Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Hey I'm getting an Apple Watch and wanted to know if Google Play Music worked on it as an app? Should I make the move over to Apple Music?
In terms of searching for music, and such, no, it won't work like that. As far as controlling it, yeah, it should work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks like Google Play Music doesn't even offer a watch app. But yeah like Mike said, you can use the watch's now playing app to pause/play, next, back, and control volume.

Also if you haven't used it before, Apple Music has a 3 month free trial.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looks like Google Play Music doesn't even offer a watch app. But yeah like Mike said, you can use the watch's now playing app to pause/play, next, back, and control volume.

Also if you haven't used it before, Apple Music has a 3 month free trial.

What's the general consensus on Apple Music compared to Google Play Music? I'm trying to rid myself of the Google-o-sphere

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Apple Music is really, really good. If you have any specific questions I'll try to best to answer them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Google's playlists are probably a bit better and having a web player is nice, but I absolutely hate its interface.

Otherwise they're both good and there's not really any reason not to switch especially if you use Apple devices.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Apple Music was the first streaming service I actually subscribed to after trying their trials out. I'm on the road a lot and not having wait for a stoplight to dick around with my phone is great. I also had an iTunes library going back ten or so years, and Spotify was terrible for moving stuff over. Google Play is a close second, mostly because of YouTube Red.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
How dumb is it to buy a iPhone 5c?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Guacamayo posted:

Extremely.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Does apple save the music?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Guacamayo posted:

It's a 4 year old phone with 5 year old hardware. I suppose if you pay like $40 for it it's not bad.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Guacamayo posted:

It's about to fall out of support; what do you think.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

LawfulWaffle posted:

I dropped my iPhone 5S in a pool and while I've dried it out enough that some functions have returned, it can't make calls and the accelerometer is busted. I don't have a warranty or protection plan for it through my carrier (Sprint) and I think I just want to upgrade. What are some options? I'm thinking about buying a new or refurb phone off Amazon, taking it to Sprint and having them move my number, contacts, and SIMM card over. Am I going to run into problems with this plan? Are there better places to buy a replacement phone from? I think a 6S or plus with 64gb would be about all I need. Any advice would be appreciated.

32gb is also good, I'm just tried of running up against my 16gb ceiling.

the SE will be the least effort choice for you if you don't want to think about it much

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Apple Music is good. It's not perfect but no music streaming service is. I've used pretty much all of them and I think AM and Spotify are the best of the lot, although there are things that annoy me about both.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

is spotify better in any way

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I personally find their radio/suggestions to be a lot better than AM but the app is so bad I can't go back.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MrBond posted:

the SE will be the least effort choice for you if you don't want to think about it much

Same form factor as the 5-series, guts like a 6S (no 3D touch, but it's not that big a miss) and priced like a mid-range Android. I'm surprised it doesn't sell more, really.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Back when I tried Apple Music it seemed intent on pushing me towards certain music. Like Apple was getting kickbacks to promote particular artists. Which I'm sure all of them do, but with Apple I had a much more difficult time discovering music compared to Spotify.

They've had at least one major revision since then, so I'm sure it's better now. Personally I preferred Rdio to all of them, but now it's Spotify all the way.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I personally find their radio/suggestions to be a lot better than AM but the app is so bad I can't go back.

What parts of the app don't you like? I'm not defending it, just curious.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Dave posted:

What parts of the app don't you like? I'm not defending it, just curious.

It crashed all the time for me. It was bloated and they made some weird UI choices (AM suffers from this too) and I miss the stars.

And the mac desktop app was really bad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Interesting. I don't have any major beef with the mobile app. Sometimes it's dumb and thinks I'm offline and it takes a second to get back, but the UI really doesn't get in my way. The desktop app I have even less issues with. I've never give. AM a chance though, too dependent on Spotify curated content.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I do miss Spotify. But I've gotten too used to AM and it's first party status in iOS. I'll live. I don't even know why I pay for it when all I've been listening to lately is Thundercat.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have the GPMAA $7.99 grandfathered deal and an iPhone. I know Apple Music is better for the ecosystem and I have an AW2...so it kind of irks me that GPM will never be fully supported on the watch. Clicking the side button and swiping over the control screen is pretty great mid-run (Airpods) so at least that works.

I do, at times, wish I could just dump some music on the watch for running, but it's not worth giving up my $7.99 GPM/YouTube Red. Google's got me...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Algorithmic radio is a lot better, the Daily Mixes are good, browsing the catalog is a bit faster, there's a web player, and it lets you use the app on one device to remotely control playback on another device.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

hotsauce posted:

I do, at times, wish I could just dump some music on the watch for running, but it's not worth giving up my $7.99 GPM/YouTube Red. Google's got me...
Glad you like it, but since we're talking Apple Music in case people don't know, Apple sells (at Best Buy and I assume others) a 12-month AM gift card for $100. So it takes a commitment but that's $8.33/mo.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Glad you like it, but since we're talking Apple Music in case people don't know, Apple sells (at Best Buy and I assume others) a 12-month AM gift card for $100. So it takes a commitment but that's $8.33/mo.

