Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lazerus06 posted:

Last Guardian and Watch Dogs 2 are about $25 right now.
I know they are very different games but gun to head, which one would you get? Been kind of wanting to play both.

Depends on whether you prefer a game that aims high and occasionally falters or one that aims low and nails its mark. I'd go with Last Guardian, no hesitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TLG has one of the best endings in all of gaming. The game is a masterpiece of subconscious design tweaks and manipulation of separation anxiety.

Not for the impatient tho.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

That PS4 sale is wild. Horizon for $40AUD seems like a steal. Kinda too good to pass up.

Starting to feel like I'll never finish Witcher 3 though.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Does tax count on this $100 deal get 15 back deal?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Doom finally went on sale in Japan so I double dipped with the PC version. Surprisingly the Japanese translation is decent, especially of displays and stuff. I can totally believe UAC was a Japanese company.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Awesome! posted:

is that what happens after you play akiba strip for too long

Undead and Undressed has you running around punching people's clothes off :stonk:

How is the DBZ fighting game? Xenoverse 2? The first one was pretty OK as far as fighting goes, and I'm so bad at them I can't really blame the game I didn't like it too much, but the DBZ super is pretty darn neat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lazerus06 posted:

Last Guardian and Watch Dogs 2 are about $25 right now.
I know they are very different games but gun to head, which one would you get? Been kind of wanting to play both.

Last guardians finale is amazing. Its so worth it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Undead and Undressed has you running around punching people's clothes off :stonk:

How is the DBZ fighting game? Xenoverse 2? The first one was pretty OK as far as fighting goes, and I'm so bad at them I can't really blame the game I didn't like it too much, but the DBZ super is pretty darn neat.

Dbx2 is just the first game with improvements. I feel ripped off and unmotivated to finish it cause its 85% the same game i already beat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am enjoying prey conceptually but it's kind of unreal how bad the controls are. Like it is just so profoundly uncomfortable to play and hard as poo poo just because the controls suck so much.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I am enjoying prey conceptually but it's kind of unreal how bad the controls are. Like it is just so profoundly uncomfortable to play and hard as poo poo just because the controls suck so much.

They actually improved the controls but that made It stutter like crazy ruining them in a dif way

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Real hurthling! posted:

Dbx2 is just the first game with improvements. I feel ripped off and unmotivated to finish it cause its 85% the same game i already beat

Is it fun stomping around and punching faces as a super saiyan?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Is it fun stomping around and punching faces as a super saiyan?

Yeah but its a destiny style mmolite so you gotta grind to get through missions with npcs that die and force you to lose so it gets old

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Xenoverse is pretty good, but Arcsys just announced a 3v3 Dragonball fighting game that looks like its running on the Xrd engine that's probably gonna be a million times better

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Picked up HZD in the sale and wow, this game is gorgeous. Almost enough to make me want to pick up a PS4 Pro and UHD TV just to see it at its best.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That $100 thing is gonna get me, cause I look at that list and think "wow, good price on UC4 which I still haven't picked up" and then it's "oh, I need another year of PS+ soon anyway" and at that point I know I'm gonna come up with another $30 somehow even though I just bought GTA5 and N:A last week.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OxMan posted:

Does tax count on this $100 deal get 15 back deal?

I don't think so.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That $100 thing is gonna get me, cause I look at that list and think "wow, good price on UC4 which I still haven't picked up" and then it's "oh, I need another year of PS+ soon anyway" and at that point I know I'm gonna come up with another $30 somehow even though I just bought GTA5 and N:A last week.

This. Plus a PS+ is $10 off right now.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

If those tripped you up at all, I feel sorry for you because they were easy as poo poo.

they were also boring trash

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Real hurthling! posted:

Last guardians finale is amazing. Its so worth it

Personally, I thought the game robbed me of the feelings I should have felt during the ending, because it tells you what to do instead of letting you figure it out yourself. I really disliked the narrator. It basically only existed to tell you what you should be thinking and feeling instead of leaving that up to the players, and needlessly explaining things. Felt like a downgrade from ICO and SotC.

