Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mr Wikstroem posted:

So a ticket came in where the user can't attach files in Outlook 2016. So I remote in and have a look and what's happening is as soon as they try to open the attach file dropdown menu it closes itself and the mail window starts gaining and losing focus a few times during which you cannot open any dropdown menu at all. Starting Outlook in safe mode prevents the issue completely as long as you run Outlook in safe mode which isn't really an option. Disabling what few add-ons the user has doesn't do anything to resolve the issue.

"Well this is a weird pickle" says I but I'm sure my old friend Google has the answer to what the hell is going on and how to fix it.

A bit of googling tells me that this problem has existed since at least 2015 and that the solution is to:

1. Close Outlook.
2. Close Word & Excel if they are open
3. Open a blank document in Word.
4. Go to, File -> Account.
5. Select Sign out.
6. Select Sign in.
7. Close Word
8. Open Outlook

And this works. I have to say that it would've taken me quite some time to figure that one out on my own.

A coworker and I both have the same problem with attachments in 2016.
Performing the steps listed will only guarantee that next attachment to work, any other subsequent attachments could gently caress it up again.

What does work is not using the attachments button. If you drag the file into the email draft then you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Probably not related to the above, but I've talked to one user several times, she has issues with some specific documents in Word 2013, when one of those documents are open, choosing File > Save As will not open the file name selection dialog, simply nothing happens: No errors, nothing gets closed, nothing gets saved. Opening a new document in a new window in the same Word process can save just fine. There doesn't seem to be any macros involved. But well, not my problem (right now) since I'm on vacation.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

stevewm posted:

Recently got a phone call that due to a sulfuric acid spill, one of our brand new credit card pads was no longer functional.

That was definitely a first.

We sell sulfuric acid marketed as drain cleaner. Apparently the cap had came loose and the customer managed to pour it directly onto the credit card pad, all over the counter, and the floor. It dissolved most of the adhesive used to assemble the CC pad, stripped the paint off its stand, damaged the veneer on the counter, and ate some pits into the concrete floor.

Why do we sell this poo poo?!? And why does it have just a standard cap with no sort of safety mechanism?!

As you said it's sometimes used as a strong drain cleaner, although all the ones I've seen have the bottle also packaged inside of a sealed plastic bag so I have no idea what's going on where you're at.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They day that near-field seamless signon cards are a thing will be a day of beauty. Imagine Dr. Mc Fuckstick wandering up to a random machine, whacking his badge against the scanner, putting in a 6 digit pin and like magic, it seamlessly logs his rear end into the last VDI session he had and lets him do whatever the gently caress, and as soon as he wanders more than 3m away, it autolocks and kills his RDP/Citrix session.

The military has been using smart cards to sign in for 10 plus years.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

ConfusedUs posted:

I recently had issues with Skype 4 Business throwing weird errors. The errors actually specified Outlook, but googling revealed they were S4B errors. The errors also only occurred if S4B was open but Outlook was not.

The solution was to update Word.

Really loving weird.

I'm convinced at this point that office is really just the digital equivalent of a Rat King (link goes to wikipedia with some gross pictures :nms: :barf:)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

lampey posted:

Yeah, and I bet even today they still leave their CAC in their computer when they get up to do something else

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

lampey posted:

Yes, but the difference between 'can be used' and 'can be used by an aggressively anti-tech Luddite doctor' are two very different things. That and getting some kind of local-printer awareness, so you can print to the printer next to the cart, vs. the one you set as default 3 sites and 1000 km away.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
http://imgur.com/gallery/swezr

Yeah that looks good enough.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kurieg posted:

"Well, my work here is done" said the technician as he brushed the RAM dust from his hands

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Kurieg posted:

I was too busy staring at the cracks in the chips he didn't bother talking about to see the detached modules on the second stick. :stare:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Garrand posted:

As you said it's sometimes used as a strong drain cleaner, although all the ones I've seen have the bottle also packaged inside of a sealed plastic bag so I have no idea what's going on where you're at.

It was in a bag, but that was ripped apparently. I almost wonder if some rear end in a top hat didn't deliberately rip the bag and loosen the cap.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

stevewm posted:

We sell sulfuric acid marketed as drain cleaner. Apparently the cap had came loose and the customer managed to pour it directly onto the credit card pad, all over the counter, and the floor. It dissolved most of the adhesive used to assemble the CC pad, stripped the paint off its stand, damaged the veneer on the counter, and ate some pits into the concrete floor.
Remember that scene in The Terminator where the T-101 loads a shotgun using a box of shells on the counter and blows away the shopkeeper, just sayin'

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Nth Doctor posted:

I was too busy staring at the cracks in the chips he didn't bother talking about to see the detached modules on the second stick. :stare:

Those are ventilation cracks to let the heat out doncha know. Only idiots use heatspreaders :smug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yes, but the difference between 'can be used' and 'can be used by an aggressively anti-tech Luddite doctor' are two very different things. That and getting some kind of local-printer awareness, so you can print to the printer next to the cart, vs. the one you set as default 3 sites and 1000 km away.
We declined to, but we had the option of setting up all our printers so that you could retrieve your jobs from any given printer by waving a smart card in front of it.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

We declined to, but we had the option of setting up all our printers so that you could retrieve your jobs from any given printer by waving a smart card in front of it.

