Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
I really hope for Fire Emblem Switch, they slash and burn any inkling of a plan to pull the multiple versions poo poo again and condense the writing staff down to a WAY smaller number than fuckin' 20. I'd ask for them to cut down the heavy marriage and children emphasis, but I know that isn't happening.

Jesus christ that General flood at the end does not look fun in the slightest. There's no strategy, just prayer and hoping your tanks hold on as long as possible. On normal mode, way less Generals are present and spawned, so there's fun in slowly breaking them down. For me, an Enfeeble staff softened up Hans, before he was reduced to a burn skeleton thanks to a Thunder tome. (Can't remember who landed the last blow...) Iago, Elise and her Silence staff created an opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Iago's plan:

1) Troll Corrine
2) ?????
3) ???????????????
4) Laugh
5) Also maybe kill Corrine or troll her some more I dunno
6) Kick a puppy

Iago is stupid and if he's really the top general he claims to be he'd have just teleported Corrine somewhere without help instead of allowing the entire royal family and their retainers to join up with her while he attempts to send her off to die.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Emperordaein posted:

I really hope for Fire Emblem Switch, they slash and burn any inkling of a plan to pull the multiple versions poo poo again and condense the writing staff down to a WAY smaller number than fuckin' 20. I'd ask for them to cut down the heavy marriage and children emphasis, but I know that isn't happening.

Jesus christ that General flood at the end does not look fun in the slightest. There's no strategy, just prayer and hoping your tanks hold on as long as possible. On normal mode, way less Generals are present and spawned, so there's fun in slowly breaking them down. For me, an Enfeeble staff softened up Hans, before he was reduced to a burn skeleton thanks to a Thunder tome. (Can't remember who landed the last blow...) Iago, Elise and her Silence staff created an opening.

Considering how kids went over in Fates, I figure that feature's on break. And if they keep full voice acting like in Echoes, likely there'll be less supports.

I'd think an avatar is likely, but hey. Robin's cool. Probably won't be a disaster again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Actually I hope they dont do an avatar/My unit.
And do a return to an fe4 style story. Mainly because I love Medieval politics.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm finding voice acting does not add much to echoes, and the supports in it likely suck to accommodate it, so I could do without going forward.

Could do without the kids themselves unless there is an actual reason like a timeskip, but the matchmaking is fun so maybe let characters still pair up and get some kind of other bonus from it.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 10, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Please do not make Shura your only willing murder. This is your chance. You literally said "I will kill you."

It's over, Iago. Have some dignity and let me finish you off quickly.
Please, Lady Corrine! Spare me! Have mercy! All we did was follow King Garon's orders, just like you! If you don't like our tactics, blame him! Punish him instead!
I'm innocent! Innocent, I say! You wouldn't kill an innocent man, would you?

Are you goddamn kidding me, you're seriously falling for that

Lord Leo! I've known you since you were a child! as wise as you are, surely you understand the awful situation I'm in! Please, milord! Spare me! Tell your army how absurd it would be to kill me!
You are an eyesore, Iago. A cruel fiend who deserves nothing but a blade at your neck. I haven't any mercy to spare for someone like you. You are naught but a spineless coward who brings shame upon our beloved Nohr.

Lord Leo? No! You can't! You—
For all the pain you have caused...to hell with you!!

Corrine is not allowed to canonically kill any humans.

*sigh* It is done.
Thank you, Leo.
It was nothing. It actually feels really nice, knowing he's out of our lives.
That's our Leo! Always thinking of the big picture and stuff!
Good work, Brother. Now no one remains who can harm our precious Corrine.
Yes. This was truly our final battle.

Believe me, if I wanted this to randomly be the final moment of the game, I would take it.

I know, Azura. I know.
Everyone...I need to tell you something.
Oh? What's that?
The war isn't over just yet. There's still someone we must defeat before our world can know peace.
Out with it, Corrine.

So keep in mind that they were perfectly fine with murder dad being murder king of all the land and never put any blame on him for his crimes.

