Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Warbird posted:

Guess whose sister-in-law is moving to California and very likely can't bring along their beloved husky, Fuckface?

Also, guess who is very likely going to end up owning that loving dog?

Are you sure you want to do this to yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any advice on edible chews that won't do horrible things to my dog's insides/teeth/whatever?

Do such things exist?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Any tips on training my 11 year old basset not to bark at other dogs on leashes on walks?

I guess I should've tried 6 years ago when I adopted her, but here I am. It's embarrassing, she really just wants to say hi but she has an obnoxious bark. It's especially a problem now because we're watching my sisters corgi mutt, and when the corgi starts barking like the basset, the terrier (20lb) tries to start a fight with the corgi (40lb) and gets her rear end beat down. So I'm standing there with a 60 lb basset barking wildly while trying to pull the corgi off the terrier. Trying to walk three dogs that aren't well behaved is a pain in the rear end.

I assume I just shove some food in her face when she starts barking until the other dog passes?

She only barks at other dogs on leashes while we're on a walk, dogs behind fences are fine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Are you sure you want to do this to yourself?

You've never met Mrs. Burd. Thankfully she actually shares a zip code with me now, so FF would be her problem as well.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

thylacine posted:

I assume I just shove some food in her face when she starts barking until the other dog passes?

I would do it before she starts barking, so start treating as soon as other dogs come into sight. Lots of praise/high value treats for really good behaviour as always. Hopefully won't take long to sort her out. (we had a similar situation with our dog being grumpy about other dogs and the open bar method has worked on her because she's hellishly food motivated.)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone a petsmart petperks member? I have a coupon/barcode for $7 that needs to be used by today, in case you needed to pick something up

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Any advice on edible chews that won't do horrible things to my dog's insides/teeth/whatever?

Do such things exist?

I like benebones. If your dog is okay with something softer, bully sticks/pizzles are good and tasty and stinky but my dog will eat a footlong one in 3 minutes so they're not worth it.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Is there a concensus on the best flea/tick prevention and heartworm treatments? Mine are on revolution and heartguard from the vet but im wondering if there is something better I should be looking at for my pups.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

The Spookmaster posted:

Is there a concensus on the best flea/tick prevention and heartworm treatments? Mine are on revolution and heartguard from the vet but im wondering if there is something better I should be looking at for my pups.

If it's working then don't mess with it IMO. The ticks are bad here and we go hiking and to other outdoorsy places a lot, so my dog has a Seresto collar and gets oral Simparica and applied Frontline Plus for flea/tick control (and Revolution for heartworm/more flea control). I still find the errant dead tick on him but for the most part the combination has seemed to help significantly. Alone none of them worked very well for ticks. I haven't seen any fleas but the season is young.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

The Spookmaster posted:

Seconding "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Fleas can have different responses to different medications depending on your area. For instance, my dog used to be on Frontline but she still had bad fleas (beyond stray fleas from bedding and whatnot). I switched her to Activyl this month and holy poo poo it is amazing. It eradicated every flea on her body in 12 hours and she doesn't have a single flea* on her anymore weeks later.

*I actually came here to ask a flea question as well. Her body is flea-free, but they seem to have taken a liking to her head. I see them occasionally and it's causing her to scratch her head, and it's leaving visible marks on the poor pup's snout from scratching. Is there anything I can do to spot-treat? I've read the mint castile soap can keep fleas away (and I use that stuff religiously around the house anyway so I have some), but she's squirmy as hell and I don't want to get it in her eyes. Also, her skin seems to be sensitive to flea bites, so she's still an itchy pup. Is there anything I can put on her to help ease that?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you try good old fashioned flea shampoo? Frontline stopped working on mine, so I tried bob Martin tablets and then they stopped working. Flea shampoo worked, I'm assuming that it's because everyone switched to the new modern flea treatments and they lost their resistance to it. It's also not going to hurt your dog if it gets in her eyes.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've been using Trifexus for years. It's an all in one tablet for fleas/heartworms.

My vet stopped carrying it though. They had a sign up about "compliance issues" or something like that--is there something about Trifexus I should know about? It's never caused me a problem.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just noticed a red bump on my dog's underside. I think it's most likely a spider bite but I wanted a second opinion. It doesn't seem to be bothering him. If it hasn't begun to look better by tomorrow morning he'll be going to the vet. Warning: dog penis

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Could someone please remind me all the reasons why keeping two pups from a litter is a Bad Idea, I'm usually the first to shriek "LITTERMATE SYNDROME" but actually having puppies on the ground is making me dumb

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How can I train my puppy not to bite?

He's a 6 month old Australian Shepard. He's housebroken, sits, lies down, crate trained and walks without his leash just fine. The only remaining issue is when he gets excited, which is, well most of the time, he likes to play bite. I can't seem to break him of it. I don't want to resort to beating his rear end, but that worked for my parents dogs growing up so should I just smack him and say bad boy?

