Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

The thing is, that's starting to fall apart. Look at San Diego and Atlanta. One moved because the locals told him to gently caress off (and thus losing all their fans in the process), and Atlanta has people pissed off because they bypassed the residents.

The difference being that no one really cared for the Chargers and the Falcons got what they wanted so who cares what the public thinks? This is hockey in Canada. Pretty much the only unifying force for a country with a pretty severe inferiority complex towards the States as it is. Even the threat of losing a team these days is going to spur people into action and before long people will be saying "it ain't that bad!" about having to shell out $1.5bn for a new stadium instead of schools, hospitals and roads. Sports teams know exactly what they're doing. All it takes is one relocation per sport per decade or so to scare people into submission and the owners get exactly what they want.

Professional ports is really the only industry that inspires regional loyalty. No one would flood radio call in shows with demands that the public build a new office tower for a bank or a factory for GM simply because people don't have a strong emotional attachment to those brands. Even when they do with companies like Apple, people are aware that they can be built and sold anywhere. A sports team HAS to remain in a particular city to cater to its core demographic, and they all take full advantage of that.

I'd like to think I'd rise above it, but I know I'd be devastated if the Canucks moved and I can't really blame Flames fans for voting against their best interests in this instance. It's foolish, but understandable. I also can't blame Burke for negotiating this way. It's scummy, but business is about putting shareholders first not the public good so he's just being a good company man. I'm sure in his heart he knows how exploitative he's being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

teams that have cap space should be going after Eberle pretty hard

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

The Golden Man posted:

teams that have cap space should be going after Eberle pretty hard

Gotta get that market on one dimensional 55 point wingers on lockdown

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Oh brother.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

Gotta get that market on one dimensional 55 point wingers on lockdown

He's still pretty drat good. I'm quite happy that the Oilers have felt it necessary to drag him through the mud and deliberately depress his value for the last six months. With a bit of care they could've returned a good player for him, now they'll probably get a depth player and a 2nd round pick in return.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
55 points is good in the modern NHL

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Colin Wilson had posted this last week (and looking at the comments he has actually taken time to calmly post replies o_o ):

https://instagram.com/p/BU0Ku62AD-_/

And apparently he and Toews talk climate change?

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/872870498631389184

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

55 points is good in the modern NHL

He's a top 6 player, first and second line tweener. I'm not sure why Edmonton is seemingly so desperate to trade him, it seems like right shot forwards and RWs are their biggest need outside of another top 4 defenceman?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

He's a top 6 player, first and second line tweener. I'm not sure why Edmonton is seemingly so desperate to trade him, it seems like right shot forwards and RWs are their biggest need outside of another top 4 defenceman?

Cap reasons, since McDavid and Draisaitl are going to cost a lot, and they still have Lucic/Nuge/Eberle making $6 mil each so one of those 3 need to be moved so they free up some cap space. Lucic won't be moved and Nuge is preferred to Eberle.

That said, they don't have to trade Eberle this off-season. They have $19 mil in cap space and they'll still have around $10 mil once Draisaitl gets his new contract and Kassian also gets re-signed, with their remaining needs being a 4th line RW, a top 4 RHD and forward/defense depth in general. It's only next off-season once McDavid's extension kicks in that there will suddenly be that need to free up cap space.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

A Typical Goon posted:

Yeah I dunno why they want to trade him aside from "sucked in the playoffs". I guess next year is a contract year and it's better to trade him than lose him as a free agent if they think he's going to be too expensive to keep. I feel like he'll get traded at the deadline or something rather than the draft, but I'm also a stupid person so what do I know.

Also I guess McDavid and Draisaitl are going to get a dump truck full of money each very soon, but they have the cap space for that while keeping Eberle I think.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
this upcoming year is fine. its the year after when mcdavids extension for $hella kicks in where somethings going to give capwise

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Oh dear god no. They can barely tell if a skate is touching the ice, can you imagine a ref trying to determine if some dude's skate blade hovering two feet off the ice is actually over the blue line or not with a playoff OT goal on the line?

It's hard because the ice reflects light up, making everything lit evenly. The obvious solution is to get rid of the ice.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

infrared lasers from the ceiling and an infrared camera feed the refs can look at, and then change the offsides rule to be a plane instead of skate touching

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Just make the blue line thinner so it's more obvious when someone blows by it.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Add powerful mines in the blue line that only deactivate after a puck passes them, for a few seconds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Porrima posted:

Add powerful mines in the blue line that only deactivate after a puck passes them, for a few seconds.

Have it recess an inch or two below the white ice.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bring back those goofy-rear end wide blue lines they tried during one of the preseasons a few years back.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

It's emblematic of horrible organizational philosophy and clutters up the developmental pipeline. Look at all the contributions Nashville and Pittsburgh are getting from home grown guys. It's a salary capped league and you better try to find some cheap talent for your bottom rosters rather than wasting it on average level replacement level guys.

Who are they going to put there?
The Fourth line is fine, it's not that expensive and I'd rather guys on small contracts over prospects because that would indicate the drafting of plugs.

The third line and up is where holes and question marks emerge, but Flynn and Martinsen are never going to play there.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

The difference being that no one really cared for the Chargers and the Falcons got what they wanted so who cares what the public thinks? This is hockey in Canada. Pretty much the only unifying force for a country with a pretty severe inferiority complex towards the States as it is. Even the threat of losing a team these days is going to spur people into action and before long people will be saying "it ain't that bad!" about having to shell out $1.5bn for a new stadium instead of schools, hospitals and roads. Sports teams know exactly what they're doing. All it takes is one relocation per sport per decade or so to scare people into submission and the owners get exactly what they want.