Father?!
You...you can't really be telling us to kill our own father, can you?
That's a horrible thing to say! Why would you say something like that, Corrine?!

Oh my god. Literally none of them actually don't think Garon is evil despite everything that's happened.

Explain yourself, Corrine. You have our attention.
OK. This isn't going to be easy to hear...
But you have to know. I fought so hard and sacrificed so much for this moment. I lost Lilith, Ryoma...even myself to an extent, just to make it this far. I did all that so I could show you, my family, the truth about Father.
And what is this truth of which you speak?

is no longer human. He has become a monster, kept alive by someone or something truly unholy.
There is no way to save him at this point...defeating him is our only option.
That's impossible... You must be joking!

...Why would you be upset? If anything, you'd be thrilled that you have a justified excuse to desperately support Genocide Dad. "Because he was possessed! That was why!"

I'm sorry, Xander, but I'm dead serious. I had a hard time believing it myself, but I swear it's the truth.

Remember all those murders on the Nohrian army? TOTALLY silent. All of it. At least I hope Garon didn't hear Iago screaming like a chipmunk as his death cry.

Please, follow me.
Let's go, Azura. We've waited long enough.
As you wish, Corrine.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

"We've waited long enough."

Truer words were never spoken.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CptWedgie posted:

I was speaking solely from a narrative standpoint; that said, there is a difference between "difficult but fair" and "the game blatantly cheats, and even tells you how it's cheating just to mock you," and Conquest is definitely the latter. Trying to force a game I KNOW BEYOND A DOUBT is cheating to cooperate long enough for me to clear one stage does not sound fun to me.
The game cheating is fun. The best maps in FE5 are the ones where it cheats. Fire Emblem is a tactical series where the plot is almost always about a weaker army managing to overcome a much stronger one due to Friendship and Strategy. Every enemy in every FE game should cheat.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Man, I haven't been this disappointed in such wasted potential since FF4 After Years.

Worse, I actually bought the game, and all its dlc. :sigh:

I'm tempted to just skip to the Fates branch of the story line, or even just trade my copy in for something slightly less disappointing.

You know what? Screw it, I'm trading it in for Summon Night 6.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, right. We can't attack Garon because our entire army would turn on us if he wasn't sitting in the magic chair. I'd forgot about that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

The game cheating is fun. The best maps in FE5 are the ones where it cheats. Fire Emblem is a tactical series where the plot is almost always about a weaker army managing to overcome a much stronger one due to Friendship and Strategy. Every enemy in every FE game should cheat.

...you're one of those people who likes FE5 Fog of War and the teleport tiles, aren't you.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Junpei posted:

...you're one of those people who likes FE5 Fog of War and the teleport tiles, aren't you.

FE5 rules and so does Iago as a boss. He actually provides an interesting challenge as a boss that isn't just a wall of meat to be effortlessly cut down.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

drat.

I am genuinely surprised the writers are having us fight Garon.

I was expecting to be trolled hardcore.

I mean, we should have killed him like 50 missions ago but still, baby steps.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You'd think Corin would at least want to peek in to make sure that yes he did sit down on that drat chair before doing this.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Compared to the ninja cave and the kitsunes Iago's gimmick is incredibly tame, really.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
So I want to point out something. What Corrine has done, is tricked her siblings into a sham war, and murdering thousands upon thousands at least. She's lied to them this whole way. She KNEW Garon was a sludge monster. All the people they had a hand in killing? (By proxy, and not the fake deaths when Corrine fights) It was all a lie. How do you think they'd (Okay, Elise and Leo, the two siblings with humanity) react to learning that all the atrocities they've had a had in could have been avoided if their sister trusted them. Hell! The fact that she kept it a secret meant she DIDN'T trust them!

This will not be acknowledged in the game proper, but oh god do I wish it was. I really wish Leo at the least yelled at Corrine for not telling him.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Actually I hope they dont do an avatar/My unit.
And do a return to an fe4 style story. Mainly because I love Medieval politics.

