Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ethanol posted:

In terms of maximum portability keyboard cases... can anybody point out some good 10.5 cases. I really like the new full sized Apple one but that price....

Just get the Apple one. It's surprisingly good, and a much better compromise than the Logitech Creates that are a huge pain to take on and off and really heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I hope Apple makes a Smart Case for the new iPad. I have one on my Air 2 and it's fantastic. The Smart Cover just seems like such a downgrade.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
RIP the dream of a decent keyboard case for the 9.7 Pro, I guess. Maybe I should just get a standalone Bluetooth keyboard instead.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The Smart Keyboard is great. Wish it was backlit but it's light and good and I use mine all the time. You can probably get one at a discount as people get their new iPads.

I'll be putting my 32gb plus smart keyboard +back over up soon over on SA mart for a good price.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

RIP the dream of a decent keyboard case for the 9.7 Pro, I guess. Maybe I should just get a standalone Bluetooth keyboard instead.

The Logitech case doesn't do it for you?

Its worked well for me. Provides some protection with a backlit keyboard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love the Smart Keyboard on my big pro.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah my only gripe about the Smart Keyboard is that it isn't backlit. I am a caveman who has to look at the keys so that would be a big plus for me.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I have the 9.7 and both the Logi Create and the Apple Smart Keyboard (all of which is currently up on Swappa as I've already ordered my 10.5, btw :).

The Logi is just too much. I don't like the bulk and weight it adds to the tablet itself, and it's a motherfucker to get on and off regularly. Since I only like the keyboard attached when I'm actually using it to type on a desk or table (which is only about 30% of the time), I like being able to really easily rip the Smart Keyboard cover on and off since I like the cover for screen protection when not in use. And I might just be weird, but I really enjoy typing on that thing, the weird fabric keycaps are enjoyable to me.

That said, really looking forward to the "full-size" nature of the 10.5 Smart Keyboard as the 9.7 is just a wee bit cramped for fast/long use. I'm really hoping that the 10.5 is the total sweet spot iPad for me. I _LOVE_ the 9.7, but find landscape view with two apps just a bit cramped.

We'll find out Tuesday when it all shows up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

smr posted:

I have the 9.7 and both the Logi Create and the Apple Smart Keyboard (all of which is currently up on Swappa as I've already ordered my 10.5, btw :).

So what would you tell a money-strapped student or something? I don't know if I want to get a keyboard case because I kind of like my current Moko case and everyone seems to gripe about the keyboard cases, so I'm sort of leaning toward the $2 tablet stand and a cheap Bluetooth keyboard.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Has Apple provided any guidance on how well non-Pros will run iOS 11? I'm thinking of getting an iPad Mini 4 for reading.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

So what would you tell a money-strapped student or something? I don't know if I want to get a keyboard case because I kind of like my current Moko case and everyone seems to gripe about the keyboard cases, so I'm sort of leaning toward the $2 tablet stand and a cheap Bluetooth keyboard.

Cash-strapped student, I'd recommend the new regular iPad and yeah, whatever Bluetooth keyboard pisses you off least. That'll be 95% of the performance for the next two years at a fraction of the cost. Everything extra above that package is firmly in the "nice to have" camp, which, being older and not cash-strapped, I'm willing to pay for.

But the base iPad is a shockingly good deal for its price. Before I upgraded to the Pro I used an Air 2 with that MS Universal Bluetooth keyboard and it was absolutely fine.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

smr posted:

That said, really looking forward to the "full-size" nature of the 10.5 Smart Keyboard as the 9.7 is just a wee bit cramped for fast/long use. I'm really hoping that the 10.5 is the total sweet spot iPad for me. I _LOVE_ the 9.7, but find landscape view with two apps just a bit cramped.

