Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Acolyte's Robe. There's a dyable variant if you're a healer, which is really nice, and I wish they'd just make them disciple of magic instead of just healers. Original from the dungeon is a green color if you're good with that.

I think there's also a black version if you do the caster hall of the novice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah the Brand-new Robe is the black version and usable by any Disciple of Magic. It's great!

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, but Alisaie does play a significant role in 3.4

There was some talk about how completing coil before doing these quests would change the dialogue. Is it a big change?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Bobfly posted:

There was some talk about how completing coil before doing these quests would change the dialogue. Is it a big change?

A few lines change, it's nothing major.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Bobfly posted:

She just mentions it, nothing more.

Interestingly, if you only did part of it like me, she thanks you but mentions it was left unfinished, which is a nice detail.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Having just discovered the Palace of the Dead today I do find it to be rather nice for being able to preview a class at level 60 without leveling them that way normally. You can get up to level 60 in the Palace in an hour or 2 at most, which can give you a decent idea of how that class works at 60, if you can figure it out with how fast you level.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's good for setting up your bars and seeing what you can do, but I'd recommend going out and doing some traditional levelling for the larger part of your journey to 60 because everything dies so fast in PotD that you won't learn how to play properly.

Like, I'm lucky if I can complete a Dreadwyrm Trance cycle on Summoner in POTD on anything that isn't a boss, but in a dungeon, I'm probably going to get a full one or maybe even two in per trash pack. DT might not be the best example with it being mostly a level 60 thing but it's the first thing that came to mind.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Sade posted:

MSQ is by far your #1 source of experience from 1-50 and from 50-60. The lv50 quests (post-launch, pre-HW story) give little to no experience. That said, there are dead zones where you hit the wall just following the MSQ, and PotD (along with the occasional FATE, hunting log, and :siren:keeping up with your class quests:siren:) is great for those.

I would like to emphasize that keeping up with your class quests is super loving important. Things are often gated behind your class quests, and once you hit level 30 and get your job stone, you have to do the job quests to keep getting your job skills, as they aren't simply given to you.

As for the MSQ, things chug along quite smoothly until the 30s, and then you hit the occasional bump where you get told to come back in a level or two, and it's really bad about that in the late 40s. Save grinding out POTD on your main class for those situations. Feel free to throw your secondary classes at it, though.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Having just discovered the Palace of the Dead today I do find it to be rather nice for being able to preview a class at level 60 without leveling them that way normally. You can get up to level 60 in the Palace in an hour or 2 at most, which can give you a decent idea of how that class works at 60, if you can figure it out with how fast you level.

Once you clear floor 50 with anything, you can start right at floor 51 on subsequent runs, and be level 60 right away. As a courtesy, you should probably go in there solo first to get your hotbars and junk set up so you can actually hit the ground running instead of playing catchup for five minutes while you get everything organized. But if you forget to do it (or just don't give a poo poo), it'll work out fine anyway, because the stuff I said before about four half-assers being just fine for it still applies.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Lieutenant Mittens
New edgy look and ready for Stormblood.
"Nice mittens."

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'd pay to boost mining to 60. If only.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Madain Sari
Lapidary Club, Fencing Club, Voted most likely to Tank The Floor '17
"It's right behind me, isn't it?"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've been trying to figure out which big FF spell the RDM LB3 is going to be which is kind of hard since RDM doesn't get any higher tier spells, but it seems like it's this: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Apocalypse_(ability)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 10, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I realize this is a bit silly to ask a week before Stormblood changes hit but is there a good current guide/macro set for Dragoons? I havent played the game in 2 years and I kinda forgot everything about how to effectively play this thing on a controller.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 10, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

As someone who uses a controller, my advice is not to macro anything from gcd, especially for melee classes.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

Thanks for all the responses. I'll give a RAF code from the relevant thread a go. It sounds like PotD is fine but the regular dungeons are better, is that the general consensus? Part of the appeal of PotD is that (at least from what I could tell) it is gear agnostic, whereas for regular content I assume I'd have to gear up at least partially through quests (although I suppose I'll have to do some MSQ content anyways as it gates progression?). I suppose what I'm really getting at is: how is the leveling experience, is it enjoyable mostly solo (I'll probably end up joining a goon LS, I just have pretty irregular play times and generally can't be on voice), and what is the best way to go about it (catch-up mechanics etc). I'll almost certainly be purchasing a MSQ skip potion if I enjoy the game, so getting into all the max level ARR MSQ content isn't really a big concern for me.

