Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Basically he's Ambush Bug, only they some times try to tell serious stories with Deadpool.

The fact that you do not know who Ambush Bug is should tell you the future of Deadpool...if he didn't get a very popular movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Burkion posted:

Basically he's Ambush Bug, only they some times try to tell serious stories with Deadpool.

The fact that you do not know who Ambush Bug is should tell you the future of Deadpool...if he didn't get a very popular movie.

He was very popular before the movie as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He was very popular before the movie as well.

So was Ambush Bug.

The caveat for both is that they were very popular with nerds and comic book readers. In the mainstream? Who the gently caress cares

Deadpool getting a movie means he's going to stick around forever. See how Wolverine changed after the X-Men movies. Before, reasonably popular comic book hero, was used here and there, but not like, one of the biggest heroes in the world. After?

Woof

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Spider-Man / Deadpool was actually really good and was about how much Deadpool envies heroes like Spider-Man who make being a pure hearted good guy look so easy. A lot of Deadpool's best stuff, imo, explores the genuine thoughts and beliefs Wade holds underneath all that crazy nonsense.

But anywho; I don't think there was any way I was going to like this video. I just want the damned episodes out, the moment for this stuff has passed. Yeah, I'm just being a grump about it.:colbert:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Deadpool was fairly popular among the crowd of comic fans that don't actually read comics but reblog their favorite pages they've seen out of context on social media.
Nobody knows who the hell Ambush Bug is because he's had like a dozen random appearances in the last 20 years, while Deadpool had a couple dozen series starring him even before the movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is because Deadpool got big as the internet started to really take shape and take off.

Ambush Bug got started back in the early 80s, where he had a few mini series of his own not unlike Deadpool's early days before Internet Memery carried him further.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Burkion posted:

So was Ambush Bug.

The caveat for both is that they were very popular with nerds and comic book readers. In the mainstream? Who the gently caress cares

Deadpool getting a movie means he's going to stick around forever. See how Wolverine changed after the X-Men movies. Before, reasonably popular comic book hero, was used here and there, but not like, one of the biggest heroes in the world. After?

Woof

Wasn't Wolverine absurdly popular before the movie as well? I don't really know my comics timeline that well or anything but I thought he was crazy huge since like the 90s.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wasn't Wolverine absurdly popular before the movie as well? I don't really know my comics timeline that well or anything but I thought he was crazy huge since like the 90s.
There were running jokes that there must've been three or four Wolverines because of how many guest appearances he made, presumably because his mangrimace sold issues

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Burkion posted:

What loving paradise reality did you live in where Deadpool wasn't a thing in the mid-2000's

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

A lot of Deadpool's best stuff, imo, explores the genuine thoughts and beliefs Wade holds underneath all that crazy nonsense.

Like how Deadpool was originally keeping Blind Al as a servant and prisoner. He would play pranks on her and he would put her in a room full of nails and broken glass if she disobeyed him. He wouldn't even lock the door, she was just so afraid of him she wouldn't try to leave until he let her out. Then just go back to lolrandumb after like nothing happened!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ryaomon posted:

What loving paradise reality did you live in where Deadpool wasn't a thing in the mid-2000's

The one where I apparently existed outside of just geek circles.

Ask some random person on the street who Deadpool is, unless they're a nerd or a geek, they won't know what the hell you're talking about.

Yeah, he was a thing in Our Circles, but we are not the main stream. We do not ensure characters live forever. The internet helped Deadpool thrive in comics due to memery, which I covered above. It's a big reason why he lasted longer than Ambush Bug, though he took way longer to actually take off.

The simple fact that what happened to him in Origins DID happen shows what a nothing of a character he was to the public at large. If they had done that to Batman, or Spider-Man or some other hero people in general gave a poo poo about, there would have been a huge outcry instead of the usual nerd rage.

You need to think outside of our general circle of influence, which is only recently expanding into the mainstream, and even still, mostly guarded and shepherd by the movies themselves.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Is Deadpool always this obnoxious? I don't keep up with the character at all, only know about him from the movie. Sometimes the jokes they come up using him are solid, but then there are those other times where it falls horribly flat and makes me wonder if he's just a gaggle of catch phrases in red and black spandex.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Is Deadpool always this obnoxious? I don't keep up with the character at all, only know about him from the movie. Sometimes the jokes they come up using him are solid, but then there are those other times where it falls horribly flat and makes me wonder if he's just a gaggle of catch phrases in red and black spandex.

Like most comic characters, it all comes down to whoever is writing him. A good writer can tell good, funny, and even sometimes heartwarming stories with him.

Bad/lazy writers will often have him end up being the most obnoxious character in the story.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't help that they apparently haven't kept up to the latest stuff, Deadpool recently got rid of that randomlol part of his persona after having been holding another villain in his head for years.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
What the gently caress does deadpool have to do with dragonball?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tbp posted:

is deadpools whole gimmick that hes like so random lol. i saw the trailer for the movie and it was like that too

he's not only "so random" he may also be described as "so random ecksdee!"

hes a rawr away from being an 15 year old emo girl.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Also the movie sucked and was a super cookie cutter superhero movie despite the objectection of "bu.. but it was rated R."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mordaedil posted:

Doesn't help that they apparently haven't kept up to the latest stuff, Deadpool recently got rid of that randomlol part of his persona after having been holding another villain in his head for years.

