Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Miftan posted:

bibi's hand trying to push him away.

Haha, apparently this really happened. Why is this guy 'infamous' though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Il Federale posted:

Haha, apparently this really happened. Why is this guy 'infamous' though?

Meth, hookers, sexual harassment, the list continues.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Disinterested posted:

Yeah, but why is he 'infamous'?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Disinterested posted:

No, he meant the guy posing with Trump

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

corn in the bible posted:

No, he meant the guy posing with Trump

Hazan has been a longtime fan of Trump, even before he won the Republican primary. Trump is also the only person Hazan follows on twitter.

In an interview with The Jerusalem Post last year, Hazan said he is like Trump because: “The politicians and media laughed at him and made him into a clown. But in the end, the people are voting for him because he says what they think out loud.

Edit: The failed attempt at selfie-blocking in action:

https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/866603613900206080

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Taken from the Trump thread, Bibi's face when Trump denied telling anyone that the Intel he was leaking came from Israel:

The video of Trump saying he "just got back from the Middle East" is a lot smaller, but Rivlin visibly grimaces in response, and Dermer puts his hand to his head.

I wonder how badly they're wishing they had Obama back right now :3:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

"Donald Trump criticised for guestbook note at Holocaust memorial where Barack Obama gave emotional speech" http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...t-a7752541.html

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 24, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

"Donald Trump criticised for guestbook note at Holocaust memorial where Barack Obama gave emotional speech http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...t-a7752541.html

My favorite part is how the "will never forget!" doesn't line up with the rest of it, almost as if he didn't remember to write it until after he signed it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Happy Jerusalem Day!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Holy poo poo I thought Pissflaps had wandered in here. Go gently caress yourself hakimashou, Jerusalem day shouldn't be a holiday, just like colombus day.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
happy jerusalem day indeed!

https://www.facebook.com/JewishVoiceforPeace/videos/10156161679654992/

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In an interview with The Jerusalem Post last year, Hazan said he is like Trump because: “The politicians and media laughed at him and made him into a clown. But in the end, the people are voting for him because he says what they think out loud.[/url]

But Hazan, Trump lost the popular vote.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AmirToumaj/status/867759159965515776

Yikes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

At least they're not actual human remains.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

At least they're not actual human remains.

Pity.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:chloe:

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Lol like you or anyone should give a single solitary gently caress about israeli POWs when there are still lebanese civilians held incommunicado for the sole purpose of using them for bargaining chips in exchange for israeli soldiers.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I mean, we can care about people not being treated like poo poo regardless of where they're from, and whether they're fighting for apartheid/genocide, even when we wish they wouldn't? I don't know, just my 2 cents here. Especially given that Israeli soldiers are mostly indoctrinated 18 year olds and not battle hardened veterans.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/KhaledAbuToameh/status/870028420159336450

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I don't mean to be invidious and you seem like you're a genuinely good person it's just hard to be objective sometimes.

http://imgur.com/a/SL5fz

But seriously when you see cheeky poo poo like this it's really hard to drum up sympathy.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 1, 2017

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I know, I'm Israeli, the press is poo poo and sympathy for a theocratic state that has a bone for genocide is hard. It's easier for individuals.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I know your press is poo poo, but hearing this sort of line from Ha'aretz is startling because there tend to be far less chest-beaters on their staff compared to j-post.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

They might not even consider it as such. Just a bit of national pride, nothing wrong with that! It's a bit hosed up like that when all your national heroes are terrorists and soldiers.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Haaretz post click-bait headlines in social media all the freaking time now, that's seriously their thing in the past two years or so. Less than a month ago they posted a headline about how the Jewish Home electorate is 'more dangerous than Hezbollah'. Before that it was "the israeli fake-chocolate spread is the most fascist fake-chocolate spread on the planet", I poo poo you not - http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.780548 (premium article but it's really all about the headline, which did invoke Fascism in the hebrew version).

You can lose your poo poo and lust for grisly pictures of dead israeli PoWs or whatever floats your boat but really, Haaretz is not a shining beacon of journalistic integrity, it's a dying husk of a once credible paper that just tries to generate traffic through sensationalist social media posts. If they got you angry enough to share their post they probably feel like they've done their job.

Really, they're trolling everybody, two weeks ago they had an op piece about how BtS and B'tselem are traitors to the Zionist cause. It's just their thing.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ultramega posted:

Lol like you or anyone should give a single solitary gently caress about israeli POWs when there are still lebanese civilians held incommunicado for the sole purpose of using them for bargaining chips in exchange for israeli soldiers.

Is there actual proof of this? There are a handful of missing from the Lebanon War, but it could be just as well that they're dead.

Banning things is stupid whatever side it's on.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2017/06/22/israels-irrational-rationality/

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There's this self serving myth making among the old Labor set. It's false and doesn't really do anyone any good. It's not quite our Trumpian nostalgia for the '50s, but you can at least make the comparison.

