Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It starts with Fenn Shysa and Tobi Dala, who were two guys who also showed up with Boba Fett armour (they were introduced as part of the story arc where Luke, Leia, Lando and Chewie are searching for Boba Fett after ESB) and who originally appeared in the original Marvel Star Wars comics in the early 80s, as did the planet Mandalore. I think the bulk of their development came from RPB campaign guides and articles in Star Wars Insider later on, though. The Tales of the Jedi comics were pretty big because as far as I'm aware they're what established that the Mandalorians had been around for thousands of years as traditional enemies of the Republic.

I had the Essential Guide to Characters which was published in 1995 and was so comprehensive it had pages for Gethzerion, Bollux, Cindel Towani and a four-page spread on Kabe and Muftak, but the sole significant mention of the Mandalorians was one line in Boba Fett's biography which described them as "an evil band of warriors destroyed by the Jedi during the Clone Wars" so most of their development was definitely a late 90s thing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Yeah, but where does it come from that Boba Fett is a Mandalorian in the first place, etc. I'm mainly interested in the evolution of lore before the prequels.

Oh!

Yeah, it's from the ESB thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kotor 2 is the mandalorians best representation.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kotor 2 is the mandalorians best representation.

Yeah, I really dig how they are in the KOTOR games and the earlier Tales Of The Jedi comics. Space Viking Crusaders.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, I really dig how they are in the KOTOR games and the earlier Tales Of The Jedi comics. Space Viking Crusaders.

It's not even that, it's more how they represent what can be done in Star Wars without the Sith. Now yes, technically the Mandalorian Wars were caused by the Sith talking to Mandalore and pointing him at the Republic, but the actual conflict was very much a rogue nation versus the status quo, rather than an ideological struggle between light and dark. It showed that non darkside/lightside conflicts could be just as brutal and demoralizing as the worst Sith war. The game is also good enough to show both sides of the conflict, allowing the Mandalorians to embrace their heritage while also having everyone else call them out on how their warrior code is bullshit. The argument between Canderous and Kreia is wonderful because it shows how both sides reacted to the end of the war. Canderous bore it better than most, but many Mandalorians were utterly lost without the war, and went back to being normal people. Clan Ordo was their chance to regain their purpose and forge a destiny by rebuilding their culture.

KOTOR 2's Mandalorians are a lot closer to the Krogan in Mass Effect than they are to Klingons, and that's why I love them. I do like the Traviss Mandalorians, but they are definitely more in the proud warrior race stereotype with the addendum of "pragmatic" as the limits of their culture's depth. KOTOR 2 explores what it means to be Mandalorian and whether or not that is a good thing, or just fooling oneself. Warrior race stereotypes only really work if you put thought into them, like KOTOR 2 Mandos or the Krogan.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I had the Essential Guide to Characters which was published in 1995 and was so comprehensive it had pages for Gethzerion, Bollux, Cindel Towani and a four-page spread on Kabe and Muftak, but the sole significant mention of the Mandalorians was one line in Boba Fett's biography which described them as "an evil band of warriors destroyed by the Jedi during the Clone Wars" so most of their development was definitely a late 90s thing.

Which is a direct quote from the Empire Strikes Back novelization. And notice that that's describing his armor alone - I don't think anyone identified Fett himself as a Mandalorian until the prequels. It's not part of the backstory given for him in "Tales of the Bounty Hunters". I wonder if, because they were meant to be part of the Clone Wars, a lot of writers assumed the Mandalorians were one of the topics considered 'off limits' to the early EU.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There was a brief time that armour was basically just space ranger/cop gear the character originally stole or took with him from his previous job before killing a dude.

Man, like always Boba Fett poo poo is crazy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Salami posted:

Which is a direct quote from the Empire Strikes Back novelization. And notice that that's describing his armor alone - I don't think anyone identified Fett himself as a Mandalorian until the prequels. It's not part of the backstory given for him in "Tales of the Bounty Hunters". I wonder if, because they were meant to be part of the Clone Wars, a lot of writers assumed the Mandalorians were one of the topics considered 'off limits' to the early EU.