I've tried shoving my arm in his mouth and making in uncomfortable, telling him bad dog, and ignoring him. None of them work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Water bottle stream spray?

Also how much exercise is this little dude getting exactly

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He's a 6 month old Australian Shepard. He's housebroken, sits, lies down, crate trained and walks without his leash just fine. The only remaining issue is when he gets excited, which is, well most of the time, he likes to play bite. I can't seem to break him of it. I don't want to resort to beating his rear end, but that worked for my parents dogs growing up so should I just smack him and say bad boy?

I've tried shoving my arm in his mouth and making in uncomfortable, telling him bad dog, and ignoring him. None of them work.

Don't beat your dog like a jerk. Every time he bites either immediately leave him alone or immediately get a bitey toy to play with him with. Just do it every time. It might take a while but eventually he'll clue in. Might take a month or two to stop.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Water bottle stream spray?

Also how much exercise is this little dude getting exactly

I about a mile with him three times a week. Walk him around the block every morning, then about an hour or two inside before I go to work and he goes in the crate, I let him outside right before I leave. Eight hours in the crate, another walk around the block with a few potty trips as needed as the evening goes on. I take him to the dog park once a week too. He sleeps with me not in the crate and only gets crated when I'm gone.

Tsyni posted:

Don't beat your dog like a jerk. Every time he bites either immediately leave him alone or immediately get a bitey toy to play with him with. Just do it every time. It might take a while but eventually he'll clue in. Might take a month or two to stop.

drat, I hope it's not that long. What's a bitey toy? He has a tennis ball and a rope.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I about a mile with him three times a week. Walk him around the block every morning, then about an hour or two inside before I go to work and he goes in the crate, I let him outside right before I leave. Eight hours in the crate, another walk around the block with a few potty trips as needed as the evening goes on. I take him to the dog park once a week too. He sleeps with me not in the crate and only gets crated when I'm gone.

drat, I hope it's not that long. What's a bitey toy? He has a tennis ball and a rope.

I know he's around 6 months, but are all of his adult teeth fully in? My puppy didn't stop with the nipping until his adult teeth were completely done coming in. Even now at a year old he'll still occasionally give me a controlled chomp when we're playing and he gets over-excited. Definitely make it known that it's not ok and stop playing the second he does it. He'll get it eventually. It's better to spend a month or two nipping it in the bud now while he's still young than deal with an adult dog that has it ingrained as a habit. By the way, does he ever play with other dogs, particularly other puppies? Most puppies naturally learn bite inhibition from biting each other during play and realizing that it hurts.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Super Grocery Kart posted:

I know he's around 6 months, but are all of his adult teeth fully in? My puppy didn't stop with the nipping until his adult teeth were completely done coming in. Even now at a year old he'll still occasionally give me a controlled chomp when we're playing and he gets over-excited. Definitely make it known that it's not ok and stop playing the second he does it. He'll get it eventually. It's better to spend a month or two nipping it in the bud now while he's still young than deal with an adult dog that has it ingrained as a habit. By the way, does he ever play with other dogs, particularly other puppies? Most puppies naturally learn bite inhibition from biting each other during play and realizing that it hurts.

I got him at 8 weeks, after that he didn't have anyone to really play with until last month. Now he plays with a 2 year old lab next door sometimes and whatever is at the dog park.

I've also been taking him everywhere since he was a puppy so he's really good with strangers and other animals.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Well, it might be less time, I'm just saying you need to be prepared to be consistent for a long period of time with some dogs. A bitey toy is just any toy he'd bite. I used a rope and a nylon bone with my GSD when she was super nippy. It's what I did after asking this thread for advice. She was around 8 months at the time.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The weather here has been gross lately so we haven't been able to go to the dog park in a while. My dog has been trying to convince the cat to play with her. She's been getting in his face a doing the puppy butt wiggle. She brought him her favorite toy and set it down next to him pushed it over to him with her nose. It's adorable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just had to google littermate syndrome because it's not a thing in the UK at all.

"Many dog behavior experts agree it's a bad idea to bring home a pair of puppies from the same litter. “Littermate syndrome” is based on anecdotal evidence that often two siblings adopted together bond intensely with each other, to the exclusion of their human family."

What a load of old cobblers. The risk of that happening is absolutely tiny and it sometimes happens with non-related dogs as well. You get littermates because they are bonded, the risk of having a older dog/puppy resent or reject a younger puppy is very real. Looks very much to me like people want to have a "thing" that gets them clients and helps them sell books, or two sets of separate training sessions.