Having read the Thrall book that this cites, I think Thrall's thesis is wrong in the sense that the second intifada has had disastrous consequences for Palestinians, both from a humanitarian perspective, and the fact that settlements have wildly expanded. I don't see how you can construct an argument then that violence "worked." It had some upside, and significantly more downside.

Of course there are times when force and threats on Israel have worked, and there are times it has not, and has not been the right approach. Selectively citing hurts the argument there. I don't think it's feasible to get an agreement through unilateral concessions, as that goes against the very principle of negotiations and compromise. It's also a mistake to think of the government as some static, unchanging force, when there have been recent Labor and Kadima governments that favored negotiations, and Likud keeps winning elections by the skin of their teeth.

I think the truth about backchannel negotiations also disproves the argument that the peace process is fictitious. Just today Haaretz had a story about Netanyahu's apparent support of John Kerry's framework for a peace deal last year (1967 borders with some adjustments, shared Jerusalem, no right of return), which have been the essence of a deal since Camp David.

It's also discounting the Sunni/Shia split within the region, as I think that's really improved the prospects for a deal, and ends the fantasy that any real international pressure would ever happen. I mean even in the countries where they're boycotting settlements, they're actively against full BDS, and now a good portion of the region either has an open (Egypt, Jordan, PA) or hiding in plain sight (Saudi Arabia, UAE) relationship with Israel.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

Having read the Thrall book that this cites, I think Thrall's thesis is wrong in the sense that the second intifada has had disastrous consequences for Palestinians, both from a humanitarian perspective, and the fact that settlements have wildly expanded. I don't see how you can construct an argument then that violence "worked." It had some upside, and significantly more downside.

The places where violence is least prevalent, settlement is most prevalent. Israel punishes peace while slowly making resistance more and more impossible at the same time. The Palestinian lot has got worse over time, yes, but that's not really the question.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 8, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Disinterested posted:

The places where violence is least prevalent, settlement is most prevalent. Israel punishes peace while slowly making resistance more and more impossible at the same time. The Palestinian lot has got worse over time, yes, but that's not really the question.
Colonial struggles are always a game of leverage. Right now the Palestinians have essentially zero since there is virtually no violence against Israeli oppression, and the new administration in the US is perfectly fine with letting the Israelis do what they want without consequences. I hate to say it but in the past it seems like Israel has only been truly willing to come to the table when they feel more threatened. There's no reason for the foreseeable future for the Israelis/Netanyahu to give the Palestinians anything they want, so the status quo of more settlements will remain until the Palestinians have been forced into even smaller Bantustans or something on the political front shifts. But it's been clear for the last 17 years or so that it's politically impossible in the US to support the Palestinians or even act as an impartial negotiator for fear of being attacked by pro-Israelis groups like AIPAC and their various allies in the US.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Colonial struggles are always a game of leverage. Right now the Palestinians have essentially zero since there is virtually no violence against Israeli oppression, and the new administration in the US is perfectly fine with letting the Israelis do what they want without consequences. I hate to say it but in the past it seems like Israel has only been truly willing to come to the table when they feel more threatened. There's no reason for the foreseeable future for the Israelis/Netanyahu to give the Palestinians anything they want, so the status quo of more settlements will remain until the Palestinians have been forced into even smaller Bantustans or something on the political front shifts. But it's been clear for the last 17 years or so that it's politically impossible in the US to support the Palestinians or even act as an impartial negotiator for fear of being attacked by pro-Israelis groups like AIPAC and their various allies in the US.

I think it's true that Palestinians have no leverage - and they certainly do not, nor do any potential allies have a hope of military victory - and as a result I think pessimism is the only attitude to adopt about their prospects. The only hope Palestinians have is that the United States makes aid conditional on participation in talks, but I question whether Israel would consider the necessary concessions without profound external pressure, all to achieve a highly uneasy and precarious peace.

The road to that external pressure is visible, though, from the spectacular mishandling of Israeli foreign affairs by Netanyahu. If there's a beginning, that's it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Note: you wildly misstate the importance and role of AIPAC and the idea that the timeline for pro-Israeli orthodoxy is 17 years long is stupid and also ignores recent developments.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Colonial struggles are always a game of leverage. Right now the Palestinians have essentially zero since there is virtually no violence against Israeli oppression, and the new administration in the US is perfectly fine with letting the Israelis do what they want without consequences.

Trump is in the thrall of the Saudis and the UAE, to the extent that he is capable of conscious thought which is not much. There have been repeated reports in the Israeli press that Trump proxies like Greenblatt have insisted on no new settlements, and the dovish billionaire Ronald Lauder (funder of New Israel Fund, J Street type organizations) is setting policy moreso than Adelson. Even Kushner, who is personal friends with Netanyahu, has not been a rubber stamp.

quote:

I hate to say it but in the past it seems like Israel has only been truly willing to come to the table when they feel more threatened.

