Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't seem very fair to blame him for Tikal when she's all Sega's fault. Unless there's another one?

Tikal wasn't a Guardian. In the old Archie canon the Knuckles clan aren't related to Knuckles, Locke just named his son after them for no good reason.

The only Guardian to die was Janelle-li, Athair's mother, who was killed after taking over as active Guardian so Athair could run around doing Important Things (tm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The White Dragon posted:

every time i see this image i remember that this isn't the first time i've seen it and it reads bottom to top. but never after thinking, "how do edmund and dmitri have kids together"

I was phone posting so I couldn't really see the names, but yeah who the gently caress makes a lineage chart that goes bottom to top?

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't know much about the sonic comix and I was kicking back on this lovely friday evening with a nice big glass of lemonade while enjoying Cybershell's sonic comic video and I almost did a loving spit take at this part so I paused the video and came to post about this here immediately.

What the gently caress is this.

This raises so many more questions about Sonic's eyes than it answers.

I think it's supposed to be light shining on his eyelids/irises and not his internal sub-eyeball glowing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sonic is in the process of being turned into a robot with glowing eyes in that panel, so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurieg posted:

I think it's supposed to be light shining on his eyelids/irises and not his internal sub-eyeball glowing.

He means the freaky-rear end mono eyelid.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mono-eye means mono-eyelid, what's the problem

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Look at it, it's hideous.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How else are you supposed to show Sonic blinking?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the thing that makes it weird is that he has a line suggesting a normal, human-sized eyelid on top of his giant cartoon eyelids.
it's very deeply disturbing and Sonic has been ruined for me forever

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 4, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Based on cybershell's video, the characters that weren't sonic started out looking reasonably appropriate, then gradually turned into the stuff of furaffinity as time wore on. All the terrible male gaze-y/anatomic breaking stuff starts at least after issue 70 or so.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

WHY

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

DON'T

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

TELL

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

ME?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

????

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Quote your canon sonic blink.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure how those are different.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Its this one

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

this one's cutest

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I think this is the most correct one. You see, it turns out that the big white space was never Sonic's actual eyeballs, it was white fur. Sonic's actual eyes are the little black dots, you know, like an actual drat hedgehog.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Almost all of the Sonic ripoff animal mascots of the 90s were insanely terrible. However, there was at least one of them that was very good. And that was Sparkster the Rocket Knight. The Rocket Knight Adventures games for Genesis and Sparkster for SNES are great. They made another one for Xbox 360 a few years back and sadly it wasn't very good. We will probably never see Sparkster again because, well, Konami.

Rocket Knight worked because, while it was very obviously a game made in the wake of Sonic, it wasn't actually trying to be a Sonic clone - the first game in particular is barely even a platformer, it's pretty much just Contra.

King Vidiot posted:

They went straight for Bubsy and Shaq-Fu and didn't even give us a good new Streets of Rage done in the style of Double Dragon Neon. Or what about Zombies Ate My Neighbors?

I'm betting on the next retro reboot to be James Pond.

James Pond and Boogerman both had kickstarters, both were spectacular failures.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

The world is ready for a Ristar sequel.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
A Gears of War ripoff for Earthworm Jim, please.

One of the levels can just be a copy-paste of one of the 16-bit levels. No HD. No modifications. Just that level in its original glory.

Preferably Flyin' King or The Villi People

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

The world is ready for a Ristar sequel.

A Ristar sequel would actually work because Ristar was a good game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I will also say that your positive memories of the comics in those early issues (especially the mini-series) are most likely nostalgia. They don't hold up. A few years ago /co/ did a "Sonic Marathon" where they storytimed the whole series from issue 1 to the then latest issue (Just before the Pendering) As one of the people who did in fact cover for issues while the OPs internet went down... yeah, they were actually quite terrible.

That said, this image is still basically "The Sonic comic experience" to anyone who started from issue 1

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

this one just cuz his eyelids should be blue

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This one is my favorite, for these reasons:

Skeletome posted:

this one's cutest

King Vidiot posted:

I think this is the most correct one. You see, it turns out that the big white space was never Sonic's actual eyeballs, it was white fur. Sonic's actual eyes are the little black dots, you know, like an actual drat hedgehog.

Also I would definitely play Ristar Mania.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ProjektorBoy posted:

A Gears of War ripoff for Earthworm Jim, please.

One of the levels can just be a copy-paste of one of the 16-bit levels. No HD. No modifications. Just that level in its original glory.

Preferably Flyin' King or The Villi People

Ooooooh. Yeah. Earthworm Jim was great, too.

I don't really think of Earthworm Jim as one of those Not-Sonic animal mascots like Bubsy, Aero the Acrobat or Crash Bandicoot though. Earthworm Jim is kinda more like... Ninja Turtles meets Freakazoid meets Stretch Armstrong.

Now I really do miss Earthworm Jim. Those games were awesome.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ImpAtom posted:

Gladly. Giana Sisters were apparently actually really big in parts of Europe despite their weird history, especially since Nintendo was less successful over there. People legitimately really cared about Giana Sisters and bringing them back in a less-ripoffy way makes sense. Bubsy is a meme.

What could pawsibly go wrong?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ooooooh. Yeah. Earthworm Jim was great, too.

I don't really think of Earthworm Jim as one of those Not-Sonic animal mascots like Bubsy, Aero the Acrobat or Crash Bandicoot though. Earthworm Jim is kinda more like... Ninja Turtles meets Freakazoid meets Stretch Armstrong.

Now I really do miss Earthworm Jim. Those games were awesome.

Yeah I think the intent with Earthworm Jim was to straight-up make a cross-marketable character for Interplay, so they could have a game, toys, a comic and a cartoon.

And as much as I can't stand the man now, Douglas TenNappel did a really good job of making a memorable world and characters. I'd love to see further installments in that franchise, but I have no idea who has the rights or how they'd get into the hands of developers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Isn't Earthworm Jim's old artist a severe rear end in a top hat though? I'm kind of scared of what would happen if it was brought back and involved all of the old people involved in his creation.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

nerdbot posted:

There's a baseball episode where they all play baseball for a Chaos Emerald that is unironically the one good episode of the entire show.

As Deep Space Nine showed us a baseball episode is Always Good.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I think the intent with Earthworm Jim was to straight-up make a cross-marketable character for Interplay, so they could have a game, toys, a comic and a cartoon.

And as much as I can't stand the man now, Douglas TenNappel did a really good job of making a memorable world and characters. I'd love to see further installments in that franchise, but I have no idea who has the rights or how they'd get into the hands of developers.

The first 2 games were great and I liked the toys and cartoon as a kid too. Earthworm Jim kinda went downhill with Earthworm Jim 3D and they never made anything after that except for a Game Boy Color game that was even worse. The series just kinda vanished and was forgotten.

He was also in Clayfighter 63 & 1/3 along with Boogerman who was another game character I liked because I'm a very mature guy who likes fart jokes. That game is also notable for having possibly the most racist character I have ever seen in a video game who is Chinese guy who is all like "Ooooooh, Ching Chong ding dong poo poo platter!"

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I've been in a Sonic mood after watching all the Mania stuff so I got Sonic 3 on steam, but I keep getting stuck in the walls of Launch Base.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah, that sounds like Sonic 3. I used to get stuck in walls in Carnival Night the most.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

It's Dr. Robotnik's deadly speed traps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWJ55m-jQY

Still the best of said speed traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crabtree posted:

Isn't Earthworm Jim's old artist a severe rear end in a top hat though? I'm kind of scared of what would happen if it was brought back and involved all of the old people involved in his creation.

He writes for Breitbart and is a ridiculous homophobic sexist racist, yes.