Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

Someone should make a kickstarter to make the Rap Rabbit guys and the Toejam and Earl guys have to perform in front of actual black American rappers.

Uh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfbMdtxwOyM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like he just straight-up names a character Dr. Strangelove. Also there's a semi-major character that has the same name and appearance as a Konami employee

As opposed to Metal Gear Solid which has a character literally named after an anime convention>

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

coward duck

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's a boss character named Big Boss.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what would you name a character who surpasses even the boss...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The name Pacifica Ocean just really bugs me. And then the game is like, isn't it ironic that she's actually not peaceful at all!?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

oddium posted:

Boss Baby

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oddium posted:

Boss Borot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe there still isn't a good and easy way to play dungeons and dragons on the computer.

Is there really not? That's incredibly surprising to me as well. I just assumed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Is there really not? That's incredibly surprising to me as well. I just assumed.

There are several generic programs you can use to simulate maps and even dice-rolling, but you still have to keep track of everything yourself or program pretty complex scripts to do so, as well as set up encounters and donjon maps painstakingly by hand. Basically it's a ton of work for the DM.

4th edition's systems seemed custom made for a computerized iteration where everything is calculated by the computer, freeing up the players from doing math and adjusting their hp and looking up what status ailments do, etc. This would also eliminate that edition's biggest flaw (battles taking too long), and ideally you could've downloaded premade maps from all the adventure modules, but then Mike Mearls tanked it on purpose so he could make 5th edition, and from what I know that also doesn't really have great online tools.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

you can't stable the bears in botw, in this insane post iwata world

for real not being able to stable non-(living) horses is the worst part of the game. like just gimme one weird illegal stable at least

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they never gave a true backstory to Dirty Duck

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, Peace Walker was when Kojima crossed the line with character names

I thought that was just a result of the Big Boss series of games being heavily influenced by James Bond films.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The name Pacifica Ocean just really bugs me. And then the game is like, isn't it ironic that she's actually not peaceful at all!?

I never actually played Peace Walker so it just reminds me of Gravity Falls. Only Pacifica Northwest was a much better name and goof than Pacifica Ocean,

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe there still isn't a good and easy way to play dungeons and dragons on the computer.

FantasyGrounds?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Roll20 is my go-to. It even has official D&D support, but you shouldn't support D&D.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ffxv's npcs are giving me strong sonic 06 vibes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Ffxv's npcs are giving me strong sonic 06 vibes
Why?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They move weird and look bad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm sure the voice acting doesn't help. Everyone sounds like they were directed by someone who doesn't speak english.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been watching a lot of twin peaks while playing a lot of dead cells. A combo I'd recommend!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Real hurthling! posted:

They move weird and look bad

the npcs in nier automata remind me of sonic 06 npcs where it looks like they're juggling when they talk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the name of that condition that makes you see other people as Sonic 06 NPCs?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how important is upgrading weapons to beating vanquish? because i find the upgrade system infuriating and the one machinegun i managed to coax up a few levels through it i accidentally dropped immediately before triggering a chapter break.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

how important is upgrading weapons to beating vanquish? because i find the upgrade system infuriating and the one machinegun i managed to coax up a few levels through it i accidentally dropped immediately before triggering a chapter break.

Upgrades are not on the individual weapon but will transfer to all weapons you pick up of that same type. However, you lose an upgrade level the first time you die in an encounter.

The max upgrade bonus is something ridiculously good like +40% firepower

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

What's the name of that condition that makes you see other people as Sonic 06 NPCs?

Sonicthesia

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

I've been watching a lot of twin peaks while playing a lot of dead cells. A combo I'd recommend!

The new twin peaks is ridiculously good

It's actually kind of insane that there are still 13 hours more to go

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really gotta step on it with the Twin Peaks watching, I'm starting to get dumb spoiler thumbnails in recommended videos on youtube.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

The new twin peaks is ridiculously good

It's actually kind of insane that there are still 13 hours more to go

HelloooOOOooo!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did you know? jedi outcast is a good video game

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cowcaster posted:

It's not entirely necessary because the hardest difficulty cuts that mechanic completely and weapon drops only refill ammo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I pretty much spent all day playing Persona 5 and it's a very good game that I like a lot so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm up to Gwyn in Dark Souls but the black knight boss run plus being dead in three hits if I gently caress up is making it hard going.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Isn't Gwyn like a gimme boss compared to some of the guys you have to beat to get to him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Mann posted:

Even by the standards of the Phillips CDi and 90s FMV games in general, an FMV minigolf game is an astoundingly terrible idea on just about every level. And that's without the added albatross of Eugene Levy shouting out dad jokes every five seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z2QYsK-kFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-tiK7fkTE

Scuttlebutt is that if Nintendo ever makes another Advance Wars game it will have the dating sim bullshit that has taken over Fire Emblem which pretty much kills any interest I have in the idea.

ah yes, this very new fire emblem thing of dating and marriage between characters. its definitely a new thing, very new, not something in the series since the super nintendo days. i cant believe anime has ruined fire emblem

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't Gwyn like a gimme boss compared to some of the guys you have to beat to get to him.

Pretty much, you parry him and he's easy. His theme is very kickass though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've beaten three Souls games without ever deliberately parrying anything and I ain't gonna start now.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I find it weird that they couldn't figure out how to make relationship mechanics work in Advance Wars. There's a game in which you literally pair up the COs and the most compatible pairings get unique power names and dialogue.

Also parrying Gwyn is for god danged chumps, he's one of the most satisfying and intense fights in the series if you fight him with no tricks.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Parrying ain't no trick you doofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

I find it weird that they couldn't figure out how to make relationship mechanics work in Advance Wars. There's a game in which you literally pair up the COs and the most compatible pairings get unique power names and dialogue.

i'm not sure they ever tried to make it work? i'm super curious what a post-fire-emblem-awakening advance wars would look like though

• Locked thread