I think part of it is the difference between My Unit As Tactician/Advisor and My Unit As Lord. The former works better than the latter, at least without a lot of work and flexible writing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The problem with Fates is not an Avatar. Replacing Corrin with an actual non-namable Corrin would not change the writing in Fates. It's a scapegoat when it comes to blaming the story. There's no writing hindrance that having a customization character is why they had to bet their entire horses on a chair to save the day.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Endorph posted:

Games 'cheating' is nothing new because the computer tends to need every advantage it can get it's grubby mits on when it wants to put up a fight. The only time it's ever been a point of contention is when it uses the 'you lose' cheat (or even worse, pulls a victory from you out of it's butt.)

I mean it's up to each individual person to decide on how much puzzle they want in their FE maps and if there's one thing FE tends to be good about it's their battle puzzles (Takumei's implied tactician map here in conquest is super neato for example.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

The problem with Fates is not an Avatar. Replacing Corrin with an actual non-namable Corrin would not change the writing in Fates. It's a scapegoat when it comes to blaming the story. There's no writing hindrance that having a customization character is why they had to bet their entire horses on a chair to save the day.
I think the fact that Corrin is meant to be the self-insert is part of the reason they're never allowed to be wrong, and also the reason for insane knots like the hoshido siblings not being their real siblings because of a letter Mikoto left encouraging them to gently caress Corrin, but there's so much wrong with the game's writing outside of Corrin that it's hard to blame it for all or even more than a few of the game's issues.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Junpei posted:

Endorph and I are the resident FE5 fans in these forums and in all our "how we would improve it" circlejerks we always agree the teleport tiles either need to be removed or marked

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endorph posted:

I think the fact that Corrin is meant to be the self-insert is part of the reason they're never allowed to be wrong

:agreed:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, it's not like the protagonist being boring and never does wrong is something that started with Awakening.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That implies FE protags have been never been committed as being painted as super naive or never wrong, which the majority of the games have. Maybe 3 or so aren't treated as the bastion of charisma vortex that leads all with everyone loving them.

The difference is the writing itself, especially in FE when writing is very, very linear compared to actual avatar creation games. There's no major choice to branch out of with dialogue, hell killing Shura is never brought up again. A stupid chair plan or never truly justifying re-joining Nohr is on the Fates storyboards. Eirika falling for the fake-out with Lyon or Celica's whole thing in the last quarter of SoV is proof that they make stupid scenarios regardless of canon or avatar.

Taking out avatars does not fix fates. it will not magically make writing better when so much of the problem is not remotely based on Corrine. Presentation, the whole Azura secret thing, never talking about the world itself, etc. That is bad regardless.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Games 'cheating' is nothing new because the computer tends to need every advantage it can get it's grubby mits on when it wants to put up a fight. The only time it's ever been a point of contention is when it uses the 'you lose' cheat (or even worse, pulls a victory from you out of it's butt.)

I mean it's up to each individual person to decide on how much puzzle they want in their FE maps and if there's one thing FE tends to be good about it's their battle puzzles (Takumei's implied tactician map here in conquest is super neato for example.)

It's also bad when the game TELLS you when and how it's cheating, like Fates does; some players want at least the ILLUSION that the game's playing fair even when it isn't. I mean, it's pretty obvious that the player will NEVER get their hands on some of the awesome abilities used against them in this game without cheating (Inevitable End, Staff Savant, Dragonskin, Iago's ability to use staves as a Sorcerer, etc.), which can frustrate them. Frankly, enemy reinforcements are pretty much the limit of how far I'm willing to tolerate enemy cheating in Fire Emblem, at least for the rank-and-file (reinforces the notion that you're outnumbered by showing that there're too many of them to attack you all at once); exclusive abilities should be reserved for the bosses we give a drat about (to use Awakening as an example: Validar, the last boss, and maybe Walhart or Gangrel), not just handed out to ALL of them.

