Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I had missed this Let's Play! You have a way with words that meshes terrifically with this game's story and atmosphere. Glad to see you back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

:woop:

I am thrilled to see this back! Hope you're feeling better!

Time to reread the entire LP. :getin:

Thirded.

Looking forward to finally seeing one of these completed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Welcome back! Sounds like things are coming to a head.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Welcome back!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Aw, thanks! :yayclod:

I have screenshots processed for the next update. If everything holds steady, we will see Trajkov very soon... and at long last.

Then we will take a look at one of the earliest possible endings and perhaps at an alternative way Solution's journey into Sholai-controlled territory might have gone.

I believe we also have one more vote to decide how this story ends, and I will set that up in the next update. Just keep your fingers crossed that the LP curse doesn't strike again.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This LP has been great. I loved playing Spiderweb games as a teen, but never got farther in this one than the end of the demo area (Pentil and the tombs where that ship sank). The only Spiderweb game I completed was Avernum 3. I got all five Geneforge games on Steam sale years ago, but never found the time to go back and play them. Hopefully I'll see the ending to the first one here.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Congrats on returning, and hopefully everything stays uncursed enough to keep you through to the end. Nearly there, by the looks of it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Good to see this LP back on track! Looking forward to the exciting conclusion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glad you're back and feeling better! We've missed it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for coming back i really like this :unsmith:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Oh hey, an update....

sweet :getin:

Also, glad you're feeling better.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ooh, here comes a man in a room. This should be good.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Holy crap, it's actually alive again! Good to see you back in the saddle, POOL IS CLOSED! The LP inspired me to go out and buy the Geneforge collection in the first place, so I'm glad to see it'll actually be finished.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Victory Conditions

Game Text posted:

This is the main presentation hall of the research complex. This is where the most valuable, most exciting creations and inventions were kept and showed.

This is not a ruin. This area is still very active. You can hear the humming of crystals and power spirals, and the growls of creations. There is a hint of ozone in the air.

This is the center. Whatever Sucia Island's true purpose was, it is here.

You steel yourself against fear and excitement. The demands of your kind and perhaps even the world mean that you must remain in absolute control of yourself, even in the face of great danger and even greater temptation.

The nearby obelisk says, "PRESENTATION HALLS." Rather than forge straight ahead, you follow a smaller hall to your left.

Those who dwell here are at least as bad as Goettsch. There are used canisters, broken power crystals, and barely functioning spires everywhere. At least most of the glass shards have been swept out of the center of the halls.

You don't see any patrols here, but you can hear creations and sense even more...

Game Text posted:

You step into the main presentation hall. It's a huge stone hall with a high, arched roof. The most significant and impressive developments were given their first viewing here. Even centuries later, the air crackles with magic.

In the center of the room stands a lone figure. He's not a large man. He has visible muscles, but he is nothing like the charged, augmented behemoths you've seen elsewhere. His eyes are calm, not arrogant or deranged.

This must at last be Trajkov, leader of the Sholai who have invaded your lands and stolen your secrets. He makes no move to attack you. He simply waves you forward.

He wishes to parley with you. He seems unafraid of an attack. Considering the size of the massive, fierce creations which stand around the perimeter of the room, you can see why.

A large tome on an ancient marble pedestal stands between you and Trajkov. More importantly, so do three of your creations. Trajkov's battle gammas are impressive -- enough that you also keep the other half of your team behind you, in case this is nothing more than a trap.

When you get a close look at Trajkov, you can see that the augmentation and changes he has received have improved him, but not controlled him. He is calm. He glows with immense power, all of it at his immediate control.

"I am Trajkov, Shaper." He speaks to you in his own tongue, but at a measured pace and with clear enough pronunciation that you can understand him without much struggle. "I brought you to this island. I want you to help me. When you hear what I have to say, I believe you will help me. Everything you have done to hurt or help my cause is now forgotten or forgiven.

"Now, at last, we may begin on the path to power and justice. If you will help. Will you hear me my story?"

We could say, "I have heard enough of your madness. Now we will do battle, Trajkov!" But I think you'll all agree that's not Solution's style.

"I would like to hear your story," you reply in earnest. You know what the Shapers would demand of you, but their only other representative here is hopelessly compromised. You don't think it's arrogant to think that he is even worse off than you are.

"There is not much to say, actually. We Sholai are a people of traders, explorers, we sail the seas and find new lands. We were an expedition to cross the great sea, to find out if there was anyone here.

"Harsh weather made us land on this island. And it was here we learned of you, and of your secrets," Trajkov says.

"And then you learned as many of those secrets as you could."

“Who would not? I could not, despite my efforts, learn your tongue, but others did, and they read your books and learned of you. And they learned how jealous you are.

"They learned that your secrets are not to be shared with anyone. But you are a Shaper. You cannot understand how much a poor outsider can want what you have, you take for granted.

"I learned. And we explored. And we came to the Geneforge," he says.

"You want to use the Geneforge, yes?" You wave your hand as if to say get on with it.

