Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When prohibition came to America there was a growing, relatively new wine industry in California. Prohibition obviously caused...problems...for the vineyards. The grapes you eat are not the same type of grapes you turn into wine, generally speaking. There's some overlap; some varieties are used for both wine and food. Others are used for one or the other. Depends but that isn't really all that relevant.

The thing is...what the gently caress were vineyards going to do with poo poo loads of wine grapes? Well, some of them just got turned into juice. Suddenly there were many wine companies producing juice. This was totally fine; juice was legal! Others just sold the wine grapes and they totally had no control over what people did with them and I swear they're just eating them, ok? Well sort of; they had to switch to grapes that would survive hauling rather than just being turned into wine on site.

The best ones, though? The smart ones? They had a different trick. They'd bottle up the juice that would normally become wine, sell it as "grape juice", and give it a label that read something to the effect of "whatever you do don't set this in the back of a dusty cupboard for a few months. That would make this turn into wine and wine is illegal! So don't do that. Seriously. Just don't, OK?"

The Vino Sano Grape Brick took it even further by saying on the instructions how to turn it into wine by dumping it in a pot of water, and just including something on there saying "Oh yeah, add this so it doesn't ferment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
If I remember correctly, a bunch of breweries did something similar - selling near-beer with labelling about how it was yeast-free. The implication of course being that it would be a real shame if you accidentally dropped some yeast into it and accidentally hid it in a closet for a month or so...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fighting Trousers posted:

If I remember correctly, a bunch of breweries did something similar - selling near-beer with labelling about how it was yeast-free. The implication of course being that it would be a real shame if you accidentally dropped some yeast into it and accidentally hid it in a closet for a month or so...

That's one of the reasons prohibition was a hideous failure. To make booze you need two main ingredients: yeast and something yeast will eat. You can't just blanket ban those because that's also how you make bread. Good loving luck banning yeast, grain, and fruit.

Some breweries survived by making medicinal alcohol or industrial alcohol. Alcohol actually has a ton of uses and whiskey could still be prescribed by doctors. So of course there were people catching year long colds and nasty coughs that they just couldn't seem to shake.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Conversion to Catholicism also just happened to go up really weird that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Iceland alchohol was prohibited in 1915. However after a trade agreement with Spain the ban on wine was lifted, Iceland agreed to buy wines from Spain and Spain would buy salted fish from Iceland. Prohibition ended in 1935 but beer, or at least beer stronger than 2,25%, was still banned. This wasn't really a problem since Icelanders didn't have much of a beer culture, Iceland is far outside the European beer belt and most people preferred stronger spirits such as the traditional brennivín.

However in the late 20th century more and more Icelanders begin studying and traveling abroad, most often in Denmark but also to Britain and Germany, where they came into contact with a very different drinking culture where drinking was more of a social activity. In these strange foreign lands people would go to a pub and have a beer or two and relax sometimes even on a weekday. The sort of behavior that would get you branded a complete wino in the old country where getting shitfaced on hard liquor every single weekend was much more acceptable. These cosmopolitan young people then returned home and began to demand beer. The bars saw an opportunity and began to offer something called "beer-like" which was usually some form of low-alcohol beer mixed with whiskey and/or vodka, it apparently tasted like absolutely foul.

The beer ban was lifted on March first 1989 which has since then been celebrated as Beer Day ever since.

Advertising alcohol is still illegal but the beer companies get around this by having a low-alchohol léttöl ("light-ale") version of their beers that looks almost identical so they can run ads and claim it is for the light-ale if anyone asks. The silliest result of this law was whenever a certain foreign ad for Carlsberg was broadcast on TV and they'd bleep out the word beer : "Carlsberg: Probably the best *BLEEEP* in the world." and of course it had "léttöl" in tiny letters in the corner.

Here's a song about drinking beer from 1981 in which the singer laments not being able to drink beer and :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YizMSB-7fSc

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Alhazred posted:

And migration was only accepted as fact when someone in Africa tried to kill a stork: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfeilstorch

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When prohibition came to America there was a growing, relatively new wine industry in California. Prohibition obviously caused...problems...for the vineyards. The grapes you eat are not the same type of grapes you turn into wine, generally speaking. There's some overlap; some varieties are used for both wine and food. Others are used for one or the other. Depends but that isn't really all that relevant.

The thing is...what the gently caress were vineyards going to do with poo poo loads of wine grapes? Well, some of them just got turned into juice. Suddenly there were many wine companies producing juice. This was totally fine; juice was legal! Others just sold the wine grapes and they totally had no control over what people did with them and I swear they're just eating them, ok? Well sort of; they had to switch to grapes that would survive hauling rather than just being turned into wine on site.

