Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q51LZ2HpbE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I love that Darth Maul bit.

"Sector is clear."
*Darth Maul immediately kills everyone else*
"Not clear, not clear!"

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sounds like the same voice actor the clones had in The Clone Wars, so that's cool

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Kinda weird because they still have Temuera Morrison voicing Boba Fett.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

feels kinda weird to see the battle droids so detailed. that one closeup at the beginning especially

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have been sold on Battlefront 2, I'll give EA that much

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Well, they're clearly ignoring the prequels nowadays. :downs:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

TWIST FIST posted:

feels kinda weird to see the battle droids so detailed. that one closeup at the beginning especially

For all their faults, Dice knows how to make a good looking game. They're the only people who have made a good looking digital Jabba. Even Ilm can't do that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lord Hydronium posted:

Well, they're clearly ignoring the prequels nowadays. :downs:

I was actually thinking about that while watching this stuff.

Not just because of that one dude, but because I also have a friend who was claiming that in about 10 years, they're just gonna declare the Prequels non-canon and do them over around when the first game and Force Awakens came out.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

also the comments sections in all the battlefront videos before this were filled with people asking where all the clone wars stuff was

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Legit myself and most of my friends skipped the previous installment because where the gently caress is naboo at seriously?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

They're the only people who have made a good looking digital Jabba. Even Ilm can't do that.

I am assuming you're not comparing a modern video game to 18-year old CGI -- what Jabba did ILM do recently?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i like the n1 a lot, glad that its showing up again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

Legit myself and most of my friends skipped the previous installment because where the gently caress is naboo at seriously?

In the Expee galaxy. :v:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Barudak posted:

What a missed opportunity. You could have a huge deathmatch in an empty field of grass

Yaws fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 11, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yaws posted:

What a missed opportunity. You could have a huge deathmatch in an empty field of grass

I think people are asking more for the variety of ships/etc. that would allow for and not for the scenery.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yaws posted:

I like how the timg "image failed to load" icon is pretty much the same picture anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There was also fighting in the city streets and the palace.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

gently caress yeah!

Or in an empty field of snow.

Or in an empty field of star.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 11, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

gently caress yeah!

Or in an empty field of snow.

umok

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Why snow better than grass? I have never battled in either.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

Why snow better than grass? I have never battled in either.
I dunno. No one mentioned Hoth

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There've been many video games where you fight the Battle of Hoth. The fact that it was set on a snowfield didn't stop them from making it fun. Why should part of the Battle of Naboo taking place on a grassy plain be different, Yaws?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

There've been many video games where you fight the Battle of Hoth. The fact that it was set on a snowfield didn't stop them from making it fun. Why should part of the Battle of Naboo taking place on a grassy plain be different, Yaws?

In FPS deathmatch you generally want something to hide behind. The picture I failed to post offers none of that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

In FPS deathmatch you generally want something to hide behind. The picture I failed to post offers none of that.

The trailer that showed the Naboo content was set in the city, not on the field.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I would love to see an instagib match in a huge empty field.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yaws posted:

The level's set in the city and not in the field where that battle took place, but even if it was it would still be awesome.

The ground battle at the end of Phantom Menace, imo, sucks, for a lot of reasons, but it also had a huge influence on video games. About four years afterwards you start seeing shields, support fields, support units, etc. become almost standard in everything up to now where Overwatch, basically the most popular FPS that's currently available, is built around the core dynamic you see in Phantom Menace's shields/bombs/etc. There's a reason that even when the movie was new there were people saying it was like a video game, that wasn't just because of the graphics.

The Naboo battle/locationa/vehicles that were already done to great effect in the previous two Star Wars Battlefront games. When people are asking for/hype for Naboo stuff in this, it's just another thing on the list of stuff that felt weirdly missing from what was the third Star Wars Battlefront we got in 2015.

I don't mean this against you personally but like, I think the prequels suck overall but it's okay to admit parts of them are rad and that a lot of stuff from them are super popular right out the gate and remained so with good reason.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

homullus posted:

I am assuming you're not comparing a modern video game to 18-year old CGI -- what Jabba did ILM do recently?

