Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

No purchase here yet, but i am seeking recommendations! I am looking to record bass and all kinds of electric guitar at home and cannot play through amps because i live in a small apartment with walls made of cardboard. Anybody tried amplitube or guitar rig? Any recommendations?

I bought Amplitube solely because of their Sunn 1200S model. It sounds really good clean and I can send pedals into it. Nothing else sounds that great but it IS good for practicing. I'm currently using an Orange Micro Terror headphone out into my Focusrite Solo interface until my Verellen Meatsmoke preamp arrives at which time would you like to buy an Orange Micro Terror and 8" speaker?

Oh, I play sludgy bullshit if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

No purchase here yet, but i am seeking recommendations! I am looking to record bass and all kinds of electric guitar at home and cannot play through amps because i live in a small apartment with walls made of cardboard. Anybody tried amplitube or guitar rig? Any recommendations?

I picked up a Focusright Scarlet 2i2 not too long ago and have been pretty happy with it. I've mostly been using GarageBand's modeled amps/cabs/fx which are surprisingly good but also tried the Amplitube free/demo version and liked it. There's a bunch of Amplitube vs GuitarRig (vs a third one I don't remember) comparisons floating around you could Google for but I'm pretty sure both also have a demo version so you can do your own comparison and see what you prefer before you start throwing wads of money at either.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Thanks for the tips!

I guess i wasn't that specific in my original post. I have already tried the demos of both amplitube and guitar rig. Both do pretty much everything I would ever need and more, so I was just curious if people here had used them.

I've sort of been leaning toward guitar rig, because i find the interface a bit easier to work with, but if everyone here were unanimously like "no it's total rear end" then I would probably reconsider. Haha!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I use Amplitube a bunch and I love it. Specifically the Fender pack is pretty great. The Orange pack is pretty cool too.

Most of the pedals leave a bit to be desired IMO - I'm actually thinking of getting a reamp box to make it easier to inject my physical effects pedals into my recordings.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thanks for the tips!

I guess i wasn't that specific in my original post. I have already tried the demos of both amplitube and guitar rig. Both do pretty much everything I would ever need and more, so I was just curious if people here had used them.

I've sort of been leaning toward guitar rig, because i find the interface a bit easier to work with, but if everyone here were unanimously like "no it's total rear end" then I would probably reconsider. Haha!

I have found the distortion "pedals" in amplitube to be laughably bad. I asked the Wampler guys about the model of their Pinnacle pedal and they gave me the most damning faint praise "we didn't like it at first but they came back with another version. It's not going to sound as good as the real thing since we want to sell pedals."

I'm a broken record about modelers trying to get the sound of a Big Muff right, the state of things is really bad. I haven't heard a Kemper, though, so maybe it nails it.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New project guitar

Lotus copy of a Fender H2 Bullet that needs a lot of work. Pots are junk, they pass sound, but that's about it. Pickguard cracked and warped, pickups do at least make noise, 3-way switch works, mini-toggle appears to be a coil split and seems to work. Neck has a healthy backbow, need to see if the truss rod works, and luckily the bullet is in good enough shape to still fit an allen wrench into it. Bridge saddle adjustment screws rusted in place, saddles are pot metal crap anyway. Tuners work, but are the typical cheap crap found on 80's Korean guitars.

Rumor has it the pickups are likely Dimarzios, and the guitar itself is a Japanese one because of the bullet truss rod. Tuners scream Korean to me, so I kind of doubt it.

First job is to strip it down and see if I can get the neck straight. Then I'll replace the pots, probably the bridge saddles, clean it all up and see what I've got.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I like to plug into a Tech21 VT Bass, run that into a compressor, and then into a Line in on my recording interface. I have gotten a great tone out of Amplitube but to be honest I can't get the latency low enough not to throw off my playing.

The VT Bass is fantastic.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I spent all my amp and speaker money on a bass rig, so I use guitar rig and amplitube for my 6 string stuff. (e: I'm not primarily a 6 string player and I don't know that much about amps in general, so take my opinion here with a gran of salt).

Guitar Rig is somewhat easier to use for me, and in my opinion has better sounding effects, which isn't saying that much because the pedals in amplitube all sound like rear end to me. For me, the amp models mostly sound fine but I spent a lot of time tweaking settings to get them there*. My favorite models are Citrus (Orange AD-30 I think) for crunch stuff and Cool Plex (some kind of vintage marshall) for cleans.