The best ones, though? The smart ones? They had a different trick. They'd bottle up the juice that would normally become wine, sell it as "grape juice", and give it a label that read something to the effect of "whatever you do don't set this in the back of a dusty cupboard for a few months. That would make this turn into wine and wine is illegal! So don't do that. Seriously. Just don't, OK?"

My father and my uncle bought a small vineyard/winery in Sonoma in the Seventies(before it became a plaything for yuppies and millionaires) and it still had ancient, pre-Prohibition Zinfandel vines. The old guy next door said the place survived financially by making sacramental wine for the Catholic Church, had a permit and everything.

He then winked and said it was remarkable how much sacramental wine they needed all of a sudden in a place with(at that time) a small number of Catholics.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Chandelor v Lopus

quote:

A man paid £100 for what he thought was a bezoar stone. This is a stone that forms in animals' intestinal systems, and was believed to have magical healing properties. The seller said it was a bezoar stone, which turned out to be false. The buyer sued for the return of the £100 purchase price.

How the claimant discovered that the bezoar did not work is not discussed in the report.

See Wikipedia’s citation if you want to read more.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8P3btynh54

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In 1966 CBS funded the mercenary planners of a secretly prepared invasion of Haiti by Cuba - in exchange for access to training sites and operations for the purpose of making a documentary about the invasion. The plot was foiled by the FBI, though I do not believe American participants, including CBS executives, ever were punished.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pro tip: never listen to steinrokkan aka nazi finlander

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All Finns will be Nazis until they denounce Mannerheim.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hmm yes true, finns are the most nazi people in the world

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Have you seen their Air Force?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
In the 1960's, the NBC affiliate station in Jackson, MS (WLBT) was known for being very pro-segregationist and even went as far as editing out news coverage of the Civil Rights Movement from NBC's national news, and had a policy on the books that they would never show a black person on TV unless they were being arrested.

Now, several other stations in the south did this, but most either dropped network affiliation and went independent, or were with networks that gave less of a poo poo about their national programming being preempted by local programming, something that NBC at the time very much gave a poo poo about (and to be fair they still do).

Keep in mind, this was the days before home video or cable, so whatever the local stations were broadcasting was it. So because of that, both Radio and TV stations must 'serve the public interest.'

So NBC and a bunch of civil rights groups in the south ended up sending in a bunch of petitions to the FCC about this poo poo. WLBT and the civil rights coalition ended up going to court until it ended up in front of future Supreme Court Justice Warren Berger, who ordered the station stripped of it's license to broadcast, become the first of only two stations to lose their broadcast license.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Advertising alcohol is still illegal but the beer companies get around this by having a low-alchohol léttöl ("light-ale") version of their beers that looks almost identical so they can run ads and claim it is for the light-ale if anyone asks. The silliest result of this law was whenever a certain foreign ad for Carlsberg was broadcast on TV and they'd bleep out the word beer : "Carlsberg: Probably the best *BLEEEP* in the world." and of course it had "léttöl" in tiny letters in the corner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YizMSB-7fSc

Contrast this with Norway where advertising low-alcohol beer, non-alcoholic beer, and even advertising breweries primarily known for alcohol are all banned. My home town brewery had to stop putting their name and logo on sports jerseys as it went against the alcohol advert ban even though they produce soft drinks and not only beer.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

In 1966 CBS funded the mercenary planners of a secretly prepared invasion of Haiti by Cuba - in exchange for access to training sites and operations for the purpose of making a documentary about the invasion. The plot was foiled by the FBI, though I do not believe American participants, including CBS executives, ever were punished.

It wasn't an invasion of Haiti by Cuba. It was a coup in Haiti against Papa Doc led by Haitian and Cuban exiles living in the US followed by an invasion of Cuba using Haiti as a staging ground.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baron Corbyn posted:

It wasn't an invasion of Haiti by Cuba. It was a coup in Haiti against Papa Doc led by Haitian and Cuban exiles living in the US followed by an invasion of Cuba using Haiti as a staging ground.
Was Baron Samedi consulted about this?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

He was riding JFK real hard at that point

And I mean can't blame him

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Powaqoatse posted:

hmm yes true, finns are the most nazi people in the world

Once a Nazi ally, always a Nazi ally.

It's like every other version of the old joke where people talk about all the good things they've done but they're never known as that specific kind of do-gooder but the one bad thing, well, that's them. In my experience, the punchline is, "But you gently caress one sheep . . ." but pretty much anything, including, "You ally with the Axis Powers once . . ." works.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nessus posted:

The Man With No Pants

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Once a Nazi ally, always a Nazi ally.

