Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Allah be kind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
The tally right now:

- 8, Lord Cyrahzax, Dick Trauma, Lynneth, Luhood, Mr_Autoshades, Flavius Belisarius, Mr.Morgenstern, Rodyle.

- 15, ThatBasqueGuy, MuteAllison, Hitlers Gay Secret, Snipe, Grizzwold, tunapirate, Slaan, Sinner Sandwich, Velius, AJ_Impy, everydayfalls, Agean90, Chatrapati, devildragon777, Erwin the German.

- 22, GunnerJ, Soup du Jour, HiHo ChiRho, Crazycryodude, Talas, Ikasuhito, Captain Oblivious, paragon1, Mikl, Yvonmukluk, Technowolf, Aeromancia, Rubix Squid, Invader Zym, WilliamAnderson, catlord, Quorum, Morgenstern, Frionnel, Bloody Pom, Dance Officer, Camoes.

- 10, RZApublican, mcclay, TildeATH, sheep-dodger, Mountaineer, Affi, Archaeology Hat, Alikchi, gbuchold, Freudian.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Staying with the merchants for them islands.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

We need a standing policy to gently caress up France if they get themselves stuck in a European war.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Fifth Meeting of the Majlis, cont’d.

The reshuffling is over, and the mandate has shifted into the hands of the League of Merchants once more, though this is the first time that the Ulema have managed to come second.

Before the policy session begins, I’ve changed one small thing. The League of Merchants can no longer declare the conquest wars, as they would’ve been able to do previously. Instead, they can only submit policies for colonial wars, which is basically us attempting to steal other nations’ colonies. That’s pretty much it.

For more information on policies, available buildings and diplomatic actions, click here, and scroll beneath the chapter list.

Policy Restrictions

The League of Merchants can submit two policies, the New Taifas one, the Ulema one, and the Jizrunid Loyalists one.

The League of Merchants are the dominant faction, so they will have no restrictions to their policies, except for those that apply to other factions. Merchants are unable to declare conquest wars, but are free to declare colonial wars.

The Ulema are the second-largest faction, which means that they can now use policies to convert provinces to Sunni. Although conversions will still be very difficult, the penalties will not be so high and it is technically possible to convert a few provinces.

The New Taifas are the smallest faction, which means there can be no conquest wars, unless two factions manage to form a coalition.

---

Coalitions

What are coalitions?

Basically a way for smaller factions to band together and force issues through the Majlis. A coalition works when two factions agree to submit a single policy. So, for example, say the Ulema submit a policy to convert a certain province to Islam, and a bunch of Jizrunid Loyalists agree to use their votes to support it. If that policy gains the most votes from both the Ulema and the Loyalists, then it will be passed.

There are no restrictions on coalition policies, no matter what faction is in power. The Ruling Faction, however, cannot form any coalitions at all.

---

Buildings

No new buildings have been unlocked, but there are no available locations to build weapons manufactories, so they’re off the table for now. Still plenty available for naval manufactories though.

For more information on available buildings and their effects, click here.

---

State of Affairs

Government: Reformed Taifa System (power split between the Sultan and Majlis)
Ruling Faction: The League of Merchants
Permitted Factions: The New Taifas, the Ulema, the Jizrunid Loyalists.
Rivals: France, Italy, the Vakhtani Caliphate
Alliances: Tunis, Palermo.
Subjects: none
Other Pacts: none
Diplomatic slots: 2/5
Treasury: 200 gold
Current net income: 15 gold/month

---

With that, the floor is now open for policies. Here are the icon links:

code:

New Taifas: [img]https://lpix.org/2786920/Taifas.png[/img]

Ulama: [img]https://lpix.org/2786921/Ulama.png[/img]

League of Merchants: [img]https://lpix.org/2786922/Merchants.png[/img]

Jizrunid Loyalists: [img]https://lpix.org/2813544/Loyalists.png[/img]

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Esteemed colleagues, I will keep this short. Other nations are making advances in al-Qaribiya, and this is unacceptable. We settled that island chain first, so it is rightfully ours.

I know some of you might object that we have enough troubles at home to worry about someplace so far away, but while Iberia is where the heart is, the colonies are made of gold.

Therefore, I propose the Those Fxxxers - Our poo poo Act: take Taghzir from the Almoravids, by all means necessary.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hashim posted:

The League of Merchants are the dominant faction, so they will have no restrictions to their policies, except for those that apply to other factions. Merchants are unable to declare conquest wars, but are free to declare colonial wars.

Question: Does this also preclude wars against Native American nations?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

Question: Does this also preclude wars against Native American nations?

Those would also classify as wars to expand our colonies, so yeah, it includes those.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hashim posted:

Those would also classify as wars to expand our colonies, so yeah, it includes those.

Oof, that kinda sucks because the reason I proposed allying with a native power is exactly so they can help us in a war like that. Although I don't remember what if anything came of that.

eta: Wait, hold on, who can propose conquest wars...?

eta: whoops misunderstood this like a dummy lol

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 9, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mikl posted:

Esteemed colleagues, I will keep this short. Other nations are making advances in al-Qaribiya, and this is unacceptable. We settled that island chain first, so it is rightfully ours.