Interesting to learn; I haven't read any of the OT novelisations. I recall a few other possible backstories for him summarised in the Essential Guide to Characters: one was that he was a stormtrooper who murdered his commanding officer; one was that he was a former Journeyman Protector named Jaster Mereel; and one was that he wore his helmet because he was unusually ugly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Interesting to learn; I haven't read any of the OT novelisations. I recall a few other possible backstories for him summarised in the Essential Guide to Characters: one was that he was a stormtrooper who murdered his commanding officer; one was that he was a former Journeyman Protector named Jaster Mereel; and one was that he wore his helmet because he was unusually ugly.

The Jaster Mereel one came from Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story collection, and it was alright, if mostly involved Fett sitting around and talking to people. That was retconned a bit, I remember, in that Jango Fett video game, where he mentions Jaster Mereel being a mentor of his. Which was a cool shout out to that silly short story. Though of course, none of this is canon anymore.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think the Bounty Hunter sourcebook for the West End game mentions stuff about it too, but I don't have my copy handy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

The Jaster Mereel one came from Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story collection, and it was alright, if mostly involved Fett sitting around and talking to people.

Yeah, I remember that, though there was more to the Fett story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters than sitting around and talking, as I recall. That was the one where he tracks down Labria from the Mos Eisley cantina and takes him out with a bow and arrow because he can't use his usual weapons or armour. He needed the bounty to replace one of his legs which had been decaying since he'd been trapped in the Sarlacc.

Was that also the one where he reminisces about how he first saw Han Solo doing a stunt that should have been deadly in a swoop race, then at the end Fett and Han have a stand off that ends with them making peace with one another after years of feuding? I think it was; if it wasn't, I'm not sure where it was.

All those Fett stories from the Tales anthologies were written by Daniel Keys Moran and I remember them being pretty good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, I remember that, though there was more to the Fett story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters than sitting around and talking, as I recall. That was the one where he tracks down Labria from the Mos Eisley cantina and takes him out with a bow and arrow because he can't use his usual weapons or armour. He needed the bounty to replace one of his legs which had been decaying since he'd been trapped in the Sarlacc.

Was that also the one where he reminisces about how he first saw Han Solo doing a stunt that should have been deadly in a swoop race, then at the end Fett and Han have a stand off that ends with them making peace with one another after years of feuding? I think it was; if it wasn't, I'm not sure where it was.

All those Fett stories from the Tales anthologies were written by Daniel Keys Moran and I remember them being pretty good.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the one. I mainly remember a scene of him talking to Leia in Jabba's palace, and the stand off at the end. Though I thought I remembered it being more ambiguous on how it would end. Like, they say maybe they should just walk away, maybe they should kill each other.

There may be more action than I remember. I just remember 13 year old me was bored by it. That punk kid had pretty bad taste, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think the Tales Of books are perhaps the only decent bit of the old EU that is involved in the whole 'every minor character has an interesting back story that links all events together'. Well, as long as they stay away from DEATH STAR PLANS.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

thrawn527 posted:

The Jaster Mereel one came from Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story collection, and it was alright, if mostly involved Fett sitting around and talking to people. That was retconned a bit, I remember, in that Jango Fett video game, where he mentions Jaster Mereel being a mentor of his. Which was a cool shout out to that silly short story. Though of course, none of this is canon anymore.
The comic Open Seasons was all about Jango's time with Mereel, and going back to the Mandalorian question, was also the most in-depth look at movie-era Mandalorians until Traviss. I enjoyed it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oddly, he used a pseudonym for "A Barve Like That" (about escaping the Sarlacc), since apparently he wasn't happy with the direction the editorial team wanted him to take it. It's my personal favorite, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Hydronium posted:

The comic Open Seasons was all about Jango's time with Mereel, and going back to the Mandalorian question, was also the most in-depth look at movie-era Mandalorians until Traviss. I enjoyed it.

I liked it. I remember issue two was included as bonus content you could unlock in Star Wars: Bounty Hunter on PS2 etc.

Fourth issue ("Spring") has a really silly-looking cover:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked it. I remember issue two was included as bonus content you could unlock in Star Wars: Bounty Hunter on PS2 etc.

