Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

well why not posted:

He pauses an entire museum and carries on a conversation in X2. It's not a huge stretch to think he could do some serious damage if he had a stroke or heart attack that caused his powers to go crazy. Even moreso if he was plugged into Cerebro when it happened.

So exactly what I said then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I think they mean the climax of the film,, which is predicated on 'if he concentrates on someone's mind hard enough, he can kill them'. Cerebro allowed him to do it to the whole planet when he was being manipulated by Strykers son, I don't doubt that unplugged he could take out a city block.

Good point - I had forgot about that scene (not sure how). I was just thinking more of the suffocation angle. In X2 with Cerebro, even though Xavier was being manipulated he was coherent and struck out in a psychic attack which would leave them brain dead as they are seen screaming in agony and not frozen. Suffocating is a horrible new angle.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally saw this. loving phenomenal, the violence really had weight and people got absolutely hosed with. For what I think in any other movie would have been written off as dumb schlock they presented it in a pretty grounded fashion, having some real weight to poo poo like Clone Logan being this terrifying nightmare really made for a fantastic film.

Sadly this is going to be one of those once in a decade movies, sigh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
How's the black and white version? I grabbed it the other day and haven't watched it yet.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

Finally saw this. loving phenomenal, the violence really had weight and people got absolutely hosed with. For what I think in any other movie would have been written off as dumb schlock they presented it in a pretty grounded fashion, having some real weight to poo poo like Clone Logan being this terrifying nightmare really made for a fantastic film.

Sadly this is going to be one of those once in a decade movies, sigh.

lol the violence was very bland and the 'grounded' nature just high-lighted the lack of imagination. Even other forgettable comic book movies like Road to Perdition are better.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Every thread needs a Tezzor

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm rewatching it now and Laura pulls the ultimate Moe.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

Absolutely. A bad child actor can ruin a movie like this, but a good one can elevate it. And she was better than good.

It seems like the average talent of child actors has gone up a fair bit since the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Makes you wonder what changes/improvements have been made to the process of coaching them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol the violence was very bland...

I believe you meant to say, 'I found the violence to be bland' - making objective statements on subjective subjects is rather poor form for general critique.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Samovar posted:

I believe you meant to say, 'I found the violence to be bland' - making objective statements on subjective subjects is rather poor form for general critique.

I believe you mean to say "Personally, for me, I find objective statements on subjective subjects to be in poor form for general critique, imho." Not everybody needs or wants constant reminders that obvious statements of opinion are statements of opinion.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samovar posted:

Cool, we'll give him a B- on his book report. How dare he write this filth in a published journalistic establishment like the Discussion section of the Something Awful web forum.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 3, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Samovar posted:

Stuff like "I found," "In my opinion," "Personally, I think" are actually bad writing and insecure criticism.

e: And why are you making an objective statement, instead of writing how you find that to be in poor form? Isn't that exactly what you're criticising?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 3, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Crappy Jack posted:

Cool, we'll give him a B- on his book report. How dare he write this filth in a published journalistic establishment like the Discussion section of the Something Awful web forum.

Profs will actually take marks off for writing like that; they already know it's your opinion, you don't have to remind them constantly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hodgepodge posted:

Profs will actually take marks off for writing like that; they already know it's your opinion, you don't have to remind them constantly.

Yeah, I remember getting dinged for that a few times.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I suppose I should be blunt - I am interested in hearing why the violence in Logan is 'bland'.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

lol the violence was very bland and the 'grounded' nature just high-lighted the lack of imagination. Even other forgettable comic book movies like Road to Perdition are better.

For some parts, the affect is initially intense. Upon going back and watching the film again, though some of this had to do with watching the film on a smaller monitor, many of the parts were no longer as intense for me, quite banal in fact relative to the typical action scene.

I think the hotel or anything involving the seizures still had me feeling shortness of breath, and I think those scenes still maintained some notion of shock. I think the scene with the family holds up well. The film peaks at the farm, and the scenes with the Reavers at the beginning and end of the film I think highlight what you're trying to say. Though I think the film comes off as inconsistent to me and not solely lacking imagination.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Stuff like "I found," "In my opinion," "Personally, I think" are actually bad writing and insecure criticism.

e: And why are you making an objective statement, instead of writing how you find that to be in poor form? Isn't that exactly what you're criticising?

So is opening your brilliant insight with Internet acronyms. Pure affect, insecurity, bullshit. You're garbage.

Personally, I don't really mind stuff like "I think" (although it does obviously slow the reader down and make the text every-so-slightly harder to read) because most actually intelligent people aren't exactly dogmatic about their opinions on media. It's also, it seems to me, a pretty reasonable move in a discussion forum (which is very much not, you know, an academic paper or political speech) where the point is to stimulate discussion. But where would we be without insecure overeducated dudes waving their dicks about children's entertainment?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Corrosion posted:

For some parts, the affect is initially intense. Upon going back and watching the film again, though some of this had to do with watching the film on a smaller monitor, many of the parts were no longer as intense for me, quite banal in fact relative to the typical action scene.

I think the hotel or anything involving the seizures still had me feeling shortness of breath, and I think those scenes still maintained some notion of shock. I think the scene with the family holds up well. The film peaks at the farm, and the scenes with the Reavers at the beginning and end of the film I think highlight what you're trying to say. Though I think the film comes off as inconsistent to me and not solely lacking imagination.

The first showdown with the Reavers was decent because it felt like an action movie, but a finale in an evenly lit deciduous forest was really underwhelming.

porfiria posted:

So is opening your brilliant insight with Internet acronyms. Pure affect, insecurity, bullshit. You're garbage.

