Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Goodwin's lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

bump_fn posted:

mods fix thread name to "Goodwin ate the book" pls

Done.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao 2017 is so good

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
He ate a couple of pages at most, come the gently caress on!!

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

goodwin eat the pages

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/873447781117157376

I've got no idea how accurate this is but I always enjoy reading about the news being further delegitimized. It's always so good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
peter oborne is a tory writer who quit the telegraph because of his principles

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Homeless Friend posted:

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/873447781117157376

I've got no idea how accurate this is but I always enjoy reading about the news being further delegitimized. It's always so good.

the guardians corbyn coverage has been especially terrible and they deserve to be slammed in the face from every possible angle

a special 'you are terrible' shout out to polly toynbee

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

after corbyn won the first election the guardian readership were so annoyed at their coverage of him they posted this article

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/03/analysing-the-balance-of-our-jeremy-corbyn-coverage

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Jose posted:

after corbyn won the first election the guardian readership were so annoyed at their coverage of him they posted this article

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/03/analysing-the-balance-of-our-jeremy-corbyn-coverage

Also worth noting that a year later a study of coverage by the London School of Economics found overwhelming bias against Corbyn and misrepresentation of his positions, even in supposedly left publications:

quote:

What the UK newspapers have done – and continue to do – to the Labour leader has grown beyond a political question. It now also raises ethical and democratic ones.

A healthy democracy, to be sure, requires a strong watchdog in its press – but not an attack dog, snarling and barking at a different looking and distinctive talking politician that happens to challenge the status quo and advocate for a different kind of politics.

In view of the results of our study, the British people also deserve a different kind of political journalism, critical yes, but also respectful of difference and civic.”

This was a Guardian columnist's response:

quote:

But I wonder if that really is what the British people want? Do they hunger for unbiased political coverage? Do they want politicians treated with respect?

I am not in the least bit surprised by the coverage of Corbyn. With something like 80% of his parliamentary party against him, would democracy benefit from a failure to reflect that reality?

I think we can presume that Labour MPs are not susceptible to press spin. Similarly, the fact that there is - according to that Times/YouGov poll - a healthy majority in favour of Corbyn among Labour members, they are not being influenced by the coverage. So where’s the proof of harm?

The UK's print media can't die soon enough, honestly.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jose posted:

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Bryter posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bryter posted:

all the people involved too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

owen jones is alright but still needs to be involved

https://twitter.com/tomrichell/stat...er%3D379%23pti1

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Duno if posted yet:
https://twitter.com/mushenska/status/873566518939930624

Edit: It was! Boy am I late to notice the title

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Jun 10, 2017

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/873608186850402305

this government will last all of 10 seconds lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
jeremy corbyn owns

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

anime was right posted:

jeremy corbyn owns
:corbget:
:getjezz:
:orbin:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bryter posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/873608186850402305

this government will last all of 10 seconds lmao

Definitely worth nuking any semblance of the UK parliament being an honest broker in the NI negotiations for!

:negative:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anime was right posted:

jeremy corbyn owns

https://twitter.com/DaveWardGS/stat...r%3D380%23pti22

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Definitely worth nuking any semblance of the UK parliament being an honest broker in the NI negotiations for!

:negative:

So if Sean Fenn seats their MPs, wouldn't that give them the ability to blow up the government at any time?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I read earlier that Scottish Tories were planning on separating from the main Conservative party? Anything to this?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I read earlier that Scottish Tories were planning on separating from the main Conservative party? Anything to this?

the scottish tory leader rubbished it on twitter immediately

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

sullat posted:

So if Sean Fenn seats their MPs, wouldn't that give them the ability to blow up the government at any time?

They already tried that in 1984.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

jeremy corbyn owns

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I figure the political calculus is pretty obvious: the tories are perfectly able to melt down on their own and even if the scottish tories don't split, getting them and DUP to line up is going to be like herding cats. Sinn Fein showing up to break the government probably hurts them because sitting in Westminster is a bigger deal than sitting in Stormont and the Dail, really (at least these two can sort of have the pretense of not being imperial occupation governments as much as going to Westminster), and it probably hurts labour by giving credence to the terrorist Corbyn bullshit even though at this point british media is pretty loudly calling May a hypocrite.

Basically even without Sinn Fein taking the oath I doubt the government lasts the whole year.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
May: Corbyn tallies with terrorists!!!!

*makes supply and confidence deal with the UVF DUP*

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

May: Corbyn tallies with terrorists!!!!

*makes supply and confidence deal with the UVF DUP*

The UVF's political wing is the PUP. The DUP wasn't formally aligned with any paramilitary body (nor much need to when you have the state as your armed wing in the form of the UDR and RUC), but they had closer links to the UDA.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I stand corrected.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Interesting take from the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-prime-minister-ted-heath-harold-wilson-labour-party-minority-government-a7783336.html

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, did Richard Hammond have another horrific crash? Surely he'll quit this time.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Goddamn, did Richard Hammond have another horrific crash? Surely he'll quit this time.

Yes, and no, respectively.

I mean, I'm just guessing on that second one, but it'd surprise me if he did.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Jun 10, 2017

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

anime was right posted:

jeremy corbyn owns

:newdanger:

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
all this seemed basically unthinkable a week ago right?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Their manifesto is ideal for this. A lot of the proper red meat left wing stuff like nationalising the railways, creating state owned power utilities etc won't get voted on immediately because it's complicated or designed to be a phased approach.

Instead, he just leads off with the free schools meals policy and dares the tories to vote down lunch for kids. Then free tuition, or more NHS funding. Then does the corporation tax rise and dares the tories to vote against balancing the budget. Rinse and repeat for as long as it takes the public to feel like he keeps his promises and isn't the loony lefty the press has painted him as.

The caveat to this is that I have no idea what he'd do regarding Brexit. Possibly set up a cross party committee with the saner tories and lib Dems, then defer any and all Brexit questions to them and basically not touch it with a barge pole.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

and i must meme posted:

I think we were all pretty resigned.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

and i must meme posted:

Yes. To get this into perspective, the tories had a 20 point lead 2 months ago, had taken heretofore unthinkable Labour seats in the northwest of England, and more or less wiped Labour out in local government elections just over a month ago, while the general election campaign was going on. It was set to be a bloodbath.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
seriously lol, UK + US both being in chaos means canada is like surrounded by chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

jBrereton posted:

Yes. To get this into perspective, the tories had a 20 point lead 2 months ago, had taken heretofore unthinkable Labour seats in the northwest of England, and more or less wiped Labour out in local government elections just over a month ago, while the general election campaign was going on. It was set to be a bloodbath.

oh im from the uk i know this

i'm just amazed