Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played a few games of The Golden Wilderness last weekend. I generally like it, and especially the way that everybody benefits from the market events. The trick is to manipulate the board state to benefit much more than your opponents. The game is fine in the standard game, but shines in the advanced game where you can pull off some really interesting moves by starting a revolution. An example is that one played forced us to be an independent California which made all the wine we produced almost worthless, while he could sell his wood and corn at a premium.

But it has the worst rulebook I've ever seen. There are 4 rulesets; the beginner game, the easy game, the standard game and the advanced game, and they all reference back to the simpler ruleset while also changing the game fundamentally. On top of that, there's a very real possibility that you can't start the advance game without jumping through a bunch of hoops. We houseruled it to make it work, but that really shouldn't have been necessary. The designer even said that he didn't care because it probably doesn't happen that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Blamestorm posted:

Another factor you might want to consider is that Concordia plays well 2-5 players but Imperial shines 4-6.

Do I need the smaller map expansions for Concordia to play with 2 or does it work with the base game alone?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Pandemic Legacy sorta spoilers?
We just shotgunned May-Early June, and got totally hammered early May by reading a rule wrong (we, when drawing yellow cards, did outbreaks if they were already at three when we shouldn't have), got really close late May, then got really close Early June, but the cards hosed us by being all blue on the bottom, making it impossible to actually cure all diseases before running out of cards. It was a sad night, but we're back up to 6 extra cards in the deck, when we were down to zero.
Even though we're on a losing streak, we're still having fun!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

OgreNoah posted:

Pandemic Legacy sorta spoilers?
We just shotgunned May-Early June, and got totally hammered early May by reading a rule wrong (we, when drawing yellow cards, did outbreaks if they were already at three when we shouldn't have), got really close late May, then got really close Early June, but the cards hosed us by being all blue on the bottom, making it impossible to actually cure all diseases before running out of cards. It was a sad night, but we're back up to 6 extra cards in the deck, when we were down to zero.
Even though we're on a losing streak, we're still having fun!

These are May/June spoilers so everyone knows.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ima let u finish in me posted:

Do I need the smaller map expansions for Concordia to play with 2 or does it work with the base game alone?

It works fine with the Italy map in the base game but there's some 2p expansion maps that are tighter if you want more forced interaction.

EBag
May 18, 2006

ima let u finish in me posted:

Base game board works, but it basically encourages players to split up and go separate ways so there is much less interaction. The expansion boards are much tighter and don't start players in the middle of the board so you end up building in the same provinces a lot more and competing for cities.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Pandemic Legacy has been a great gateway game for my group, where I'm really the only one who's been into "heavier" board games up until this point. Given our usual number of at least 8, I've only really had success in bringing out social party games like Resistance and Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. Pandemic Legacy has been the first game I feel that's bridged the gap for us. We have to double up and have 2 people play each character; every once in awhile we run into analysis paralysis given the number of players, but nothing major and we're just about to tackle July next session with everyone still really enthusiastic for each coming month.

Any recommendations of follow-ups for when we inevitably finish up the whole year, and with me hoping we don't revert fully back to only social party/deduction games? I'd be looking for something that could potentially work for 6-8, but would also be manageable by having people double up for a game that only plays 3 to 4. I intend on getting Season 2 when it comes out; we've also cut our teeth on Risk: Legacy, but that one ended midway through partly due to tempers flaring, and partly due to it being Risk. I'm therefore thinking something co-operative, or at least with only minimal direct player competition.

I was considering introducing Viticulture next - my wife and I already enjoy 2 player, and I've never tried it for larger numbers, but I think that or something similar may work. Any recommendations?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Task Manager posted:

Pandemic Legacy has been a great gateway game for my group, where I'm really the only one who's been into "heavier" board games up until this point. Given our usual number of at least 8, I've only really had success in bringing out social party games like Resistance and Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. Pandemic Legacy has been the first game I feel that's bridged the gap for us. We have to double up and have 2 people play each character; every once in awhile we run into analysis paralysis given the number of players, but nothing major and we're just about to tackle July next session with everyone still really enthusiastic for each coming month.

