are both out in the wild.

Outside of that, I always recommend Combat Chatter because holy poo poo it is nice to have a handle on how damaged friendlies are without having to pause the action at a crucial moment. Nexerelin is nice, but if this is your first time coming back to the game since before 0.8.0 I say do a vanilla sector play through first, because there's a ton of cool new poo poo to be found.

Other honorable mentions are Diable Avionics depending on how much you like robots, Scy depending on how much you liked the Honor Harrington novels, and of course Templars on a later run for when you're bored and need your games to have an anime final boss god monster thing.

Also, whenever Dynasector gets updated properly and isn't busted, throw that up in the recommended list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Fart Cannon posted:

Looks like wars still aren't ending properly, I have some going 2 years on in a modded game. Anyone else see this?

I'm trying out an un-modded game to see if that helps.

I'm in cycle 211 in my un-modded game and every single faction is at war with every single other faction with the exception of the Sindrian Diktat and the Persean League who are still cooperative.

It's really annoying since getting a commission will mean being at war with most of the sector and that fuckin' sucks. Really wish he would put out a hotfix for that.