Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samurai Sanders posted:

They...they voted Stein but are Trump supporters?

My mother would NOT stop going on about Clinton and her "evil eyes. She's got the devil's eyes, how is no one else seeing this!?" during the campaign. And then she started watching Stein videos and declared her "the smartest person in this campaign, why is no one paying attention to her?" And apparently she thinks once someone wins the election, no matter how horrible they are (and she loving despised Dubya and Reagan, btw), we citizens have an obligation to shut up and get out of the way and let them govern unimpeded for a while.

I'd like to blame this on the stroke she had last summer, but it miraculously seemed to have zero impact on her memory and personality, and she was spouting this poo poo long before that anyway. Point is, it's not the hardcore crazies who concern me, they've always been there. It's the moderates who somehow lost their minds over the last year and still haven't found them that scare the poo poo out of me.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

They...they voted Stein but are Trump supporters?

How does that surprise you? Anyone who voted for Jill Stein admitted they don't give a poo poo about opposing Nazis, so it's not like they'd oppose what Trump has done.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

How does that surprise you? Anyone who voted for Jill Stein admitted they don't give a poo poo about opposing Nazis, so it's not like they'd oppose what Trump has done.
I was gonna say, why not just vote for Trump then, but the post above mostly explained it.

Also my brother voted Stein and we haven't totally come to terms about that yet, just stopped talking about it. I hope a time of reconciliation about all this can come to everyone's families someday.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 10, 2017

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The walls are closing in, I see.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I like the guy eating on white tablecloth at a diner.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For some reason I've got a collection of cartoons about Gorbachev?

It started with a few modern Russian cartoons comparing Gorbachev to Obama, because...

I honestly have no idea why. Because both like to praise democratic ideals? Because predicting the collapse of the United States is back in fashion?

Anyways, those weren't that interesting (artistically speaking - fascinating as a view into the average Russian "patriot" mind) so instead I went with historical cartoons, often from our weird Scandinavian neighbors.

Short summary - Gorbachev favored nuclear disarmament, a policy of free speech / free criticism of Soviet policy called "Glasnost", and a greater amount of freedom to the Soviet republics - which resulted in Latvia and Lithuania (or however the Nords spell those) declaring independence.

PS - None of these people can draw a convincing Gorbi. Holy poo poo.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 10, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oh my god in what world is that obstruction of justice but not what Trump did

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

US GOOD

THEM BAD

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Duckbag posted:

What the hell is a nothing burger, anyway? I never even heard that phrase before a couple days ago. How the hell did it saturate hack groupthink this quickly?

Clinton said it about her emailghazi thing, and everything Clinton says is instant meme for the conservative hivemind.
http://www.newsweek.com/hillary-clinton-emails-fake-news-618557

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

Comey said it himself that he knew the takeaway from his testimony was just the parts people liked as truth and the other parts as lies.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shouldn't he be saying this out loud? Why can't Tinsley figure that much out?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

No not "all of us", just "Trump". Trump is the one who needs to be impeached. He's done terrible illegal things and he's going to keep doing them if he isn't stopped.

drat it Stantis, you know this! You seem to be fully aware that Trump is awful, so why are you slandering the people trying to keep him from being awful and ruining things for everyone?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Anyways, those weren't that interesting (artistically speaking - fascinating as a view into the average Russian "patriot" mind) so instead I went with historical cartoons, often from our weird Scandinavian neighbors.

Short summary - Gorbachev favored nuclear disarmament, a policy of free speech / free criticism of Soviet policy called "Glasnost", and a greater amount of freedom to the Soviet republics - which resulted in Latvia and Lithuania (or however the Nords spell those) declaring independence.

Most of the ones with text are in Dutch. "Behrendt" is apparently one Fritz Behrendt, who drew political cartoons for a whole bunch of different publications.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

What do you think it would take to get the usual suspects to stop making comics on the following:

- milquetoast "everyone is wrong/crazy and I am a wise 8 year old girl"
- but her emails
- but obama
- nothingburger
- vroom vroom liberals are wimps because they don't want to die of smog

Anything less than a hostile alien invasion?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Neodoomium posted:

What do you think it would take to get the usual suspects to stop making comics on the following:

- but her emails
- but obama
- nothingburger

I'm completely convinced that even if an alien invasion happened that killed 3/4 of the planet and could only be repelled by not making political cartoons ever again, Tinsley would still draw a comic about college professors saying bottled water is why the aliens hate us.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm completely convinced that even if an alien invasion happened that killed 3/4 of the planet and could only be repelled by not making political cartoons ever again, Tinsley would still draw a comic about college professors saying bottled water is why the aliens hate us.

First Panel: *Alien with afro and bone in its nose* We are here to kill all ya'll motherfuckers.

Second Panel: *Drinky Duck* And the liberals say I'M the racist for having a problem with this.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flunky posted:

I like the guy eating on white tablecloth at a diner.

Could be a plastic cover.

Wait, why the gently caress am I trying to defend a Varvel?

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

- but her emails
- but obama
- nothingburger

Nothing. Nothing will ever stop them. We've moved past the wilfully dense event horizon, we will never see the light of reason again

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

What do you think it would take to get the usual suspects to stop making comics
Surely market forces will claim their papers eventually.

edit: Seriously, I don't get how there are so many of those cartoonists still active in the US. Is there an active market who wants these kinds of cartoons and also buys papers?

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 10, 2017

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wasn't he actually born in Hawaii, which is not pictured?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

BonHair posted:

Wasn't he actually born in Hawaii, which is not pictured?

The picture isn't relevant, he just needed something to fill the space so people would think he's a cartoonist.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Current conservative cartoonist talking point: LA LA LA IT'S NOTHING HE'S A LIAR HE'S NOT EVEN SAYING ANYTHING.

