Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

poo poo the crusaders aren't holding back are they?

goatface posted:

Gonna run out of centres.

I guess Farrell covers 12 and North covers 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Until '89 it used to be a tour of Australia and New Zealand. So the Lions would get decimated by the All Blacks then repay the favour on the Australians.
Then someone decided that NH rugby could deal with getting whitewashed on a tour of New Zealand, and that the money and results from beating Australia would tide them over.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Schlesische posted:

Until '89 it used to be a tour of Australia and New Zealand. So the Lions would get decimated by the All Blacks then repay the favour on the Australians.
Then someone decided that NH rugby could deal with getting whitewashed on a tour of New Zealand, and that the money and results from beating Australia would tide them over.

I just don't think this is true. '77 and '83 tours were NZ only. We even won a test in 1977 and 1993!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di7CIWXM18E

Note classic tactics of kick high balls and penalties all day but have one fast wing who gets the ball once and scores

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Good stuff from Nick Evans on the Lions' problems that goes into a bit more detail than LOL WARRENBALL.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/expert-witness-nick-evans-on-the-lions/

The conclusion is still Warrenball.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

bigfoot again posted:

poo poo the crusaders aren't holding back are they?

I guess Farrell covers 12 and North covers 13

Hogg also played centre for Glasgow when he was younger so could possibly move there and Williams to fb.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Oh My loving God, This Thing Is loving Rigged, I Swear

Group 1
Wasps
La Rochelle
Ulster
Harlequins

Group 2
Clermont
Saracens
Ospreys
Northampton Saints

Group 3
Exeter Chiefs
Leinster
Montpellier
Glasgow Warriors

Group 4
Munster
Racing Metro 92
Leicester Tigers
Castres

Group 5
LLanelli Scarlets
Toulon
Bath
Benetton Treviso

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Edinburgh have drawn a team in the European Challenge cup that play just north of Mongolia.

https://goo.gl/maps/oLdaK7NMqW42

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

Oh My loving God, This Thing Is loving Rigged, I Swear

Group 1
Wasps
La Rochelle
Ulster
Harlequins

Group 2
Clermont
Saracens
Ospreys
Northampton Saints

Group 3
Exeter Chiefs
Leinster
Montpellier
Glasgow Warriors

Group 4
Munster
Racing Metro 92
Leicester Tigers
Castres

Group 5
LLanelli Scarlets
Toulon
Bath
Benetton Treviso

Well you might beat the Saints I guess.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

Edinburgh have drawn a team in the European Challenge cup that play just north of Mongolia.

https://goo.gl/maps/oLdaK7NMqW42

They were in it last year, and had to play all our their home games in neutral venues, because it turns out that professional rugby players don't feel comfortable travelling to Siberia.

I believe Jeff Hassler also used to play for them?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Tyma posted:

They were in it last year, and had to play all our their home games in neutral venues, because it turns out that professional rugby players don't feel comfortable travelling to Siberia.

Pansies. Jonny May is planning to travel to NK.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bigfoot again posted:

Good stuff from Nick Evans on the Lions' problems that goes into a bit more detail than LOL WARRENBALL.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/expert-witness-nick-evans-on-the-lions/

The conclusion is still Warrenball.

I'd also say outright that the type of game that Gatland has his team play just simply isn't suited to playing the top Southern Hemisphere teams. Occasionally, they can get a big result because the stars align once in a while, but those have been few and far between. There was the series win against the Wallabies in 2013, but that was against a Wallabies side in complete disarray and despite the final test blow-out, the Wallabies very nearly took that one in the first test, were it not for Beale slipping over when taking the kick. And yeah, they've beaten the Boks in the last couple of fixtures, but once again, the more recent one was against a mentally broken team that clearly didn't want to be there any more.

Crashing and bashing at the defensive line, and then being forced to crab sideways is too loving easy at times, and you'd think Gatland would have figured that one out when a Wallabies side with only 13 players on the field held them out in 2015, or the fact that he went about 20-odd fixtures between wins against SANZAR opposition.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In all the excitement of the Lions tour, there's another test series that could be quite interesting brewing in South Africa, between a team that will be out to prove that they're not a bunch of losers and a team that has a fairly respectable record against them.

