Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RiggenBlaque posted:

He's going to tell people if there are tapes "over a short period of time?" What type of phrasing is that

apparently you'll be disappointed when you find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

He clearly doesn't understand the gravity of what this accusation means to James Comey.

Comey: "Lordy, I hope there are tapes"

e: and just gives the Romanian pres a normal handshake, ofc

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
God drat, he has no idea what corruption is, let alone how it effects Romania.

"Despite the long history of friendship with America we still have a lot of corruption!"
"Yes, but American businesses are going there so *shrugs* can't be so bad."
*facepalm*

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

He clearly doesn't understand the gravity of what this accusation means to James Comey.

Pfft, that's just POTUS accusing the former FBI director of committing perjury.

Wait, what the gently caress timeline is this considered anymore?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope this further emboldens the FBI against him.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Retro42 posted:

extreme dark comedy

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Aaaaand VANISH

Still, he said he'd love to testify under oath. The media needs to hammer him and Spicersanders every loving day asking when that will happen.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Retro42 posted:

Pfft, that's just POTUS accusing the former FBI director of committing perjury.

Superman killed a pregnant Lois

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trump Under Oath would commit the most perjuries per second of any man who has ever given sworn testimony.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LaserShark posted:

Aaaaand VANISH

Still, he said he'd love to testify under oath. The media needs to hammer him and Spicersanders every loving day asking when that will happen.

Mueller won't want to do it immediately. You interview a suspect last, after you already know everything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

loving dickhead. I can't wait until he gets crushed like a bug in court.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

LaserShark posted:

Aaaaand VANISH

MSNBC is all over it, their main takeaway seems to be his committing himself to testifying under oath. :dance:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

OhDearGodNo posted:

He still talks about the election last year. Holy poo poo.

Well that's a given. Trump is one of those people that constantly bring up some time they succeeded no matter how dubious to brag like a sad, pathetic 40 something reflecting all the time on his high school football years when he scored four touchdowns in a single game.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

in any other time a sitting president accusing the (recently) former head of the FBI of perjury would dominate the news cycle for MONTHS

we're in such a loving wacko dimension that editors are going "'trump accuses comey of perjury' is the best we've got? slow news day."

i honestly just cannot get used to this sort of poo poo

also how on earth could a law firm still represent this man? him going under oath would be absolutely the worst possible thing right? what the gently caress is wrong with trump's brain that he thinks it would end well? what hand does he think he's holding?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Kekekela posted:

MSNBC is all over it, their main takeaway seems to be his committing himself to testifying under oath. :dance:

Which is going to be unfortunate when the Qatar crisis escalates.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LaserShark posted:

Aaaaand VANISH

I still really, really want a yes/no answer on whether Trump believes in global warming.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

loving dickhead. I can't wait until he gets crushed like a bug in court.

"I won! I won!" i continue to insist as the guards lead me to my jail cell

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Night10194 posted:

Trump Under Oath would commit the most perjuries per second of any man who has ever given sworn testimony.

Is it still perjury if you don't know the meaning of any of the words you use?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
As bad as I'm sure he'd loving lie through his teeth while in a hearing, I don't think it could possibly make him look any worse than he already does. The best it does is increase Democrats' chances of taking the House and holding firm in the Senate.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

NiceGuy posted:

Holy poo poo he actually just trotted out the 'i didn't say that... but if i did, it's not illegal!' line, almost verbatim! :suicide:
Something I missed on the first listen is that he wasn't even basing "it's not illegal" on what OLC told him, but on "everything he read today" hahahaha.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Superman killed a pregnant Lois

Somehow that entire arc seems more plausible than reality right now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Trump directly saying Comey lied is actually a much bigger deal. Republicans can't get away with justifying his behavior now because one of the two of them is lying. Trump didn't just not know better: he did it and lied to the public about it, or he didn't do it. So either Comey, the guy who is honest to a fault to the point of admitting to the Senate that he leaked his memos, or Trump, the guy who ordered his press secretary to lie on his very first day about very obvious facts observable with the naked eye, is a liar and they're going to be asked which one. That's, uh, not a great spot for them to be in.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Kekekela posted:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/873256174539460608
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/873256512990433281

(It's probably not gonna happen, at least not soon)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

Trump directly saying Comey lied is actually a much bigger deal. Republicans can't get away with justifying his behavior now because one of the two of them is lying. Trump didn't just not know better: he did it and lied to the public about it, or he didn't do it. So either Comey, the guy who is honest to a fault to the point of admitting to the Senate that he leaked his memos, or Trump, the guy who ordered his press secretary to lie on his very first day about very obvious facts observable with the naked eye, is a liar and they're going to be asked which one. That's, uh, not a great spot for them to be in.

