Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Signed up! I kinda wanna steam my run but I think my easiest way is the steam version...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Highly recommend that Mega64's boss site gets added to the OP - it's an amazing resource.

https://sites.google.com/site/mega64sa/ff5/ff5-boss-guide

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Aerdan posted:

The current version shouldn't have that issue...? What platform are you playing it on?
Yeah, that's weird. Actually the music patch prevents slowdown in a few places iirc.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Whew that Garula fight was a slog, took like 20 minutes because my drat flail kept missing. Never thought I would be so happy to get the Berserker crystal.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sort of first timer here, let's ride this butt to the ground.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I think I'm starting to "get" this whole fiesta thing.

Went in without farming and Liquid Flame's Fire2 counter was one-shotting people, in the end he ran out of MP and Lenna missed like 90% of her attacks for some reason (?) so it was incredibly tense and I just got super lucky that he got stuck in his tornado form trying to heal himself instead of in his human form.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Went in without farming and Liquid Flame's Fire2 counter was one-shotting people, in the end he ran out of MP and Lenna missed like 90% of her attacks for some reason (?) so it was incredibly tense and I just got super lucky that he got stuck in his tornado form trying to heal himself instead of in his human form.

axes have terrible accuracy if you were using them

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

fits posted:

This on top of Liquiflame having natural evasion (anywhere from 10% to 30%).

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Aerdan posted:

The current version shouldn't have that issue...? What platform are you playing it on?

An emulator (VisualBoy Advance). Maybe I managed to find an old version? I'll look around.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

fits posted:

I had everyone equipped with mythril hammers, for some reason Lenna was just hitting way less often than everyone else. I must have got stuck in a phase with higher evasion or something.

edit: or is that symbol an axe and my eyes are just bad? It's just called "mythril" but it looks like a hammer.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 9, 2017

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Are you sure? Your Zerk was alive going into Liquid Flame. Unless that was a ber/zer/ker run.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

widespread posted:

Are you sure? Your Zerk was alive going into Liquid Flame. Unless that was a ber/zer/ker run.

I mean, 3 white mages + Berserker is a totally valid thing, assuming you charm-lock Liquiflame. :v:

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Eh, don't listen to them. The optimized way to beat LiquidFlame is kill your berserker, get him into Tornado form, and wait for his MP to run dry, but who cares about optimization when you're learning the game and having a good time for charity?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

gbuchold posted:

Eh, don't listen to them. The optimized way to beat LiquidFlame is kill your berserker, get him into Tornado form, and wait for his MP to run dry, but who cares about optimization when you're learning the game and having a good time for charity?

Optimized how? Because I'm pretty sure that's one of the slow ways.

YOLO for life! 3 Zerks 1 White! :black101:

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 10, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I did the 3 zerk/1 white way. Getting lucky initially, then when LiquidFlame killed off one of them I had enough time to fire off a Confuse, so the next hit doesn't trigger the AI script and the second Berserker typically missed. Eventually it killed off the second Berserker and it became simple to maintain the Confuse->ANGRY AXER loop.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

widespread posted:

I was just doing 3 zerks + white mage because it sounded more fun that trying to flail it to death for like an hour and a half.

I also don't know what I'm doing, I meant "get" as in, I see why people enjoy this. This was probably the first time a battle in an FF game has been tense for me in like, over a decade. I'm just trial and error-ing things at this point, it's been enjoyable so far but I'm sure there are going to be some incredibly frustrating parts.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Butsu is ready to earn some Toxx

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I had everyone equipped with mythril hammers, for some reason Lenna was just hitting way less often than everyone else. I must have got stuck in a phase with higher evasion or something.

edit: or is that symbol an axe and my eyes are just bad? It's just called "mythril" but it looks like a hammer.

Hammers are basically classified as axes in the game's coding in terms of how they function. So mythril hammers still have reduced accuracy.

The upside to axes and hammers is that they ignore 3/4 of the target's defense when calculating damage. It's not that big a deal early on in the game, but the difference in damage output against some late game enemies can be really surprising.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's a hammer.

However, hammers are functionally identical to axes, the difference is icons. Equip Axe allows a class to use either of them, they have the same low (usually 70-80%) hit rate, they both have the same swingy unreliable damage.

e:f;b, that'll teach me to reply before refreshing the page if I had to go AFK.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mikl posted:

Sorry, I was asleep :shobon: go for it! :)

I'll likely tally the runs and make a single donation once The Run starts, by the way.