What do you mean I have to physically walk over to the printer and wait for it to print?

^ A real objection I got when arguing against lovely small printers on each desk rather than a few badass copiers spaced throughout the office.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 9, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"Then print it to a pdf and you can save your self a walk and save a tree. Sounds good!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*takes a cellphone photo of the screen showing Acrobat Reader*

*texts it to self*

*pastes it into a Word doc*

*attaches it to an email*

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
On the topic of weird phone poo poo, I figure this thread is as good as any to ask - Anyone with experience regaining usb mass storage mode on android 7.0 (nougat?) I have an older car mp3 player which doesn't work with MTP, also I loving hate how windows just assumes every folder should be optimized for music when browsing an mtp device in file explorer.

I know I'll probably have to root my phone. I just wanna be able to use synctoy and other stuff because I'm an old and don't wanna change to a different program when I have one that otherwise works fine.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I am not larches or one of the good ol' regulars but I think I probably posted about my last job. It was a small shop, me (sysadmin) and helpdesk dude (who constantly fell asleep and was bad at IT). They fired helpdesk dude due to my constant complaining, and my overwillingness to cover helpdesk led them to just not hire a replacement. Cue me bailing to my current absolute kickass job working at a major NYC radio station which came with a vertical title move and a big chunk more dollars.

This job is great, my boss is amazing, the workload is reasonable, etc. Only issue... helpdesk guy isn't the greatest at showing up on time. He's been basically consistently late and unreliable in attendance for a good long time to the point of it being an open secret, but here he still was after five years.

The shoe dropped earlier this week and he was terminated, pending a re-hire.

I trust the hell out of my boss that the hiring process will start as soon as he's done with a radio-related project, and if the fit hits the shan, I'm in the VCP6 upgrade class right now and upgraded my MCSA to 2016, but it still doesn't feel good when you have to go from "I'll occasionally do a desktop support ticket, but I can delegate any non-critical helpdesk stuff to when Joe arrives" to "Okay, let's try again with a new password, and remember to hold down the shift key" :ohdear:

Still doesn't help when you get a pretty bad and spontaneous pseudo-flashback to when things were bad. I'm hopeful that once the radio project wraps up early next week I can sit down with the boss and offer to take on some of the hiring in order to expedite the process. I always kinda wanted to be on the other side of the desk. Plus this is the first time there's been someone between my boss and the helpdesk guy so I could maybe ease in some management and mentoring skills. After a douchebag sysadmin basically stymied my career a while ago by not giving me the chance to learn on the job, and after seeing a few pages ago how grateful everyone was for a boss that helped them grow, I'd love to be someone that contributes rather than detriments.

Anyway, wish me luck, thread. The next few weeks/months are gonna be a bit trying.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cory in the Blouse posted:

On the topic of weird phone poo poo, I figure this thread is as good as any to ask - Anyone with experience regaining usb mass storage mode on android 7.0 (nougat?) I have an older car mp3 player which doesn't work with MTP, also I loving hate how windows just assumes every folder should be optimized for music when browsing an mtp device in file explorer.

I know I'll probably have to root my phone. I just wanna be able to use synctoy and other stuff because I'm an old and don't wanna change to a different program when I have one that otherwise works fine.

You can't do this unless your phone has an SD card slot, and even then you'd only be able to put the SD card into USB mass storage mode.

And doing this would likely mean replacing your entire phone OS with a custom distribution like LineageOS, as an app even with root usually can't allow this to happen.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A ticket came in: A user is missing files in a directory!!!!! Other users can see the files but they can't!!!! Fix this ASAP!!!!

Solution: User was in the wrong directory :downs:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pr0digal posted:

A ticket came in: A user is missing files in a directory!!!!! Other users can see the files but they can't!!!! Fix this ASAP!!!!

Solution: User was in the wrong directory :downs:

This reminds of one of my old favorites:

Ticket: File/Folder is missing!! Important data gone!! Need backups restored immediately!!

Solution: Moved file back into correct folder.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Fool posted:

This reminds of one of my old favorites:

Ticket: File/Folder is missing!! Important data gone!! Need backups restored immediately!!

Solution: Moved file back into correct folder.

This is best when a folder is used by multiple departments and the 2 departments argue back and forth over the best location to put a folder is. (a shortcut to the real one is the answer, of course they will complain about having a shortcut so you just move it someplace else and give them both shortcuts).

Before my solution the departments had apparently been moving this folder for months daily in an argument, I found out when trying to locate it for someone new. Someone turned around and said oh other department must have moved it again I'll move it back!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pixaal posted:

This is best when a folder is used by multiple departments and the 2 departments argue back and forth over the best location to put a folder is. (a shortcut to the real one is the answer, of course they will complain about having a shortcut so you just move it someplace else and give them both shortcuts).

Before my solution the departments had apparently been moving this folder for months daily in an argument, I found out when trying to locate it for someone new. Someone turned around and said oh other department must have moved it again I'll move it back!

