Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Biplane posted:

On the one hand it sucks that their lives are probably ruined because of offensive memes in a semi-private chat, but on the other hand it is extremely my poo poo that their lives were ruined because of offensive memes in a semi-private chat.

I was pretty sympathetic until I saw that Harvard gave them the chance to write in and "explain themselves." Basically, just asking for an "I'm sorry, it won't happen again, I've learned my lesson, etc etc." Only 10 people responded badly enough that the college pulled their admission.

I would love to read those responses. I'm 99% sure at least one jackass sent a meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hyperhazard posted:

I was pretty sympathetic until I saw that Harvard gave them the chance to write in and "explain themselves." Basically, just asking for an "I'm sorry, it won't happen again, I've learned my lesson, etc etc." Only 10 people responded badly enough that the college pulled their admission.

I would love to read those responses. I'm 99% sure at least one jackass sent a meme.

I'm about 50% sure that meme was some form of "U mad bro?"

Cat Potency
Aug 13, 2006

Chairman Meow

zoux posted:

Can you imagine having to explain to your temporarily extremely proud parents why you are no longer going to the most prestigious institution in America.

Oh to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!

"What could my son have possibly shared to deserve having his admission revoked? Nothing can be that bad!"

::memes about infant rape, child suicide, and necrophilia::

"...well poo poo."

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have some friends who live in the same area of Chicago as racist Starbucks guy. According to them he's exactly as obnoxious as he seems in the video. He's been banned from restaurants and cafes for poo poo like that before, this is just the first time it's been caught on video. He also apparently wears that suit to the gym.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think my cousin-in-law is... uhh... having trouble.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

He shared, reacted to, and thanked himself for sharing his own link. And he's a flat earther. I think that's a bingo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Does sharing your own link actually do anything other than reposting it?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

oldpainless posted:

Does sharing your own link actually do anything other than reposting it?

I think it also boosts visibility to your friends

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this flat earth stuff because of irony poisoning because I just don't understand it at all

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

SpacePig posted:

:munch:

zoux posted:

Is this flat earth stuff because of irony poisoning because I just don't understand it at all

I thought maybe it was just for irony/fun too, but I think some people actually believe it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think he's just sharing a YouTube video, not sharing a previous share of it. But it is, in fact, him liking his own link, and posting a comment about how cool it is. He's also anti-vax, which probably isn't surprising to you guys.

e: The video is about someone buying a billboard on I76 in Philly saying "Research Flat Earth", and this isn't the first flat earth thing he's posted. Pretty sure he genuinely believes it, but it can be hard to tell sometimes.

e2: Check back on the status again, because someone is attempting to engage him, and he's liked his own comment on his post. Cripes.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Jun 9, 2017

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

Some people are just loving stupid, and they think they're smart.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Some people are just loving stupid, and they think they're smart.

Welcome to America.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Living in a city means you brush shoulders with people from all walks of life on a daily basis. People might do things that make you grumble, you might develop a few prejudices, but ultimately you learn to get along with others' foibles just as they get along with yours. But insulate yourself into a suburb or a rural community and you'll eventually learn that everything bad can be laid at the feet of shadowy people just over the horizon, people you'll seldom or never meet. Extrapolate that to the Internet and now you've got a world full of solipsists, who no matter how horrible the things they think or do, will always have a community backing them up.

Contrariwise, the internet allows sheltered dumb suburb kids like me to interact with people and encounter ideas that we wouldn't normally see. You just don't notice that as much because there's no point in talking about it, and it's not funny to read a PYF: Normal people on social media: Completely prosaic interactions.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Elblanco posted:

Welcome to America Earth.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

If Earth is flat then where did the aliens come from? Is space a 2D plane with other planets off in the distance on the same axis?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Volcott posted:

If Earth is flat then where did the aliens come from?

Mexico.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The devilish rogue who wrote this:

Hey, now! you're an all-star

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Elblanco posted:

Welcome to America.

Oh please the flat earth movement has members across the globe.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SpacePig posted:

I think he's just sharing a YouTube video, not sharing a previous share of it. But it is, in fact, him liking his own link, and posting a comment about how cool it is. He's also anti-vax, which probably isn't surprising to you guys.

e: The video is about someone buying a billboard on I76 in Philly saying "Research Flat Earth", and this isn't the first flat earth thing he's posted. Pretty sure he genuinely believes it, but it can be hard to tell sometimes.

e2: Check back on the status again, because someone is attempting to engage him, and he's liked his own comment on his post. Cripes.

One of my friends likes every single thing she posts or any comment she makes on FB. It's pretty funny imo and people get really cranky with her about it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Volcott posted:

If Earth is flat then where did the aliens come from? Is space a 2D plane with other planets off in the distance on the same axis?