:getin:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Dr. Fetus posted:

So there was apparently a pledge last year to kill Neo Exdeath with a Skull Eater. Which was unfortunately impossible due to the fact Skull Eaters only had 1 HP, and that Goliath Tonics didn't even work on enemies. Well, good news:

Goliath Tonics work on enemies in the mobile version, meaning that Skull Eaters can be tamed. :getin:

That's nifty! I'll add it to my version difference list on the reddit.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Aerdan posted:

Maleketh posted:

An emulator (VisualBoy Advance). Maybe I managed to find an old version? I'll look around.

I checked the patch's readme, and it turns out it absolutely has this issue on VBA, and no, it won't be fixed. What a laughably lovely patch.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Maleketh posted:

I checked the patch's readme, and it turns out it absolutely has this issue on VBA, and no, it won't be fixed. What a laughably lovely patch emulator.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:frogout:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
That's the more amusing way to defeat Byblos, but Beastmasters can also just paralyze him with their whips.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Use VBA-M.

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/873405855626141696

You'd think by now I could screenshot Shinryu all the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The fiesta ain't even started you maniacs.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Mikl is donating for everyone who does a run with The Run party prior to the start of the fiesta.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

derra posted:

Mikl is donating for everyone who does a run with The Run party prior to the start of the fiesta.

Which party is this? The whm/3x zerk one?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Zerilan posted:

Which party is this? The whm/3x zerk one?

White Mage, Zerker, Beastmaster, Dragoon.

Y'all are way faster than me but I'm having fun with it so far, it's not nearly as painful as I was expecting. White mage is a slow start but it's absolutely worth having good healing later on, some of these fights would be miserable without it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Y'all are way faster than me but I'm having fun with it so far, it's not nearly as painful as I was expecting. White mage is a slow start but it's absolutely worth having good healing later on, some of these fights would be miserable without it.

In that order?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zerilan posted:

In that order?

Yup, same as The Run.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Maleketh posted:

I checked the patch's readme, and it turns out it absolutely has this issue on VBA, and no, it won't be fixed. What a laughably lovely patch.

I've never had either a slowdown issue or any audio glitches with the 3.0a version of the sound patch in mGBA. VBA is not the most accurate GBA emulator, and hasn't been for a while now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The fiesta ain't even started you maniacs.

Yeah but someone's donating :10bux: for everyone who does their own version of The Run this week.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

derra posted:

Use VBA-M.

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/873405855626141696

You'd think by now I could screenshot Shinryu all the time.

And that's one, congrats! :toot:

(I spent way too long looking at that Exdeath screenshot thinking "Wait, where's Faris?" before going "Oh yeah, wait. Dragoon. Duh." :downs:)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Double post, sorry, but a heads-up:

Yagamoth (one of The Run's players) is doing his routing run right now: https://www.twitch.tv/yagamoth

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

White Mage is the only reason this team isn't true hell. Its a slow, but survivable fiesta run. Dragoon means you can jump over any telegraphed/on death attacks that will wipe you, White allows you to sandbag anything that won't one hit you.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

I am hella PEEVED posted:

White Mage is the only reason this team isn't true hell. Its a slow, but survivable fiesta run. Dragoon means you can jump over any telegraphed/on death attacks that will wipe you, White allows you to sandbag anything that won't one hit you.

!White is very powerful and easy to use, but !Catch is definitely up there as well and could similarly carry the party by itself. It would just take more grinding to get 3 !Catch users in a reasonable amount of time (I mastered the class for one person in Bal Castle and another finished just in time for Neo-Exdeath so I had 3 9999 hits there) and to catch a few enemies. In addition, if you didn't have !White, you easily may have one of the other powerful classes to carry you (!Blue, !Black, !Time, !Summon, !Mix, !Sing, etc.).

Dragoon is definitely the dead weight for me this run, they don't bring much unless you farm a Dragon Lance to help against Shinryu and NEO (I did not). Ended up being a !White / !Catch / Item bot. One Zerk is a fine addition to most parties, it's only when you have 2 or more and start losing access to multiple party members do they really become a liability (plus I think Krile blocked every Algamest tossed her way, way to go girl!).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Heads up if you're thinking about fighting Omega in the iOS version, the number of counters it can pull off has been increased to 4 at max per action (though 1 damage instance only provokes 2 counters.) Better time those 10 frame stops right if you're using Rapid Fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Okay, let's do this thing.

• Locked thread