"Yes. Yes. I do," he says, nodding. "I will get to my reasons soon. First, the story. We could not understand your instructions. We could not understand how to use the Geneforge. So I had a plan. I had a Shaper brought here.

"I confess, we kidnapped a Shaper. His name was Goettsch. We brought him here. He gave me some information, and learned some himself. And he betrayed me. And fled. But I still did not know all I needed to know. I needed a new Shaper."

You know all this from other sources. "Me."

Trajkov doesn't try to prevaricate. "Yes. I need your help if I am to use the Geneforge. You must be asking yourself, though, why should I help this outsider become so powerful. I have reasons. Will you hear me out?" He waits to see what else you have to say.

You can challenge him here, too.

"I would like to hear your arguments."

"First I will appeal to your moral side. You have wandered this island. You have met the serviles. You have seen the things your people have done. I hope you have seen your people with fresh eyes.

"Your people do horrible things, and you have done them for so long that you have come to see them as normal." Trajkov isn't exactly wrong.

Still, what he considers horrible might merely be necessity. You want to understand him better. "What are these supposed horrible things we do?"

"Wander this island. See how you have treated, do treat the living things you make. You make living things, capable of thought, reason, pain, and you make them your slaves, destroying them when they displease you." You don't think that's very different from how his people have treated their own creations.

But Trajkov continues as though he can read your thoughts as well as your genes. "The other Sholai, they only care about the wealth and power your secrets give them, but I see the disease beyond. I am moved by the plight of the serviles, and of your creations. I want to end their torment.

"That is what the power of the Geneforge will give me. I should also say what it will give you."

"Very well. What is in it for me?" There's no reason to set yourself up as an enemy of the Shapers if you can't defend yourself, not even if it means siding with someone morally upright. Though you're not entirely certain you can describe Trajkov as such...

"Power. If you help me, I will make you my second in command. I will give you great wealth and power in return for your helping me to get justice. You will help me remake the world. And, in return, I will give you more than your precious Shapers will ever give you," he says. In this moment, he almost looks like a magnanimous overlord.

But you can't quite convince yourself to believe. "What do you mean by that?" Maybe it's because he seems to speak from both sides of his mouth. Maybe it's because you're tired, paranoid, and slightly mad.

He spreads his arms. "Look around you. This island is Barred! Yes, I know that much about your people. This is forbidden land! Everything you have seen? Secret! And those secrets taint you!

"Kill me if you want. Destroy the Geneforge if you want. When you return home, you will know too much to be safe. The Shapers want the secrets here buried. They will bury you with them." You know that he may be right; you might be too dangerous to the Shapers for them to let you live. You might be irredeemably corrupted -- your death or imprisonment may be the only ethical option, let alone the only expedient option.

"That is my argument. That is my cause. I wish your help. What do you think?" he asks, dropping his arms in a moment of vulnerability. You don't know if it's real or calculated.

Once again, we have the option to reject Trajkov: "I think you are an outsider, and a mad one at that. I will not help."

You can play along for now while you reach your true decision, you think. But this situation, the entire puzzle of Sucia Island, this precariously stacked pile of circumstances and poor choices, is rapidly coming apart. You can't put this off forever. "I think that you speak sense. I agree. I will help you."

"All right. The first thing I will require from you is your assistance." He points to the book next to him. "That book, I believe, contains instructions to use the Geneforge. Read it and tell me what I need to do. But beware. If I ever suspect you are trying to trick me, betray me, or slay me, I will destroy you. I will not make the mistake I made with Goettsch again."

You shrug. Trajkov isn't the first to threaten you, though he is a more credible foe than most.

Game Text posted:

You flip through the book. It was left behind by the Shaper researchers here. It's a collection of notes, equations, schematics, and instructions, all related to the Geneforge.

You skim through the tome. Most of the details are irrelevant or too esoteric for you to understand. Finally, near the end, you find a reasonably concise and helpful entry:

"It is unsure whether we will ever allow one to adopt the mantle of greater being and welcome the changes that the Geneforge will make. Who has the courage to allow themselves to be rewritten, remade?

"Should one ever accept the challenge and the danger, they must don the gloves. There are two pairs, though one of them was damaged in an early experiment and might not be repairable.

"Donning the gloves, the chosen shall caress the surface of the pool lightly, slowly, letting it works its magic a tiny bit at a time. Speed will be lethal. The body must adjust. Do not, whatever you do, put your hands far in the pool.

"Then, when the chosen is rewritten, the pool may do no more. The changing will be done and no more changing can have any effect. The user may swim in the pool safely. Such will be the power."

Your thoughts spin as you close the tome. Mad, brilliant ideas spin through your thoughts. You need some time to compose yourself. Trajkov says nothing as you wander off.

The glowing rune outside the door prevents whatever lurks on the other side from shattering the stone or forcing it open. It looks like the Shapers who sealed this place paid a dear price if the bones are anything to go by. There's even the more recent corpse of a Sholai. You wonder why Trajkov chose to let this place be the tomb of one of his companions.

A little magic on the nearby control panel lets you in.

A maddened drayk lunges out, abandoning the brittle dry bones of its captivity for the fresh juicy flesh of your creations and (it hopes) you.