Takumi is a pretty good example of the devs using clever design to create difficulty rather than relying on excessively high stats (though it's kinda borderline on this one) and/or enemy-exclusive abilities (the latter of which is definitely cheating) to screw the player out of what would otherwise be an easy victory. I mean, everything you go up against while fighting him is a perfectly legal combination of skills you can set up yourself with enough effort. Yes, even the Rend Heaven + Vengeance + Bowfaire + Point Blank Takumi is possible, if you've got the right DLC; personally, I'd add in Sol for survivability and, in light of his newfound self-healing rendering it useless, swap Vengeance for something else- Death Blow's a good choice, and you can't go wrong with Replicate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Before anything else, Selena switches over to Hero to get a couple more stats and start learning skills I guess.

...Are you kidding me

oh my god

This will be our most trying battle yet, but it should hopefully be our last. I urge you to stay on your guard.
Corrine... Are you really, completely, absolutely sure about all this? About Father being a m-monster?
I wish it weren't so, Elise. But it's true. King Garon is no longer of this world. I know it's not easy to hear, but that is what Azura and I have discovered.
Hmm...

Leo found the logic problem?? Oh no!

Why didn't you tell us earlier? Why keep it a secret? And why are you two the only ones who know about this alleged truth?
It's...it's hard to explain...
There are answers to your questions, Leo, but we are unable to disclose them. All we can say is that the two of us were able to see through King Garon's disguise.

"We called it the Chair Plan and it really banked on him sitting on that chair."

We had to come all the way here just to learn the truth? Really, darling?

Even Camilla is confused at how stupid that sounded.

Really. I know how it sounds, but it's the truth! I couldn't have made it through all this if I wasn't completely sure.
I've been longing for this moment when I could finally share this with you.
Xander and Leo...Elise and Camilla... All of you... I know we've been through a lot, and this is a huge shock, but please... I'm begging you to believe me. I need to see what's behind thse doors with your own eyes.

So be it, Corrine. You have led us this far. The least we can do is follow you just a little farther. I am choosing to trust you, Sister.
However, you know what will happen if this all turns out to be an elaborate ruse. If you mean to trap us, your siblings who have loved you all these years... You will be punished, just like any other traitor. I will not allow anyone, even you, to bring harm to my family or the kingdom of Nohr.

WHAT?! You literally decimated the Nohrian army because Corrine was getting smacked.

If you can accept those terms, as I trust you will, let us proceed.
Of course, Xander. If I were lying, I would deserve no better than a traitor's death. Let's go... I need all of you to see this. To see what Father, the great King Garon, has become...

So no one actually confirmed that Garon sat on the chair before doing this. Literally, Garon went "I gotta talk to ma god about something." And then assume he totally ignored this giant battle right outside the door.

Or let's try to separate gameplay from story. He ignored Iago and Hans' piercing screams of death without curiosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adsqcfxYT6o

THE loving CHAIR PLAN WORKED

GODDAMNIT

How could—?

The chair plan worked. How...why...

This...can't be... What's happening to him?!
Those who sit upon that throne cannot hide the truth within. Behold King Garon's true form!

No one made you sit on the chair, dude. Also, what happened to that pep talk with Anakin or whatever?

You will pay for this indiscretion! All who see me like this must diiiiie!!

Really, Fates. You had to zoom out from there...?

Cutscene Elise is goddamn sturdy. Surviving a direct shot from Takumi and now an axe from like a 26 attack axe.

Now CG Elise on the other hand...

Father... Why?!
Leo, stay strong! We have to fight!! If we back down now, he'll kill us all!
HYAAAAA!!

Well, we know how that'd turn out.

Wh-what's happening? The Yato isn't doing any damage!
You expected to defeat me with a mere child's toy? HA!

I even wore armor to help against that

NO! This is too awful!! *sob* Please, Father! Stop this!
Elise, now is no time to cry! we need you to fight too!
You don't understand, Azura... Although we can see the truth, it's not so easy to attack the man we've called...
I can't accept that Father is really gone forever... I just...