Personally, I don't really mind stuff like "I think" (although it does obviously slow the reader down and make the text every-so-slightly harder to read) because most actually intelligent people aren't exactly dogmatic about their opinions on media. It's also, it seems to me, a pretty reasonable move in a discussion forum (which is very much not, you know, an academic paper or political speech) where the point is to stimulate discussion. But where would we be without insecure overeducated dudes waving their dicks about children's entertainment?

lmao You're mad that someone wrote 'lol'.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

lmao You're mad that someone wrote 'lol'.

I'll say this in your defense: at least you've stopped posting Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy shots.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Lol

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lmao itt

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lol is barbaric I prefer the more sophisticated and cosmopolitan "kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekeke" or alternatively "jajajajjajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja".

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Kek and ja are cultural appropriation.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Weird that the guy with pages of posts dedicated to kid's cartoons thinks Logan was childish

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I still think logan looks just like mel gibson for the first half of the movie.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It seems like the average talent of child actors has gone up a fair bit since the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Makes you wonder what changes/improvements have been made to the process of coaching them.

Well, the general ban on wire hangers really went a long way.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Personally I got bored with the action after the thirtieth stabbing. The only good part was the failed wire fence breach. The first clone reveal was alright as well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Got around to seeing the movie as someone who doesn't read comic books or keep up on every single bad comic book movie I very much enjoyed the grounded self contained story that was largely from Logan's point of view, I also enjoyed the thread making GBS threads on the comic book nerds who thought the movie would be vastly improved if they removed the iconic scenes to make time for flashbacks.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the nice family was going to die but I feel like they helped lessen the feeling like it was completely the main characters fault they died because of the rear end in a top hat sheriff and his gang who were going to murder the family, or at least the husband, even if Logan never showed up and then some nice catharsis with the rear end in a top hat gang being ripped apart because of mistaken identify.

So, great story, great acting, great depressingly accurate senile old man by Stewart, great comic book movie that doesn't require reading the last decade of comic books and no world ending sky-holes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The first showdown with the Reavers was decent because it felt like an action movie, but a finale in an evenly lit deciduous forest was really underwhelming.

...there were only two action set pieces in this movie?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

porfiria posted:

Kek and ja are cultural appropriation.

"kekeke" is appropriative, "kek" is a World of Warcraft reference that started as a nod to the Korean gamers the former was appropriated from before taking on a life of its own

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don't think any recent comic book movie requires any knowledge of comic books. That's kind of their goal, usually.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It probably helped your first impression of Deadpool the movie if you knew some Deadpool going in.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I had no idea who he was and the movie was enjoyable

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Donnerberg posted:

It probably helped your first impression of Deadpool the movie if you knew some Deadpool going in.
All you needed to know was that he was a wise-cracking mercenary. Any more and it became an exercise in spotting which chimichanga Cable Weapon X Easter egg made it in.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Donnerberg posted:

Not a comic book guy, so when I saw deadpool I thought it was the kind of movie I would have really liked as a teenager

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one except grognards knew who deadpool was before the movie and people enjoyed it a lot because it's basically just Ryan Reynolds finally getting to be funny on screen while brutally murdering people

Like what part of deadpools backstory did we possibly need other than what we got in the movie?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Very good movie. Awesome to see Charles dropping f-bombs and being a grumpy old dude. Sure, the fights scenes were not that creative, but it's Wolverine, he is an animal and just likes to slash poo poo up, so I forgive that.

The only dumb poo poo was at the end when he was fighting his clone who ultimately killed him. He has like 12 mutant kids just standing there watching, when earlier they were killing dudes with their powers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

henpod posted:

Very good movie. Awesome to see Charles dropping f-bombs and being a grumpy old dude. Sure, the fights scenes were not that creative, but it's Wolverine, he is an animal and just likes to slash poo poo up, so I forgive that.

The only dumb poo poo was at the end when he was fighting his clone who ultimately killed him. He has like 12 mutant kids just standing there watching, when earlier they were killing dudes with their powers.

Getting "creative" is what caused the problems with the fight scenes in Origins and The Wolverine, too much flipping around and flying through the air. This was perfect, he felt like he was actually trying to kill these guys quickly and efficiently.

As for the end, he and the kids simply were not going to be able to beat the clone, at least not by using their normal powers. Nobody but Laura was really thinking about the bullet at that moment, and the other kids didn't even know about it. So Logan wants them to use whatever time he can waste distracting the clone to try to cross the border. Of course, whether or not a deranged clone would even give a poo poo if they crossed the border is another matter, I imagine it would take a lot of Mounties to take him down. But still, that was what Logan was thinking there, that for them to stay and try to fight would be a death sentence.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Also, the kids were killing dudes who couldn't immediately regenerate, and then stab them in the face. Only Logan and Laura could even get close to X24 without instantly dying horribly. Only one of the kids seemed to have long enough range on his powers, and he had been shot and already exerted himself to flip the APC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Getting "creative" is what caused the problems with the fight scenes in Origins and The Wolverine, too much flipping around and flying through the air. This was perfect, he felt like he was actually trying to kill these guys quickly and efficiently.

As for the end, he and the kids simply were not going to be able to beat the clone, at least not by using their normal powers. Nobody but Laura was really thinking about the bullet at that moment, and the other kids didn't even know about it. So Logan wants them to use whatever time he can waste distracting the clone to try to cross the border. Of course, whether or not a deranged clone would even give a poo poo if they crossed the border is another matter, I imagine it would take a lot of Mounties to take him down. But still, that was what Logan was thinking there, that for them to stay and try to fight would be a death sentence.

Also that the clone isn't really a big picture dude. Richard Grant is the only guy who can control him, and he only goes after Logan because he's told Logan killed Grant. There's a good chance that if Logan can hold him off long enough, the clone will just forget about everyone else after killing him and just revert to being completely feral.

I do like the idea of some hikers stumbling across the feral clone a few years later.

• Locked thread