The whole game would have improved if you could turn off the narrator and the constant tutorial prompts. It really feels like they got cold feet and added those things late in production.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 10, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The mice were cute.

I agree but since the status effect is called "rattled" I think mice is the wrong term. I wish I got to see more of the different rat models for the different characters. I'm always a fan of games where the status effects that include a transformation have unique looks for each character.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Renoistic posted:

Personally, I thought the game robbed me of the feelings I should have felt during the ending, because it tells you what to do instead of letting you figure it out yourself. I really disliked the narrator. It basically only existed to tell you what you should be thinking and feeling instead of leaving that up to the players, and needlessly explaining things. Felt like a downgrade from ICO and SotC.

The whole game would have improved if you could turn off the narrator and the constant tutorial prompts. It really feels like they got cold feet and added those things late in production.

The narrator works in my own humble, as an emotional link tying generations together through storytelling, and as a template for transition between gameplay and cinema when things could possibly be too ambiguous for the player, since it's all done seamlessly in-engine. It also fills the role of Dormu's tutorializing from SOTC, since the mechanics, worlds, and plotlines of TLG and SOTC are far more complex than that of ICO.

Also, sort of like The Last of Us (Ellie avoiding the boost-up in Salt Lake), TLG sets up expectations of gameplay mechanics and narrative beats through a repetition of tasks...and then brilliantly executes a subversion of those player expectations throughout the entire ending.

The button prompts are sometimes invasive, but most of it's in the first 2 hours.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What we CAN all agree on is Star Ocean: Til The End of Time is amazing for having the balls to waste the player's time for an entire disc before actually starting the story proper.

Is that the one where you're all just in a video game but then you magically come to life and battle your gaming overlords? because holy lol that was a terrible game and perhaps the worst plot ever. I actually really liked Star Ocean 1 and 2 but I'd probably hate and never want to play them now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm eyeing Watch Dogs 2 now that it's half-off. Is any of the DLC remotely worth it?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I'm eyeing Watch Dogs 2 now that it's half-off. Is any of the DLC remotely worth it?

The DLC extra missions are fine but overpriced, the big mission pack also includes new types of randomised missions which are fun and give a lot of replay value. Only get the DLC at a discount though. But the game overall is well worth it I think, definitely at half-off.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Game is very good, but they hosed up the performance on one of the patches a few weeks back and haven't fixed it yet. I'm waiting until they fix it to start my second run.

wait what. Didn't they jus relase a pro patch that improves performance?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mr President posted:

wait what. Didn't they jus relase a pro patch that improves performance?

Supposed to. Sometimes does. Also introduced stuttering, hitching and hanging.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Man, Persona 5 would be a lot more fun without game over-ing when the main character dies in battle. Everyone can be revived; why can't I revive myself? :argh:

This seriously puts me off from playing; since this only ever comes up right as I'm heading to a safe room after an hour.

EDIT: Also saw the rattled condition for the first time. That was pretty :3:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

el oso posted:

Picked up HZD in the sale and wow, this game is gorgeous. Almost enough to make me want to pick up a PS4 Pro and UHD TV just to see it at its best.

Unless you have a 4k TV then Horizon runs almost as well on a normal PS4, so I'd say hold off on getting a Pro until you have one if that's your only reason for upgrading.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

:canada: might have been posted before but basically every big upcoming game is $49.96 on Amazon.ca right now :canada:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xaris posted:

Is that the one where you're all just in a video game but then you magically come to life and battle your gaming overlords? because holy lol that was a terrible game and perhaps the worst plot ever. I actually really liked Star Ocean 1 and 2 but I'd probably hate and never want to play them now

Yup. The entirety of the first disc can be summed up as "we met some people and killed time until the Diplo turned up" in terms of how it affects the actual main plot.