So I guess whoever wrote/edited this part just threw out everything they said in the previous chapters.

I don't know if I can do this...
You can't be serious! Don't you see what he has become?!

This thing is not the man you think he is. This is not Nohr's proud King Garon! All that remains is a monster that has taken over his heart and soul!
MWAHAHAHAHAAA! My children will not be swayed by a pathetic orphan like you! Time to die, Corrine!!

At least he's a cool slime guy that attacks like Mr. Fantastic with an axe.

Xander!
What is the meaning of this?! You dare point your blade at ME, Crown Prince?

Do not speak as though you know me, foul beast.
What?!
You are no longer the father I once looked up to. All has become clear. I know...knew my father better than anyone.
I always wondered what changed his heart, made it grow cold. Now I know. When I was a young boy, my father was strong and brave... Stern, but fair. But for all his power, he would never have used his strength against his own children.

I really wish we saw this supposed benevolent king or at least give an age range of Xander and Corrine, cause reminder that she was kidnapped at a very young age. Young enough that Elise/Sakura were barely walking at the time. And since Azura was kidnapped around the same time, she was at least a child. Kaze was a kid.

Flashbacks! You've done it once, you can do it again!

Fool! You know nothing.

All this time, I have strived to be a good son and a worthy heir. I have faithfully followed your orders, even when doing so tortured my soul. I brushed aside my early memories of Father and accepted you as our king. I fought in your name, hoping one day you would reawaken as the man you once were.

Xander... I'm so sorry. But you're right—this is not the Father you once loved. Fight with me, Brother!
If you don't, everyone we love will die. We've come too far to lose heart now! Father, rest his soul, wouldn't want this monster further soiling his legacy!
Right you are, Corrine.
That is why I shall once more fight at your side. Just like my father would have—with strength and pride.
I will defeat this pretender and restore true peace to this world!

Oh right, the power-up thing. It's activating now because his heart is finally of doubt and something something or other

Could it be...?!

It's happening again!
Wow, that light... It's just like when my Brynhildr joined power with the Yato!
Does that mean...it's about to change form once more? Whaa... What's...happening...!!
Corrine!!

Grim Yato, swordvolve to....!

What's wrong, Corrine? Are you all right?!
The power—it's flowing through me... Becoming part of me... The power of your Siegfried...and Leo's Brynhildr... Our weapons have joined forces to unlock the Seal of Flames! It is as the Rainbow Sage prophesied... And this new blade...it's whispering its name to me...

Well, it's not Deathclaw Yato but it's pretty close.

How. What.

Use its might to reclaim our dear kingdom, which Father once ruled and we will inherit.
Yes, Xander... I finally have the strength now... I feel divine energy coursing through me, warming my heart and tempering my soul.
Fools! Ingrates!! Come at me with a sacred blade or a wooden stick, it matters not. I will kill you all where you stand!
We won't let that happen, not now or ever! HYAAAA!!

Im...PoSs...IbLe...!! I...I...I aM tHe KiNg! I WoN't fALL to A...a...cHilLd...!!
It is time to end your reign of terror. Camilla, Leo, Elise! Do not stay idly by while Corrine battles for her life and yours.

Fight for our kingdom and for our world... Fight for each other...and for our father. In his memory, let us defeat the beast who destroyed him!

"Also totally ignore that most of the continent is in ruins because of us."

Xander...
You're right. I lost my nerve for a moment, but I understand now. As a Nohrian royal, I will fight for all we hold dear, I will fight until we have won!
It hurts...so very much, but if we win this battle... Perhaps Father's spirit will be able to rest in peace. I have to believe that.

No seriously, what the gently caress is all this bullshit? When have they ever shown genuine love for Garon? They have shown fear of him, protective of Corrine as he threatened her, never "Oh, that murder dad is just so murderous. *Canned laughter*" until now.