I don't have all the bits and pieces for Amplitube, but my friend has the fender amp pack, and in my opinion the amp models sound a little better and don't require as much tweaking to get what you want out of them. I still can't make a reverb/delay effect sound like what I want in Amplitube at all, and the other effects sound even worse than that to me. But the amps on their own are pretty nice. The bassman one sounds good to me. Not really "like an actual bassman", but yeah, pretty good.

Between the two, I'd recommend Guitar Rig just because I find it much easier to use. I don't know if the trial/free version has it, but the a/b split/mix thing it does goes a long-rear end way to making the effects more useable.

Both kinda suck for high gain sounds. That isn't really my thing so I can't tell you why. A dude I know who plays metal recommends Positive Grid Bias for software modelling of higher gain stuff, so you might want to check that out too.

e2: And for real, nothing in these programs is gonna sound like the real thing. But to me they seem 100% fine for "I live in an apartment or a house with other people in it and I want a sound that's close to XYZ but doesn't drive everyone else mental, cause plaster to fall from the ceiling, or make the cops show up".

*One thing I'd recommend if you're using something like Guitar Rig is to figure out which plain amp you like most, close the sidebar with all the options in it and close or minimise every other thing you can so you're not tempted, then use just the amp and cab sim controls to get a sound you're happy with, just like you would with a real amp. Once I did that I stopped spending 10 minutes loving around re-ordering and tweaking effects for every 5 minutes of playing guitar.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 26, 2017

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Picked up this 15 year old Vox wah pedal on the Australian equivalent of Craigslist for $15.

Seller complained that it cut out and didn't work very well.

Before:

After:

Opened it up, removed a literal handful of cat hair from it, stripped it down and washed the case, cleaned the pot, switch, and jacks, and reassembled.

Now it's working perfectly and looking almost as new. I saved about $100 over buying a new one, and for another couple of dollars, I'll add a true bypass switch and a power LED.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Crossposting from guitar thread. Just got done with pickup swap on a MIJ 1994 Squier Series strat. Went with Hot Rails / Cool Rails / Distortion SD pickups, 500k pots and .022 cap. The Hot Rails are super dark, the Cool Rails make some nice vintage tones especially with the volume dialed back, and the Distortion is classic metal. Double locking Floyd Rose has its pain points but setup and tuned you can beat the poo poo out of the whammy bar and stay in tune.

Noticed the acoustic sound of this particular strat is great. Lots of mids and sustain. My MIM 2006 60s Classic Series is a bit boomier, and my Am Std Tele is bright and sharp. Fun how they all have their own character.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Look what arrived from California today. Needs some fret work for a couple of high frets but it is at 1.2 mm at the 12th fret right now so it is not bad and it will get even lower after the work is done. I know the look isn't for everyone since it isn't traditional and we know how archtop guys usually like their archtops (myself included) but I really dig this and the upper fret access is great.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rio posted:

Look what arrived from California today. Needs some fret work for a couple of high frets but it is at 1.2 mm at the 12th fret right now so it is not bad and it will get even lower after the work is done. I know the look isn't for everyone since it isn't traditional and we know how archtop guys usually like their archtops (myself included) but I really dig this and the upper fret access is great.

That looks amazing and, while offsetting every body is growing a wee bit tiresome, I like that it's not staid.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Built a fuzz factory clone from a kit I picked up off of Etsy. I had built one years ago but never boxed it up and lost it in a move. This kit actually came out cheaper than sourcing everything myself and had some nice germanium transistors included.

Picked this guy up at a goodwill. Pretty sure it's a Suzuki from looking at pictures of others online. Nothing amazing about it but cleaned it up and slapped a new set of strings on it and have been dicking around with it.
Now I need to get a pick up on it somehow and combine the two.:getin:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Thumposaurus posted:

Built a fuzz factory clone from a kit I picked up off of Etsy. I had built one years ago but never boxed it up and lost it in a move. This kit actually came out cheaper than sourcing everything myself and had some nice germanium transistors included.