It's like every other version of the old joke where people talk about all the good things they've done but they're never known as that specific kind of do-gooder but the one bad thing, well, that's them. In my experience, the punchline is, "But you gently caress one sheep . . ." but pretty much anything, including, "You ally with the Axis Powers once . . ." works.

I always thought the finnish-german alliance was more an alliance of convenience for both parts (though less so for germany) that only begun after the Soviets declared war on the finns. At least thats how it was presented back in high school.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

In the 1960's, the NBC affiliate station in Jackson, MS (WLBT) was known for being very pro-segregationist and even went as far as editing out news coverage of the Civil Rights Movement from NBC's national news, and had a policy on the books that they would never show a black person on TV unless they were being arrested.

Now, several other stations in the south did this, but most either dropped network affiliation and went independent, or were with networks that gave less of a poo poo about their national programming being preempted by local programming, something that NBC at the time very much gave a poo poo about (and to be fair they still do).

Keep in mind, this was the days before home video or cable, so whatever the local stations were broadcasting was it. So because of that, both Radio and TV stations must 'serve the public interest.'

So NBC and a bunch of civil rights groups in the south ended up sending in a bunch of petitions to the FCC about this poo poo. WLBT and the civil rights coalition ended up going to court until it ended up in front of future Supreme Court Justice Warren Berger, who ordered the station stripped of it's license to broadcast, become the first of only two stations to lose their broadcast license.

Funny that their call letters are only a G away from being the most liberal TV station ever.

What was the other station?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Funny that their call letters are only a G away from being the most liberal TV station ever.

What was the other station?

WNAC.

quote:

RKO General lost the license in 1981 after General Tire admitted to a litany of corporate misconduct – which among other things, included the admission that General Tire had committed financial fraud over illegal political contributions and bribes – as part of a settlement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. However, in the FCC hearings, RKO General had withheld evidence of General Tire's misconduct, and had also failed to disclose evidence of accounting errors on its own part.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Nessus posted:

Hell no, everyone knows which side he was on. For real though, I read that Papa Doc affected Samedi-like manners and speech to imply that Baron Samedi was the actual ruler of the country and he was just the human host.

That sounds a little too exotifying and too cool to be true, but dang, can you imagine? It would be like having Bob from Twin Peaks as president. And i can see how it would make the violence and oppression easier to take. Like if Trump had paused during the Comey hearing to vomit up a pile of creamed corn and blood, on some level i'd be like, well, there's worse things than corruption and nepotism i guess

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

fish and chips and dip posted:

Contrast this with Norway where advertising low-alcohol beer, non-alcoholic beer, and even advertising breweries primarily known for alcohol are all banned.

Yeah, that's wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmWzr5BePU0

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Biplane posted:

I always thought the finnish-german alliance was more an alliance of convenience for both parts (though less so for germany) that only begun after the Soviets declared war on the finns. At least thats how it was presented back in high school.

I mean, there was a specific term for the policy blowback of their alliance with Germany. "Finlandization". Nobody wanted to touch a former Nazi ally so while remaining nominally unaligned they had to default to Soviet influence because if nobody wants to be your friend, your best option is to cozy up to the most powerful person next to you and hope they don't beat you up too badly.

The Finns were more anti-Soviet than they were pro-anything. Especially since they were in the process of being liberated by the Soviets pretty much as soon as the war started.

But nuance in "We were allied with the Nazis" is something that doesn't play well.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

I mean, there was a specific term for the policy blowback of their alliance with Germany. "Finlandization". Nobody wanted to touch a former Nazi ally so while remaining nominally unaligned they had to default to Soviet influence because if nobody wants to be your friend, your best option is to cozy up to the most powerful person next to you and hope they don't beat you up too badly.

Where did you learn it this way? Some country's education system, a book, your own synthesis? That's as opposite to every other interpretation I've heard as possible while not strictly going against the facts. "Cozying up" is an especially weird term for obeying the orders of a massive, hostile superpower that literally has artillery trained on your capital and already invaded you back in 1939.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
No, no, that's totally true. That's why all of Germany's other allies were also excluded from NATO, it was just completely unacceptable for the west to work with Italy, West Germany or Spain in the post-war years...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Or why America has maintained no diplomatic ties with Japan ever since 1945.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

I should have been clearer, it was allowed before, but it was banned sometime in the 2000's but I don't remember the exact year. The brewery in my hometown was allowed to sponsor local sports teams before, but not anymore.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

swamp waste posted:

Hell no, everyone knows which side he was on. For real though, I read that Papa Doc affected Samedi-like manners and speech to imply that Baron Samedi was the actual ruler of the country and he was just the human host.

