Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

For armor the one that blocks arrows served me well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sean10mm posted:

Just finished the main quest, apparently I was a good dad! :neckbeard:

Doing Hearts of Stone now, this game continues to be the best thing in the history of stabbing things with imaginary swords.

I can't give a good explanation for it, but I just couldn't stay interested in W2, wile W3 is pure crack to me. :iiam:

I had the same thing, i think there were a lot of little annoyances that added up. Still havent finished, must get back and power through the end some time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Avalerion posted:

W3 actually has a hidden away respawning rabbid troll. As far as know no way to get the doppler or sucubus decotion without being a total monster though. :argh:

Werewolf decoction is all you need in life.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Are broken achievements fixable? I'm using the GOG GOTY and after 73 hours of this game (holy poo poo) I've still only got Butcher of Blaviken, but looking at the list there's multiple ones I should have.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did you use a cheats.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

In the books does Geralt interact with witchers from other schools?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Lurdiak posted:

Did you use a cheats.

Nope. No cheats or mods.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Meridian posted:

No. Only Griffin and Cat are mentioned (Leo Bonhart's trophies).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Coughing Hobo posted:

I knew that Yen and Geralt were perfect for each other after their werewolf pun run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEd0yxi89fE

This is absolutely terrible. And that's coming from someone that likes SA pun chains. Make Geralt single. No wife, no strife. Hang at your vineyard chugging wine with your BFF Dandelion and BF(ha!). Toss those empty bottles over by your succubus and doppler decoctions and curl up to sleep under your troll head trophies.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Witcher 4 will just be Geralt and Letho passing a bottle of Vodka back & forth.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Meridian posted:

A Cat witcher tries to pick a fight in the last one (the one that came out after the games to capitalize on their popularity)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not to capitalize, he wanted to draw attention away from the games because he was mad he didn't agree to royalties back when cdpr first approached him.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Avalerion posted:

No idea about Yen but book Geralt also sleeps with some priestess and the leader of a bandit crew.

yeah but thats all during times when they were not together. i think renfi was before yen and geralt met. when they were together they never slept with anyone else. there's a whole bit in either blood of elves or times of contempt where they have a long talk in front of a lake while ciri is listening in where they get back together before the assumed betrayal happens.

i dunno what the polish versions are saying but i read all the uk books last year and they were pretty clear to me about their relationship. :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

ok so how's this for a newbie guide to stick in the OP (sorry for megapost)

Done did, sorry for the delay.

Anything else anyone wants to put in the second post when I fix images this weekend?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

The Witcher 4 will just be Geralt and Letho passing a bottle of Vodka back & forth.

Not after I import my save...:rip:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm impressed with the environmental storytelling with the footstep trails during the mission to kill the frost giant. The giant's footsteps and the human ones diverging and reconverging as the humans tried to lose him on narrowing paths was great.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
"Radovid sucks flaccid cock"

Yes I did laugh at that, I'm mentally twelve apparently

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not to capitalize, he wanted to draw attention away from the games because he was mad he didn't agree to royalties back when cdpr first approached him.

:owned:

Why didn't he at least agree to royalties? Did he have to give up anything in exchange, or was it pure "video games are for losers get out of my house" old man nonsense?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
When it's a royalty or cash deal and the cash is pretty decent, you usually go for cash because it's the safer option. Be honest, not knowing how history went, would you have assumed The Witcher series would have sold as much as it has and been as good?

Of course, Sapkowski is kind of insufferable.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

:owned:

Why didn't he at least agree to royalties? Did he have to give up anything in exchange, or was it pure "video games are for losers get out of my house" old man nonsense?

His stated reason was something along the lines of not believing anything would come of it, since I think they approached him for the rights pretty early on in the companies history, which was ages ago (early 90s?).

He's since stated that he at least knows he's a massive idiot now.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just hit 90 hours on my Steam playthrough, about to do Reason of State. Love this game and can't wait to play the expansions for the first time :hellyeah:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

When it's a royalty or cash deal and the cash is pretty decent, you usually go for cash because it's the safer option. Be honest, not knowing how history went, would you have assumed The Witcher series would have sold as much as it has and been as good?

I was under the impression the book series was quite big in Eastern Europe already.
Obviously no one could have predicted the giant success of W3 even as late as at the release of W2, but still.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

This is probably the closest you'll find about it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-24-meeting-andrzej-sapkowski-the-writer-who-created-the-witcher

Sapkowski posted:

"I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch," he says. "They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, 'No, there will be no profit at all - give me all my money right now! The whole amount.' It was stupid.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
this might be old news but lol @ the ME: Andromeda thread title

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just completed the assault on the castle in B&W and holy poo poo, if those vampires attacking is what Ciri's attacks looked like from outside, I pity any witnesses of her fights.
Also, I love dialog choices like this, this is like prime short story Geralt (mild spoiler for B&W I guess):

:haw:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah it just occurred to me that he might have had to choose between a pile of cash or royalties, and if that were the case I suppose I couldn't blame him.

