Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Marvel Vs Capcom is a retarded game and all of the idiots that play it professionally should be shamed in a stockade in the middle of Times Square because every match is spamming the same overpowered moves at each other in a game of Pong with a graphical interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Video games can tell a good story but they need to do it thru the environment. Cutscenes are mostly garbage
Cutscenes have their place but they need to be handled with care. Final Fantasy largely sucks with them. Metal Gear Solid is mixed, but overall tends to be good in spite of itself. The Witcher's cutscenes/dialogue traps are boring. Silent Hill's cutscenes are on the right track but could be better. Resident Evil's cutscenes are good, but not for the reason the developers think.

In other words-- if you're not entertainingly insane or adding substantial flourish to the player's environment, cutscenes should be as brief as possible.

Space Crabs posted:

Marvel Vs Capcom is a retarded game and all of the idiots that play it professionally should be shamed in a stockade in the middle of Times Square because every match is spamming the same overpowered moves at each other in a game of Pong with a graphical interface
I adore these games and :agreed:. How a pro-scene evolved around it I'll never understand, but I have to thank it anyway for keeping that series alive.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Crabs posted:

No idea if this opinion is popular or not, but I can say that it is Good and True.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Space Crabs posted:

looks like someone went online and learned that fighting games are hard

Chomp8645 posted:

No idea if this opinion is popular or not, but I can say that it is Good and True.

i thought you were cool Chomp, but I guess your actually a Chump

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

looks like someone went online and learned that fighting games are hard

Fighting games are the easiest games next to virtual novels, and some of those require more work than hitting the same 3 buttons 40 times in a row

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Space Crabs posted:

This but Smash Bros (and all fighting games).

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Space Crabs posted:

Fighting games are the easiest games next to virtual novels, and some of those require more work than hitting the same 3 buttons 40 times in a row

Here comes a new challenger!

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

SpaceClown posted:

quake started the trend of smaller groups of enemies with higher health, quake is number loving zero

like doom quake is about movement more than it is the shooting, which is where it breaks from modern shooters where you're a slow piece of poo poo crawling from cover to cover

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Space Crabs posted:

This isn't an unpopular opinion at all especially among fans of fighting games that aren't MVC. It's always been seen as a grimy nasty game series just full of broken poo poo. But if the alternative to that is the pristine e-sports darling SFV (lol) where every character is neutered (except Balrog) and picked clean of all that made them unique and interesting then MVC is the route to go.

Long and short of it though.

Rutibex posted:

mind the walrus posted:

I adore these games and :agreed:. How a pro-scene evolved around it I'll never understand, but I have to thank it anyway for keeping that series alive.

The pro scene evolved because despite what normies think the games are actually very deep and nuanced especially wrt how finely movement can be controlled. Even though MVC2 had like 6 viable characters those characters all had very specific strategies that required pin-point precise movement and execution. Of course the games aren't very popular these days since the trend in gaming has come to favor controlling less characters, playing on teams, and lowering execution barriers. Look at how popular MOBA's are compared to RTS. Fewer characters to control per player (1 so you can't say having to split your attention is unfair). Teamplay (so you can't blame yourself and only yourself for losing). Automatic optimal pathing for units (so you can't say the game has needless execution barriers).

A bright bright future for gaming indeed.

:suicide:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i don't like mvc at all but sf4 was a really fun game to play and watch and capcom completely wrecked the franchise to make a quick buck with sfv

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

i don't like mvc at all but sf4 was a really fun game to play and watch and capcom completely wrecked the franchise to make a quick buck with sfv

This isn't an unpopular opinion, but I definitely agree.

Get Tekken 7.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Meridian posted:

This isn't an unpopular opinion, but I definitely agree.

Get Tekken 7.

i did but i started a new job and i cant playit now lol. life is just endless pain and suffering in my opinion

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The big difference for me between MVC games and other fighting games is that I can watch other fighting games and still enjoy them even if I don't know the game.

