Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
1070s are selling for basically that price. Are they so blind that they're ignoring the improved performance of a 1070 just because someone recommended a 1060 once? There's no reason to get a 1060 over a 1070 when they're the same price, 1070 uses less power per flop and makes more flops.

Edit: I think you're mistaken. I had a stock of 1060s I thought I could flip into 1070s for a minute. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=gtx%201060&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

I find this kinda surprising, unless it's coming at the behest of AMD. AMD jacking up the price and doing a rebate deal makes perfect sense, for reasons already discussed, but NewEgg gains nothing out of limiting sales. In fact, they lose out on potential profits, unless they think that by limiting the sales they can retain stock longer and continue to let prices increase and gain more profits that way. And if it is at the behest of AMD, you'd think other major retailers would also follow suit. Odd.

Newegg can't keep 580s in stock even with limit 1. Microcenter is hardcore devoted to maintaining retail presence (most of their deals aren't available online) and miners loving off works fine for them. If miners buy them out anyway, then Microcenter takes a huge cut of the profits.

They do the same thing with (eg) Raspberry Pi Zero W units and similar so that people don't just buy their whole stock out and resell. First one's $10, #2-5 are $15, after that they're $20 a pop. Gradient used to be even steeper actually.

If you live/work nearby it's still a hell of a deal though since you can stop in every day.

Still though, I do wonder what if anything AMD's response is going to be. Hell, I doubt NVIDIA is that pleased with it either, their stock may be getting a bit thin here soon too. And same problem, if they ramp production they have the same risk of getting stuck with shitloads of leftover stock and a glut of used cards as they're preparing to launch Volta.

Just think of the wave of graphics cards that's gonna hit when those warehouse-sized farms come down (or upgrade). Any bets on what percentage of Vega launch cards end up in cryptominer farms? :unsmigghh:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 10, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm ready for some $525 1080tis

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrDork posted:

I find this kinda surprising, unless it's coming at the behest of AMD. AMD jacking up the price and doing a rebate deal makes perfect sense, for reasons already discussed, but NewEgg gains nothing out of limiting sales. In fact, they lose out on potential profits, unless they think that by limiting the sales they can retain stock longer and continue to let prices increase and gain more profits that way. And if it is at the behest of AMD, you'd think other major retailers would also follow suit. Odd.

Customer loyalty, you don't want to have your customers getting in the habit of buying elsewhere because you don't have what they are looking for, especially since when people build a PC a lot of them just buy from one place to minimize shipping costs and because shopping around is a pain in the rear end.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thanks Bitcoin ?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Customer loyalty, you don't want to have your customers getting in the habit of buying elsewhere because you don't have what they are looking for, especially since when people build a PC a lot of them just buy from one place to minimize shipping costs and because shopping around is a pain in the rear end.

Yep, I'm a walking loving billboard for Microcenter because I love talking tech stuff. Being able to drive to a computer store and buy what you need and put the PC together right then at non-extortionary prices is p. amazing.

Not everything is priced as good as the CPUs, you can maybe find a little cheaper on Newegg, but not much, just $5 or $10 here or there. And oh with only $100 more I could walk out with a finished machine, and I need another power strip too, mine is 3 years old... (pro tip though guys replace your power strips every couple years or they stop arresting surges very well)

loss leaders work

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 10, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yep, I'm a walking loving billboard for Microcenter because I love talking tech stuff. Being able to drive to a computer store and buy what you need and put the PC together right then at non-extortionary prices is p. amazing.

I'm just happy that someone at their corporate offices had a brainwave about a decade ago, realized their retail buying experience was complete poo poo, and retooled the store from "House of the Inflexible MSRP" to "better than Fry's."

That being said, their blanket 30 day return policy used to apply to *software* as well before they became the go-to place for locally buying components.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 10, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm just happy that someone at their corporate offices had a brainwave about a decade ago, realized their retail buying experience was complete poo poo, and retooled the store from "House of the Inflexible MSRP" to "better than Fry's."

That being said, their blanket 30 day return policy used to apply to *software* as well before they became the go-to place for buying components.

Fry's used to be better, they've gotten worse over time. But compared to the usual Best Buy prices and selection it's still loving heaven.

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006
Ether Mining in one image.

Also just sold my MSI R9 290 for $280 that I bought for $200 after the bitcoin crash 3 years ago.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Welp I finally own a gsync monitor. Consider me a believer lol. wow

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

My 1080s ti keep giving me trouble in SLI :/ All sorts of crashes in games, strangely 3Dmark runs the tests fine.

I wonder if it's because they're not the same model or because I installed the new one before removing drivers or... ? Will try DDU and switching card slots or killing a couple chickens later

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NJD2005 posted:

Ether Mining in one image.