I know some of you might object that we have enough troubles at home to worry about someplace so far away, but while Iberia is where the heart is, the colonies are made of gold.

Therefore, I propose the Those Fxxxers - Our poo poo Act: take Taghzir from the Almoravids, by all means necessary.

Wouldn't it be simpler to let the almoravids do all the work of making colonies, then take what is rightfully ours?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I, Ralepozozaxe, the Dalai Ullama, propose we force vassalize Aragon, force convert them to Sunni, and then use their claims to get more land from France. we'll have Aragon convert our prnvinces for us.

edit: Now with more llama

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 9, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

I propose we join the Catholic League. While it may seem strange to involve Al-Andalus in a Christian religious conflict/HRE political conflict, a League war could have consequences for all of Europe including us. France leads the Protestant League and may be in a position to become emperor should they win, and that would only be bad for Al-Andalus.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

We have established a strong presence in the Caribbean, and it is time to look beyond. Al-Andalus's future lies in the great rivers of the New World! I propose the Riverine Colonization Act, mandating that we establish colonial nations around the two great rivers of the New World, with priority given to the Northern River as we have no outpost there. He who controls the rivers, controls trade. (basically create colonial nations around the Mississippi and Amazon, starting with the Misssissippi.)

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

Oof, that kinda sucks because the reason I proposed allying with a native power is exactly so they can help us in a war like that. Although I don't remember what if anything came of that.

eta: Wait, hold on, who can propose conquest wars...?

Basically, if we conquer five provinces from (for example) the Aztec Empire, then those five provinces would form a colonial nation. So any provinces we take in the New World automatically goes to the colonial nation, so I'm just counting those as colonial wars.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Proposing the D.R.E.A.M. Vacay Act: Prioritize colonization of the mainland (anywhere on the coast of the gulf) however the Sultan sees fit. This explicitly includes taking land from native empires in war as a suggested possibility, but not a requirement.

Fighting with Morocco over the Caribbean is just following the same script we've been running since we first started colonizing. Time to innovate and shift the paradigm again.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hashim posted:

Basically, if we conquer five provinces from (for example) the Aztec Empire, then those five provinces would form a colonial nation. So any provinces we take in the New World automatically goes to the colonial nation, so I'm just counting those as colonial wars.

Oh, poo poo, I misunderstood you. OK!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Also, some members of the Majlis may find this interesting, I've been increasing relations with France's rivals and neighbours. This is what the opinion map looks like right now:

We could probably ally Provence or Bavaria after a few months.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Soup du Jour posted:

We have established a strong presence in the Caribbean, and it is time to look beyond. Al-Andalus's future lies in the great rivers of the New World! I propose the Riverine Colonization Act, mandating that we establish colonial nations around the two great rivers of the New World, with priority given to the Northern River as we have no outpost there. He who controls the rivers, controls trade. (basically create colonial nations around the Mississippi and Amazon, starting with the Misssissippi.)

Even though I just proposed something similar, I'm going to support this as an alternative in case my proposal loses.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

I will be joining the Ulama

Good friends; though it is always tempting to devolve into questions of ideological purity, we must be pragmatic. I propose the
Make the heathens bleed act that stipulates we should build up a web of Christians that hate the French around them. I acquiesce that we may be deceived as we were by those Celt bastards, but if we can get even a few Christian states to bleed for us when we next fight the French, we will be the essential winners overall.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

I propose We Assemble a Crew to counteract the bloody conflict that will surely come. The Sultan should improve relations and find alliances with local powers to offset the strength of the Almovorids and France, especially Provence.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

I propose the Religious Unity Act, directing the sultan to convert as many provinces as possible to the true faith, prioritizing catholic regions. At least the Shia are Muslims.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Can you tell us about what armies we may or may not have in the Caribbean? Is it an autonomous colony now? Also how much gold are our colonies bringing us?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I propose the Tolerance Act, which mandates that the Humanism is our highest priority, idea group wise.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: ignore

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 10, 2017

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Soup du Jour posted:

I support this proposal.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Mikl posted:

Supporting

War is good for business folks.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Who can we punch hard enough to make a vassal fall out? We have all these diplo slots and nothing to do with them.

I propose the Enemy Mine act, that our incomparable sultan keep his eagle eye on the Evangelical conflict, prepare for war, and aim to attack France and Castile at a point of vulnerability, with the aim to seize land in the south of France and release it as a Sunni vassal state. It would be best and most defensible if French lands were administrated swiftly and without unnecessary bureaucracy such as that of the Majlis; surely a cadet member of the Jizrunid dynasty can be found to administrate such lands by the sultan's direct command?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the D.R.E.A.M. Vacay Act: Prioritize colonization of the mainland (anywhere on the coast of the gulf) however the Sultan sees fit. This explicitly includes taking land from native empires in war as a suggested possibility, but not a requirement.