Still.....lol. He's like that guy who sold his early apple stock for $1,000 or whatever

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah, and that's especially the case with a first time developer like CDPR. Before Witcher 1, they hadn't released a game of their own, they were localizing western titles.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Khizan posted:

Yeah, and that's especially the case with a first time developer like CDPR. Before Witcher 1, they hadn't released a game of their own, they were localizing western titles.

IIRC they also made that horrible PC port for Saints Row 2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

IIRC they also made that horrible PC port for Saints Row 2.

*immediately tries to Steam refund all 3 Witcher games*

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Finished Witcher 3, obviously went straight on to replaying 1 like a cool dude. Does anyone remember how viable sword builds are on hard, i.e. can I just glide through the game once I get a few levels like I can with an Igni build? It seems kinda poo poo that you have to split your points between steel and silver as well as strong/fast/group attacks.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

this might be old news but lol @ the ME: Andromeda thread title

that's a hearty lol

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I liked The Witcher 1, but I played it right after building my first PC so I was deprived of 3D games. Not sure I would have beaten it had I not been sort of ignorant of better games.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

you'd have to start again and the dude is about to release a long awaited patch and the description is really out of date (the world is no longer scaled for instance, everything is lvl 90 or so, so monsters and items are now based on stats and skills, plus this lets you do any quest in any order and still have a tough dark souls time) and i'd still recommend first play mod free, but: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1814/

has a lot of great changes for the better, mix it with that camera mod and a few other bits and it becomes loving amazing.

I was planning on just new game plussing so I could use mutations for the full game as a way to freshen up things, but I think this would be the way to go. I hope it's not super buggy.

e: Do you guys think a controller would still work well when using this mod? As I was reading through it it seems as if there may be extra buttons to use but I'm not sure.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 11, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I was planning on just new game plussing so I could use mutations for the full game as a way to freshen up things, but I think this would be the way to go. I hope it's not super buggy.

e: Do you guys think a controller would still work well when using this mod? As I was reading through it it seems as if there may be extra buttons to use but I'm not sure.

i used a controller with it, but the author doesn't give a gently caress about controllers. the extra buttons are mapped tho.

he's gonna be releasing a new patch pretty soon tho which should fix any of the left over bugs, which are few and far between. i dunno if this is his primer like patch either. i've been looking at mods to add on my growing list and i just discovered Random Encounters http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/785/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAaZtN-U7nw

:stare: if this works how i think it does with the randomly generated hunts then oh boy! i'm hoping it uses hos/b&w monsters in other areas too but i couldn't find any info.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

I get alot of script compilation errors even though I try the Script Merger and installing things via NMM. I've copied the Unification Patch to the game folder.

I run these mods:
Nor Dirty Lens Effect
Realistic Weather
Remove Screen Water Droplets
Autoapply Oils
Increased Creature Loot
No Fall Damage
Better Trophies
Durable Weapons N' Armors
Leveling Witcher and Relic gear
Over 9000- Weight Limit Mod
HD Reworked Project
All Objectives on map
Always Full Exp

Here's the log:
Error [content0]game\gui\commonmainmenubase.ws(73): Could not find function 'GetChosenMainMenuType'
Error [content0]game\gui\main_menu\maincreditsmenu.ws(397): Could not find function 'GetChosenMainMenuType'

Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(30): Global native function 'EnableDebugOverlayFilter' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(32): Global native function 'EnableDebugPostProcess' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\showflags.ws(11): Global native function 'DebugSetEShowFlag' was not exported from C++ code.

What dooo?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Hey what's a good strategy to kill shielded dudes apart from parrying them? That works of course, but takes a looong time. I've tried stuff like aard or igni them, but they seem to block that poo poo every time.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Smol posted:

Hey what's a good strategy to kill shielded dudes apart from parrying them? That works of course, but takes a looong time. I've tried stuff like aard or igni them, but they seem to block that poo poo every time.

Axii will cause them to drop their guard as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Smol posted:

Axii or dodging past and immediately quick attacking their back before they turn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Smol posted:

Yrden to slow them down. Or go into the red skill points and invest in Rend, which ignores armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Smol posted:

If you're far enough to have mutations yet and are using Europhoria (or a sign build), you can use Igni when they have an opening (when you dodge to their side or parry them) and they won't be able to do poo poo about being on fire.