Just don't expect a big difference. It's 17 % more area and 8 % more diagonal. If my 10.3" Pixel C is a guide it's subtly bigger and a bit more comfortable and feels less cramped, but not mind-blowingly so. That's why I took the leap to 12.9, to be able to read magazines, comics etc. without zooming, despite the weight and size (12" might be the best compromise between size and space, but that simply doesn't exist).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I just reset my iPad to try to resolve some springboard freezes I was experiencing. I made sure I had a current iCloud backup, then went to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings, and it asked me to enter my iCloud password to remove the iPad from my iCloud account. I guess this must have deleted the iCloud backup, because when I selected "Restore from iCloud backup" during the setup process, it said it couldn't find any backups, and when I checked my iCloud account from my phone, there was no longer a backup of my iPad listed there. What the gently caress happened? Did I do something wrong?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Decius posted:

Just don't expect a big difference. It's 17 % more area and 8 % more diagonal. If my 10.3" Pixel C is a guide it's subtly bigger and a bit more comfortable and feels less cramped, but not mind-blowingly so. That's why I took the leap to 12.9, to be able to read magazines, comics etc. without zooming, despite the weight and size (12" might be the best compromise between size and space, but that simply doesn't exist).

Yeah, I know; but even that little bit will help. I don't want to go to the 12.9 because the 9.7 is about the max weight I want to hold with one hand for any length of time and the larger form factor would be unwieldy for that, too. The vast majority of time I use this thing it's one-handed and keyboard-free, so the slightly bigger keyboard will be just bonus.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Will my current 12.9 Smart Keyboard Cover work with the new 12.9 Pro?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

beergod posted:

Will my current 12.9 Smart Keyboard Cover work with the new 12.9 Pro?

Yes.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me
So did Apple change anything about the Pencil hardware-wise, or is it still the same as before?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

smr posted:

Cash-strapped student, I'd recommend the new regular iPad and yeah, whatever Bluetooth keyboard pisses you off least. That'll be 95% of the performance for the next two years at a fraction of the cost. Everything extra above that package is firmly in the "nice to have" camp, which, being older and not cash-strapped, I'm willing to pay for.

But the base iPad is a shockingly good deal for its price. Before I upgraded to the Pro I used an Air 2 with that MS Universal Bluetooth keyboard and it was absolutely fine.

I already bought the 9.7 Pro last winter. I'm just cheaping out on accessories because all the news is "this case woulda been nice but..." and "smart connector is pointless" and so on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

Has Apple provided any guidance on how well non-Pros will run iOS 11? I'm thinking of getting an iPad Mini 4 for reading.

Well, Apple is going to always say any device that gets an update will work fine with it. In practice, that's mostly been an issue with new features not working right on old devices, with a side downside of older devices not getting every newer feature.

The Mini 4 still isn't that old, and most of iOS 11 is really tweaks, there isn't anything groundbreaking new that would push a device (like two apps in screen) that I saw. So, Should be fine.

I own a Mini 4 and I don't need to upgrade, so I'll be bitching here if it is bad in anyway.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

cowtown posted:

So did Apple change anything about the Pencil hardware-wise, or is it still the same as before?

Still the same.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Weedle posted:

I just reset my iPad to try to resolve some springboard freezes I was experiencing. I made sure I had a current iCloud backup, then went to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings, and it asked me to enter my iCloud password to remove the iPad from my iCloud account. I guess this must have deleted the iCloud backup, because when I selected "Restore from iCloud backup" during the setup process, it said it couldn't find any backups, and when I checked my iCloud account from my phone, there was no longer a backup of my iPad listed there. What the gently caress happened? Did I do something wrong?

Do you have 2 factor authentication enabled? Try disabling it and then trying to restore the backup again. There's a bug with it that causes iCloud backups to not show up sometimes.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Does anybody know what exactly you can store in the file system on iOS 11? Can I like, for example, download an MP3 through safari and find it there, which will make it open in the Music app? Or is it just for documents? I haven't really read much into what iOS 11 will offer.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Does anybody know what exactly you can store in the file system on iOS 11? Can I like, for example, download an MP3 through safari and find it there, which will make it open in the Music app? Or is it just for documents? I haven't really read much into what iOS 11 will offer.

You can store whatever, but you won't necessarily be able to play files using the music app unless Apple updates it to allow that.