Picked this guy up at a goodwill. Pretty sure it's a Suzuki from looking at pictures of others online. Nothing amazing about it but cleaned it up and slapped a new set of strings on it and have been dicking around with it.
Now I need to get a pick up on it somehow and combine the two.:getin:

What is that, an A mandolin? I need to practice mine more, I'm so bad at chop chords.

I also want to build another pedal, but I haven't found many "mini" pedals that would work well for bass. A tubescreamer clone would be fun, but probably not practical unless I figure out a way to add a clean blend.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's based on the Harmonic Percolator but you can get it to, as Steve Morrissey once said, oscillate wildly.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

What is that, an A mandolin? I need to practice mine more, I'm so bad at chop chords.

I also want to build another pedal, but I haven't found many "mini" pedals that would work well for bass. A tubescreamer clone would be fun, but probably not practical unless I figure out a way to add a clean blend.

It's a bowl back mandoline.
There are stand alone blender pedal plans out there but I've never tried building one. I've had a woolly mammoth clone on my bench for awhile I just can never get it to work proper. It's built on a vero board layout now. I'm probably just going to break down and etch a PCB for it unless I can find a kit like this one for it.
Other wise I've just been using a Rat for my bass dirt.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It's based on the Harmonic Percolator but you can get it to, as Steve Morrissey once said, oscillate wildly.
Black Sun 731? :crossarms:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Black Sun 731? :crossarms:

Unit 731 by Lone Wolf Audio
http://lonewolfaudio.bigcartel.com/product/unit-731-final-run-pre-order

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Science Goy posted:

Put in a tiny daughterboard for the blend. Something like this:

I have one of those in a fuzz pedal that's not working right, and one built as a standalone blend pedal which also works fine. If you don't want to feel as dumb as I feel, double check that you've connected power to both the main board and the blend before you go to test.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I've been wanting a bass like this for over a decade. I don't even think it's a bass anymore. I don't care. I'm so happy I'll even post a picture of my goony rear end with it.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
That is just, what do you even do, is it think bass and go up, or think guitar and go down. But props for doing that, the world needs explorers.

On a related note, tomorrow I'm going to devote the day to guitar surgery on an AliExpress Explorer lookalike. Better pickups than it deserves, most likely.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Unsolicited dick pics just got really fuckin' weird up in here.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thorpe posted:

I've been wanting a bass like this for over a decade. I don't even think it's a bass anymore. I don't care. I'm so happy I'll even post a picture of my goony rear end with it.

What is the tuning on that? 7 string bass gets the whole guitar and bass range so does it just add higher strings or pants making GBS threads low notes?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

rio posted:

What is the tuning on that? 7 string bass gets the whole guitar and bass range so does it just add higher strings or pants making GBS threads low notes?

It's tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb. So two strings lower and 4 strings higher than a 4 string. The F# is low as gently caress and the Eb is one semitone below the high E on a guitar

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Wow, what the heck that is crazy. Can you even hear the notes on the low string or do you just feel them? Can normal speakers handle those notes?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

rio posted:

Wow, what the heck that is crazy. Can you even hear the notes on the low string or do you just feel them? Can normal speakers handle those notes?

I brought it to band practice yesterday just for a laugh, and I could hear the low F# really well playing through a 4x10. I doubt I was getting much of the actual fundamental of the note, but I don't even think most cabinets go as low as a 5-string low B fundamental anyway.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thorpe posted:

Were you at any point transported into Azathoth's court? That F# is like 1 whole octave below what an 8-string guitar is rocking, right? Please please please record something.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Played two of my guitars through it. Loved the way it sounds, and it's a quarter of the price of a '65 Twin Reverb reissue.

Too bad it's gonna take a week to get here...

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Wark Say posted:

Were you at any point transported into Azathoth's court? That F# is like 1 whole octave below what an 8-string guitar is rocking, right? Please please please record something.

Yeah, it's F#0, octave below 8 string guitars. .174 gauge string. I'll try and get something recorded tonight. The passive electronics are kind of poo poo and are gonna be replaced but it works for now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Stuff!
So I finally got off my rear end and put some effort into my Jazzcaster build.

So far I have most of the bits, Fender USA neck and bits, custom made control plate with a varitone built in (like you get on Gibson 345s) a Warmoth body I specced up, Babicz bridge which seems awesome, Lindy Fralin Blues Special pickups.

