Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You are insane if you think trump will be their candidate in 2020. Whatever happens, that will not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oxxidation posted:

your username owns

I don't get it

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
guys what if petr is right and the president with the lowest approval rating this early in his administration who can't do anything aligned with his cabinet and can't control himself on social media and by all accounts is a complete loving moron and is likely being manipulated by foreign governments and who can't help himself from committing obvious crimes directly in front of senior government officials actually really becomes god king emperor and rules america for 1000 years of golden piss darkness

:ohdear:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
What does it mean for a court to "distinguish" a prior ruling?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

skylined! posted:

guys what if petr is right and the president with the lowest approval rating this early in his administration who can't do anything aligned with his cabinet and can't control himself on social media and by all accounts is a complete loving moron and is likely being manipulated by foreign governments and who can't help himself from committing obvious crimes directly in front of senior government officials actually really becomes god king emperor and rules america for 1000 years of golden piss darkness

:ohdear:

"Well at least the loving democrats didn't win."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hon. Bernard Sanders would have attained victory in the contest of votes

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I could see Trump not running again in 2020. He'll say he's going back to his tremendous businesses and that he did a lot of good while he was President. Then he'll spend the rest of his days rewriting his time as president in his own head, becoming increasingly mad that people aren't more grateful.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I doubt his health will last until 2020.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
These guys are RIDDLED with Russians:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...m=.4b329daad4b1

quote:

The hard-charging New York lawyer President Trump chose to represent him in the Russia investigation has prominent clients with ties to the Kremlin, a striking pick for a president trying to escape the persistent cloud that has trailed his administration.

Marc E. Kasowitz’s clients include Oleg Deripaska, a Russian oligarch who is close to President Vladimir Putin and has done business with Trump’s former campaign manager. Kasowitz also represents Sberbank, Russia’s largest state-owned bank, U.S. court records show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shocking news.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Disturbing if true. :corsair:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Is there really nobody in the entire world they can hire who doesn't have ties to Russia? God drat I wish this poo poo would just loving blow up already, this poo poo is so utterly loving ridiculous. They're such a bunch of fuckups they literally can not get anyone to help them who is not bankrolled by Russians.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't have ties to Russia :shrug:

e: pretty sure anyhow :shrug:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If he did it: Our best attempt to explain why Trump's actions were actually good.

Since there's no way to know what was going on in Trump's head when he fired James Comey, the National Review has read his mind and fairly determined what his thought process totally was:

quote:

At last, at least for your humble correspondent, this week’s big hearing brought clarity. I now believe President Donald Trump fired Federal Bureau of Investigation director James Comey because he believes Comey intentionally misled the public into believing Trump was under investigation by the FBI. There is enough support for this theory that, had the president been forthright in explaining it when he dismissed Comey on May 9, there might have been considerably less uproar. Instead, Trump dissembled, as he seems hardwired to do. He thus bought himself a debilitating special-counsel investigation, despite its being increasingly patent that there is no crime to investigate.

The best part of the article, to me, is this:

Andrew C. McCarthy posted:

Ten days later, on March 30, Trump called Comey to complain about the “cloud” over his presidency. Naturally, it had intensified since the congressional hearing, impairing his ability to govern. On this point, Comey’s testimony addresses the president’s desire to know what the FBI could help him do to “lift the cloud.” Left unaddressed, however, is what had been done at the March 20 hearing to intensify the cloud. When, in their March 30 conversation, Comey again confirmed that Trump was not personally under investigation, the president insisted — quite understandably — “We have to get that fact out.” In his written testimony, Comey observes that he and Justice Department leaders (again, not Trump appointees) were “reluctant to make public statements that we did not have an open case on President Trump.” Remarkably, the rationale offered for this reluctance was fear of the uproar that would be caused if the record eventually had to be corrected — meaning: The speculative possibility that some evidence implicating Trump in Russia collusion might someday come to light, notwithstanding that (a) in all the months and months of investigating, no signs of such evidence had surfaced, and (b) as Comey explained in answering hearing questions from Senator Marco Rubio (R. Fla.), Trump had encouraged the FBI to do the Russia investigation and let it all come out. In any event, why was this the FBI director’s call to make, rather than the president’s? If Trump is so confident about his lack of culpability in Russia’s cyberespionage that he was willing to run Comey’s “duty to correct” risk, what would have been the downside of informing the public that Trump was not under investigation — especially when any sensible person, on hearing what Comey did disclose, would assume that Trump was under investigation?

A fair point. Why shouldn't the FBI inform the public if someone isn't the subject of an open case to deter rampant speculation? Could anyone make a counterargument?

