Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

DrunkPanda posted:

Am I the only one who really hates Saul? I liked him a lot in Breaking Bad, but it was more laughing at him than anything else. But in this show, I just hate him. Part of it is he's a scam artist and I hate those people. The other part is that he actually thinks he's the good guy and that other people are treating him unfairly, whenever he gets any sort of negative consequences for his actions (like committing multiple felonies to steal a client from his brother).

It sucks, because we know that he "wins" in the end and I really want to see him fail

Saul is more than just a scam artist. He is an idea, a world-historical hero, light itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

How do you know he wins? Where's Kim in Breaking Bad?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Everyone knows that KENWINS

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like Saul because he makes me feel like he's doing the right thing, and kind of reminds me of Robin Hood, and we need more Robin Hood (not tortured) types on TV.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Saul owns and I hope he eventually finds happiness post-Gene

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Idk if I got locked in the trash area overnight at Cinnabon I wouldn't be sitting there thinking "I'm winning bitches!"

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Normy posted:

How do you know he wins? Where's Kim in Breaking Bad?

She's at home raising their children, where do you think she is?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

DrunkPanda posted:

She's at home raising their children, where do you think she is?

Little Jimmy Jr. and Saulette.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't like Saul here either for the exact same reasons. Plus he's a gently caress up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guys, I don't think we're supposed to be looking up to Saul. We're just supposed to be seeing what lead to him becoming a drug empire's consigliere, and to understand why he chose those actions. We are supposed tobe looking up to Mike though. Mike's a good guy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I dunno, working a Cinnabon in Nebraska sounds like pretty much a "win" in my book. Considering the alternative is being buried in the New Mexican desert.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Guys, I don't think we're supposed to be looking up to Saul. We're just supposed to be seeing what lead to him becoming a drug empire's consigliere, and to understand why he chose those actions. We are supposed tobe looking up to Mike though. Mike's a good guy.

Mike's a drug cartel enforcer and a murderer.

e: Not missing the joke, just stating it for the record.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TV shows aren't real and it's okay to enjoy a character that does things you find detestable in real life. It's like watching a Friday the 13th movie and saying 'I just can't stand Jason, he keeps murdering people'

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

DrunkPanda posted:

Am I the only one who really hates Saul? I liked him a lot in Breaking Bad, but it was more laughing at him than anything else. But in this show, I just hate him. Part of it is he's a scam artist and I hate those people. The other part is that he actually thinks he's the good guy and that other people are treating him unfairly, whenever he gets any sort of negative consequences for his actions (like committing multiple felonies to steal a client from his brother).

It sucks, because we know that he "wins" in the end and I really want to see him fail

His brother's an rear end in a top hat and deserved to get a client stolen.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Last Chance posted:

I dunno, working a Cinnabon in Nebraska sounds like pretty much a "win" in my book. Considering the alternative is being buried in the New Mexican desert.

Yeah how many people do you think he assisted/gave advice on/or was complicit in their murder? He still came out ahead.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

DrunkPanda posted:

In some way it's a shame that this is a prequel, because first season Jimmy is a genuinely good person, but everything he does is viewed through the lens we remember him in Breaking Bad (and the flashbacks to his past don't help). Even though he suspects that his brother's disease was fake, he goes to great lengths to help him, he worked hard to get his degree and pass the bar exam so he could have a honest life, entered the non-prestigious field of writing wills, and fought a company that was taking advantage of old people. But if you see him as "Saul", it's easy to reinterpret those things in a different light: He was trying to make his rich brother depend on him for everything, he got a sham degree just so he could jump on the McGill brand, he became the used car salesman equivalent of elder law, and the only reason he pursued the Sandpiper case was to further his career.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Sagebrush posted:

I assume it's just a legal requirement whenever the person dies and they haven't been actively monitored in a hospital. It was obvious that he was going to die, and there was a nurse there at the time who verified his death and recorded the time. Still had to have the medical examiner do whatever they did and sign off; I remember them saying that it was even more important because he wanted to be cremated, so there couldn't be any question later since there would be no body to disinter and examine for signs of foul play.

It seems weird, but I can see why the law exists. Otherwise murder could be as easy as "oh...he....suddenly died at home..."
That was more of less how Dr Harold Shipman operated. It's believed he killed around 250 before he was caught.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4724155/The-Killing-Fields-of-Harold-Shipman.html

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 10, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

TV shows aren't real and it's okay to enjoy a character that does things you find detestable in real life. It's like watching a Friday the 13th movie and saying 'I just can't stand Jason, he keeps murdering people'

Jason has a lot of mother issues to work through. He needs to :therapy:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I wonder if Chuck has the spite to throw the Sandpiper case in order to keep Jimmy from getting his finder's fee.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RJWaters2 posted:

I wonder if Chuck has the spite to throw the Sandpiper case in order to keep Jimmy from getting his finder's fee.

I don't think Chuck could ever purposely do anything that involved being seen as being a poor lawyer.

His entire identity is tied up in the idea he's a good lawyer - frankly w/o that no one would care about him at this point

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorry for the people whose moral compass is so hosed up that they do not like Saul.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

oliwan posted:

I'm sorry for the people whose moral compass is so hosed up that they do not like Saul.

Saul Did Nothing Wrong

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What would Saul need to do for the thread to turn on him

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

cut them off at cinnabon

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Help Im Alive posted:

Probably if he did something to intentionally hurt Kim.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Murder Kim.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shaddak posted:

Murder Kim.

Get Skylar as a client, make her show up in every episode

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Pay for someone to be shanked in jail. Luckily, JImmy would never stoop that low.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Saul doesn't murder Chuck, I'll turn on him.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

Not be the protagonist of the show.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cebrail posted:

Not be the protagonist of the show.

What would he have to do to no longer be the protagonist, mr pedantic

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

What I mean is that this is a tv show and he can do evil poo poo and they can still make him look sympathetic. The viewers won't turn on him regardless of what he does.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cebrail posted:

What I mean is that this is a tv show and he can do evil poo poo and they can still make him look sympathetic. The viewers won't turn on him regardless of what he does.

yes, we are all actually robots without the ability for critical thought.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

TBeats posted:

What would he have to do to no longer be the protagonist, mr pedantic

What would a fictional character in a tv show need to do, within the tv show, to no longer be the lead character of the tv show?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Work Friend Keven posted:

What would a fictional character in a tv show need to do, within the tv show, to no longer be the lead character of the tv show?

Lead character doesn't always equal protagonist. See: Walter White in the 5th season of BB.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
A protagonist (from Ancient Greek πρωταγωνιστής (protagonistes), meaning 'player of the first part, chief actor') is the main character in any story, such as a literary work or drama.[1]

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

That's literally all it means dude lol.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
you're right, my mistake. i'm looking at protagonist as the hero, opposite of antagonist.

however, my point still stands even though i got my words wrong. saul can be the protagonist (based on the correct definition) and be the bad guy that people turn on. see: walter white in the 5th season of BB.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Javid posted:

This shot?

That's like, 25-30 feet. I doubt it was a drone. Probably a boom of some kind.

The part that amazed me about this shot is keeping the lighting the same for each of the shots. Maybe that's something easy to do when compositing the shots in post nowadays, but to this layman's eyes it was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

TBeats posted:

you're right, my mistake. i'm looking at protagonist as the hero, opposite of antagonist.

however, my point still stands even though i got my words wrong. saul can be the protagonist (based on the correct definition) and be the bad guy that people turn on. see: walter white in the 5th season of BB.

how was walt a suddenly a :airquote: "bad guy" :airquote: in S5, but not S1-4?

• Locked thread