Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually, I think I did apply to Amazon at one point. Haven't received any word on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

return0 posted:

You should apply to Amazon, it's actually cool and good.

Having worked there, it depends. There's a reason that the average job lifespan of an SDE is 3 years there. (Or is it 2?)

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm rooting for you, Pollyanna.

For myself, some unclear mixture of intimidation and disrespect has kept me from applying to Google. Maybe the even-handed way to put it is: I don't have confidence that Google's interview process will value the qualities I'm proud of.

Though I didn't write homebrew so I guess I have a shot. :v:

If you're willing to do so, would you mind sharing why via post or PM?

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
My experience in the Google interview was that it was about 25% domain based and 75% general algorithm knowledge. My mistake in the first interview was in assuming I could let natural ability do its thing and that light study of all the materials was enough. I didn't do that poorly, but it was clear in interview that my algorithm skills weren't up to par. The second interview I took two weeks off work to prep for and actually put in the time to learn algorithms top to bottom and felt like the interview really wasn't hard at all (ironically I neglected domain knowledge and tripped up there, but whatever, I got the job). If you are interested in applying (and you really should be, this place is much better anywhere else I've worked) doing all of Cracking the Coding Interview and working on Interview Cake or CLRS or whatever should be something you do.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Is CLRS a generally accepted resource for studying algorithms and big o? My college course for software development was all practical so I don't know anything about implementing data structures, big O, or common algorithms like sorting (except bubble sort and binary search). I'm looking for what resource to study to get me up to par for tech industry interviews. Somebody on here reccomended me a different book previously, but it was extremely math based so I found it very hard to follow.

Im also starting to read CtCI, it seems useful but some of the problems are pretty daunting because I lack any background knowledge about some of the structures, like the binary search trees.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ornithology posted:

Is CLRS a generally accepted resource for studying algorithms and big o? My college course for software development was all practical so I don't know anything about implementing data structures, big O, or common algorithms like sorting (except bubble sort and binary search). I'm looking for what resource to study to get me up to par for tech industry interviews. Somebody on here reccomended me a different book previously, but it was extremely math based so I found it very hard to follow.

Im also starting to read CtCI, it seems useful but some of the problems are pretty daunting because I lack any background knowledge about some of the structures, like the binary search trees.

I'm in a similar position, never got taught the algorithms fun that ctci is based off of. Would like an answer to this too.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
It's not like any of these things are esoteric, once you know the names of the things you should know (binary search, sorting, etc), just straight up search for those on Google and you'll find tons of stuff. Youtube has a ton of videos which visually show various sorting algorithms working, which can be a big help in understanding what they do.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Skandranon posted:

It's not like any of these things are esoteric, once you know the names of the things you should know (binary search, sorting, etc), just straight up search for those on Google and you'll find tons of stuff. Youtube has a ton of videos which visually show various sorting algorithms working, which can be a big help in understanding what they do.

That makes sense. I'll work through the book once I get home.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Skandranon posted:

This one is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqI6KT6cOas

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone else going to the Goto conference in Amsterdam next week?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I thought that conference was considered harmful?

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Part of the issue is that I don't know what's important to know beyond the few algorithms I mentioned. The book seems like a good resource to determine this info which is why I was asking if it's any good.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

That conference name is an Abbott and Costello routine waiting to happen.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I also liked Sorting algorithms demonstrated with Hungarian folk dance.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I never really understood how quicksort worked before I traced it on paper with a few times.

Reading about these things is a good start but to really understand them you'll have to put them in real use with a pen and paper imho.

Edit : phone posting typo correction

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 9, 2017

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Ornithology posted:

CLRS covers everything you could possibly need and probably at greater depth than you actually need for an interview. The other book I used was The Algorithm Design Manual, which is much more focused but requires being able to read C.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

return0 posted:

Compared to....?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pixelboy posted:

Compared to....?

Probably compared to what we've heard/read about Amazon.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Amazon work life quality appears to vary quite a bit between departments and managers. Way more so than most other companies.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Yeah, I know a few people at Amazon who really like it there.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, likewise.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
What are some solid resources out there for transitioning from the "I took a few database classes during my undergrad" to "I'm building a data warehouse for manufacturing researchers and I have no mentors at work?"

I've started reading through the Data Warehousing Toolkit.

We're currently in the "aggregate all of our data sources into historical DBs phase", and we have a staff of researchers making models who thus far rely on some of the systems guys to just scrap together excel spreadsheets for them to work with. I've been tasked with building or implementing whatever lays between those two problems and so far I've worked out that means a data warehouse and something to act as a front end for the researchers. I learned the phrase OLAP this week and then discovered there are like a billion software platforms that have already solved this problem to various degrees.