Any recommendations of follow-ups for when we inevitably finish up the whole year, and with me hoping we don't revert fully back to only social party/deduction games? I'd be looking for something that could potentially work for 6-8, but would also be manageable by having people double up for a game that only plays 3 to 4. I intend on getting Season 2 when it comes out; we've also cut our teeth on Risk: Legacy, but that one ended midway through partly due to tempers flaring, and partly due to it being Risk. I'm therefore thinking something co-operative, or at least with only minimal direct player competition.

I was considering introducing Viticulture next - my wife and I already enjoy 2 player, and I've never tried it for larger numbers, but I think that or something similar may work. Any recommendations?

Risk Legacy is fun if you play it quick and stupid and don't read too much into it. I've seen some borderline fights break out over it though, so if tempers are short I would stay away from it.

Viticulture is pretty fun, and combine it with Tuscany for something that you'll be figuring out for a while.

For 2-4 as go-to's Karuba is an instant hit that nearly everyone can enjoy. Easy to learn and plays very quickly. Highly recommend it. Cottage Garden is pretty nice too, and is multiplayer Patchwork. Not sure how available it is at the moment though.

BlueHeron
Feb 20, 2015
If anyone's interested, earlier in the year a studio called 'Roland's Revenge' got permission from Reiner Knizia and GMT to make a special edition of Battle Line with a medieval theme, but it was limited to 100 copies and sold out in a few days.

http://rolandsrevenge.com/battle-line

They are doing another print run with improvements over the first edition, this time limited to 400 copies, which are going to go on sale soon.

From the mailing list:

quote:

• 350gsm card stock (most games use 270 - 300gsm.)
• Standard Bridge sized cards. 57 x 89mm (2.25" x 3.5")
• A compact rigid 2 part box with a card inlay.
• Box deep enough for card sleeves.
• An easier to read font that retains the medieval style
• Banner colours will be brighter to add contrast and readability

The people on this mailing list will be able to place Pre-orders on June 10th. Everyone else will be able to order from June 12th. I will send you a link in an email next Friday June 9th. Fullfilment of orders will hopefully begin at the end of July, if there are no production delays.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Talas posted:

Played our 7th session of Seafall with my group of four and just before I was going to win the game for the first time (I actually triggered the end), some random bullshit pops up and the guy in the lead wins again.

Now I'm 30 glory behind the third place and since I focused to move goods and market them, I'm hosed because most milestones now need exploration and rading. Oh, and got raided and lost two of my colonies.

I realized too late that the game is terrible. Any experience about what happens when a player drops out? Should I just soldier on? I think we just have three or two boxes left, anything cool? No spoilers please.

You should post about it in the Seafall thread. That was fun to watch as people slowly grew to hate the game.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

FulsomFrank posted:

Risk Legacy is fun if you play it quick and stupid and don't read too much into it. I've seen some borderline fights break out over it though, so if tempers are short I would stay away from it.

Viticulture is pretty fun, and combine it with Tuscany for something that you'll be figuring out for a while.

For 2-4 as go-to's Karuba is an instant hit that nearly everyone can enjoy. Easy to learn and plays very quickly. Highly recommend it. Cottage Garden is pretty nice too, and is multiplayer Patchwork. Not sure how available it is at the moment though.

I think the key to enjoying Risk: Legacy is definitely making sure it stays quick and not getting hung up on the choices someone makes. Our first few games were a lot of fun, but as more and more legacy rules were unlocked, and game times started stretching longer and longer, old animosities kept bubbling up to the point it just felt like a slog more than anything. I'd love to finish it up at some point - I've somehow still managed to not ruin the spoilers for that one despite having not played it in over a year.

I hadn't heard of either Karuba or Cottage Garden previously, but they both seem like they might end up working, even if we have to double up. Thanks!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
My standard recommendation for medium-light game for 2-5 is Istanbul. Almost everyone in my circles seems to at least enjoy it (and many people actively want to play). Maybe it's slightly less good for you, since if you double-up the way you said, people will probably want to discuss future plans with each other, and saying those things out loud can be a big handicap.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You should post about it in the Seafall thread. That was fun to watch as people slowly grew to hate the game.
Wonderful. My wife and got wrangled into a new Seafall campaign starting tomorrow.