But I want to protect the people I love! I won't let them die! Forgive me, Father, but... I'm through listening to you!

You have literally defied him since Conquest started back in chapter 6

I believe in you, my brothers and sisters. We will not let this beast prevail! We will fight, and together we shall rid the world of this ancient evil! This evil that has crept into our world and forced Nohr and Hoshido into futile war...

Why do we suddenly care about the real Garon, why is this a thing

A map that looks simple with a simple objective, but it's never that easy for Conquest.

The final roster:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The sad thing comes when you realize Birthright Corrin is probably the more morally complex character, simply because they're actually willing to kill people for their beliefs, rather than this nonsensical "knock everyone out in the middle of battle somehow." Sure, not by much, but considering what the two games were marketed as, all the more pathetic.

AradoBalanga posted:

The recently released Shadows of Valentia has been good (aside from some rough edges that mostly were in the original and carried forward), and shown that for the most part, Fates is this weird oddball of everything that could go wrong with it actually going wrong.

Eh, as I understand it a lot of the issues people have with Celica in Echoes are mostly added, or extremely expanded, scenes. I don't actually mind the set relationships, but it was getting to the point where I somewhat wished Alm had another option simply because he was cool and good, and Celica was decidedly not. The game doing a terrible job of actually giving them any chemistry, as opposed to "because the plot says so," certainly didn't help.

Tae touched on the late game issues she runs into, but the early game castle reunion scene is another big one, for me at least. Technically the early game shrine basically everyone visits is a really dumb decision by her too, but at least the player CAN skip that. And for most of them people just go along with the stupidity and keep going on about how she's so great.

The game overall is pretty good though, I just have certain issues with the plot of that section.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Boy it sure would have been neat to know this Garon that all the siblings seem so hung up upon. He seems like a swell guy.

I bet Xander wouldn't shut up about him and that's why all the siblings seem pretty keen on him because it's Xander's rendition of swell guy.

THANKS XANDER.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

CptWedgie posted:

It's also bad when the game TELLS you when and how it's cheating, like Fates does; some players want at least the ILLUSION that the game's playing fair even when it isn't. I mean, it's pretty obvious that the player will NEVER get their hands on some of the awesome abilities used against them in this game without cheating (Inevitable End, Staff Savant, Dragonskin, Iago's ability to use staves as a Sorcerer, etc.), which can frustrate them. Frankly, enemy reinforcements are pretty much the limit of how far I'm willing to tolerate enemy cheating in Fire Emblem, at least for the rank-and-file (reinforces the notion that you're outnumbered by showing that there're too many of them to attack you all at once); exclusive abilities should be reserved for the bosses we give a drat about (to use Awakening as an example: Validar, the last boss, and maybe Walhart or Gangrel), not just handed out to ALL of them.

Maniac in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? Bullshit.
Merciless in Shadow Dragon? Bullshit.
Lunatic-Reverse in Mystery of the Emblem? Double Bullshit.
Lunatic+ in Awakening? Bullshit RNG that makes several early missions impossible to complete if enemy units roll the right forged weapons/enemy only skills.

I'm not a fan of difficulty where you have to rely on luck.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LEGO Genetics posted:

Maniac in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? Bullshit.
Merciless in Shadow Dragon? Bullshit.
Lunatic-Reverse in Mystery of the Emblem? Double Bullshit.
Lunatic+ in Awakening? Bullshit RNG that makes several early missions impossible to complete if enemy units roll the right forged weapons/enemy only skills.

I'm not a fan of difficulty where you have to rely on luck.