They redid the special edition Jabba for the DVD release of the OT so around 2005 I think.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

They redid the special edition Jabba for the DVD release of the OT so around 2005 I think.

Well, thanks for answering. I want to point out that ILM's output from 12 years ago wouldn't represent what they're capable of today.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Overwatch, basically the most popular FPS that's currently available, is built around the core dynamic you see in Phantom Menace's shields/bombs/etc.

Those shields are the worst part of that game :argh:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Overwatch ripped off TF2, my dudes.

Also that reminds me of the top down dungeon crawler The Phantom Menace game. It was essentially walk around holding the CTRL key down all day. Not that these two games compare, I'm just saying it's been a long time since I remember being able to play a game where you really fight in Naboo against Battle Droids.

I still enjoyed that game enough, though--despite it's cheapness and badness.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 11, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Overwatch ripped off TF2, my dudes.

Nothing in my post says otherwise. :P

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

I've always hated having to do the Hoth mission in games.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The original Battlefront had a map set in the grassy plains of Naboo and they solved it by having wrecked statues and stuff scattered around. The first mission of that game where you got to play as a regular Battle Droid instead of a Super was so good and I'm already looking forward to playing Battlefront 2 and leaving whenever it's not a prequel era match.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

cargohills posted:

The original Battlefront had a map set in the grassy plains of Naboo and they solved it by having wrecked statues and stuff scattered around. The first mission of that game where you got to play as a regular Battle Droid instead of a Super was so good and I'm already looking forward to playing Battlefront 2 and leaving whenever it's not a prequel era match.

Do the prequel Battlefront maps look as bad as the prequels themselves?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

Yeah. And the Episode V maps look like stop-motion animation and puppets.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

Old school. I like it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Yaws posted:

Given that the prequels look very good, and that the original Battlefront is a video game from 2004 and the last prequel was released in 2005, no, the game looks a lot worse than the films.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

UmOk posted:

Don't even joke like that wouldn't be rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Beeez posted:

Possibly, but what I mean is that he's trying to appeal to Obi-Wan's sense that certain ideals are higher than the Republic as an institution. But as we've seen in The Phantom Menace, Obi-Wan isn't even as much of a maverick as Qui-Gon, let alone someone who would ever entertain the notion that he needs to turn his back on the institutions that he defends and join the Sith. The most obvious example, of course, being that Qui-Gon actually plans on ignoring the Council's beliefs to train Anakin just because he believes in the boy's importance, whereas Obi-Wan really only chooses to train Anakin because he feels he's responsible for the promise he made to Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan in the prequels is much more doctrinaire and loyal to institutions than Qui-Gon is. Which is also why, even though Cnut made some good points against this, I still think someone who was less dogmatic like Qui-Gon could possibly have helped Anakin work through his issues with attachment in a better way than Yoda or Obi-Wan.

I don't know, maybe I've said some different things in the past, but to my current thinking I agree with you that Qui-Gon may have been able to help Anakin get over his various hang-ups. The major problem is that Anakin was trained by Obi-Wan instead, who really wasn't prepared for the challenge. Obi-Wan is being a bit hard on himself, but when he admits at the end of Episode III and in Episode VI that he failed to do right by Anakin, he's not wrong.

Even with the way things turned out, Anakin still almost makes the right choice in the Chancellor's office in Episode III. The thing that pushes him over the edge onto the Sith's side is the Jedi's hypocrisy. Anakin spent the majority of his Jedi life training under Obi-Wan, who, despite loving Anakin and meaning well, engages in constant acts of hypocrisy just by virtue of being thrust into the position of father/teacher before he was done developing as a person himself. So, having experienced all of Obi-Wan's flaws through the eyes of an angst-ridden teenager chafing under the authority of a man who feels more like a peer than a father, he's been conditioned all his life to see the Jedi as nothing more than self-interested hypocrites--whereas if Qui-Gon had raised him he might have developed a more balanced view of the Jedi as flawed beings who nevertheless have good intentions. And then maybe he wouldn't have been driven to view Mace's immoral actions through such an absolutist lens, where "Mace doing a bad thing in the heat of the moment" = "All my suspicions about the Jedi have been confirmed" = "The Sith must be right about everything."

• Locked thread