How does that explain Kadima in the mid 2000s?

quote:

There's no reason for the foreseeable future for the Israelis/Netanyahu to give the Palestinians anything they want

I strongly disagree. The Saudi Arabia/Iran proxy war has created an opening for Israel. They've never had better relations with Fatah either. There's a really good opportunity to make a deal and completely isolate Hezbollah and Hamas.

quote:

But it's been clear for the last 17 years or so that it's politically impossible in the US to support the Palestinians or even act as an impartial negotiator for fear of being attacked by pro-Israelis groups like AIPAC and their various allies in the US.

This is confusing, because there is more and more loud anti-Zionist chest pounding by progressives and paleocon types, and half of those are seemingly self-refutingly claiming that it's impossible to have a conversation about the topic. What do you call Obama and Kerry pressuring Netanyahu hard to make concessions as? AIPAC is a hardly a colossus, they're one lobby of many, think about when they tried to stop the Iran deal, or Obama tried to use them to drum up support to bomb Syria.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

I think the truth about backchannel negotiations also disproves the argument that the peace process is fictitious. Just today Haaretz had a story about Netanyahu's apparent support of John Kerry's framework for a peace deal last year (1967 borders with some adjustments, shared Jerusalem, no right of return), which have been the essence of a deal since Camp David.

Well, first of all, Netanyahu supposedly being okay with Kerry's peace framework in 2016 doesn't exactly say much, since Kerry's peace negotiations happened back in 2013 and were widely considered to be a complete and total failure by 2014. Second of all, if the deals being offered by the US haven't changed meaningfully since the Camp David Summit failed seventeen years ago, that doesn't exactly draw an encouraging picture about the quality of that framework. Third, and most importantly, the devil is in the details. Most players involved can agree on "1967 borders with some adjustments", but everyone has wildly different opinions on what those "some adjustments" should be, and the Israeli government has been abusing creative interpretations of the Oslo Accords for so long that the Palestinians are deeply distrustful of any ambiguity or "we'll figure that out later" in a deal.

Kim Jong Il posted:

How does that explain Kadima in the mid 2000s?

You mean the Kadima that was founded right after the Second Intifada and Gaza disengagement, was at its most powerful during the wars in Lebanon and Gaza, completely fell apart during the peaceful period afterward, and has now essentially ceased to exist?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

"There's no pride in the occupation" - Activists demonstrating against the occupation and pink washing today in the Tel-Aviv gay pride parade.

https://972mag.com/anti-occupation-lgbtq-activists-block-tel-aviv-pride-parade/127996/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Like it or not, once Clinton left office any real hope for a peace deal became remote.

Obama was willing to put pressure on Netanyahu but it was pretty minor overall. Remember how much of a scandal it was that our UN Ambassador didn't veto a UN Resolution saying that the UN believes Israel is being too mean? Keep in mind that was the most pressure Obama or his administration ever put on Israel and it was when they were in a lame duck transition post-election when that didn't matter. It still caused a big uproar even among pro-Israeli Democrats.

My point is that if even Obama, who could get away with more of that because of his popularity, was unwilling to put any real pressure on the Israelis to come to the table, we are not in a good place.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

"There's no pride in the occupation" - Activists demonstrating against the occupation and pink washing today in the Tel-Aviv gay pride parade.

https://972mag.com/anti-occupation-lgbtq-activists-block-tel-aviv-pride-parade/127996/

There seems to be a waking up of Jewish anti-occupation activism. Their numbers are still very small but they are causing lots of consternation. I hope it continues to grow :unsmith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nebalebadingdong posted:

There seems to be a waking up of Jewish anti-occupation activism. Their numbers are still very small but they are causing lots of consternation. I hope it continues to grow :unsmith:

It's pretty much the same number of people (probably even mostly the same people) from a decade ago. They have just gotten better at social media, and social media itself has gotten better at spreading the word.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

There's also people around like Barack Cohen who is leading intersectionality of struggles tight now on Israel and is getting a tiny bit of coverage. He yells and swears at MKs like Miri Regev and bank CEOs and promotes Palestinian, haredi and Ethiopian causes. He does good work.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

You mean the Kadima that was founded right after the Second Intifada and Gaza disengagement, was at its most powerful during the wars in Lebanon and Gaza, completely fell apart during the peaceful period afterward, and has now essentially ceased to exist?

Kadima wasn't a reaction to Gaza, Sharon formed it because pulling out of Gaza split Likud. It was formed in 2005, not 2002 - saying it was formed in response to political violence is preposterous.

It's 2017, and the world has changed. Even Avigdor Liberman sounds like Shimon Peres now.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's fine, but Jewish Voice for Peace targeting vulnerable LGBT youth at the parade in New York last week was not.

The solution isn't hard. If you don't want pinkwashing, unilaterally start treating LGBT like humans. It shouldn't have anything to do with the occupation, it's no excuse whatsoever for anything less than basic humanity.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Kim Jong Il posted:

The solution isn't hard. If you don't want apartheid, unilaterally start treating Palestinians like humans. It shouldn't have anything to do with the religion, it's no excuse whatsoever for anything less than basic humanity.