PoR Maniac and Lunatic+ are the only ones you listed that are super RNG though

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And here is where I really get on the editors' case. Conquest has gone on about how much of an oppressive dictator Garon has been, but once Garon is revealed to be a slime monster, suddenly all of the Nohrian siblings show concern and remorse for the man they've lived in fear of for at least a decade and change. Everyone's actions come off as if several story beats have happened off-screen (like for example, talking about a redemption pipe dream that Xander or Elise has had), and the game expects the player to know what's going on. It also expects the player to know stuff about Garon himself, but he has been characterized in such a piss poor manner that we know almost nothing about him outside of "is super evil" and "Did we mention he's evil? Because he's evil.". And yet, no one on the editing staff gave a flying gently caress about this. Inconsistencies and sloppiness on this level are something that you call in the writers and have them explain their poo poo immediately, not approve and ship out without a care in the world. It is scenes like this where I buy into the rumors that Conquest had a massive portion of its plot jettisoned during development and left to die on the cutting room floor, because the only other plausible explanation for stuff like this is "the staff did not care about their work and did the most basic and dumb plot in order to simply get a pay check".

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

"Shadow Yato" is a goofy-rear end name and I'm really surprised the translators couldn't think of something a little less ridiculous-sounding like "Umbral Yato" or "Shrouded Yato" or something like that.

After having played through FEE:SoV I really hope the next FE games keep some of the features it has, like full voice acting and Mila's Turnwheel. I like that there's fewer supports, but I feel are just because it's FE3 and the next switch game will probably have a glut of supports again. Gat drat, though, it makes the supports in the game so much better when they're fully voice acted and there's only a few carefully written ones and basically none of them end in "Also, let's gently caress" as opposed to all of them.

Mila's Turnwheel on the other hand is just a magnificent feature that needs to be in every game in the turn-based strategy genre going forward.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heaven Spacey posted:

"Shadow Yato" is a goofy-rear end name and I'm really surprised the translators couldn't think of something a little less ridiculous-sounding like "Umbral Yato" or "Shrouded Yato" or something like that.

Let's say you were given this game's script.

Could you honestly be assed to come up with something better?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

chiasaur11 posted:

You raise a very good point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

That implies FE protags have been never been committed as being painted as super naive or never wrong, which the majority of the games have. Maybe 3 or so aren't treated as the bastion of charisma vortex that leads all with everyone loving them
uh, what? Pretty much every FE protag except Marth at least makes a couple mistakes or has definable, quantifiable flaws. Not to say every other game is written perfectly but.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Odds are I'd veto the entire script and tell the writers to start over from the beginning with something more coherent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

i could because a decent translation couldn't have massively fixed this game's plot or anything but at the very least it wouldn't have made it worse like this game's tl does

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

uh, what? Pretty much every FE protag except Marth at least makes a couple mistakes or has definable, quantifiable flaws. Not to say every other game is written perfectly but.

The only difference between Corrin and other FE protags are that his/her support cast are bad at actually pushing through the mistakes made. Corrin makes just as many mistakes, has just as much doubt, and still attract a lot of people for no other reason than that they're charismatic at times.

Replacing Corrin with Eirika or Roy would get nearly the same results, because they would be then surrounded by Azura and the Nohr siblings who make things worse by encouraging the wrong things. Instead of having a foil like Soren or even Seth to keep them on the realistic path.

The problem is not Corrin despite my complaints, it's everyone else that's involved in the plot that no one can make look good. Naive royalty is not new.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Roy is pretty garbage too but he's just red Marth so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Heaven Spacey posted:

Which brings up a point of trivia I've been wanting to share: The Yato's original Japanese names.

Firstly, the base form is known as 夜刀神 (or Yato-no-Kami). Yato-no-kami are snake deities in Japanese folklore appearing in the Hitachi No Kuni Fudoki. It literally means God of the Night Sword.

The Noble Yato was 夜刀神 • 空夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Kūya, literally Yato-no-Kami - Empty Nights).

The Blazing Yato was 夜刀神 • 白夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Byakuya lit. Yato-no-Kami - White Nights)

The Grim Yato was 夜刀神 • 長夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Chōya lit. Yato-no-Kami - Long Nights)

And then, the Shadow Yato was 夜刀神 • 暗夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Anya lit. Yato-no-Kami - Dark Nights)

• Locked thread