This field seems less easy to find hard information on than stuff I'm used to. Where should I go after I finish this book?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

return0 posted:

I remember hearing once from someone I know that used to work for Amazon that "being unable to work while on vacation" was levied as a legitimate criticism against him at some point.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
How representative of 300k+ person companies have y'all generally found half-remembered anecdotes from acquaintances?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

JawnV6 posted:

How representative of 300k+ person companies have y'all generally found half-remembered anecdotes from acquaintances?

I would say that Amazon and Uber are two well-known companies that have gotten a lot of negative press in the last few years about their work environment. Google and Microsoft are also two well-known companies that have not gotten similar negative press.

Would you say that this is an untrue characterization? (If so, do you think that Amazon and Uber get no press/positive press? Or do you think that MS and Google get negative press?)

If you think that's a correct characterization of the news, do you believe that it's random chance? I.e. it's a good bet that next month we'll hear stories that Microsoft harasses women and Google engineers all live in terror?

Do you think that there is a vast media conspiracy against Amazon?

It's fine to go #NotAllAmazons but is it unreasonable to start with the assumption that Amazon is a company that burns through engineers and doesn't give a poo poo about them?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

This seems like an appropriate time to post the Steve Yegge rant, which I find fascinating, hilarious, and horrifying. It's years old and I still think it's valuable, even if the cultures and technologies have changed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I live in the area, any cheap tickets left?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Keetron posted:

Kinda jealous that you live in Amsterdam.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Keetron posted:

My boss is paying so I don't know. But apparently if you know someone who went there before or who works for one of the sponsors, you can get a 15% off promo code from them. I don't have a code to share, though.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
A colleague of mine is presenting there, I'll ask if there are some codes to pass around.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Volmarias posted:

If you're willing to do so, would you mind sharing why via post or PM?

I would not. I'm not ashamed of it, though it might not reflect well on me. Maybe it belongs in this thread anyway.

I think I have an appropriate amount of impostor syndrome for someone with an extra-liberal arts degree who learned as they went through 4-5 years of web dev & ops experience. At the very beginning of that time, I was sometimes passed over for work due to (I strongly suspect) not having the right degree from the right university, or being unfamiliar with what gets covered in such programs: algorithms, O(n), data structures, C, FHS stuff, etc. But - maybe due to the webbiness or shabbiness of my work - I've never noticed a time when I or anyone I was working with could have benefited from having those things easily to mind.

In my experience, people don't need to have heard the word "subexponential" to notice a hosed-up nested loop and to see a way to fix it, and it's no more practical to find a system's current bottleneck by reading through code-paths than to find a factory's by looking at the blueprints of every station. And none of it will matter if deploys happen only on Mondays, or everything's getting impulsively re-architected around an ESB, or the company is making the wrong product entirely, or has all but divided into warring tribes, all of which are the sorts of things I found myself working on more and more.

When I started participating in hiring decisions a few years back, it was not at a place that put any weight on algorithms questions. But one failure mode I saw again and again was an excellent candidate getting rejected because they didn't know things which they "should know;" the interviewer and candidate will inevitably have had differing experiences with the same language or framework, but interviewers seemed to be biased towards thinking whatever only they knew was significant, and whatever only the candidate knew was, at best, interesting. The effect seemed to be stronger the more experience the candidate actually had; the longer they've worked, the more they 'should know." A friend once put it that developers are punished for everything they happen to not know, while managers are rewarded for everything they happen to know. I came to associate algorithm questions with this bias.

Given what I've shared of my professional history, the reason I find this attitude personally frightening should be obvious, but I'm also convinced it harms the organizations which allow it. Companies which plan to be around in five years should also plan to continuously educate all of their employees on everything they "should know." In my view, unless you're a fly-by-night operation just looking for a fast buildout followed by an inflated exit, you should hire and promote based on integrity, motivation, capability, understanding, knowledge, and experience, in that exact order, because it's also the order of hardest to easiest to teach.

(I stole the that list from Dee Hock, because I am an impostor.)

I hope all that helps explain why nothing I've ever heard about Google's hiring process has told me they're looking for dev-sec-sys-org-ops ivory tower pinheads like me (though I've enjoyed keeping up with the re:Work stuff). Which, if true, is fine: they know what they need better than I do, and I know that my knowledge isn't really What's Really Important, because I've seen that exact bias at work. My mental health obliges me to think my skills are valuable, but not that everyone has to value them. Maybe to any company above a certain size and organizational competence, I couldn't be anything but a middling individual contributor.

Last and least, I'm not convinced of Google's mission, either on paper or in practice, and I suspect I wouldn't be as proud of working there as some people seem to be.