The trio of terror vlish proves too much for its fragile mind, though, and your glaahk duo corner it and tear it to shreds.

The drayk must have sustained itself on the magic of the equipment lost by those who trapped it here. A laudable effort, but a futile one. The drayk's body long outlived its mind.

In time, you may face a similar end.

Next time: Wander and Ponder\

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 20, 2017

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009
If only we had an option to say gently caress it, kill Trajkov and Goettsch, and then sort things out with the serviles and retire on the island. Nevertheless, I believe option A is the closest to appropriate for Solution here.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I think it's pretty clear that Solution has no real loyalty to the Shapers. Trajkov seems significantly more stable than anyone else on the island (possibly including Solution), has experience with leadership and power, and has very clearly and logically thought out the situation and his plan of action. Therefore, Solution needs to Cooperate with Trajkov because it's the best of a bunch of uncertain futures.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

viewtyjoe posted:

If only we had an option to say gently caress it, kill Trajkov and Goettsch, and then sort things out with the serviles and retire on the island. Nevertheless, I believe option A is the closest to appropriate for Solution here.

We can definitely kill both of these jerks, but I figure Goettsch deserves his own vote.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

We can definitely kill both of these jerks, but I figure Goettsch deserves his own vote.

Ah, so if we vote to betray Trajkov here, we can vote to betray Goettsch later?

Edit: VVV Sounds good. C it is for Trajkov, and I'll vote the same way when we meet Goettsch.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 10, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

Ah, so if we vote to betray Trajkov here, we can vote to betray Goettsch later?

Yes. We can also do some murder even if we cooperate with Trajkov.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
C

But also betray Goettsch. That seems in-line with the choices made so far.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Let's go with A, then wave our freshly remade selves in Goettsch's smug prick face and kill him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just start killing people until we tell you to stop.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Am I correct in my guess that you intend to show off all the endings eventually?

Either way, A seems to be the most in-character AND most logical choice, at least if we take Trajkov at face value.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Am I correct in my guess that you intend to show off all the endings eventually?

Either way, A seems to be the most in-character AND most logical choice, at least if we take Trajkov at face value.

That's my intention. However, there will only be one canon ending for our purposes, and it's up to the thread to define it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

C and let's also screw Goettsch when the time comes.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's my intention. However, there will only be one canon ending for our purposes, and it's up to the thread to define it.

Ah-hah. You're trying to do a continuing character like berryjon's Exile threads?

Art. :allears:

And soon, Solution :allears:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 10, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
C. This power has destroyed everyone who has tried to use it, and even an entire civilization. Undergoing such a radical change would prove that Solution has been corrupted by the canisters. She's better than that.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Night10194 posted:

C and let's also screw Goettsch when the time comes.

This. I can't see siding with either megalomaniacal liars working out well for anyone. The Geneforge should also be blown up, while you're at it, so no future outsiders get any bright ideas.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Option D cause I always love seeing the "gently caress off I got my own poo poo to deal with" endings.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for C. In the end, The SHapers might not be the best of many things, but they closed here off for a reason. WE might not be supremely loyal to them, but we can -know- if this thing gets out to the wider world it will not end well.

Also yay this thread si back!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

A.
Become the servile Abraham Lincoln and abolish the Shaper Society. Old Shaper plantation owners will just hang you anyways, so gently caress them.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

A

Trajkov might be mad with power, but he's also completely right about the Shapers being assholes.

Kill that G guy who's name I can't spell.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
C
Look, what's a couple betrayals and murders, on top of what we've already done? Nah, don't be lazy, finish what you start.

The Lone Badger posted:

Just start killing people until we tell you to stop.
Words of wisdom.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

C+G

It's our time now; let's get this poo poo started.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

C

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

A

Dude's mad with power... but more importantly, he has a ship.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The SHapers might be hardcore nuts but in general they have a POINT when it comes to saying 'this stuff is too dangerous, we're going to try and lock it away/destroy it'. Say what you will, with what we've seen on the island we can't exactly say they were -wrong- in the point that it needed to be cut off permanently. Everything the Geneforge has come into contact with has gone bonkers, on a killing spree, or some mixture of the two. We don't want to end up that way. Self preservation means killing nad/or destroying it and them before /we/ end up that way too.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
C. The only person Solution trusts with power is Solution. And she's not all that sure about her herself, but better the devil you know, right?

Right.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
C. We have played every faction against one another. We have survived and thrived by our own merit. Have lost sight of ourselves? Have we lost place in our society, in our world, perhaps even in our own mind?

Maybe. But it doesn't matter. Whether we have chosen this path or whether this was the path we were forced down, we are here now. We are here, alone. We will continue alone.

Betray Trajkov and Goettsch. Our mind may be clouded, but we can still clearly see through their obvious greed, and we will play them against each other. They will pay for using us, for underestimating us. Our goals may be the same, but they will learn the difference between us.

Then and only then can we claim our prize. We have survived, we have grown, and we will be reborn.

We will activate the Geneforge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
C

Kill em all and use the Geneforge....

It's what our Awakened buddies would want.

• Locked thread