Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Time posted:

Should be make it, take it imo

make it take it with 12 minute quarters.

we'll finally see someone get 200 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Time posted:

Question: when was the last time the best player in the league was foreign? Dirk? I know he won MVP in 06-07 but that was a close year. Before that is had to be Hakeem.

Soon it will be Giannis
It's Embiid now

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I present to you guys a suicide mission

https://twitter.com/pdxbrocialite/status/873271877745102848

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Wonder what they're pouring for those shots

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Perrier in a 3-shot glass.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

hes one of the most durable players of all time and has been playing meaningful minutes as a pf for a ton of years? why would he be more injury prone than any other bigman

Extremely heavy minutes catching up to him. Minutes is more important than age.

LBJ has played 35+ MPG in each of his first fourteen NBA seasons. Only Elvin Hayes, Oscar Robertson, and Wilt Chamberlain have done that before. Oscar and Wilt both retired after their fourteenth season and Elvin did 28 MPG in his fifteenth year.

Also, LBJs playoff runs from 2011-2017 are unprecedented in NBA history.

Kibner posted:

Who would be the best 3v3 All-Center team? Cousins | Davis | Jokic(?)?

Karl-Anthony Towns, Rudy Gobert, Anthony Davis.

Michael Corleone posted:

The Cavs can't beat the Warriors in 5 on 5 or 3 on 3, but would they have a chance 4 on 3?

Yes, especially if James Jones and Deron Williams are involved.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Those could be like shots of smirnoff ice and there will still be fully packed er

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-Iman Shumpert must shave his head. It's the only way to win in seven.

-Curry has made 30+ straight FTs these playoffs but he's still far from the record of 56 straight by Bill Sharman in the 1959 playoffs.

-LBJ is about to pass MJJ in another area. Finals points:

code:
PTS	Player
1317	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
1284	Jerry West
1176	Michael Jordan
1175	LeBron James

Tae posted:

What about mark jackson, zogo

Dangerous Traits of Cult Leaders
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/201208/dangerous-cult-leaders

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ws are averaging 12.7 3s per game in the post season so for a 185 lb dude over the course of a ~3 hour game would have a BAC of .243.

So, blackout drunk but survivable.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Ws are averaging 12.7 3s per game in the post season so for a 185 lb dude over the course of a ~3 hour game would have a BAC of .243.

So, blackout drunk but survivable.

i don't think you're including the unsung sidekick that is the chaser/side beer

tonight the warriors will indeed be "killing it"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KD's currently on the 3rd best finals start through three games since 1984:

code:
Player		 Season		Average GmSc
Magic Johnson	 1986-87	32.2
Shaquille O'Neal 1999-00	31.7
Kevin Durant	 2016-17	30.8
Shaquille O'Neal 2001-02	30.8
Michael Jordan	 1990-91	30.7
Shaquille O'Neal 2000-01	30.2
LeBron James	 2014-15	28.4
LeBron James	 2016-17	28.1
Magic Johnson	 1987-88	28
Michael Jordan	 1992-93	27.9
Michael Jordan	 1991-92	26.4
If he has a big game tonight it could be the best in a long time.

RaySmuckles posted:

if this team is getting swept by GS how are they going to improve themselves?

lebron is too dominant a personality to fit in a system that demands players shed their egos and do what they're told while being shouted at by pop. plus i think the spurs are trying to develop kawhi and having showtime lebron around might stunt his growth. on the other hand, if lebron intends on owning/running a team it might behoove him to go to SA and see how its done there. just a fun thought exercise. i doubt he ever leaves the east unless the cavs really are stuck at their ceiling and he gets tired of getting swept in the finals.

Focus on defense.

LBJ would help Kawhi by teaching him more NBA secrets.

EvanTH posted:

whoa Klay's Dad and a basketball player named "Brickowski" who misses a lot of shots on that list

Rodman had fun with him the whole series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htRsHwtsWic

Metapod posted:

Why am I comparing green and Rodman?

To observe the evolution of the game. Green has a wider skillset.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

I think you're talking about something different than I am completely and frankly I don't know what it is. The next innovation after the current wave of increased screening and 3pt shooting is...more people will be good at 3pt shooting? They will be on the same team more often? I'm not talking about the current direction of the league, and I'll grant that my question was a bit silly because of course no one knows the answer, but this is just a non sequitur.