You always knew he was going to accuse Comey of lying, though. We all knew it. And of course Comey's telling the truth of his account. Why else would he constantly respond to 'THERE MIGHT BE TAPES' with 'Ahaha, god please yes.'

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Night10194 posted:

You always knew he was going to accuse Comey of lying, though. We all knew it. And of course Comey's telling the truth of his account. Why else would he constantly respond to 'THERE MIGHT BE TAPES' with 'Ahaha, god please yes.'

We did, but I'm sure his lawyer, Paul Ryan, and Mitch McConnell all desperately hoped he'd forget, and all know he's lying. But they don't want to admit it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/chucktodd/status/873259620663480320

i can't decide if there are tapes and his lawyers explained how bad that would be to admit, or if there are not tapes and he didn't even mean to imply there were but now that he did he can't admit defeat on even the tiniest point

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

thanks i wasn't aware

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Trump under oath is a loving treasure.

quote:

Q: Have you ever not been truthful?

A: My net worth fluctuates, and it goes up and down with markets and with attitudes and with feelings, even my own feelings, but I try.

Q: Let me just understand that a little bit. Let’s talk about net worth for a second. You said that the net worth goes up and down based upon your own feelings?

A: Yes, even my own feelings, as to where the world is, where the world is going, and that can change rapidly from day to day. Then you have a September 11th, and you don’t feel so good about yourself and you don’t feel so good about the world and you don’t feel so good about New York City. Then you have a year later, and the city is as hot as a pistol. Even months after that it was a different feeling. So yeah, even my own feelings affect my value to myself.

Q: When you publicly state what you’re worth, what do you base that number on?

A: I would say it’s my general attitude at the time that the question may be asked. And as I say, it varies.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/NoahCRothman/status/873257230921019392

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I strongly suspect that's part of why Comey was so direct in calling him a liar. Trump can't let an actual challenge stand.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kekekela posted:

Something I missed on the first listen is that he wasn't even basing "it's not illegal" on what OLC told him, but on "everything he read today" hahahaha.

there is a very good chance he googled "donald trump obstruction" and looked for articles saying he was in the clear

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Night10194 posted:

I strongly suspect that's part of why Comey was so direct in calling him a liar. Trump can't let an actual challenge stand.

I think the better explanation is that the media won't ever use the word liar, unless reporting on someone who did. So by saying it himself, he gets his statement reported accurately.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

there is a very good chance he googled "donald trump obstruction" and looked for articles saying he was in the clear

he doesn't use the google himself

he has staffers use the google and print out the news stories for him to read

seriously

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

evilweasel posted:

seriously

lol you think he reads news stories, they give him a one-paragraph summary

he gets most of his news from Fox & Friends and cable TV

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Help me understand, if Mueller subpoenas trump, does the president have an option of whether or not he testifies under oath? Or is that another thing the president gets to skip out on if he chooses?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

seriously

you're right, i don't know what I was thinking

those same articles we were making fun of, his underlings printed those out and he read the headlines and part of the first paragraph

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I kinda wish dueling was still a thing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I expect the Republican defense to go from "He didn't know any better" to *shrug*.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Do you think he ever reads Twitter outside of his mentions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i can't decide if there are tapes and his lawyers explained how bad that would be to admit, or if there are not tapes and he didn't even mean to imply there were but now that he did he can't admit defeat on even the tiniest point

Option three is that they're actually stupid enough to try to release partial tapes or in some way destroy evidence. I don't think we can rule it out at this point considering how colossally bad their legal strategy has been.

• Locked thread