Star Ocean 4's still geometrically worse though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is Watch Underscore Dogs 2 actually a lighthearted game? I'm thinking about another open world game and it's on sale here but I'm not interested in games about people being lovely to each other right now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 10, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Watch Underscore Dogs 2 actually a lighthearted game? I'm thinking about another open world game and it's on sale here but I'm not interested in games about people being lovely to each other right now.

It's not really all that lighthearted on the whole, no. It's a game about dunking on corrupt company CEO's and rich assholes as Hacker Assholes for fun and justice.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not really all that lighthearted on the whole, no. It's a game about dunking on corrupt company CEO's and rich assholes as Hacker Assholes for fun and justice.
Hm. Well, my memories of GTA5 are dominated by hating the poo poo out of each and every character in their own way, but I would like to play that kind of game again after many years. I wonder if this is the game for me.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm. Well, my memories of GTA5 are dominated by hating the poo poo out of each and every character in their own way, but I would like to play that kind of game again after many years. I wonder if this is the game for me.

It's about cool hacker dudes fighting the power of corrupt corporations, you'll either love it or hate it. the gameplay is fun tech themed and stealth focused with much of the missions involving sneaking and hacking into highly guarded headquarters and sabotaging things in various ways all in a fantastic version of san francisco. Pretty much all aspects of the modern tech world are touched on, smart homes, self driving cars, you name it. i think it's a good game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wandle Cax posted:

It's about cool hacker dudes fighting the power of corrupt corporations, you'll either love it or hate it. the gameplay is fun tech themed and stealth focused with much of the missions involving sneaking and hacking into highly guarded headquarters and sabotaging things in various ways all in a fantastic version of san francisco. Pretty much all aspects of the modern tech world are touched on, smart homes, self driving cars, you name it. i think it's a good game.

Unlike the first game there's also actual effort put into drawing from real-life hacker/maker culture for story and quest concepts instead of unibomber vigilantes and Reddit memes. The neat little weapon you use for melee attacks was taken from the designers looking through various things people have actually made (it's a pool ball with a rope through it, incidentally). I was also real surprised to find a sidequest about the 52 Hz Whale of all things. :allears:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Samurai Sanders posted:

The main character is likable and so are most of his friends. It's Wrench that is polarizing, but even he gets a sympathetic scene at one point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, I haven't played a drive around at random and crash into things game since GTA5's PS3 launch so maybe I'll give it a try.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
If that person buys Watch Dogs 2 instead of The Last Guardian then that is the most foolish mistake I think one could possbly make, as previous posters pointed out, that game has one of the best endings in video game history, and I don't see a game topping it until Ueda's next game that comes out in 2027.

I like the narrator and don't think he's really intrusive at all, I found some of his dialogue really added and emphasized the connection even. Also this game didn't need the same feel as Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, since those games were incredibly minimal in their plot and what was in the world didn't need any explanation really, whereas there's way more lore and need for some context in The Last Guardian since it has a way more complex and, imo, interesting story than the other two games. It just didn't feel out of place to me, because while it still feels very much like an Ueda game in every way, it's more cinematic and is clearly portrayed that way, from the music, to how many set pieces and twists and turns you face compared to the SotC which had nothing like that, and Ico's only had a few moments where significant story plotlines happen that are clearly explained with dialogue. Basically TLG isn't nearly as minimal and actually tries not to be, although it still is relative to most games so I think that complaint is only brought up by people when it's compared to the other two games. It had wayy more of a story with a more complex emotional arc, and the narrator still explains things, but those things are still hugely left up to interpretation, and also doesn't comment on any other of the incredibly vague, open-to-interpretation, sort of plot elements or things that happen in that game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TLG is a masterpiece but the technical issues will definitely out people off and I don't begrudge anyone who doesn't get into it.
I love it so much and it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played but the controls were definitely not up to the standard of everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
October 27

Hells yeah