Almost all content is gated by MSQ and it forks over a shitload of experience so really, just kill two birds with one stone and do it. Just bear in mind that while the story is kinda slow and derpy at first, it does eventually get better - moderate peak as you approach and first hit level 50, then another slow stretch, but once you get into the patch content leading up to Heavensward it's smooth sailing for story quality from then on out. If you're an habitual cutscene skipper you may want to consider starting to watch them after, I dunno, Ramuh or so in the level 50 content.

Level-wise, pure MSQ should handle most things. Also do class quests (they unlock abilities, they're not just purely for flavor) and probably any other quests you see with the blue variant of the quest icon with the + symbol on it (they unlock other things). If you hate questing otherwise, you can skip the miscellaneous sidequests, but if you don't mind them, they're also a good bit of bonus experience and will sometimes give you gear upgrades.

There are a few places in the leveling curve where you'll have dead patches if you ignore sidequests and do nothing but MSQ. One way around that is, of course, not ignoring the sidequests. Another good practice to get into is running the "leveling roulette" once, every day you play once you unlock it (around level 16). It gives a giant-for-your-level boost of experience the first time you do it each day. While this will probably end up with you feeling overleveled for a good chunk of the pre-50 story, there's this nasty stretch in the mid-high 40s where the MSQ just fucks off and leaves you to your own devices... but if you're a few levels ahead when you get to that point, then you can sail right past it and keep going.

MSQ and - if you do them - sidequests will also keep you up to date in decent (up through 50) to good (50-60) gear for your level. (Doesn't apply to any other jobs you level later but by that time you'll have other ways of getting gear.) If you're getting way behind in some slot (more likely if you're skipping sidequests), crafters can poo poo out good leveling gear for a goddamn pittance and will often do it for free for the good-time feelz of helping a newbie (don't buy on market board if you can help it, the markups are ridiculous).

Gear update priorities: weapon for anything (even healers, it also dictates healing throughput; the "weapon damage" stat is by far the most important number in all your gear, and even +1 or +2 amounts to quite a bit) and leftside armor for tanks (has a big impact on squishiness, make sure to pick items tagged as PLD/WAR/DRK and not generic "Disciple of War" or "All Classes"). Rightside accessories for anyone, and leftside armor for non-tanks, is a lower priority - upgrade if it's getting more substantially behind but don't sweat it too heavily.

Vil fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 10, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've been trying to figure out which big FF spell the RDM LB3 is going to be which is kind of hard since RDM doesn't get any higher tier spells, but it seems like it's this: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Apocalypse_(ability)

It should've been Ardor, which is the max-rank fire spell only Red Mages get in FFXII: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ardor

I sorta wish they'd gone with more Red Mage-y spell names overall for RDM. Like maybe Dia instead of Veraero and Dark instead of Verthunder, for example. Banish instead of Verstone and Ardor instead of Verfire, maybe. Verholy and Verflare can stick around, because who doesn't like Holy and Flare?

The job still looks super fun but Ver-everything's gonna get old

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 10, 2017

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Harrow posted:

The job still looks super fun but Ver-everything's gonna get old

Verraise should have just been "raise" and it's going to bother me forever.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

People will just omit the ver prefixes in the same way no one in the history of the game has ever typed or spoken Adloquium unless they had to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh sure, I just think it's a missed opportunity not to give them some unique spell names instead of just slapping "Ver-" in front of a bunch of standard spell names.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Plaguebringer

Female models, dunno what male versions are like.

It looks pretty nice.

If it could be dyed red, it might make a good RDM glamour, sadly it cannot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm gonna be real unoriginal with my RDM's look for a while because there's no way I'm not just going to wear the artifact armor for a long time. If I'm a Red Mage, I gotta look the part, right?