There are a wide variety of opinions on this. Some flatties think there is no space and there are no aliens, because Bible. Some flatties think that Earth is flat but other planets exist, perhaps also flat, and that's where the aliens come from. I personally like the people who think Earth is shaped like a Pringles chip and the aliens live on the curly undersides.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SpacePig posted:

That's a "I have at least one fake FB account used to cheerlead for myself."

Does his old posts have people that don't exist commenting on it?

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

IamnotJoe posted:

Oh please the flat earth movement has members across the globe around the disc.

It's no surprise that we have people that deny climate change when there are still people who believe in earnest that the Earth is flat. I do think many people share that poo poo ironically but it's stuff like this that makes me want to beat the stupid out of people. What other obvious stuff could they try to deny just to be edgy or contrary to popular opinion?
"How do we know that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west? Just because it appears at the same location everyday? How do we know that "east" for us is the same as "east" for the rest of the world? It's all a conspiracy by Big Compass manufacturers! Wake up people!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
America is East of Japan! WAKE UP!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have some friends who live in the same area of Chicago as racist Starbucks guy. According to them he's exactly as obnoxious as he seems in the video. He's been banned from restaurants and cafes for poo poo like that before, this is just the first time it's been caught on video. He also apparently wears that suit to the gym.

Any stories they can share?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

grittyreboot posted:

Any stories they can share?

Some from Facebook. The stories are all pretty much the same: super pretentious, wears a suit literally EVERYWHERE, tries to start fights over every little slight and is especially aggressive towards black people(Faye Sbook is black).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IamnotJoe posted:

Oh please the flat earth movement has members across the globe.

They would disagree with that sentiment.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Some from Facebook. The stories are all pretty much the same: super pretentious, wears a suit literally EVERYWHERE, tries to start fights over every little slight and is especially aggressive towards black people(Faye Sbook is black).

That guy doesn't look very tough. Why is he starting fist fights that he has to know he will almost certainly get his rear end beat?

SwitchbladeKult has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Jun 10, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

They would disagree with that sentiment.

He's referencing an infamous (possibly joke) post by a flat earther

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

That guy doesn't look very tough. Why is he starting fist fights that he has to know he will almost certainly get his rear end beat?
The suit actually weighs several hundred pounds, and if anyone he fought ever gave him the chance to take it off then you would see some poo poo, I tell ya what.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

A whole lotta angry in a tiny little man.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Could that guy claim "temporary insanity" though?

From the footage I saw, he had time to do his racist yelling, walk away and then punch a completely unrelated man. Which it would seem to me to be time enough to calm down, I mean hell the guy he called a slave and then threatened to fight had time to calm down, so a temporary insanity plea wouldn't work surely?

Although I am not a lawyer, and don't know anything about American laws.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

From the footage I saw, he had time to do his racist yelling, walk away and then punch a completely unrelated man. Which it would seem to me to be time enough to calm down, I mean hell the guy he called a slave and then threatened to fight had time to calm down, so a temporary insanity plea wouldn't work surely?

The short answer is no. The insanity plea is a vanishingly rare occurrence in the US; the judge decides if you're fit to stand trial based on your mental health before anything else. That judge is very, very unlikely to decide you're competent enough for trial, and then allow a plea saying you're too crazy to be held responsible for your actions. Temporary insanity is pretty much unheard of as an actual plea, though there are a bunch of "I was upset, don't hold me accountable" defenses that crop up when a judge and jury want someone to walk. Twinkie anyone?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

there wolf posted:

The short answer is no. The insanity plea is a vanishingly rare occurrence in the US; the judge decides if you're fit to stand trial based on your mental health before anything else. That judge is very, very unlikely to decide you're competent enough for trial, and then allow a plea saying you're too crazy to be held responsible for your actions. Temporary insanity is pretty much unheard of as an actual plea, though there are a bunch of "I was upset, don't hold me accountable" defenses that crop up when a judge and jury want someone to walk. Twinkie anyone?

I think those lovely defenses are the gay/trans-panic "defenses" aren't they?

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Almost certainly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always liked jack handey's take:

If you ever go temporarily insane, don't kill someone, like a lot of people do. Instead, try to get some weeding done, because you'd really be surprised.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think it's not unlikely that this guy is suffering from psychosis/schizophrenia, so an insanity plea of some kind might be appropriate. Not trying to excuse his racism but those stories--his obsession with his suit, his aggression with strangers over minor inconveniences, and his over-the-top racism--sound like psychosis to me.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Goosed it. posted:

I think it's not unlikely that this guy is suffering from psychosis/schizophrenia, so an insanity plea of some kind might be appropriate. Not trying to excuse his racism but those stories--his obsession with his suit, his aggression with strangers over minor inconveniences, and his over-the-top racism--sound like psychosis to me.

Textbook niggerstomper58ism

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

SwitchbladeKult posted:

My guess is so he can point to said rear end beating and say: "SEE?!?!? I TOLD you those feral niggers are all violent!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Given the state of the Merican mental healthcare system, pleading insanity might lead to a worse place if you're successful.