Hilariously enough, the files app will apparently play flac files, while the music app still doesn't support them :v:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

I already bought the 9.7 Pro last winter. I'm just cheaping out on accessories because all the news is "this case woulda been nice but..." and "smart connector is pointless" and so on.

Ah, gotcha. If you already have a bluetooth keyboard you like, stick with it. The Smart Keyboard Cover is nice and all, I like not having to faff about with bluetooth and it serves as a nice cover for the device as well, but it's not $150 nice if money's an issue and you already have a solution that works.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

skull mask mcgee posted:

You can store whatever, but you won't necessarily be able to play files using the music app unless Apple updates it to allow that.

Hilariously enough, the files app will apparently play flac files, while the music app still doesn't support them :v:

It really would be nice if I could just connect to my file server, copy my /mp3 folder across to the ipad filesystem, then play them in the music app (or another one of my choice). That sort of flexibility and choice could actually allow it to replace a laptop.

Don't get your hopes up.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I know it's early days but does anyone know of a 3rd part equivalent to the Silicon Case for the 10.5 inch Pro? I used the official Apple one on my 9.7 and really liked it. Bit miffed as to why they're not making one, at least for now. I need something that protects the back and has room for me to attach a Smart Cover / Smart Keyboard.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

wooger posted:

It really would be nice if I could just connect to my file server, copy my /mp3 folder across to the ipad filesystem, then play them in the music app (or another one of my choice). That sort of flexibility and choice could actually allow it to replace a laptop.

Don't get your hopes up.

You can already import music from iCloud Drive and other sources into VLC so there's clearly no technical limitation preventing what you're describing. There's just not much demand for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tenterhooks posted:

I know it's early days but does anyone know of a 3rd part equivalent to the Silicon Case for the 10.5 inch Pro? I used the official Apple one on my 9.7 and really liked it. Bit miffed as to why they're not making one, at least for now. I need something that protects the back and has room for me to attach a Smart Cover / Smart Keyboard.

Searching on Amazon brings up pages and pages of them.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Endless Mike posted:

Searching on Amazon brings up pages and pages of them.

Serious answer - can you link me to one or two? Everything I find either has a lovely built-in stand or doesn't have a cutaway for the Smart Cover / Smart Keyboard.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ars has their review out of the new 10.5".

Basically, whenever iOS 11 arrives, the new Pros will make the strongest case yet for replacing a laptop so long as your use case doesn't involve coding and video/audio editing. Their biggest gripe is that iOS 11 isn't out now to really show off the power/versatility of the Pros.

They noted specifically that the A10X Fusion chips perform better than the Intel CPUs of Macbooks, and if not best at least match, the performance of the base model Macbook Pro. Pretty impressive stuff.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Are the new pros in stock at the Apple Store today?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If only there was a website or app that might tell you such a thing.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
It doesn't though. It says nothing about in store stock.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

beergod posted:

It doesn't though. It says nothing about in store stock.

Tomorrow.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Huh they randomly upgraded my shipping to one day air and my 10.5 is now coming tomorrow

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hello from the future.

Apple Store app here in Australia allowed for purchase and pickup this morning. Off to get mine soon :dance:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my 10.5 comes tomorrow

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
For those that had the generation before it and get this new one, can you please post an honest compare and contrast?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GoldfishStew posted:

For those that had the generation before it and get this new one, can you please post an honest compare and contrast?

I mean, mine arrives tomorrow and I'll post if I notice anything but so far from what I've seen in the reviews are:

4 gigs of RAM and a faster processor
Slightly heavier than the 9.7 but not by much
Perfect compromise between the large screen and portibility
Feels kind of incomplete until iOS11 comes out

Personally I'm curious to see if it'll have a different version of iOS10 for the 120hz display/promotion stuff. It'll loving suck of we have to wait for 11 to get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I know about that stuff but I mean like day to day, hands on difference. I am pretty much decided to upgrade just in terms of the flip value factor, but want to know if I should expect to see a difference in real world use.