You're talking about a brand new shiny paradigm to basketball and I'm talking more incrementally. Not merely "good" at 3P shooting. You must make a distinction in 3P shooting. There are many good 3P shooters in the league but imagine a LOT of players having the shooting ability of Durant/Curry all on the same team. There are many guys who can hang close to the line but there aren't many who can make 30-40+ foot shots look routine.

Part of the innovation would be in players being trained in and unlocking (what is considered now to be) a preternatural shooting ability. It could be the baseline eventually. Just like Babe Ruth was the only guy in the MLB who could launch HRs into the stands. Now there are hundreds of guys in the MLB who can hit long HRs.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Kawhi is a better and more consistent shooter than Lebron...

LBJ has extremely strong shooting numbers. Overall, he was superior to Kawhi this year even in his hibernation/cruise control mode.

DeimosRising posted:

Similarly with the Mike Brown thing, you're just misunderstanding what's happening. Mike Brown didn't create or install a system in GS. No one is "bowing down" to him let alone a hypothetical other coach of the same players. Hell, people are hesitant to crown Kerr a top coach because he's in a bit of a Doc Rivers situation where he has the most talent and his defense was heavily influenced by an assistant (who was a former assistant of the same guy who worked for Rivers, you've possibly heard of him). I'll pull a Zogo and declare myself right about an unproveable hypothetical: had Mike Brown been hired as head coach of the Warriors in May 2014 rather than Steve Kerr, they would currently have 0 rings, no Kevin Durant, and Steph Curry would never have been MVP. Guaranteed.

The whole narrative on Mike Brown was that he was a stupid coach who would get outmatched and outwitted because he made stupid faces on the bench. When in reality the numbers throughout NBA/ABA history show that LBJ was just too young to be gunning for titles in his early 20s.

It's not just Mike Brown though. There's tons of historical evidence showing that the great players easily adapt to new systems and thrive in them even with new coaches. Coaches and systems are subservient to the guys on the floor despite all the narratives.

Some people would be bowing down to Hoiberg right now if he was GSW coach rather than leading a group of alpha malcontents in some nightmarish mixture of Lord of the Flies on the Island of Dr. Moreau.

I'm hesitant to crown anyone as a top coach and more inclined to call them figureheads on average. Even Pop himself readily admits he would've been fired years ago if he didn't have Tim Duncan.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 9, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lmao

https://twitter.com/AlyshaTsuji/status/873295649957068800

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
lol^

all we need to win is for the big three to drop 40 plops and for all other cav players to be twice as good as they are

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

You're talking about a brand new shiny paradigm to basketball and I'm talking more incrementally. Not merely "good" at 3P shooting. You must make a distinction in 3P shooting. There are many good 3P shooters in the league but imagine a LOT of players having the shooting ability of Durant/Curry all on the same team. There are many guys who can hang close to the line but there aren't many who can make 30-40+ foot shots look routine.

Part of the innovation would be in players being trained in and unlocking (what is considered now to be) a preternatural shooting ability. It could be the baseline eventually. Just like Babe Ruth was the only guy in the MLB who could launch HRs into the stands. Now there are hundreds of guys in the MLB who can hit long HRs.

Yeah sure. We were just talking past each other. I was more trying to start a brainstorming session on where else the league can go. "Now, but moreso" isn't what I meant but I agree it'll probably happen that there will be more guys who can shoot from farther out. There don't seem to be any more guys who can shoot over .400 now than before though, so I'm not sure overall accuracy is going to improve.

Zogo posted:

The whole narrative on Mike Brown was that he was a stupid coach who would get outmatched and outwitted because he made stupid faces on the bench. When in reality the numbers throughout NBA/ABA history show that LBJ was just too young to be gunning for titles in his early 20s.

It's not just Mike Brown though. There's tons of historical evidence showing that the great players easily adapt to new systems and thrive in them even with new coaches. Coaches and systems are subservient to the guys on the floor despite all the narratives.

Some people would be bowing down to Hoiberg right now if he was GSW coach rather than leading a group of alpha malcontents in some nightmarish mixture of Lord of the Flies on the Island of Dr. Moreau.

I'm hesitant to crown anyone as a top coach and more inclined to call them figureheads on average. Even Pop himself readily admits he would've been fired years ago if he didn't have Tim Duncan.