Put a Deny Delete ACL on the folder. Now nobody can move it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Delete the folder and watch the staplers fly

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Put it in a new folder called Digital Switzerland or something like that, with shortcuts in both of their folders. Some sort of name that tells them to stop being childish without getting your in trouble.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Shortcuts don't alphabetize themselves among folders. Both groups will assume the folder's been deleted anyway because nobody can be bothered to scroll down.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The shortcut method worked for me, it's stayed that way for a few months now. It's in a folder cross Cross Department Projects because it fit well enough. I just wish people wouldn't be literal children.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
A ticket came in: out of storage space
Look at the specs we have for the machine, 1 TB HDD and they're using nothing but QuickBooks and excel on it, how could it be out of space? Last ticket they had with us was they wanted to install an SSD in this machine but didn't like our quote so they didn't do it.

Turns out they bought a 128gb SSD from who knows where and had someone's teenager install it. Maybe we quoted you guys a more expensive drive because you... needed it?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
One folder, shortcuts to each group.

One group gets read permissions, the other write.

Folder name: Solomon Solution

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

uPen posted:

A ticket came in: out of storage space
Look at the specs we have for the machine, 1 TB HDD and they're using nothing but QuickBooks and excel on it, how could it be out of space? Last ticket they had with us was they wanted to install an SSD in this machine but didn't like our quote so they didn't do it.

Turns out they bought a 128gb SSD from who knows where and had someone's teenager install it. Maybe we quoted you guys a more expensive drive because you... needed it?

My boss does that kind of thing now. Get a desktop or laptop from manufacturer with a 500 GB drive, install a 128GB SSD say its better then ship off the PC

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 9, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dell/HP charge such a dumb amount for an SSD, I'd be in favour of buying the machine, tossing the HDD into the bin (into my NAS) and fitting an SSD if I didn't need to rely on warranties.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Ants posted:

Dell/HP charge such a dumb amount for an SSD, I'd be in favour of buying the machine, tossing the HDD into the bin (into my NAS) and fitting an SSD if I didn't need to rely on warranties.

We've done this for years now and have never had a warranty issue with them. We keep one default dell drive for each type of system, if we have to call them out, swap in the drive and go for desktops/laptops.

They've never said boo about servers having other drives.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A support case came in:

quote:

I was messing around on an EC2 instance and I terminated an EBS volume and all of my data is gone. Please recover it.

:) Hello, this is Agrikk. Because you are a part of <special enterprise customer spending millions of money a month with us>, this case was escalated to me as your TAM so I'm checking in with you.
:argh: Recover my data!
:) Unfortunately, AWS does not have access to end user data and as part of the shared responsibility model <we outline for you time and time again>, customers are responsible for preserving their own data.
:argh: Bullshit! I know you can restore this data. Do it!
:) Again, that is not possible. Imagine the implications of us being able to restore your data at will. Imagine if we were able to restore <data from special super secret project> at will.
:argh: That would be kind of scary. But this isn't secret data. It's my data! Restore it now NoW NOW!
:) We cannot.

Bleh.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

nooooooooo undelete! I love your stories!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Agrikk posted:

A support case came in:

:) Hello, this is Agrikk. Because you are a part of <special enterprise customer spending millions of money a month with us>, this case was escalated to me as your TAM so I'm checking in with you.
:argh: Recover my data!
:) Unfortunately, AWS does not have access to end user data and as part of the shared responsibility model <we outline for you time and time again>, customers are responsible for preserving their own data.
:argh: Bullshit! I know you can restore this data. Do it!
:) Again, that is not possible. Imagine the implications of us being able to restore your data at will. Imagine if we were able to restore <data from special super secret project> at will.
:argh: That would be kind of scary. But this isn't secret data. It's my data! Restore it now NoW NOW!
:) We cannot.

Bleh.

I secretly hope you're my company's TAM.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

nooooooooo undelete! I love your stories!

He was just doubleposting.

Content:

It's Friday afternoon at the end of a board meeting week. The only tickets I've received are housekeeping stuff, my co-worker is on vacation, my boss is traveling for a conference and I'm going to leave early.

Next week I intend to turn on MFA for a test group.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm trying to read in to inter-virtual machine page sharing on ESXi. Some of the documentation says it works by default while some says it doesn't. Anyone able to clarify that for me?

e: I found the answer right after I posted this. You need to set mem.shareforcesalting to 1 and then set sched.mem.pshare.salt to the same value among the VMs you which to have TPS work between.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Shortcuts don't alphabetize themselves among folders. Both groups will assume the folder's been deleted anyway because nobody can be bothered to scroll down.

Comedy / :unsmigghh: Option: setup a Powershell script to run constantly on the file server, and every five minutes it moves the folder to a random directory and leaves random shortcuts around named for the folder that may or may not point to the right directory. Now it's an episode of Legends of the Hidden Temple. "You could start by going into the Accounting Archives. Push in the right shortcut, and it might lead you down and into the Recycling Bin of Saved Emails. Here, you must choose your next path. You could go back, and then race up into the forbidden realm of the Production environment, or maybe try exploring the Dirs of the HR Announcements. The choices are yours and yours alone. Good luck."

• Locked thread