"still Andrew C. McCarthy, but when its a Democrat we're talking about posted:

It is fair enough to say that Director Comey should not have started down the wayward road of making public comments about pending investigations in which no charges have been filed. Such comments inexorably lead to the need to make more comments when new information arises. Not that the director needs advice from me, but at this point, he ought to announce that — just as in any other investigation — there will be no further public statements about the Clinton investigation unless and until charges are filed, which may never happen. As for the election, Mrs.Clinton is under the cloud of suspicion not because of Comey but because of her own egregious misconduct. She had no right to know back in July whether the investigation was closed. She has no right to know it now. Like any other criminal suspect, she simply has to wait . . . and wonder . . . and worry. There were other worthy Democrats, but the party chose to nominate the subject of a criminal investigation. That is the Democrats’ own recklessness; Jim Comey is not to blame. And if the American people are foolish enough to elect an arrantly corrupt and compromised subject of a criminal investigation as our president, we will have no one to blame but ourselves.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't see how a Republican would beat Trump in a primary.

What would a challenger even run on? Unpopular Republican policies like "I'm gonna take your healthcare and throw old people into shark pits"? "Trump is mean"? Or will they run on something Republicans don't give two shits about, like "I would be able to competently execute the office of commander-in-chief"?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

What would a challenger even run on? Unpopular Republican policies like "I'm gonna take your healthcare and throw old people into shark pits"? "Trump is mean"? Or will they run on something Republicans don't give two shits about, like "I would be able to competently execute the office of commander-in-chief"?

How about "I'm Just Like Trump Except I'm A Lot Better Looking And Smarter" :shrug:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
They DO care about capacity to govern. They just care a lot more about loving killing progressive agendas.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

VitalSigns posted:

"I will more effectively destroy the people you hate."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharkbomb posted:

I could see Trump not running again in 2020. He'll say he's going back to his tremendous businesses and that he did a lot of good while he was President. Then he'll spend the rest of his days rewriting his time as president in his own head, becoming increasingly mad that people aren't more grateful.

The ultimate Trumpism would be for him to pull out in like September 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Kekekela posted:

American case law is built retrospectively on top of itself based on the facts available at the time. New rules are developed as the old rules are applied to new facts. Exceptions or limitations to those new rules are further clarified with new facts. Distinguishing is the practice of using new facts to clarify those exceptions or limitations. A good example of this would be looking at the evolution of the Miranda warning. Dude is arrested, no one tells him that he doesn't have to talk to the cops, so he talks to the cops. The Supreme Court says that's dodgy and the establish the rule that cops have to tell a person they have the right to remain silent if they are arrested. So cops start doing that, and a new situation arises that requires a court to explain how the rule works in context of the facts. So, say a dude is arrested and the cop starts reading him the warning while cuffing him. As the cop says "You have the righ-" the suspect cuts him off and screams "I loving killed that guy." When court decides that a spontaneous admission like that is still admissible they've distinguished the previous rule.

Does that make sense?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

There Bias Two posted:

I doubt his health will last until 2020.

It's well noted there's the stress induced aging from the job of President, but is Trump actually doing the job vs. tweeting, golfing and watching tv? He's definitely up there, but his seeming lack of concern for the job might give him some staying power.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rip Testes posted:

It's well noted there's the stress induced aging from the job of President, but is Trump actually doing the job vs. tweeting, golfing and watching tv? He's definitely up there, but his seeming lack of concern for the job might give him some staying power.

I'm pretty sure he's under constant extreme stress from the perceived attacks against his ego. Remember that he doesn't react to things the way a normal person would.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

American case law is built retrospectively on top of itself based on the facts available at the time. New rules are developed as the old rules are applied to new facts. Exceptions or limitations to those new rules are further clarified with new facts. Distinguishing is the practice of using new facts to clarify those exceptions or limitations. A good example of this would be looking at the evolution of the Miranda warning. Dude is arrested, no one tells him that he doesn't have to talk to the cops, so he talks to the cops. The Supreme Court says that's dodgy and the establish the rule that cops have to tell a person they have the right to remain silent if they are arrested. So cops start doing that, and a new situation arises that requires a court to explain how the rule works in context of the facts. So, say a dude is arrested and the cop starts reading him the warning while cuffing him. As the cop says "You have the righ-" the suspect cuts him off and screams "I loving killed that guy." When court decides that a spontaneous admission like that is still admissible they've distinguished the previous rule.

Does that make sense?

Very much so, thanks!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

"I will more effectively destroy the people you hate."

Couple that to someone yougish, semi-charismatic, and not definitively a literal child rapist, and the country goes red. You'll probably get a non-trivial number of "the Democrat is just a dirty centrist anyway, so I'll vote for this guy because at least he's honest about his motives" idiot votes too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

VitalSigns posted:

"Trump is a failed leader who couldn't pass any of the legislation you care about, I'll actually do all the things he promised".