Also just sold my MSI R9 290 for $280 that I bought for $200 after the bitcoin crash 3 years ago.

Do they even break even on this poo poo

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Do they even break even on this poo poo

Judging by the horrible suit and haircut, they certainly can't be making too much money.

edit: Hey, that April Fools prank with the Nvidia G-Assist that everyone thought should be made into a real USB drive? They are actually making them, but only a few thousand to give out at E3.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-gefo...uffer_pcgamerfb

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 10, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Enos Cabell posted:

Judging by the horrible suit and haircut, they certainly can't be making too much money.

Well the haircut is free - they just use the grease already in their hair from not bathing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So chances of AMD cards returning after the cryptocurrency inflation die down? They're completely sold out in NA and going for insane prices on the grey market. I spent greater half of 2016 and this year waiting for RX480 to price drop and now I might just go with 1050Ti (if I find one for $100) for FFXIV SB :sigh:

Also, I can't afford to build a new PC right away so I'm wondering in time frame of the next 1-2 months vs next week on video cards. M.C. doesn't seem to have any open-box/clearance items when I visit their stores too but still good prices on mobo/CPU though :smith:

Not too interested in GTX1060 3GB/6GB unless Vega cuts deep into their price tags...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've currently got a GTX970 and am thinking of upgrading, though I can't decide on what to get. I'm on the fence between a GTX1060 / 1070. Bless me with advice and show me the path to getting a VGA that provides the best bang for my buck (or £).

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
IMO upgrading from a 970 to a 1060 would be kind of an unsatisfying upgrade.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

IMO upgrading from a 970 to a 1060 would be kind of an unsatisfying upgrade.

So what you're trying to say is I should go big or go home? GTX 1070 then?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Loopoo posted:

So what you're trying to say is I should go big or go home? GTX 1070 then?

The 970 is only a little slower than a 1060 so it's nearly a side-grade, the 1070 is a real upgrade.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Which one do I get?

I don't know what the differences are (other than price) between the brands (ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte). Some are almost £100 more expensive, but the only difference I can see is brand name. I can buy direct from the NVidia website for £375.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Which one do I get?

I don't know what the differences are (other than price) between the brands (ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte). Some are almost £100 more expensive, but the only difference I can see is brand name. I can buy direct from the NVidia website for £375.

You don't want to buy direct from Nvidia, those are founders edition cards which run slower, hotter and louder than a card with a good open cooler design, this one should be fine and is fairly cheap. The more expensive ones have better cooling or are a bit quieter but honestly that does not matter much because how well a card clocks is much more dependant on coming up lucky and getting a good chip that clocks well.

fraggsta
Feb 2, 2003

mmmm, black straight hair.
So I currently have an i5 4690k, a GTX 970 and a Vive. I currently have 2 1080p monitors, but might upgrade to 1440p. 4K just doesn't seem worth it given the preposterous hardware required at the moment. I should mention that I want to play Elite: Dangerous in VR on this. I've been unable to do this satisfactorily with the 970, since I want to crank up the supersampling. I find the game unacceptably blurry without this turned up quite a bit.

What's the sensible graphics card to upgrade to? I've been having inappropriate thoughts about blowing £700 on a 1080 Ti, but then thought that just maybe a normal 1080 would be a little more sensible. Now from reading this thread it's actually seeming that maybe a 1070 would be a possible upgrade.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Alder posted:

So chances of AMD cards returning after the cryptocurrency inflation die down? They're completely sold out in NA and going for insane prices on the grey market. I spent greater half of 2016 and this year waiting for RX480 to price drop and now I might just go with 1050Ti (if I find one for $100) for FFXIV SB :sigh:

Also, I can't afford to build a new PC right away so I'm wondering in time frame of the next 1-2 months vs next week on video cards. M.C. doesn't seem to have any open-box/clearance items when I visit their stores too but still good prices on mobo/CPU though :smith:

Not too interested in GTX1060 3GB/6GB unless Vega cuts deep into their price tags...

Wait until the bubble pops. Buy poo poo on the super cheap when it gets sold off. Also if you do have a MC near by the website will tell you what's open box and what not. That's how I was able to grab my card.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

fraggsta posted:

So I currently have an i5 4690k, a GTX 970 and a Vive. I currently have 2 1080p monitors, but might upgrade to 1440p. 4K just doesn't seem worth it given the preposterous hardware required at the moment. I should mention that I want to play Elite: Dangerous in VR on this. I've been unable to do this satisfactorily with the 970, since I want to crank up the supersampling. I find the game unacceptably blurry without this turned up quite a bit.

What's the sensible graphics card to upgrade to? I've been having inappropriate thoughts about blowing £700 on a 1080 Ti, but then thought that just maybe a normal 1080 would be a little more sensible. Now from reading this thread it's actually seeming that maybe a 1070 would be a possible upgrade.