Like I can follow a match of SFV or Mortal Kombat or something even if I've never played it. But MVC is just an unintelligible swirl of overdone visual effects and off screen call-ins coupled with a camera that routinely loses sight of one player. It's a poo poo viewing experience.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

i did but i started a new job and i cant playit now lol. life is just endless pain and suffering in my opinion

There is no justice.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Will fighting game enthusiasts be as defensive about their two finger games as RTS spergs were about starcraft or league of the ancients or whatever

tune in to find out

*fires 30 hadokens* :smug: watch out ladies I'm a professional

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Space Crabs posted:

Will fighting game enthusiasts be as defensive about their two finger games as RTS spergs were about starcraft or league of the ancients or whatever

tune in to find out

You think this is a game?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Twelve Batmans posted:

The pro scene evolved because despite what normies think the games are actually very deep and nuanced especially wrt how finely movement can be controlled. Even though MVC2 had like 6 viable characters those characters all had very specific strategies that required pin-point precise movement and execution. Of course the games aren't very popular these days since the trend in gaming has come to favor controlling less characters, playing on teams, and lowering execution barriers. Look at how popular MOBA's are compared to RTS. Fewer characters to control per player (1 so you can't say having to split your attention is unfair). Teamplay (so you can't blame yourself and only yourself for losing). Automatic optimal pathing for units (so you can't say the game has needless execution barriers).

A bright bright future for gaming indeed.

:suicide:
Dude...

My opinion:

Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and CRPGs like them are largely rear end-fried rear end. Their interfaces are clunky, the writing isn't terribly good, and the combat would be fun if it didn't have a difficulty curve that starts high until you figure out optimal cheese moves and breeze the rest of the game.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Space Crabs posted:

tune in to find out

lemme tell you about screen control

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Jumpoff posted:

This but Smash Bros (and all fighting games).
I can see hating the fan base. I can't understand hating the game.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd kickstarter the poo poo out of a ZZT revival

Same. What companies where you a part of

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Maya Fey posted:

This is a popular opinion I think

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

phasmid posted:

I can see hating the fan base. I can't understand hating the game.

I lived with two people who basically played nothing but that game. I would suggest games that were cheaper than 5 bucks that we could all play together and would run on a literal toaster because we all had good pc's. Nope, loving Smash. Nothing but Smash. I can only play so much of pushing the same 4 buttons.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

poverty goat posted:

Have you never read a book? They go on like that for days

Video games are a huge step forward

You should try to read something besides Game of Thrones or Harry Potter

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

SciFiDownBeat posted:

This is a popular opinion I think

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Divinity: Original Sin had a lot of fun mechanics but the loot system was such dog poo poo I stopped playing. One of the main reasons those old CRPGS were fun was the neat loot with it's own little stories you could accumulate in your quest to turn each character into a game-breaking demigod.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

SpaceClown posted:

i do occasionally. waiting for the new DF update that's gonna flesh out adventure mode a ton.

my personal reccomendation in this vein as of late is Armored Commander, which is a really great roguelite (its basically nothing like rogue) where you play as a commander of a Sherman tank in WW2. Very unique and very fun.

I checked it out. Still checking it out. Probably going to go check it out after I post

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zorodius posted:

Everything about Witcher 1 is absolutely terrible. The game has no redeeming qualities of any kind.

This but about the whole series

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This but about the whole series

Actually about all videogames

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Actually about all videogames

this but everything

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

weak wrists big dick posted:

this but everything

Quit posting popular opinions!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

maybe video games should just be textureless shapes in a void shooting at eachother and jumping on things

pure gameplay

See also : SuperHot

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
planescape torment is boring as gently caress

go read a book instead or something

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
also, soul calibur 2 and 3 are the best fighting games by a huge margin

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Neverwinter Nights, was good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Das Butterbrot posted:

soul calibur 4 is the best soul calibur. Darth Vader rules

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Back when I owned an xbox I thought Breakdown was a far more interesting and enjoyable FPS than Halo 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvNfkpM0G8

It had one specific gently caress you that's bullshit boss battle towards the end but oh well. Rest was excellent.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Blizzard has never and will never release another game as good as Blackthorne

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Das Butterbrot posted:

Xianghua looks like a friend of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Monos Bullet posted:

Wii was good and Majora's Mask is the best Zelda

unironically tho