Fourth issue ("Spring") has a really silly-looking cover:

I'll say.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like you've never hidden in a flower bed to surprise someone with two blasters before

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The first time I ever saw the word "Mandalorian" was in respect to Boba Fett's armor. I can't remember where I saw it written though, might have been in one of the various Illustrated Guides to Star Wars or something to that effect that I had flipped through when I was younger. I do remember the quote being like "Nobody is sure of how he came to own this suit of Mandalorian armor". At the time it was kind of a cool bit of worldbuilding for me (I was between 8 and 10 probably when I read it) because I didn't really know about the Expanded Universe so it was neat to me that there was this kind of stuff that wasn't really touched on in the films or the games at the time (this was probably around '97, for reference).

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The earliest Mandalorian stuff I remember coming across was something along the lines that they were all extinct and Boba was the last one left.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like you've never hidden in a flower bed to surprise someone with two blasters before

To be fair it works now. I'd never expect a Fett amongst a flowerbed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Which is a direct quote from the Empire Strikes Back novelization. And notice that that's describing his armor alone - I don't think anyone identified Fett himself as a Mandalorian until the prequels.

The 80s Marvel comics with Fenn Shysa did. His backstory was that he, Fett, and the other guy whose name I forget were the last survivors of the Mandalorians who fought for the Emperor during the Clone Wars.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think the Tales Of books are perhaps the only decent bit of the old EU that is involved in the whole 'every minor character has an interesting back story that links all events together'. Well, as long as they stay away from DEATH STAR PLANS.

Well get ready because this October they're releasing a book that has 40 short stories, each one about a separate background character from ANH. So essentially a new version of the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_From_a_Certain_Point_of_View

Ashley Eckstein is writing one of the stories which I assume means that one character in ANH will now canonically be a disguised Ahsoka.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What exactly qualifies an actor to be an author? I mean, yes it can be done and sometimes it works out well, but those are the exceptions.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly qualifies an actor to be an author? I mean, yes it can be done and sometimes it works out well, but those are the exceptions.

Eh, she's popular with the Star Wars fandom, between Ashoka and Her Universe, so if she expressed an interest in writing, then I'm not surprised the publisher jumped on getting to put her name on the book with the others. It's a short story, you don't really hurt much if her story sucks. And if it's good, they get to put her name on more books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've never really been a fan of Eckstein. I mean, she's nowhere near as bad as Catherine Taber for infuriating characters, but she never struck me as all that interesting for the longest time on Clone Wars.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've never really been a fan of Eckstein. I mean, she's nowhere near as bad as Catherine Taber for infuriating characters, but she never struck me as all that interesting for the longest time on Clone Wars.

Ahsoka grew on me as the Clone Wars went on, and by the end I consider her one of the absolute top tier characters. A huge part of that is her voice acting. Plus, Her Universe has some cool nerdy poo poo for girls and women that my wife loves, and I'm totally gonna use when my daughter is older than 1 and grows into the "kids" section of the website. I also saw her speak at a Heroines of Star Wars panel at Celebration (that Daisy Ridley surprised everyone by showing up at) and she seemed really cool and chill and embracing of the fans. Later on she posed with a massive group of Ahsoka cosplayers.

She cool.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 8, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

Ahsoka grew on me as the Clone Wars went on, and by the end I consider her one of the absolute top tier characters. A huge part of that is her voice acting. Plus, Her Universe has some cool nerdy poo poo for girls and women that my wife loves, and I'm totally gonna use when my daughter is older than 1 and grows into the "kids" section of the website. I also saw her speak at a Heroines of Star Wars panel at Celebration (that Daisy Ridley surprised everyone by showing up at) and she seemed really cool and chill and embracing of the fans. Later on she posed with a massive group of Ahsoka cosplayers.

She cool.

That's fair enough, but I could never get over her voice, and the way she was written. I think most of the writing in Clone Wars actually got pretty drat bad after Gilroy left, and in my mind Season 5 as a whole is a dumpster fire where they were on the cusp of being canceled, so they wrapped up as many plot threads as they could in a super choppy fashion.

"Who's the Jedi who would willingly kill other Jedi and blame Ahsoka for it? Well, it needs to be someone close to Ahsoka to make the betrayal more palpable. But, we haven't really developed any Ahsoka relationships with anyone beyond Anakin outside of one off episodes. I know, Barriss! They had two episodes together, three seasons ago. And Barriss hasn't been since since apart from a starfighter cameo in one episode. Screw it, it'll work!"