The Springboks squad to face France is:

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Malcolm Marx
3. Frans Malherbe
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Frans Mostert
6. Siya Kolisi
7. Oupa Mohoje
8. Warren Whiteley (C)
9. Ross Cronje
10. Elton Jantjies
11. Courtnall Skosan
12. Jan Serfontein
13. Jesse Kriel
14. Raymond Rhule
15. Andries Coetzee

16. Bongi Mbonambi
17. Steven Kitshoff
18. Coenie Oosthuizen
19. Pieter-Steph du Toit
20. Jean-Luc du Preez
21. Francois Hougaard
22. Frans Steyn
23. Dillyn Leyds

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Under 20 world cup is going on at he moment and some highlights are on Youtube if anyone's interested. Lot of future internationals on show and England tend to do well (Itoje, Slade, Nowell, and a bunch of others all won it in recent years). I'm pleasantly surprised by Scotland this year too.

https://youtu.be/Bp6HAjnWzwE

The 2011 side were runners up but this lineup looks pretty good now

15) Ben Ransom (Saracens)
14) Andy Short (Worcester Warriors)
13) Elliot Daly (London Wasps)
12) Owen Farrell (Saracens)
11) Marland Yarde (London Irish)
10) George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
9) Chris Cook (Bath Rugby)
1) Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
2) Mikey Haywood (Northampton Saints)
3) Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks)
4) Joe Launchbury (London Wasps)
5) Charlie Matthews (Harlequins)
6) Sam Jones (London Wasps)
7) Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors)
8) Alex Gray (c) (Newcastle Falcons)

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

A couple of the Scottish U20s are looking good. Guys like Calum Hunter-Hill. Matt Fagerson(brother of Scotland capped Zander), Darcy Graham, Robbie Nairn and Fergus Bradbury(brother of Scotland capped Magnus) have all played well and beaten pretty good sides and beat the Irish U20s for the first time ever. Got hammered by the Baby Blacks in the second half but that's no real surprise.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I noticed Hunter-Hill, Graham, and Nairn. I even thought they played ok against NZ

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Thought the kiwis in the thread would enjoy this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/09/warren-gatland-all-blacks-new-zealand-rugby

People claiming Gatland is in line to coach the ABs after 2019 hee hee

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Crusaders by?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I missed the lineups. Do the crusaders have their ABs?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

butros posted:

I missed the lineups. Do the crusaders have their ABs?

Previous page.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The French are still allowed to referee??? Sort your poo poo out rugby.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Little mistakes are killing them right now.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Looks like Hogg is hosed after running into Murray's elbow.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Stuart Barnes suggests Hogg should take a long kick at goal. From the treatment room, presumably

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

Stuart Barnes suggests Hogg should take a long kick at goal. From the treatment room, presumably

It'd be a hell of a kick.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

It'd be a hell of a kick.

Barnes has great faith in Hogg.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

The Crusaders do not look like the top side in Super Rugby.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
The greasy ball has made this a much harder game for both sides. Nice dry conditions and I think we're looking at 3 or 4 tries already but it's a much better lions performance so far. Farrell has got to be the first pick at 10 surely?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Farrell has got to be the first pick at 10 surely?

I'd go further and say he needs to be wrapped in cotton wool because Sexton and Biggar are playing way way below his level.

Christ, that was difficult to type.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Hogg and Davies both failed their HIA so that might make the test side a bit tricky if they don't recover.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
nice kick there

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
If anything the Lions have looked more like scoring. The Crusaders just don't seem to be able to get across the 22

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Get a taste of this boring, boring NH rugby, kiwi losers :neckbeard:

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Tyma posted:

Get a taste of this boring, boring NH rugby, kiwi losers :neckbeard:

Crusaders blindsided by players who actually tackle.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

This could have been a good match but the wet pitch has really stifled any sort of running rugby and the slippery ball has caused so many handling errors. Lions will need to play better than this to have a hope against the ABs.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hoping Hogg and Davies will be OK. Happy with the win, managed to make an excellent side look a little ordinary.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
What a poo poo game, Lions played ok but profited from dodgy scrum penalties and inept Crusader handling of repetitive up and unders.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Nah, 'Saders were pushing early every time. And the one big scrum they won they were total cunts about it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

What a poo poo game, Lions played ok but profited from dodgy scrum penalties and inept Crusader handling of repetitive up and unders.

Lots of handling errors all rund but not the level the Crusaders can play at. Franks was boring in a lot until he straightened up and stopped getting pinged.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

Bang on. The Lions upped their game significantly and deserved to win, the Crusaders played like poo poo and the referee was even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Bang on. The Lions upped their game significantly and deserved to win, the Crusaders played like poo poo and the referee was even worse.

The Crusaders played like poo poo because the Lions defense was fantastic.