Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Also, sort of like The Last of Us (Ellie avoiding the boost-up in Salt Lake), TLG sets up expectations of gameplay mechanics and narrative beats through a repetition of tasks...and then brilliantly executes a subversion of those player expectations throughout the entire ending.

I completely agree, which is why I thought it a shame that they didn't let me figure it out by myself but instead let the narrator tell me what to do before I even realized I was in control after a cutscene.

A Tale of Two Brothers does something similar during its ending but lets the player figure it out without any handholding pun not intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Everyone in Watchdogs 2 is a bunch of fuckin' nerds.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I absolutely agree that TLG's narrator and tooltips come within spitting distance of ruining the game, and they were definitely forced in there by Sony after most of the actual work was done. They're horribly obtrusive and graceless.

TLG was good and pretty much everything about Trico himself needs to be immortalized in the annals of game design history, from his design to his mannerisms to, yes, his AI, but the game itself isn't really as transcendent as some people make it out to be and it's weighed down by some nasty flaws.

Do get it instead of Ubisoft Game, though.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I usually go in for open world games as a nice brainless distraction, but lol @ "maker culture," two words that may rival "narrative experience" in their ability to make me roll the eyes and nope the gently caress out.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

TLG is probably a love it/hate it game as much as anything, but there are more than framerate issues and bad controls draging it down imo.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Everyone in Watchdogs 2 is a bunch of fuckin' nerds.

They sure did their research on San Fransisco.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Star Ocean 4's still geometrically worse though.

What does this even mean?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What does this even mean?

Have you not experienced the many, many, terrible elements of Star Ocean: The Last Hope?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Attitude Indicator posted:

TLG is probably a love it/hate it game as much as anything, but there are more than framerate issues and bad controls draging it down imo.

Yeah haters like you! ;p

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you not experienced the many, many, terrible elements of Star Ocean: The Last Hope?

No, I totally believe you, but that particular adverb...in that context...

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah haters like you! ;p

*Currently pooping on a physical disc of TLG and howling like Bob from twin peaks*

Even if technical issues were fixed, the game would still be left with puzzles that are easy, unengaging and repetative, and consists of 20% figuring out the solution and 80% trying to get tricos AI to do what it needs to do. Top it of with a combat system that either involves running away or sitting still and waiting for trico to deal with it, and you've got a game with some flawed fundamentals.

Vvvvvvv the AI is maybe the most impressive i've seen in a game, but it doesn't really make for a good puzzle game.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 10, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I still love the AI for all its flaws. It felt scarily like a real animal. Genuinely uncanny at times.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

'Nah'-posts are for mental subnormals.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You're better than this, Sakurazuka. I mean....a little....maybe?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

'Nah'-posts are for mental subnormals.

It's either that or an effort reply to just get 'nah'd at.

Talk is dead, give in to posting nihilism.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

E: nvm

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Talk is dead, give in to posting nihilism.

kay

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anyone else in the UK having trouble buying things through the Store? I'm getting an Invalid Credit Card error even though I'm using PayPal, which seems suspect. Retried a few times over the past hour on a whim, no luck. Got the same error on the website.

Not five minutes before the first error I successfully bought two discounted PS+ years, also on the PS4 PSN also with PayPal.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
In the US I had trouble last night. Was trying to buy Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5 for PS4 for like thirty minutes. Couldn't get it to work through directly putting in the info or through PayPal, was getting the same error.

Ended up just ordering it through Amazon it was $10 cheaper anyway!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds like the infamous 'Sony doesn't want my money' glitch, check your billing address is still correct, check your card still works other places and it's not your bank being overzealous with fraud protection, probably get used to having to buy money codes from Amazon for an unspecified amount of time, up to and including forever.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, Sony just does that. I bought the PS+ 12 month sub yesterday, couple hours later I went to go get UC4 and it was like 'nope!'

Back to buying cards until Sony randomly decides they want to take my unchanged PayPal and/or Credit Card.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea just buy some prepaid cards for a while. sony's bad about this

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ugh I want a PS4 gold really badly.. but I want a switch more? Ugh

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

well, if you already have a ps4 just buying a new one in gold is pretty dumb. on the other hand buying a switch right now is also pretty dumb.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it is dumb to buy a second ps4, but you can only play the definitive crash bandicoot on the gold ps4, and besides i travel a lot so it makes perfect sense for me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked the narrator in TLG. Definitely wish there was a way to get rid of the tooltips though.

Really I wouldn't change anything about it other than that, the frame rate (which is always over stated. I only found it noticeable like 3 times in the whole game and it doesn't affect much of anything) and maybe an emergency "push on" function for Trico for the inevitable 2-3 times you'll get stuck for like 15-20 minutes because he won't move.

One thing people don't seem to appreciate about Trico is that you aren't just triggering cutscenes. He might have a set action he needs to do but it happens organically in the gameplay and set up for some really cool immergent gameplay stuff. The game is really designed in the way that is super unique and hard to compare to another game. It's not always totally graceful about it but it's super essential to selling Trico as a real animal and the world as a real place, which makes some of the bumpy areas worth it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hello, I just got 330 bucks of gamestop cash.

Is the PS4 Slim Gold 1TB Limited Edition Something Something 250$ the best deal it'll get this summer or should I wait for their conference in case a shinier and cheaper bundle gets announced?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Get a PSPro, not PSPoor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is the PS4 Slim Gold 1TB Limited Edition Something Something 250$ the best deal it'll get this summer or should I wait for their conference in case a shinier and cheaper bundle gets announced?

Destiny 2 might have a bundle.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait till at least Sony's conference at the very latest. I figure they have to drum up something to steal Scorpio's thunder so I would expect a Pro bundle or sale.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wait till at least Sony's conference at the very latest. I figure they have to drum up something to steal Scorpio's thunder so I would expect a Pro bundle or sale.

Alright, that's fair. Hope they bundle something nice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What exactly is the Scorpio anyways? Is it basically Microsofts answer to the Pro or is it a whole new system?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think it's gonna have much better specs than the pro...? But all games being playable between the ones??

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

What exactly is the Scorpio anyways? Is it basically Microsofts answer to the Pro or is it a whole new system?

A beefier Pro, that more radically changes the system architecture. Not a new system in that no games are supposed to be exclusive to the Scorpio.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It's a whole new system. The Xbox One is one of the fastest flops in console history. I fully expect MS to drop Xbone support as soon as they've gauged the reception for the new console.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Scorpio is technically an xbox one still since it has a jaguar cpu but everything else is newer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I almost gave up on TLG because the controls frustrated me so much, but I'm glad I stuck with it because it ended up being an amazing experience with one of the best endings I've ever seen in a game