Man the original of this is old by now but loving hell it's not gotten any better.
Being grumpy your sports team lost is totally equivalent to this shithole we're in now.

Pakled posted:

the sheer number of people who seem to accept the idea that Islam is incompatible with our society is just staggering.
Yeah, this turns my stomach, and I see it everywhere, all over the internet, like it's not some awful thing to say. It's repeated as if it were just a fact everyone knows, not even as a proposition, just something inherently true. And don't you dare try telling them there are already Muslims, right now, living compatibly and happily in and with Western Society, because all you'll get is "well they're not REAL Muslims, because Islam is actually about violence and the Quran is about killing infidels".

The modern icon of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" is a frothing-mad conservative with a few copypasted quotes he got off Infowars, telling everyone he understands the real truth behind the Quran because he's actually read it.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah my old landlord was one of those "religion of violence" guys who thought Muslims could never be real Americans. I tried explaining to him over and over that he was saying horrible things about real people who did nothing wrong and he just couldn't get it. Guy was literally saying that some of my good friends and classmates didn't belong in the country and should probably be deported and couldn't understand why I took it personally. He was also one of those people who talk about "the blacks" as a group like they were all members of the same fraternity or something and didn't understand why there was so much violence in Africa/the "inner city" when they were all the same group. He insisted he wasn't racist though.

Some people think racism is just about using the n word and burning crosses and don't have any conception of bigotry as something that can be insidious as well as blatant. Treating groups of people as abstractions and expecting anyone associated with that group to conform to the stereotypes you have about them is the very definition of prejudice, but a lot of horrible old people and sheltered young people really do think you can learn everything you need to know about "the other" from TV news, adventure fiction, internet rants, and playground jokes. The idea that the only way to know what someone is like is to actually spend time with them is just too difficult for most people.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No not "all of us", just "Trump". Trump is the one who needs to be impeached. He's done terrible illegal things and he's going to keep doing them if he isn't stopped.

drat it Stantis, you know this! You seem to be fully aware that Trump is awful, so why are you slandering the people trying to keep him from being awful and ruining things for everyone?

Stantis is completely useless, that's why.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I hope the rest of the world is finding our government's fantastic self-own as funny as we are

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Pollyanna posted:

Stantis is completely useless, that's why.

Conservatives would rather pull the rest of the world down around them than admit error. Nobody could possibly be above their level, everyone is as awful as they feel right now, and grandpappy's teachin's about the negro and the mussulman couldn't possibly have been racist.

They just pray for time to pass and the spotlight to move so they can pretend they never held those views. Like grandpappy's opinions on the catholic, the irish-man, and the chinee.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Neodoomium posted:

- but her emails
- but obama
- nothingburger

Nothing. An strong willed independent liberal woman named Clinton has caused rage like literally nothing else in my lifetime. They can not and will not ever let it go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pretty sure the 8 years of a black president had something to do with it as well.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty sure the 8 years of a black president had something to do with it as well.

It did but man, the Clinton hate is just something extraordinary.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The right wing noise machine had 25 years to rev that poo poo up. Obama's rise was too quick.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Johnny Walker posted:

Shouldn't he be saying this out loud? Why can't Tinsley figure that much out?

:rolleyes: ducks can't talk

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Theresa May's new government – After a bungled election campaign that saw the Tories lose their Commons majority, Theresa May has asked the Democratic Unionist party to help her form the next government"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Matisse.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 10, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pakled posted:

NO OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE

YOU'RE THE OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

YOU'RE THE OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE
I can imagine him saying stuff just like this when testifying under oath and then what the hell will it mean for future cases?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

The press is bravely preventing obstruction of justice from running rampant?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

This may be the only Rowson I've ever laughed at, rather than stared at in goggle-eyed horror.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Vampire Obama and Vampire Gorbachev need to be in a comic together. I need this to exist!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was gonna say, why not just vote for Trump then, but the post above mostly explained it.

Also my brother voted Stein and we haven't totally come to terms about that yet, just stopped talking about it. I hope a time of reconciliation about all this can come to everyone's families someday.

We went out for drinks with some friends the night after the Comey testimony and so we were chatting about it. One of our friends that voted for Gary Johnson blurted out "Don't you know Clinton and Trump are friends?! They are the same! It doesn't matter who you vote for. Russia had nothing to do with the election. It is all rigged!" Everyone at the table then tried to explain to them that, no, it has been revealed as fact that Russia interfered in the election and, no, a bureaucrat you happen to not like and disagree with is not the same as a crazy person that might be a spy for a hostile foreign government. It was very frustrating for all parties involved.

Duckbag posted:

Yeah my old landlord was one of those "religion of violence" guys who thought Muslims could never be real Americans. I tried explaining to him over and over that he was saying horrible things about real people who did nothing wrong and he just couldn't get it. Guy was literally saying that some of my good friends and classmates didn't belong in the country and should probably be deported and couldn't understand why I took it personally. He was also one of those people who talk about "the blacks" as a group like they were all members of the same fraternity or something and didn't understand why there was so much violence in Africa/the "inner city" when they were all the same group. He insisted he wasn't racist though.

Some people think racism is just about using the n word and burning crosses and don't have any conception of bigotry as something that can be insidious as well as blatant. Treating groups of people as abstractions and expecting anyone associated with that group to conform to the stereotypes you have about them is the very definition of prejudice, but a lot of horrible old people and sheltered young people really do think you can learn everything you need to know about "the other" from TV news, adventure fiction, internet rants, and playground jokes. The idea that the only way to know what someone is like is to actually spend time with them is just too difficult for most people.

Just change "old landlord" to "my parents" and :same: :smith:

• Locked thread