I agree that players are far more important than coaches. You can't win (much) with a bad roster and you can't tank with great players. But role players, I think, get a lot out of being placed in the right position, and that's what makes the difference between contenders. I suspect that Brown would have continued to run the team much as Jackson had, giving more minutes and possessions to David Lee and not using Draymond Green as an offensive centerpiece, and I doubt he would have moved towards a PnR or motion based offense, he would likely have focused on more Curry, Klay, and Lee isos. Maybe he's developed a better mind for offense since the late 2000s, but I doubt it. I suspect they'd be a mid to upper 50 wins a year team, probably even a contender, but no 73 win season and no potential dynasty.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anyone else think the Cavs should start Frye or Korver in place of TT? They really need to punish the first 6 minutes of mandatory Zaza starting, because I feel part of Lebron's fatigue is him using up his Invincible Layup move too many times in the 1st half just to get buckets.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
i feel like the cavs should roll over on their bellies and demonstrate their submissiveness

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Tae posted:

Anyone else think the Cavs should start Frye or Korver in place of TT? They really need to punish the first 6 minutes of mandatory Zaza starting, because I feel part of Lebron's fatigue is him using up his Invincible Layup move too many times in the 1st half just to get buckets.

They'd be giving up on playing defense/rebounding entirely if they did that. GSW is throwing two guys at TT when a shot goes up. If TT is out they'd throw 2 at Love and make Lebron outrebound them by himself.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Even if they're giving out shots of Zima that still doesn't account for the beers you will definitely consume over the course of the game

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a bar in CLE so it's probable it's a ploy to murder Warriors fans.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

frye is so loving bad at everything except shooting its comical. hes the parody of defensive incompetence kevin loves been portrayed as being but actually worse cause hes like 6'11 with long arms and somehow still cant rebound or contest a shot

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

He's good at podcasting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OMG I just found out what Iman Shumpert named his daughter.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I have to wonder if Frye is one of those dudes that LeBron was saying doesn't know how to play basketball despite being an NBA player

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Carlosologist posted:

I have to wonder if Frye is one of those dudes that LeBron was saying doesn't know how to play basketball despite being an NBA player

I doubt it. Frye doesn't seem lost out there, he's just slow, unathletic, and weak. He's tall and he can shoot. He ain't dumb, he's just not an NBA caliber athlete - he's a walking proof that anyone 6'10" + who can hit a jumper will ALWAYS have a career in the league, and in fact be a net positive player even if they have no other skills at all.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zoux posted:

OMG I just found out what Iman Shumpert named his daughter.

Ian Sjumpert?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Ian Sjumpert?

Ian Sjumpert, Jr.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823248

the gdt for the last 5 minutes of jimmy falcon is up

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/873337381432197120
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/873339476457783296

this sounds lame as hell

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Injuries bout to skyrocket.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

They'll just make up fake injuries. There is literally no way to govern this.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm glad someone is finally doing something about the Spurs menace.

Next up: minutes minimums. Get back out there LeBron, those state farm policies aren't gonna sell themselves

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Paul Zuvella posted:

would they even be fake by halfway through the season

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Allowing teams to rest players without a diagnosed injury is a new-within-the-last ten years thing anyway and they still managed to rest guys when they wanted via like "uhhh . . . back. . . strain."

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

DNP - OLD

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just make up a fake doghouse and constantly rotate players in and out of the coach's good graces.

"Tony, I want you to jack up a half court shot in the first minute so I can pretend to get mad at you and bench you"

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Andre leaving or retiring?

https://twitter.com/ThompsonScribe/status/872978970073079811

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

E: Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

FIBA 3 x 3 tournament rules: http://www.fiba.com/documents/2016/01/29/3x3%20Rules%20of%20the%20game%202016%20table.pdf

3 players + 1 sub (can sub at any deadball)
Half court
Score 1s and 2s
First to 21 or whoever is leading after 10 minutes
12 second shot clock
Take it out beyond the arc on a rebound
Defence gets ball on made basket

1s and 2s mean Kyrie and Curry would absolutely kill in this.

Are NBA players going to do this? I was watching some YouTube clips of FIBA 3-on-3 and it's pretty garbage talent.

• Locked thread