Is it "wears out its welcome" bad, or "fake an aneurysm" bad?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
The last page had 3-4 posts that were basically 'we all just quit due to rage/boredom/imbalance', so I'd hazard it's pretty bad.

There's the one guy who has a game going pretty well and evenly, but sounds like it's pretty uncommon. Shame, too. I've been having enough fun with Pandemic Legacy and the Gloomhaven mini-campaign (if you've got tabletop simulator and are waiting for Gloomhaven to arrive like we are totally do it!) that I'd debated checking it out.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

WhiteHowler posted:

Wonderful. My wife and got wrangled into a new Seafall campaign starting tomorrow.

Bad enough I'd recommend you back out however you can. It's slow, plodding, the core game isn't very good, and the legacy parts are underwhelming.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Should I buy Hero Realms, Star Realms, or Star Realms: Colony Wars?

I like drafting games and these look simple enough for someone less experienced with the concept to pick up and learn. Just want to get the most value for my money I guess.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is is better to play 2 player pandemic legacy with two characters or double up and have two each?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
General advice is to double up.

You'll have trouble getting people to meet up places, having enough cards to cure without having to discard, and other things with only two meeples.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Roshambo posted:

I like drafting games and these look simple enough for someone less experienced with the concept to pick up and learn. Just want to get the most value for my money I guess.

Star Realms. Hero Realms is apparently even more swingy than SR, and that's saying something. Colony Wars is technically an expansion of Star Realms, it's got a bit more complicated cards in it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

Is is better to play 2 player pandemic legacy with two characters or double up and have two each?

We tried it both ways and greatly prefered playing one character each and a glass of wine to two characters each and constantly maintain mental focus on whose turn it was, which character's turn it was in whose turn, which color represented which character on whose turn it was, etc.

We found our 4-character games to be a lot more challenging, just mechanically, than 2-character as well. Though we only did 4p a few games over the whole run, so it might just be sampling error.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Roshambo posted:

Eminent Domain.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Roshambo posted:

I haven't played Star Realms, but I believe it's not been well received here. Though, I think there are some advocates for the phone app, as something mindless to do against the AI.

I'd take a look at Valley of the Kings, also a deckbuilder and in a similar price range, and just an all around well regarded game. The other goon-recommended deckbuilders are Eminent Domain, Puzzle Strike, and Dominion, though each of those are quite a bit more expensive. If you're looking for a drafting game, which is a bit different than deckbuilding, then Sushi Go Party, Between Two Cities, Seven Wonders, and Blood Rage are all solid games that run a wide spectrum of costs and intensities.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Dancer posted:

My standard recommendation for medium-light game for 2-5 is Istanbul. Almost everyone in my circles seems to at least enjoy it (and many people actively want to play). Maybe it's slightly less good for you, since if you double-up the way you said, people will probably want to discuss future plans with each other, and saying those things out loud can be a big handicap.

Istanbul seems like something that very well might catch on with our group. It doesn't seem too complex that most people wouldn't be able to pick up on the rules after one play through, and I could see it being feasible with people partnering up. Maybe we can work around the verbal issue by handing out paper and pens ahead of time to write out planning if need be.

Thanks! It has been a struggle coming up with good solutions for something that falls into the medium-light category that works for 8 people. I don't have it in me to just stop inviting some people, but most games tend to max out at the 5-6 range, so finding stuff that fits the bill has been tough.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BlueHeron posted:

If anyone's interested, earlier in the year a studio called 'Roland's Revenge' got permission from Reiner Knizia and GMT to make a special edition of Battle Line with a medieval theme, but it was limited to 100 copies and sold out in a few days.

http://rolandsrevenge.com/battle-line

They are doing another print run with improvements over the first edition, this time limited to 400 copies, which are going to go on sale soon.

From the mailing list:

I have Schotten Totten, but this is gorgeous and I signed up as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What's the goon census on terraforming Mars? Reddit seems pretty divided on the game. It looks quite a fun concept but weary of the price tag due to the Reddit split.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tai posted:

What's the goon census on terraforming Mars? Reddit seems pretty divided on the game. It looks quite a fun concept but weary of the price tag due to the Reddit split.