Depending on how the taxes work out, it's basically the same as the $7.99 + tax I'm on. I have no beef with Apple Music, it's just I've forgotten how bad ads in YouTube suck and how annoying it is having audio pause when YouTube is put in the background it stops. Aggravating.

If Google every mucks with the grandfathered rate, I'll happily move over to Apple Music and buy a 3rd party YouTube app that skirts the ads/background restrictions (while the dev plays the API break/patch game).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Apple Music and Spotify are both really good. The one thing I'd love AM to get is better discovery options. Also I don't like how the main screen in AM shows recently added and not recently played. I know there is a recently played list in the app but I really prefer how Spotify does it. I rather have that list front and center and easier to use.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spotify playlists and suggestions are leagues better than AM but I'm with Apple Music for the iCloud library. I've too much music that isn't on AM (mainly hip hop mixtapes) that Spotify wouldn't allow me to stream.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

And if your school never deletes your email address you can get Apple for $5/month.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Spotify has the same deal but I thought they both had some method to check active enrollment

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Spotify has the same deal but I thought they both had some method to check active enrollment

It's literally sending a verification email to your .edu email address.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
One thing I forgot to mention, Apple Musics recommendations seem mostly garbage. There's a "For You" playlist that updates every week but it mostly seems to be 'hot tracks' that the kids are listening to. I rarely listen to most of the kinds of music it recommends even though I hit the dislike button generously.

What it DOES have however is a selection of recommended albums if you scroll down past recently played and playlists, and those have always been spot on for me.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

ManSedan posted:

One thing I forgot to mention, Apple Musics recommendations seem mostly garbage. There's a "For You" playlist that updates every week but it mostly seems to be 'hot tracks' that the kids are listening to. I rarely listen to most of the kinds of music it recommends even though I hit the dislike button generously.

What it DOES have however is a selection of recommended albums if you scroll down past recently played and playlists, and those have always been spot on for me.

Is use the "For You" playlist (it's called "My new Music Mix") and it's fantastic. I've been listening to it constantly the last 5 months and I put songs I like on a separate playlist. This playlist now has 130 songs and they're all of artists that I'd never heard of before Apple Music. I pay $5 for Apple Music but I'd gladly pay $20 for just the suggestions. It's amazing.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I had to login on my institution Wifi.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I think Apple actually takes it a step further and verifies through the school each semester. But poo poo, I just graduated with a lifetime .edu email address, and am thinking about being the guinea pig, because I completely forgot about the Apple Music student discount.

Edit: nah, it doesn't work for Apple Music, so Spotify it is. (unless this UNiDAYS service is literally just "sends an email to the email address for verification")

Apple Music posted:

When you join Apple Music as a student member, UNiDAYS, a student validation service, confirms that you're enrolled in a degree-granting university or college*.
Periodically, UNiDAYS re-validates your student status. If UNiDAYS finds that you're no longer a student or if you reach 48 months of Student Membership, your membership automatically becomes an Apple Music Individual Membership.

enojy fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 9, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Yeah the .edu email student discounts were possible like 5 years ago, now basically every company uses a student verification service like that.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

LPG Giant posted:

Is use the "For You" playlist (it's called "My new Music Mix") and it's fantastic. I've been listening to it constantly the last 5 months and I put songs I like on a separate playlist. This playlist now has 130 songs and they're all of artists that I'd never heard of before Apple Music.

Yeah this is the playlist I meant. I dunno I feel AM knows my tastes pretty well by now, based on the playlists and albums it recommends in the same section, but the New Music Mix is consistently music I have zero interest in listening to.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
How good is Apple Music at having it suggest songs from specific countries or languages? Like if I'm really in the mood for some French hip hop or whatever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I can't really tell since I (unsurprisingly) recognize zero songs, but whats the context of "new" in that list supposed to be -- new as in just recently released, or new as in you've never listened to it before?

I guess I'm asking, does that list ever include songs that are, say, eight years old or is it all 2016/2017 stuff?

Unrelated, I am a weirdo who mainly signs up for AM for the occasional month to be able to stream old broadcasts of Beats One radio shows (mostly Abstract Radio and Soulection).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Google Music crushes all when it comes to variety and deeper cuts. Unless Apple has changed up their algorithms for the stuff - I ain't going back.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I can't really tell since I (unsurprisingly) recognize zero songs, but whats the context of "new" in that list supposed to be -- new as in just recently released, or new as in you've never listened to it before?

I guess I'm asking, does that list ever include songs that are, say, eight years old or is it all 2016/2017 stuff?

Unrelated, I am a weirdo who mainly signs up for AM for the occasional month to be able to stream old broadcasts of Beats One radio shows (mostly Abstract Radio and Soulection).

It's all stuff released in the last 1-2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I need whatever service I use to work on my Echos. Believe that rules out Apple music and Google music. So, spotify it is!