By the time Season 5 hit I was just tired of everything Filoni was doing with the show and how narrow the focus had shrunk from the first two seasons. So consider me surprised when the Fives episodes and the freaking Jar Jar episodes from the half finished season 6 happened to be quite good. But it wasn't enough to save a show that blew its load early, and Ahsoka got caught up in that.

EDIT: Hahahaha, I was watching some videos of the old Lucasarts game Mercenaries Playground of Destruction, and one of the news reporters is named Kyle Kowakian.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 9, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So I've just started reading Dark Disciple, and is Quinlan Vos the worst? I don't really remember him from Clone Wars, I guess he was part of the Ziro plot. But he's, like, too perfect and a "bad boy". He is so "doesn't play by the rules," it hurts. Does he get better?

Also, the idea that a Jedi who specializes in going undercover has a yellow tattoo across his face seems...ill advised.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

So I've just started reading Dark Disciple, and is Quinlan Vos the worst? I don't really remember him from Clone Wars, I guess he was part of the Ziro plot. But he's, like, too perfect and a "bad boy". He is so "doesn't play by the rules," it hurts. Does he get better?

Also, the idea that a Jedi who specializes in going undercover has a yellow tattoo across his face seems...ill advised.
It's alright. Golden didn't do very much to flesh out the screenplays that it was adapted from and it shows.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

thrawn527 posted:

Vos started out as an unnamed background extra in The Phantom Menace (during the scene where Sebulba attacks Jar Jar Binks), and later became a long-running protagonist of Dark Horse Comics' Star Wars: Republic series, which was published between Episodes II and III. During that time, Quinlan Vos became something of a fan favorite, and that seemed enough to earn him a space on The Clone Wars TV show (which effectively overwrote the comics continuity).
Of course, in a 22 minute show, there's only so much characterization you can cram in, so they cut about 90% of what was actually a pretty well-rounded character and settled on a few basic traits (being able to "read" objects and, yes, "not playing by the rules"). For some reason, they also turned him from moody broody guy to happy-go-lucky surfer guy. Go figure.
Dark Disciple as a multi-part TV script may have been an attempt to get a bit of the old characterization back, and on the screen the change from careless free spirit to somber dramatic character may have worked (especially given the heightened reality portrayal of the show), but on the page it doesn't.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vos's characterization on the show can be summed up by how Obi Wan describes him to Anakin.
"He's crazy"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

that game was cool but holy gently caress it had a insane dificulty curve once you hit the prison planet. plus the platforming was terrible(back when every star wars game had a poo poo ton of platforming). it sucks because i like jango(one of the few thing from the prequels i dig apart from the music and the designs of the aliens/ships/droids) so tomorrow is e3 and ea is showing off battlefront 2 and probaly another new star wars game.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that game was cool but holy gently caress it had a insane dificulty curve once you hit the prison planet. plus the platforming was terrible(back when every star wars game had a poo poo ton of platforming). it sucks because i like jango(one of the few thing from the prequels i dig apart from the music and the designs of the aliens/ships/droids) so tomorrow is e3 and ea is showing off battlefront 2 and probaly another new star wars game.

Knowing EA probably Battlefront 3 :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pops Mgee posted:

Knowing EA probably Battlefront 3 :v:

nope. just 2. looks cool though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I may pick that one up actually, especially if they keep to the whole 'free post launch content' promise they made.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Vos's characterization on the show can be summed up by how Obi Wan describes him to Anakin.
"He's crazy"

When I watched Clone Wars, I thought he was basically Poochie the Jedi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q51LZ2HpbE

I really like the Duel of the Fates rendition in the trailer. It won't be in the game though, which is too bad. I imagine the Clone Wars walker assault will be to stop the MTT. I just hope that they put in an old fashion capture point conquest game mode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 11, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh it will be there amongst the 20 other game modes half or more which will certainly be a ghost town a month after launch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All I need is Conquest, Walker Assault and Hunt Mode.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I want more Battlestation that poo poo was great. You could easily do the same structure with DS2 and Starkiller base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I know it's a Star Wars deathmatch game and the trailer is just to show that, and that there's plenty more immediately following, but the canon-smashing implications of Darth Maul leading a CIS attack was jarring.

He's a bad guy and droids are bad guys, so same team! But... jarring.