Fighting with Morocco over the Caribbean is just following the same script we've been running since we first started colonizing. Time to innovate and shift the paradigm again.

I support this proposal. I was going to create an act supporting the colonization of Panama but yeah, we gotta move onto the main prize.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Soup du Jour posted:

He who controls the spice rivers controls the universe. I support this

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Can you tell us about what armies we may or may not have in the Caribbean? Is it an autonomous colony now? Also how much gold are our colonies bringing us?

We've only got a couple of our own regiments there, but our colony (Juzur Qarbiya) has a standing army of about 7000 men. If we go to war with the Almoravids, then the war in the New World will be decided in the battles between our colony and theirs. I can't get to the game now, so I'm not too sure how much money they're bringing in, but I do know that we have about 15% tariffs at the moment, so it's a fair amount.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Soup du Jour posted:

Here here!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I propose the Tolerance Act, which mandates that the Humanism is our highest priority, idea group wise.

I support this.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Got a few policies going, let me know if I missed something:

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, the Dalai Ullama, propose we force vassalize Aragon, force convert them to Sunni, and then use their claims to get more land from France. we'll have Aragon convert our prnvinces for us.

Ralepozozaxe.

Nine of Eight posted:

I propose the Make the heathens bleed act that stipulates we should build up a web of Christians that hate the French around them. I acquiesce that we may be deceived as we were by those Celt bastards, but if we can get even a few Christian states to bleed for us when we next fight the French, we will be the essential winners overall.

Nine of Eight.

Grizzwold posted:

I propose the Religious Unity Act, directing the sultan to convert as many provinces as possible to the true faith, prioritizing catholic regions. At least the Shia are Muslims.

Grizzwold.

Mikl posted:

Mikl, Frionnel.

Soup du Jour posted:

Soup du Jour, GunnerJ, Talas, Ikasuhito, Captain Oblivious.

GunnerJ posted:

Thordain.

TildeATH posted:

I propose We Assemble a Crew to counteract the bloody conflict that will surely come. The Sultan should improve relations and find alliances with local powers to offset the strength of the Almovorids and France, especially Provence.

TildeATH.

gbuchold posted:

I propose the Enemy Mine act, that our incomparable sultan keep his eagle eye on the Evangelical conflict, prepare for war, and aim to attack France and Castile at a point of vulnerability, with the aim to seize land in the south of France and release it as a Sunni vassal state.

gbuchold.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 9, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

RZApublican posted:

Starting a coalition vote with this

Grizzwold will have to confirm it's meant to be a coalition before anyone can actually join it. Seems like it's meant for his faction.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I support this.

Don't waste a policy on this, I automatically pick idea groups based on what faction is in power. Since it's the Merchants right now, I'll pick a merchant-oriented idea group.

On that subject, though, I may not go for Humanism next time round because the gap between the Merchants and Ulema is way closer than ever before. Still not sure, but it may have to wait till next time.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 9, 2017

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Mikl posted:

I change my vote to this, then.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I propose the Al-Andalus Under Arms Act. This grants the sultan mandate to do whatever it takes to maximize our effective manpower. This includes the construction of barracks, preference for manpower in special events, and alliances with enemies of France or Morocco.

Addendum: said alliances include the Catholic League

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 9, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, propose the Cutting the French act. We are to declare war upon France in a moment of their weakness, NOT to seize any lands but to free lands from French yoke.
  • Castille is to be wrested out of their role as Vassal and be given freedom once more;
  • Aragon is to be given back all lands from Rousillion and southwards;
  • Navarra is to be given to Castille, assuming we managed to wrest them from French hold. If we didn't they are instead to be given independence;
  • The Mediterranean Islands are to be free, which means Sardinia be given independence and the Balearic Islands be given to Aragon, to Corsica-Sardinia or Independence - in that order of priority - depending on which we are able to;
  • Finally, if the War Score allows it (which I highly doubt), we are to split of the Gascon and Occitan lands - in that order of priority - into their own independent states.
Unlike the rest of you I don't really care for the insanities in the west. My goal, the true goal for any Andalusian general worth their weight in steel, is to do what al-Thaqafi couldn't and make the Andalusian borders lie on the other side of the Pyrenees. The only way to ensure that is to weaken the French, to further down the lines annex these lands and these people into the Andalusian fold. The only way to do that is to ensure the French can't do anything with them to begin with.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Grizzwold posted:

I support this wholeheartedly.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I propose the Al-Andalus Under Arms Act. This grants the sultan mandate to do whatever it takes to maximize our effective manpower. This includes the construction of barracks, preference for manpower in special events, and alliances with enemies of France or Morocco.

Addendum: said alliances include the Catholic League

Agreed. Whatever happens, Al-Andalus will always need more soldiers, though hopefully they'll prove a bit more loyal than the last batch.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Hashim posted:

Got a few policies going, let me know if I missed something:

You missed my proposal to join the Catholic League here.