Was that Black Swan or someone else? Or just another, rear end in a top hat version of Wade?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was that Black Swan or someone else? Or just another, rear end in a top hat version of Wade?
He merged with Madcap after Thor struck them both with lightning so hard that they turned to ash. They eventually separate though. Madcap was represented using white boxes in his inner dialog.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Mordaedil posted:

He merged with Madcap after Thor struck them both with lightning so hard that they turned to ash. They eventually separate though. Madcap was represented using white boxes in his inner dialog.

Wait, so is that a retcon for why he's been a 4th wall breaking, monkeycheese character for 20 years, or does it only account for his personality recently?

Anyway, Deadpool can be good, mostly he's bad because he's so drat overexposed the joke well has run dry, and his movie was pretty great.

Macksy posted:

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?

But mostly this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Reinanigans posted:

Wait, so is that a retcon for why he's been a 4th wall breaking, monkeycheese character for 20 years, or does it only account for his personality recently?
Well, he's still crazy, but like, he got even more crazy after Madcap could merged with him. But this video kinda explains it better than I could, as I don't read comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFCMj0wMv2s

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

wolverine was the most popular marvel character barring maybe spider-man for a long time

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm pretty sure if you tried making Deadpool not insufferably bad you'd just wind up with either Spider-Man or Kamala Khan depending on the direction you took it in.

E: Or Lobo. Part of the problem with Deadpool is that he's the sort of character, like Lobo, that we should be laughing at, not with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hahaha, I had no idea Xander Mobus (aka the Smash 4 announcer/Persona 5 protag) voiced Deadpool in that short. Guy's got some decent range.

also his name is ridiculous

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm pretty sure if you tried making Deadpool not insufferably bad you'd just wind up with either Spider-Man or Kamala Khan depending on the direction you took it in.

E: Or Lobo. Part of the problem with Deadpool is that he's the sort of character, like Lobo, that we should be laughing at, not with.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is probably the most definitive serious take on the character and is incredibly good and genuinely touching. It shows you can do some actually great stuff with the character and make him stand out without needing to rely on the monkey cheese random.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
The Deadpool movie I think is a fantastic take on the character, where I was worried that when I first heard the movie announced they would heavily rely on the LOLRANDOM and annoying humor (which the Deadpool game did a few years back and was not great).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Hahaha, I had no idea Xander Mobus (aka the Smash 4 announcer/Persona 5 protag) voiced Deadpool in that short. Guy's got some decent range.

also his name is ridiculous

it's not his real name

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cease to Hope posted:

it's not his real name

John Alexander Luft Mobus is still pretty ridic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
two pages of anime fans who don't know anything about comic books talking about comic books is roughly as bad as two pages of comic book fans who don't know anything about anime talking about anime

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blockhouse posted:

two pages of anime fans who don't know anything about comic books talking about comic books is roughly as bad as two pages of comic book fans who don't know anything about anime talking about anime

:yeah: get out reeeee, etc. Manga usually benefits from having a single unified vision for the character from a sole/lead creator. Basically all Marvel characters are written by informal committee of "whoever is writing the book this year". That's why Captain America is a Nazi right now, because Nick Spencer specifically is a rat bastard who asks the hard hitting questions like, "What if the nazis actually won the war and all of our pitiful SJW history was a fabrication? Anyway, here's a fascist being worthy of the power of Thor"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean that's not exactly true either. The "single unified vision" is filtered through an editor and that can be highly variable on how hands off or hands on they are from person to person

for instance toriyama had very strict editors up until the buu saga while kubo tite never had an editor that told him no to the point he has an obvious analogue with the same editorproof status in bakuman

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Lest we forget that Androids 19 and 20 were supposed to be the big threats in the future timeline.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
any time you see a gag manga turn into a fighting manga (hitman reborn, medaka box) that's an editorial recommendation, the kind you can say no to but for the sake of your career you probably shouldn't

basically there is no pure unfiltered vision in any published comics regardless of language or country of origin

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

basically there is no pure unfiltered vision in any published comics regardless of language or country of origin

It's less about filters and more about consistency. American comics will have creators come on with drastically different visions from the people who proceeded them but left. There may not be any continuity of editorial/writing/art at all between two given runs. It doesn't mean that continuity is a "purer" or an "unfiltered vision" - Dragon Ball isn't exactly noted for either - just that keeping people on a work for its entire life makes it more consistent.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The most important things that happened this episode:

17 and 18 banter with Krillin.

17 reveals his and 18's age.

This:

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

StrifeHira posted:

The most important things that happened this episode:

17 and 18 banter with Krillin.

17 reveals his and 18's age.

This:

Vegeta defending Frieza to Trunks was the best part.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That Golden Freeza transformation was rad.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This arc got a better Golden Frieza transformation as a throw-away thing at the end of the episode than his actual original golden transformation in either version of RoF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I was kinda neutral on Frieza getting on the roster but that was some great rear end hype.

Also this better be the best arena ever assembled for how often they show it getting glued together one piece at a time.

• Locked thread