The 1070 is fine if you're not insistent on getting 60FPS with every game maxed out, the 1080 is good if you want to do that or just want something that might last a bit longer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

edit: Hey, that April Fools prank with the Nvidia G-Assist that everyone thought should be made into a real USB drive? They are actually making them, but only a few thousand to give out at E3.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-gefo...uffer_pcgamerfb

If the tiny blower actually spins, I'd pay money for that.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Depending on prices, selling a 970 and going to a 1060 can be a pretty decent little upgrade. The 1060 will most likely be lower wattage which means less plugs, heat and noise. My balance after buying and selling the old one was about $50 buying new.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jago posted:

Depending on prices, selling a 970 and going to a 1060 can be a pretty decent little upgrade. The 1060 will most likely be lower wattage which means less plugs, heat and noise. My balance after buying and selling the old one was about $50 buying new.

Aye, I always do this. I upgraded from a 770 to a 970 and only paid about £50 after I sold my 770 (I didn't have the original box so I sent it in the 970 box, must have been awful for the guy thinking he'd gotten a 970). I'm hoping I can get a good price on my 970 to pay a minimal amount on the 1070.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ha, in SAMart I sent a guy a 1060 in a 1070 box (yes I did it again, used to used)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I found the idiots buying all the AMD GPUs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fNnXSSrc90

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a reason the AMD GPUs are so much more popular? I understand at a specific price point but now that a RX 480 is going for $350, don't they lose their value? Like don't you reach a point where you just grab a 1070?

I'm half tempted to put my RX 480 on Ebay right now and use the money to buy a 1070. Barely used and have the box too. Probably not worth the effort after Ebay fees and such but the market for them is crazy.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It's purely because of cryptocurrency mining and the high value of the bitcoin right now, the AMD cards are a better value for mining so people are buying them up like crazy. I'd say it's not a bad idea to sell any AMD cards you have on ebay right now and buy Nvidia, I just sold off my R9 290 for about the same price I paid for it three years ago.

eames
May 9, 2009

RX480 prices absolutely defy all logic at the moment, I'd absolutely try to trade for a Pascal card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-Nitro-RX-480-OC-8GB-/152573632539
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Gaming-X-Radeon-RX-480-8GB-of-GDDR5-Gaming-Card-MINT-/132218553450

I assume some people read that "RX480 are the best for mining buttcoins and buttcoins make you rich" so they're buying them at any cost.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only way those buyers are making that money back is if they're part of one of those ten thousand-plus card operations running out of Iceland on cheap(er) geothermal power, and even then, it's a *very* long game to actually monetize whatever is mined.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So when is Volta rumoured to be out? My 290 is going for $50 more on eBay than I paid for it three years ago and I'm wondering if I can stand slumming it on a laptop until the 11x0 series.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CFox posted:

So when is Volta rumoured to be out? My 290 is going for $50 more on eBay than I paid for it three years ago and I'm wondering if I can stand slumming it on a laptop until the 11x0 series.

GDDR6 isn't entering large scale production until early next year. Plan for July-Sept. 2018, especially if Vega doesn't impress for anything other than hash completion.

Or they might just launch it with GDDR5X and refresh later. I don't think they're in a hurry.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 11, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My kid has a RX 480 that has been mining eth for like 3-4 days and he claims his wallet is worth like $40. Thats pretty good for mining for sure.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
That's sucks. Alright one more dumb question. AMD has Virtual Super Resolution which basically let's me select from tons of larger resolutions in a game and it down samples that to my 1080p monitor. Nvidia has something similar right? I use it all the time playing older games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

GDDR6 isn't entering large scale production until early next year. Plan for July-Sept. 2018, especially if Vega doesn't impress for anything other than hash completion.

Hynix specifically said that "a client" will release a high end GDDR6 graphics card by early 2018: https://www.skhynix.com/eng/pr/pressReleaseView.do?seq=2086

CFox posted:

That's sucks. Alright one more dumb question. AMD has Virtual Super Resolution which basically let's me select from tons of larger resolutions in a game and it down samples that to my 1080p monitor. Nvidia has something similar right? I use it all the time playing older games.

Yeah, Nvidia calls it Dynamic Super Resolution or DSR.

eames
May 9, 2009

CFox posted:

The earliest rumored release date is around September for the xx80 (to counter Vega depending on performance), followed by volume models (xx70/xx60) in Q1/2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only way those buyers are making that money back is if they're part of one of those ten thousand-plus card operations running out of Iceland on cheap(er) geothermal power, and even then, it's a *very* long game to actually monetize whatever is mined.

Nobody ever said they were being smart about it.