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Couple that to someone yougish, semi-charismatic, and not definitively a literal child rapist

Well if we're talking about far flung impossible hypotheticals here, sure. And if Wonder Woman and Captain America both become real and run as a joint ticket, they could change the race substantially too.

Mulva posted:

"Trump is a failed leader who couldn't pass any of the legislation you care about, I'll actually do all the things he promised".

Isn't the propaganda engine currently saying he is passing tremendously wonderful things, and even if he isn't its all the democrats faults? They'd need to be able to acknowledge flaws of a member of their party in order to run against him.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Fulchrum posted:

Well if we're talking about far flung impossible hypotheticals here, sure. And if Wonder Woman and Captain America both become real and run as a joint ticket, they could change the race substantially too.

Isn't the propaganda engine currently saying he is passing tremendously wonderful things, and even if he isn't its all the democrats faults? They'd need to be able to acknowledge flaws of a member of their party in order to run against him.

Midterms will be upon them in 2018, they will change their tune if Trump costs them a majority in the House.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Just spitballin here but how about "I Am Cool Like Barrack Obama Except I Am White" :shrug:

Yeah naw, impossible

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

Fox news has dropped from the first most popular news channel to the third most popular, britebart has lost half it's traffic, 4chan has pretty much nonstop mad at trump now, the_donald can't get 24,000 people to click a link even though they appeared to have 400,000 users. Right wing media still exists but is in a tailspin right now with the messages it's trying to sell.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
yes the president that is less than 5 months in at 37% aggregate approval and will inevitably dip below 30% approval rating before his first year is over will definitely win re-election

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fox news has dropped from the first most popular news channel to the third most popular, britebart has lost half it's traffic, 4chan has pretty much nonstop mad at trump now, the_donald can't get 24,000 people to click a link even though they appeared to have 400,000 users. Right wing media still exists but is in a tailspin right now with the messages it's trying to sell.

They need an enemy and they ain't got one.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Petr posted:

Not long enough to go from the current Republican structure of nearly-unmitigated support to somehow primarying the sitting president of their own party. That would require every republican in congress to suddenly become politically suicidal.

Edit: not even just congress, the entire party infrastructure. The heat death of the universe will happen first. We are on year 1 of 8, friend.

Petr in 1991: "George H.W. Bush has a 91% approval rating! There's no way any Republican would primary him. It's not long enough to go from the current Republican structure of nearly-unmitigated support to somehow primarying the sitting president of their own party. That would require every republican in congress to suddenly become politically suicidal.

"Edit: not even just congress, the entire party infrastructure. The heat death of the universe will happen first. We are on year 3 of 8 of George H.W. Bush's presidency, friend."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Night10194 posted:

They've got nothing to fuel the rage machine.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If he did it: Our best attempt to explain why Trump's actions were actually good.

Since there's no way to know what was going on in Trump's head when he fired James Comey, the National Review has read his mind and fairly determined what his thought process totally was:

The best part of the article, to me, is this:

A fair point. Why shouldn't the FBI inform the public if someone isn't the subject of an open case to deter rampant speculation? Could anyone make a counterargument?

And these are the 'smart, principled conservatives,' Just keep that in mind.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

There Bias Two posted:

They slew their dragon too early. Now they are over leveled and the game isn't fun anymore.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kekekela posted:

That's totally different from what's going on here because reasons.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Night10194 posted:

There Bias Two posted:

More or less. Nothing to fuel the rage machine, but plenty to fool the humiliation machine as their party flails around in DC, unable to do anything after being given almost all the levers of power.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alkydere posted:

More or less. Nothing to fuel the rage machine, but plenty to fool the humiliation machine as their party flails around in DC, unable to do anything after being given almost all the levers of power.

There's another factor, though: The Trump Scandals are interesting to the public but Fox has no idea how to handle them besides trying not to cover them, so the public wanders off to see the story elsewhere.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Another thing is that trump is not going to get better. This isn't George bush, he's not an actually smart guy playing dumb, he has a fundamental lacking of how the government operates at even a basic level. The longer this goes on, the more disastrous it will be for him and the gop.

And I have little doubt the intelligence community will do everything in their power to ruin him, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Honestly, I suspect a fair amount, though not all, of the support he's lost since January would come back in the face of the election. It might not be enough for him to win, but it wouldn't be as easy as it looks from here. Now, if the recession we have in the pipeline strikes between now and then, or he bungles a major natural disaster, he's hosed completely, as opposed to just facing a severe challenge.

• Locked thread