Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Levi one is good at showing the kind of badass Erwin is, and why Levi is loyal to him and the Survey Corps.

Now is probably a good time to watch them for anyone who hasn't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The best OVA is obviously the Jean one.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So was this flashback Ymir living in a different civilization from the Scouts/Erin people?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 5, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So wish this flashback Ymir living in a different civilization from the Scouts/Erin people?

Seems like it.

Without spoiling anything, how does the manga fair critically with later story lines? Is it still good? Convoluted? Both?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Seems like it.

Without spoiling anything, how does the manga fair critically with later story lines? Is it still good? Convoluted? Both?

Most people I've seen like it a lot, although I've come across a few people who think it gets dumb.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Seems like it.

I've read to the latest chapter with an official English translation, and I've loved it all the way through. I would also say that the plot doesn't get convoluted, the world and plot have been planned from the beginning to make reveals the result of a hard won fight by the characters. If this season approximates to a fourth story arc, while there are flaws and material to argue about in the forth and fifth arcs (I'm in the camp of people who like them both, and think the flaws with pacing and storytelling people complain about are minor, especially when you can read all the chapters in a row and not have to wait a month in between), and people do, but the majority of people I've seen stick with the story and enjoy it. We're in approximately the start of the eighth story arc in the manga now which and everything is very :tviv:, and starting in the seventh arc, I've barely seen anyone complain about the plot and consider ragequitting, if at all.

Bascially, if I were to give it a numeric score from 1-10, with 10 being my score for this arc and the female titan arc, the absolute lowest score I would give any parts of the story would be a 7.5 (which would correspond to, say, having to watch another loving episode of that Trost battle), which would be the exception, not the norm.

Tl;dr The next two arcs generate more complaints than other ones, but don't mistake that for a nosedive in quality. It's good all the way through, and in my opinion, the absolute opposite of convoluted.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Each mystery leads to the next.

The series opens with the question: What are the titans?

Eren's titan power binds him to that mystery with the question: How did he obtain it?

It leads to the appearance of other shifters: Why are they here? Where do they come from?

The next arc answers two of those questions.

The one that follows answers the other two.

But what is truth and what is shrouded in myth?

And yet, the biggest mystery remains: removed from blissful and comforting ignorance, what is a man to do?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is one part that caused a real conflict between readers but ultimately it's been fantastic all the way through. If they don't announce another season soon after this one ends though, I'd say jumping in to the manga would be a good idea. Don't want to run another few years where someone could spoil poo poo for you.

One could say the Bert and Ernie reveal was a pretty big bombshell. But compared to them, there's some colossal reveals coming up. :smug:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The reveals show a distinct sense of planning that is actually very rare in newbie storytellers. Dude really loving knew what he was doing, which gives way to a very coherent story. It gets bigger and more complex, but in ways you can still figure out. (Mistakes in the actual storytelling aside. There were some bits where the perspective changed a bit too hard and you'd lose your bearings for a bit)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
REINER mentioned that Erin is possibly some 'confluence'. Is this the correct translation of whatever word he actually meant? Seemed wierd.

I thought he also mentioned Coney could be the other one. Are these tribes of titans that Reimer and Bert belong to a splinter from a larger group?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The subs I read said coordinate iirc.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Coordinate is probably the correct translation, yeah.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Gantolandon posted:

At first, it's a normal retrospection - we see Dr. Jaeger preparing the syringe and giving his son an injection. From there, we only hear his voice, screaming his last words. Given that the serum seems to transform Ymir and her compatriots pretty immediately, it's possible Grisha speaks to Eren's titan form - and gets eaten, which gives his son a way to reverse the transformation.

I have mixed feelings about that idea. I can't shake the feeling that there has to be something special about Eren, in particular, to justify all of the hullabaloo about his existence by both known factions, and now that we've got Ymir, Bert, Ernie, Annie, Conniemom, etc... just the ability to shift back and forth between a human and a not-particularly-strong titan doesn't really do that. As such... the idea that Eren was given the same serum as Ymir and every other shifter that we know doesn't really do it for me. On the other hand, Eren's self-important and entirely unjustified smugness is always good for a laugh, especially when it gets slapped back down. That being said... I apparently barely remembered that scene from ep9, so thanks for the link. It's definitely interesting, given current context

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also Ymir where the gently caress was she that has guns, and ready access to titan serum?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also Ymir where the gently caress was she that has guns

I know it's been a couple years but

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it was a plot point ages ago that they have guns but don't use them because of how ineffective they are against titans

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They're low-penetration single-shot affairs IIRC, so pretty much useless against titans.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I always thought that was a real neat part about the show, and it shows the Author thought some of this stuff out well.
The Technology they have access to in a lot of ways seems "primitive" but gunpowder is totally a thing, it was just never developed farther past Cannons and Single Shot Rifles due to them being useless against Titans.
I think the point of Monkey Trouble showing surprise at how innovative the 3DMG was, it shows they had to develop technology in a really narrow direction just to survive.

It's a cool little point of lore.

Green Tea Erotica fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 5, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Mindless Titan Ymir digging a hole and getting buried by the earth and passage of time is some of the saddest and best imagery yet on this show.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've been wondering what the end credits have been alluding to, with titans just springing up from the ground. Based on this week's episode, it's possible a lot of other people were forcibly punished with titanism and a lot of them ended up exactly where she went, so hopeless and depressed they crawled into a hole hoping for death. Or it could be some sort of long-term survival instinct that comes with the titan form. I think this is the first time we've seen a titan look emaciated.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
(Reposting here for those that don't follow the manga thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwfwjEroBXc

The full version of the opening came out. The music sometimes calls back to the previous two openings when the lyrics are referencing related subjects, which is a cute touch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kyte posted:

The full version of the opening came out. The music sometimes calls back to the previous two openings when the lyrics are referencing related subjects, which is a cute touch.