Makes a good first impression, but not a good lasting one. Not worth the $50-60 or so. I think most people would recommend Race for the Galaxy instead, with the standard iconography warning.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Tai posted:

Try it once or twice before you buy, see if it clicks. You may not be turned off by the randomness like many on SA are.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Makes a good first impression, but not a good lasting one. Not worth the $50-60 or so. I think most people would recommend Race for the Galaxy instead, with the standard iconography warning.

Bought that game other week. Excellent game once the icon start to be memorised.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

SilverMike posted:

Try it once or twice before you buy, see if it clicks. You may not be turned off by the randomness like many on SA are.

Sadly, there aren't any board game stores near me so everything I buy is via reviews and YouTube. I'll prob give it a miss till the price drops then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Roshambo posted:

Don't buy any of those and get Race for the Galaxy instead

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Tai posted:

Sadly, there aren't any board game stores near me so everything I buy is via reviews and YouTube. I'll prob give it a miss till the price drops then.

Early in your board gaming career, everything popular like that is going to be pretty fun. It's in the top ten on the BGG hype machine (formally known as an actual ranking system*) for a reason.

*it never was

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

If you're going to play it, game it. Laser focus on opening the boxes with less care about winning. When an unlock milestone shows up, basically force whoever is best equipped to unlock it to do so, don't attempt to hamper them. If so, you can blow through the thing in eight or so sessions and have a decent time. The novelty of the boxes is what keeps the game alive, if it takes too long to open them it really drags.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Played WsdV! with updated rules, got smacked hard as the East. Keeping up living standards is tough!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

Early in your board gaming career, everything popular like that is going to be pretty fun. It's in the top ten on the BGG hype machine (formally known as an actual ranking system*) for a reason.

*it never was

Ha yea I've noticed that the BGG ranking system is pretty whacky and use it more for a checklist of games to YouTube rather then assume it must be amazing since its #3 or something.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Had a mini game night and played two games that I'd played before but not in a long while.

Urbania: So this is a funny little game, because the mechanics are kind of "ticket to ride, but without a map and with some much more interesting decisions", while the visual design is "how could you possibly think making two slightly different shades of brown, two slightly different shades of white/gray, and two slightly different shades of pink/red is remotely a good idea". 3-player, but we've heard it's very good 2p so looking forward to trying that out. It's fast, we'd only played it 4p before and that was years ago.

Vegas Showdown: Classic, with reasonably nice looking components that are terrible to use: the lovely old style plastic poker chips for money, unmounted folding paper player boards that can never, ever lie flat, the tiniest plastic discs to mark prices. I remain extremely bad at auction games, and barely managed 2nd.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tai posted:

Ha yea I've noticed that the BGG ranking system is pretty whacky and use it more for a checklist of games to YouTube rather then assume it must be amazing since its #3 or something.

Once you've been playing different games for a while you'll probably start to figure out what you like and dislike in games. At this point you can begin to curate a collection of geekbuddies whose opinions you trust because it's the best way to discover new and interesting games on BGG. You might also find a guild or chat league that has like-minded people participating. The rankings and general forums are best ignored.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Tai posted:

Do you have Tabletop Simulator? (it's a game on Steam) I'm not really an advocate of piracy, but if the only way you can try the game is via a module there, then do it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

Played WsdV! with updated rules, got smacked hard as the East. Keeping up living standards is tough!

Nice! My first game was as the East. I feel like they have a better early game, but then the West can just hardcore out-economy the East. I really enjoyed that game. It's out of print nowadays, isn't it? I only played it on BGC.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just bought a copy off amazon.de since I'm in the Netherlands (there's only one version and it's german/english). We were both new at it (and a little inebriated) so I mostly tried to push for socialists until I figured out that hey, I'm being out-econed hardcore. The subsequent end-of-era left me barely hanging on at which point we called it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Magnetic North posted:

Cool.

Any other thread goons interested in an async game of Concordia through http://www.boiteajeux.net ? I'd like to have more than just 2.

Self quoting for one last request for if anyone wants in on this. I'm busy tomorrow so I'll create the lobby Sunday afternoon. If you are interested (and LLSix & Jedit), I will need your BAJ handles so I can invite you to the game.