Also I appreciate that the new BLM artifact armor goes for the classic Black Mage blue robes and straw-colored hat. It's real good.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Arreis Serine
Most likely to start a name pronunciation debate
"No cat get off the keyboard those are my cooldowns!

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 10, 2017

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Tiny Baltimore
Most Likely to Throw Her Back Out Attempting a Tinyplex

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Unfortunately, Scholar AF is the same poo poo as at 50 except I guess we just completed a Masters program.

Shammoner
Jan 27, 2006

Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Dark Of Night...

Rajiya Fharis
Most likely to completely screw up the names of boss moves when raid leading
"Oh poo poo watch out it's using Triple Delta Dance"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna be real unoriginal with my RDM's look for a while because there's no way I'm not just going to wear the artifact armor for a long time. If I'm a Red Mage, I gotta look the part, right?

:same: I did the best I could for until we get the AF too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There might be a tidy little sum in Company Hats when Stormblood hits and people realise it's probably the closest thing to a traditional RDM hat before the AF.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah but the only way to get it looking half decent is Jet Black Dye. This hat was expensive. :argh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A red mage hat without red...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A red mage hat without red...

It looks like crap with red dye unfortunately.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Are tank queues really that much faster than dps? It seems like healers must be the ones with instant queues.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Injuryprone posted:

Are tank queues really that much faster than dps? It seems like healers must be the ones with instant queues.

Tanks are the least played by a pretty large margin. Roulette queues as a tank for me are generally instant. As a healer I usually have a 5-10 minute wait. DPS are a bit longer, maybe 10-20 depending on the day.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

I realize this is a bit silly to ask a week before Stormblood changes hit but is there a good current guide/macro set for Dragoons? I havent played the game in 2 years and I kinda forgot everything about how to effectively play this thing on a controller.

I don't think it's too late. Dragoon seems to have gotten off pretty lightly with changes to their core rotation transitioning to Stormblood. They're losing Feint and leg sweep to the dps role pools and those skills are also losing their damage. You wouldn't be using Feint anyway, and leg sweep is just some lost oGCD damage. Maintaining Blood of the Dragon is going to be way more important but also way easier going forward, since you'll be able to do both Wheeling Thrust and Fang and Claw back to back with the new trait coming.

Can't really help with a good controller layout though, sorry.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Injuryprone posted:

Tank queues are basically instant except for the 24 mans. Healer queues are usually instant.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How awful are DPS queues gonna be when Stormblood launches, with all the RDMs and SAMs flooding in?

I mean, I'm gonna be one of those RDMs, but if you've been wanting to level a tank or healer, you're gonna have plenty of groups happy to have you.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

How awful are DPS queues gonna be when Stormblood launches, with all the RDMs and SAMs flooding in?

I mean, I'm gonna be one of those RDMs, but if you've been wanting to level a tank or healer, you're gonna have plenty of groups happy to have you.

DPS queues will likely get better if you're not playing SAM or RDM. With a huge pool of dps players not queueing for Stormblood content with the initial rush, there'll just be less people in front of you all the time.

Queues for SAM and RDM when they reach Stormblood content will be terrible, because the rush of tanks and healers will be past it.

Once everyone's maxed out queues will be like what they are now.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 10, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Harrow posted:

2+ hours for ldr, once you get to 60 and you need to queue for specific dungeons for quest reasons those probably won't be longer than an hour. This is my guess. Although if everyone just goes to potd, ldr might not be so bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It looks like crap with red dye unfortunately.

It's not too bad but yeah, not ideal.

I'm just going to save the good stuff for when I pass the test (aka get 70)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

Worse, but not that much worse tbh. I really think people are wildly overestimating how much impact RDM and SAM will have on the overall distribution of roles.

For the most part, the people who like to tank and heal are still gonna tank and heal. Proportions won't change that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'll be bad for the launch window I think, especially in EA and the first couple of days of official release.

Then people will get bored of the new classes or decide they don't want to play at all and the amount of SAM/RDM will drop off a bit.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 10, 2017

• Locked thread