Thank you for asking, I hope none of my answer felt like an attack.

e: and that this post hasn't completely destroyed my computer-touching-subforum reputation.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 11, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

e: and that this post hasn't completely destroyed my computer-touching-subforum reputation.

The forums are still semi-paywalled. I think you'll be fine. But I agree with everything here 100%.

Over the last year I was preparing to go into the Google interview process and independently came up with the same reasons I don't what to go through it.

Do I want Google on my resume? Yes, why not. But I don't want it bad enough to go through that process.

This was after I did a test interview at Uber in which the interviewer said, "I can't believe you can't do this."

It wasn't an issue that I couldn't do the problem it was that I rarely verbalize on with others my exact thought process. When I talk with problems at my company with my boss and others, it's not college-style algorithm problems we're discussing. So when I get these interview problems, I'm thinking more, "What real world problem exists that I would have to do this and is this the right problem that we should be solving?"

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

geeves posted:

This was after I did a test interview at Uber in which the interviewer said, "I can't believe you can't do this."

Well, to be fair, gently caress Uber

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Steve French posted:

Yeah he was kind of lovely interviewer. When I finally said gently caress it (it was mostly because this was my first tech interview in 6+ years) mostly because I wanted to restructure how the problem was setup because how it was setup was completely stupid, I asked how he solved it and his reply was, "I don't have time to go into that with you."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Steve French posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a great reason to never work there. Among about 1000 different reasons.

And I also agree with everything in your post, Doc. Hiring practices in tech have tried to boil themselves down to minutia and trivia, because that makes it easy and brainless (if ineffectual) to hire people, and the industry as a whole is not geared towards retaining people. It's a common problem everywhere because businesses are more pre-occupied with aping Google and scoring unicorn exits than anything else.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a great reason to never work there. Among about 1000 different reasons.

And I also agree with everything in your post, Doc. Hiring practices in tech have tried to boil themselves down to minutia and trivia, because that makes it easy and brainless (if ineffectual) to hire people, and the industry as a whole is not geared towards retaining people. It's a common problem everywhere because businesses are more pre-occupied with aping Google and scoring unicorn exits than anything else.

Yeah we don't want unicorns... or a carver or more specifically people who think they are unicorns. The latter usually identify themselves pretty quickly in various ways.

We had one guy we interviewed that said we should change our entire rest api over to node because node.js. Couldn't back any of it up when we drilled him about versioning, security or even simply what exists in node to make a rest api. One answer he gave was, "well, everyone knows javascript." :sigh:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

geeves posted:

Yeah we don't want unicorns... or a carver or more specifically people who think they are unicorns. The latter usually identify themselves pretty quickly in various ways.

We had one guy we interviewed that said we should change our entire rest api over to node because node.js. Couldn't back any of it up when we drilled him about versioning, security or even simply what exists in node to make a rest api. One answer he gave was, "well, everyone knows javascript." :sigh:

Dear lord that guy sounds like he's a terminal case. Better implement that rest API in node because.... people know JavaScript? What a well thought out position :rolleyes:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda jealous that you live in Amsterdam.

It is overrated but I wouldn't trade it for almost any other place on earth, mostly for how it benefits my kids to live in the burbs of Amsterdam in one of the highest rated countries on earth. Yes, I tell them often about their privilege.

Carbon dioxide posted:

My boss is paying so I don't know. But apparently if you know someone who went there before or who works for one of the sponsors, you can get a 15% off promo code from them. I don't have a code to share, though.
As it turns out, my wife is already going so I am the responsible adult to ensure my kids are fed, watered and put to bed in time. If you are still around on Thursday, there is a meetup.com hands-on test tooling workshop at bol.com where I will be a TA on the FitNesse automation framework. PM for more info, I am sure I can get you in if you come from far.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

geeves posted:

This guy is a jerk who deserves to work in a company with other jerks.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Keetron posted:

This guy is a jerk who deserves to work in a company with other jerks.

Rumored story about uber and lyft. When the mass exodus from twitter happened, all the poo poo heads twitter couldn't fire went to uber because managers from twitter who are now at lyft wouldn't hire them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Keetron posted:

It is overrated but I wouldn't trade it for almost any other place on earth, mostly for how it benefits my kids to live in the burbs of Amsterdam in one of the highest rated countries on earth. Yes, I tell them often about their privilege.

As it turns out, my wife is already going so I am the responsible adult to ensure my kids are fed, watered and put to bed in time. If you are still around on Thursday, there is a meetup.com hands-on test tooling workshop at bol.com where I will be a TA on the FitNesse automation framework. PM for more info, I am sure I can get you in if you come from far.

I won't be there for the workshop days.