Do the other two opening tracks have official full versions? I'm bad at searching for anime songs and only am finding bad fan mixes that just loop the show intros.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 7, 2017

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

I know it's been a couple years but

Oh right. duh.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do the other two opening tracks have official full versions? I'm bad at searching for anime songs and only am finding bad fan mixes that just loop the show intros.

Well you're just in luck because I'm a nerd who's been interneting anime mp3's since the late 90's, and love the music in this show..
:eng101: Most anime shows have CD versions of tv openings and closings that are 3 minutes +, opposed to the 1:30 minutes a typical op/end is. There are full versions of all the Openings and endings of season 1, I'll post em here for anyone who wants them.

Opening 1: Guren no Yumiya (also on Spotify):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn7dCgtwX2c

Opening 2: Jiyuu no Tsubasa (also on Spotify, oh God please consider listening to it because Youtube audio quality always makes me cry):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hu446ApWaY

Opening 1: Utsukushiki Zankoku na Sekai (Looks like this is an official upload, so the sound quality is very good):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Y92x4E-dQ

Endings 2: Great Escape: (Also looks like an official Youtube upload)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2YSzzXb2I4

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks!:D

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Kyte posted:

Aw, darn, it's blocked for now. Thanks for posting though, I've been waiting for the full version, and I'm not currently following the manga thread because I try to hold out for the English official release, which is generally one week later than the fan translations, and people are too good at putting their heads together and correctly guessing what will happen, and I'd like the story to be a surprise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Catalina posted:

Aw, darn, it's blocked for now. Thanks for posting though, I've been waiting for the full version, and I'm not currently following the manga thread because I try to hold out for the English official release, which is generally one week later than the fan translations, and people are too good at putting their heads together and correctly guessing what will happen, and I'd like the story to be a surprise.

Found this mirror that isn't blocked here in the US: https://youtu.be/mM9eplEO6JM

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
btw, if you're interested in grabbing anime soundtracks, try googling hikari no akari.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe I never realized there was an akari in there.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So if the city Ymir is from also has some sort of cult related to the royal bloodline, how come their priests wear the same outfit as the wall priests? Did they both split off from the same religion? Is one a corruption of the other? Do they have anything to do with the religious cannibalism as shown in the end credits?

If the titans gain their shifting powers from eating some unknown subgroup of people (or else every titan could shift), is the religious cannibalism some sort of reference to that? I had first assumed it was a ritual where a sacrifice stood in for a long-dead religious leader and the cannibalism had some sort of "eat of his flesh" meaning, if not regular human sacrifice as means of religious/social compliance, but now I'm not sure. Does the sacrifice stands in for the first titan (the giant lady who's shown twice, once defaced?) and cannibalism is presumed to give the eaters titan powers? A way of being spiritually closer to the first titan?

Why do I think that none of this will be answered this season?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

I'm not a manga reader but I read to the end of this arc and nothing story-wise gets resolved whatsoever but don't worry because it's real crazy and worth it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Because

quote:

Spring Season 2017: they don't make it to the basement in this season

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Oh man, before watching the credits to episode 9, I didn't realize the ED was entirely in English. Somehow it's a lot creepier that way. Good ED.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Found this mirror that isn't blocked here in the US: https://youtu.be/mM9eplEO6JM

Aw yeah, thank you! :rock:
I love this series, it makes me feel excited for my animes like I was 16 years old again.

Also, the end credits, I can tell you that what will be answered this season will be jack and poo poo. They're even trolling us manga readers with some 10% of the content in the opening and ending, as we struggle to understand if Moneky Trouble is running with dinosaurs for a reason, or it's just there because it's awesome, or both.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Well, that was a very short and action-packed 24 minutes, but in the grand scheme of things nothing much happened. Pretty clearly, Everything that Ymir said to Historia was a lie, about "Stealing the power of titans from Bert/Ernie", and the only thing that we learned for sure (ie. that Bert, too, regrets his actions in breaking down the walls and killing hundreds of thousands of people) was already strongly suspected. Erwin says something about "Humanity has no future without Eren" which is fascinating... what does he know/suspect? I was legitimately pissed off when the twist happened, and rather suspect that I'll be more pissed off next week. I don't particularly care about the titan who bit their mom in half... we've seen a bunch of titans bite a bunch of people in half so I just can't get worked up about it any more. Sure, it's a good chance for Hannes to "redeem himself", but I don't really care about him anyway. gently caress these idiots, and jumpcut back to Connie's village please.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

To everyone who actually cares about characters and their motivations, I suggest watching the first and a half episodes of the first season before watching the next (and last) episode.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
We finally got to my favorite part.

http://i.imgur.com/boQHIDV.png

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
God drat that was one hell of an episode. Even having read the manga that was loving amazing.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Here is a storytelling device that your brain has picked up on by now, but you might not have fully grasped it yet. Becomes something to talk about with the reveal of Reiner and Berthold. Eren, Mikasa, Armin are each an independent aspect of humanity and can't live without one another. Each represent the Soul, Body, Mind. Eren is the spirit. The other two can survive without him but won't have goals or really be alive. Mikasa as the body that protects the spirit and mind. Armin as the very obvious mind who solves problems and philosophizes. The infiltrator trio of Reiner, Berthold, Annie....embody the very same aspects just in a different way. If you look close enough, this motif goes throughout the entire story. The three walls. The three military branches....

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

That was a fun loving episode.

• Locked thread