Professional ports is really the only industry that inspires regional loyalty. No one would flood radio call in shows with demands that the public build a new office tower for a bank or a factory for GM simply because people don't have a strong emotional attachment to those brands. Even when they do with companies like Apple, people are aware that they can be built and sold anywhere. A sports team HAS to remain in a particular city to cater to its core demographic, and they all take full advantage of that.

I'd like to think I'd rise above it, but I know I'd be devastated if the Canucks moved and I can't really blame Flames fans for voting against their best interests in this instance. It's foolish, but understandable. I also can't blame Burke for negotiating this way. It's scummy, but business is about putting shareholders first not the public good so he's just being a good company man. I'm sure in his heart he knows how exploitative he's being.

2 things:
The fact that the Flames immediately disavowed his remarks (which are word-for-word Ken King's from a few months ago) tells you what Nenshi's response to the remarks was.

Also the only article I've seen get behind the remarks was a loving Sun columnist who was using it to attack the great Satan Naheed Nenshi and his demonic master Notley.

(But I don't listen to local sports any more so who knows)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

yellowcar posted:

Holy poo poo. Real character guy eh.

Uhh, if I were going through a divorce I'd probably want to protect my assets as well. I guess how it's viewed depends entirely on the circumstances of their relationship. If it's amicable then I suppose it could be seen as a dick move, but either way I think it's smart, financially.

Unless you mean a character guy for getting a divorce in which case I dunno what to tell you -- sometimes people don't stay marred v:smith:v .. I thought mine would last forever too but at least I didn't have millions of dollars to worry about protecting when it didn't :unsmith:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 9, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The most exciting thing to happen to the habs this season:
https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/872570610060283904

(for those who don't know, the dude's an F1 driver)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

Holy poo poo. Real character guy eh.

How does not wanting somebody he's divorcing not to have a claim to a significant percentage of his future earnings in any way reflect badly on his character? We're not talking a doctor dumping the wife who helped him through med school now that he's about to make bank.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is widely known that NHL contracts reward previous play.

Therefore any contract Radulov should earn is really reflecting the period they were together and she should be entitled to half.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

How does not wanting somebody he's divorcing not to have a claim to a significant percentage of his future earnings in any way reflect badly on his character? We're not talking a doctor dumping the wife who helped him through med school now that he's about to make bank.

Yeah really. If he had waited to get divorced until after he signed the contract everyone here would be calling him a moron

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Uhh, if I were going through a divorce I'd probably want to protect my assets as well. I guess how it's viewed depends entirely on the circumstances of their relationship. If it's amicable then I suppose it could be seen as a dick move, but either way I think it's smart, financially.

Unless you mean a character guy for getting a divorce in which case I dunno what to tell you -- sometimes people don't stay marred v:smith:v .. I thought mine would last forever too but at least I didn't have millions of dollars to worry about protecting when it didn't :unsmith:

Jordan7hm posted:

It's both of these. Yeah the optics of it aren't great but he'd have been an idiot to do it while still finalizing the divorce and i'm sure his lawyer and any financial planner would have told him as much.

and sorry marty :( hang in there

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yeah really. If he had waited to get divorced until after he signed the contract everyone here would be calling him a moron

I'm still calling him a moron.

I guess you know the wife wasn't big into hockey. If that were me I'd refuse to sign anything until the season started.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I was really going for a dig at Bergevin. Didn't really mean any offense, Marty.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Gregory Campbell has retired and has been hired by the CBJ to their development staff.

Give Vinny The gently caress Prospal his job now. :argh:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

His wife seems to be into hockey.

...and dragons?

That's from their wedding, btw.

quote:

Alexander Radulov and Daria Dmitrieva staged a wedding of the gods

Hockey player and gymnast celebrated the holiday. The lovers were waiting for this event for several months. On the luxurious wedding ceremony of celebrities, which reminded the guests about the myths of Ancient Greece, it was about 160 people.

Huh. No kidding.

This is sad. It was a brief union.

quote:

In May 2015, Radulov married rhythmic gymnast Darya Dmitriyeva. Their first child (son Makar), was born on November 11, 2015.

Oh. I see.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
:lol: yeah that adds some context, and not favorably for him

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
This is why you get a pre-nup.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

:lol: yeah that adds some context, and not favorably for him

lotta weird moralizing going on in this thread

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

lotta weird moralizing going on in this thread

I think you mean WE'RE CANADIANS WE WEAR SHIRTS AND TIES

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
russia is cool

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Remember the last guy who got run out of Montreal for "character issues?"

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
He has to actually sign in Montreal to get run out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The internet is saying Boston is trying to get Brodin from the Wild.

He seems decent. Which in Boston is #2.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

No one would flood radio call in shows with demands that the public build a new office tower for a bank or a factory for GM simply because people don't have a strong emotional attachment to those brands. Even when they do with companies like Apple, people are aware that they can be built and sold anywhere.

I can only think of, like, four things like this too, and it was because the companies were so intertwined with the local economy, history, and family history. Boeing moving to Chicago was a pretty nasty situation and there was a lot of internet comment rage over McCormick threatening to leave Baltimore.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

The internet is saying Boston is trying to get Brodin from the Wild.

He seems decent. Which in Boston is #2.

I am on board with this. Brodin is a good defenseman who is kind of buried in Minnesota's system since they're stacked at D. He'd be second pairing at least for Boston, he's on a manageable deal for a few years, and he's only 23. Brodin, McAvoy, Carlo, Krug would be a pretty good top 4 assuming they all continue to progress as expected.

I'm not sure they can afford him though even though his contract is only like 4M a year. They'd probably have to give up Spooner or their 1st too, which I'm not as broken up about. It's not likely that any forward in the 1st is going to be a huge step up from any of the prospects we already have in this draft anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, the other rumor is they're going to pay Vegas to take Beleskey so that's similar salaries.

• Locked thread