E: just pick two puppies that are playing happily with their littermates and don't get the one which looks sad and pathetic in the corner because you feel sorry for it, and that goes for choosing one pup as well. Someone else will feel sorry for it as well, potentially clingy dog is their problem.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 5, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes it's fun to have dogs that become an anxious wreck when their siblings are not around.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yes it's fun to have dogs that become an anxious wreck when their siblings are not around.

some dogs do that and they arent even siblings. Hell if one of the 4 need to go to the vet or something the other 3 go loving nuts until their friend comes back :shrug:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

sneakyfrog posted:

some dogs do that and they arent even siblings. Hell if one of the 4 need to go to the vet or something the other 3 go loving nuts until their friend comes back :shrug:

Mine go nuts when I leave with one of them not because they miss them, but because the only explanation is that Pop is clearly taking the other one someplace AWESOME and they aren't going.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We are looking to add an additional pup to our household. Currently we have a pretty chill 3 year old border collie mix who is pretty much our speed. How bad of an idea is it for us to consider adopting a puppy from a nearby shelter when they have 0 clue on breed or mix?
He is currently 6 weeks and will be up for adoption once he hits 8 weeks. Photo of puppy in question below:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Basset is super terrified of cats, my cat now is comfortable enough to just lay on the floor and chill. When she does this my hound will not go anywhere within eyesight.

What can I do other than getting rid of the Cat?

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

My dogs merely tolerate each other and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bananaquiter fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 7, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That puppy is identical to our short haired farm dog border collie when she was a pup :D it's the slightly wide head and eyes a bit far apart that makes me think you have a daisy. She's 3/4 collie and 1/4 staffy. Personally I wouldn't get a breed that can suffer from bad hips from a shelter. If it's about a saving an animal thing then go for it, but I would start a savings account for her later years just in case, if you don't use it then you can donate that money to the shelter in her name when she's gone. :)

I think I've found Mr LC a new gun dog for our anniversary :dance: he does not know this yet. The Mr has been searching for so long his gun dog got old and died a year ago. It's a Liver and white springer spanial boy, dull story short he's from the best of the best and only available because he has a small hernia. Vet is not worried and says it may close up on it's own and even if it does not it might not need fixing. It's getting fixed.

The important part of this story is that he has a thumbs up sign on his coat. I want to call him mittens but I suspect that will be vetoed on the grounds of "I'm not shouting out chuffing "mittens" while I'm flushing"

Name suggestions welcome, because I can't think of anything dignified enough.

Warm Fish Salad
Dec 16, 2016

You Compleat Me

Arrgytehpirate posted:

DON'T HIT HIM. DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT.

I have an Aussie, He is a wonderful, smart, hilarious goofball and I wouldn't trade him for the world, And he was a bitey little poo poo as a puppy.

Ignore him when he bites. If you have to, get up and completely exit the room for a few seconds. Teach him that when he bites, all of the fun things stop. Hitting him will just make him afraid of you, and it won't teach him not to play bite, just that you're a scary person who hits him sometimes.

If you need to consult a professional trainer, that certainly couldn't hurt, but a LOT of Aussie pups are bitey. How old is he?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

learnincurve posted:

The important part of this story is that he has a thumbs up sign on his coat. I want to call him mittens but I suspect that will be vetoed on the grounds of "I'm not shouting out chuffing "mittens" while I'm flushing"

Name suggestions welcome, because I can't think of anything dignified enough.

Would Mitt be a reasonable compromise?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Hitch, as in hitchhiker :3: :iamafag:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

:thumbsup:

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been lurking this thread for years and finally, a week ago, took the plunge on this little cutie.

I've named her Penny, and she is the smartest, sweetest, and occasionally most obnoxious pup I've ever encountered. She's doing fantastic, and the tips I've absorbed over the years in this thread have been a huge help. Thanks, y'all.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is Duke and he's probably going to give Penny a run for her money in the obnoxiousness stakes :D. He's the alpha in that pack of puppies no question, absolute pick of the litter and it it wasn't for the hernia he would have been the first to go. I'll get that done when I have his bollocks seen to. (With his pedegree people would want him intact for breeding, but you don't breed from pups that have had hernias) We pick him up Wednesday. (Yay)

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
While we're sharing puppy pix here is my dog's litter I was talking about

And two hairy cuties (I'm keeping the black/tan/white!)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Wanna rassle this pupper

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'll share a hound frozen in terror on steps leading to the house after I dump this cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Pussy Doodles! posted:

DON'T HIT HIM. DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT.

I have an Aussie, He is a wonderful, smart, hilarious goofball and I wouldn't trade him for the world, And he was a bitey little poo poo as a puppy.

Ignore him when he bites. If you have to, get up and completely exit the room for a few seconds. Teach him that when he bites, all of the fun things stop. Hitting him will just make him afraid of you, and it won't teach him not to play bite, just that you're a scary person who hits him sometimes.

If you need to consult a professional trainer, that certainly couldn't hurt, but a LOT of Aussie pups are bitey. How old is he?

He's a little over 6 months. He only does it when he gets too excited or really really wants to play. Like, when he gets out of his crate, when we've been playing awhile and it reaches maximum hype for him or when everyone is ignoring him and he's decided it's play time.

I've been ignoring him and he really doesn't like it so hopefully there will be less biting soon.