Ordered and waiting for delivery: Fender locking tiuners, string trees, pack of screws, strap locks and strings.

Pics:

Also, picking up on Sunday - a Marshall Bluesbreaker! This is brand new and was bought by a pro band of some sort for a small tour, so it's been used for 6 hours total. Comes in a really good flight case.

Pics:

I'm really looking forward to getting all this stuff set up next week and hopefully, maybe, settling on a rig for once in my life for more than 6 months :v:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I never considered myself a Marshall guy but lately they've been looking more and more inviting. I demand clips of the Bluesbreaker! And a full report! I will be grading it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

I never considered myself a Marshall guy but lately they've been looking more and more inviting. I demand clips of the Bluesbreaker! And a full report! I will be grading it.

You're a Marshall guy even if you don't think so. It's like saying you hate a dimed Bassman.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

I'll post clips for sure, I love big combo amps it turns out, and I have a Twin, so this thing will cover the other side. I am beyond excited to get it, truly am

metaxus posted:

Played two of my guitars through it. Loved the way it sounds, and it's a quarter of the price of a '65 Twin Reverb reissue.

Too bad it's gonna take a week to get here...

Holy poo poo these look like good value

£244.00 new? loving hell!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 10, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Because I can't stop buying guitars, and even though I just got a really nice laminate archtop, this will be mine next week. Luckily it won't need to be shipped and I am meeting the seller halfway after a 45 minute drive. It is a 2006 Gibson ES-175 - 2006 was a cool year for these guitars because they had several non standard options and this one with the gold hardware was one of them. It has a replacement tailpiece on because something happened to the original one but the original is in the case so I'll see about fixing it up when it arrives. The seller needs money for a car repair and is selling it for the steal price of 2000 so I couldn't pass on it and the guy he bought it from is someone I know on the jazz guitar forums who has buys very good guitars and is very particular - the neck is apparently very straight with excellent frets so I am really, really excited because I have always wanted an ES-175. And my favorite color as a kid was red.

I'll post better pictures when I get it - that wine red is going to be amazing to see in person.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You're a Marshall guy even if you don't think so. It's like saying you hate a dimed Bassman.
Totally. The '81 JCM800 head that I got back in '98 is one of the pieces of music gear that I'm NEVER getting rid of (I'm probably going to put in my will and leave it for my daughter). The guy that left it on the School's shop for repairs probably didn't know what he was parting ways with. Getting that head all those years ago was an insane stroke of luck. I know that old JCM800's heads aren't all that rare and usually you can find one for a deece price, but still.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Holy poo poo these look like good value

£244.00 new? loving hell!

Yup. I paid $609 :australia: dollars for it.

It even includes the footswitch...

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

My AliExpress Special, update.

Spent the day replacing pickups and pots and strings and pickguard (which was white originally, ffs, ordered a black one from the same place which arrived in done-from-memory quality, so I had to whittle down a semi-legit Explorer pickguard I bought from Amazon instead. But the damned toggle switch was still in the wrong place, so electrical tape covers the extra hole for now).

End result: it's like Nigel Tufnel levels of sustain. Rather pleased with myself, never having done this degree of surgery before.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

My tip for this is a bit left of centre.

I have one of these:

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/gamer2

And it's great for games, films etc but it's also excellent for playing bass through the PC, you get TONS of bass reverberating around your body but none is audible to anyone else. It's really really cool.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got this from the kids for my bday. Wanted a basic 5-string for fun and this is a well playing though not fancy one (Peavey Millennium BXP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Went and got the amp.
What a strange day it was! It was at a place that deals with huge gigs, it's essentially a cargo depot but purely for gigs. My amp was with another one stored with Rhianna's stage set. I got talking to a couple of guys who were there and they were part of Simple Minds crew.
It was pretty surreal, I reckon there was about 20 huge trucks parked up being loaded with various things. In another room was a skull about 50 ft tall which was 'being stored from the Brits' - It was really crazy but fascinating.

So I've pretty much only had chance to plug it in and make sure it works, it does and all is good, it's even still under warranty, it smells new, well it is new pretty much..

Life doesn't really get any better for me, I'm already in love :)