That sounds a little too exotifying and too cool to be true, but dang, can you imagine? It would be like having Bob from Twin Peaks as president. And i can see how it would make the violence and oppression easier to take. Like if Trump had paused during the Comey hearing to vomit up a pile of creamed corn and blood, on some level i'd be like, well, there's worse things than corruption and nepotism i guess
I believe the actual voudun (sp?) portrayal of Baron Samedi makes him out to be a pretty cool dude who likes kids and partying hard. It's Baron Kriminel you have to watch out for.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nessus posted:

I believe the actual voudun (sp?) portrayal of Baron Samedi makes him out to be a pretty cool dude who likes kids and partying hard. It's Baron Kriminel you have to watch out for.

Along with being a debauched party animal, Baron Samedi is the one who decides whether you live or die. He greets you when you're ready to die to lead you to the underworld and has the power to resurrect you or heal your wounds if he feels that you're not ready to die. He's not exactly champing at the bit for souls.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

In Denmark, the original tobacco farmers were all Calvinists & Huegenots. I guess they had the experience from the southern lands: the Netherlands and France (!?). Otherwise, they'd have to be lutheran to get permission to settle, if not they had a skill that would better Denmark or something like that

weird & dumb, but that was how it was

From a couple pages back.
The Huguenots flight from France was where "Refugee" entered the English language. The Dutch East India Company took a bunch of them to colonize the Cape of Good of Hope (South Africa) where they were pressured strongly into assimilating, losing the language in a couple generations. The legacy remains though in many French origin names like Theron for instance.
In Australia, many of those with Huguenot ancestry came from Sri Lanka (if they were white enough), due to the Dutch East India Companies earlier colonization there (part of my family went France>South Africa>Sri Lanka>Australia where my Great Grandfather got in while other family were denied).

spleen merchant has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Jun 14, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

When Cao Huang became Emperor of Wei, he had to change his name to Cao Huan because of Chinese tradition dictating that the emperor's name shouldn't be used. Huang being the word for emperor and yellow among others made it more difficult.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Elagabalus became Rome's emperor at age 14. He wanted to be female. He plucked all the hairs off his body, wore makeup, wigs, and women's clothes. He offered large sums of money to any physician who could give him a vagina. He went to seedy brothels and prostituted himself there, and even solicited himself to the praetorian guards in his palace. There were rumors that he even had naked women pull his chariot. He was assassinated in 222 AD.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The level of bizzare poo poo and general incompetence of the late Roman Empire is really beyond the pale.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

The level of bizzare poo poo and general incompetence of the late Roman Empire is really beyond the pale.

Elegabalus was 1200 or so years from the fall of the empire and almost 200 from the fall of the west.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RagnarokAngel posted:

AD 222 isn't that late, it's right about the middle of the imperial period actually. After the collapse of imperial authority that occurred not too long after Elagabalus' reign you get a period of strong and active military emperors who did at least an okay job before a regression of imperial power into bureaucracy and court life that broke the empire's power in the west, though not the east. I guess what I'm saying is bizarre as Elagabalus was, he didn't gently caress up Rome single handedly by being weird.

Elagabalus is an interesting figure because he was probably the first emperor who had literally no idea what he was doing or what the job even entailed. He wasn't born or raised in Rome, which was by this time common for emperors; but more importantly he had no experience whatsoever of military or civil administration. He was the hereditary priest of the god Elagabalus whose cult center was at Homs in Syria. He came to power because his mother and grandmother were exiled there for their familial ties to the previous imperial dynasty, the Severans, when the Severan emperor Caracalla was murdered. His grandmother, Julia Maesa, and mother, Julia Soemias, weren't about to take that lying down and talked/bribed the local legion into revolt. When Macrinus, the usurper who murdered Caracalla, sent troops to deal with the situation, Maesa and Soemias bought them out. Macrinus himself shows up with a couple legions and Maesa and Soemias buy another of them out and kick his army's rear end. Macrinus runs the hell away. Obviously Maesa and Soemias can't claim the empire themselves, so they put Elagabalus on the throne, claiming he is the secret son of Caracalla.

So the poor kid basically did nothing to earn his title, and on top of a role he had held since childhood where he was supposed to be a local God incarnate, was thrust into a role he knew nothing at all in a city he'd never been to before, with none of the actual decision-making power because Maesa and Soemias were running that show -- no wonder he treated it as an excuse to do whatever stupid poo poo he could think of. When he eventually got assassinated, it was because Maesa got sick of his poo poo and promoted her other grandson, his cousin Severus Alexander, to heir. The guards liked Alexander better (he was a good bit less weird, if still an adolescent puppet) so they just killed Elagabalus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Elegabalus was 1200 or so years from the fall of the empire and almost 200 from the fall of the west.

Considering how long Rome existed I kind of considered 200 years not that much time but fair enough. I should have generalized it to Roman emperors in general.