Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

The Rangers are after Lindy Ruff to join the coaching staff. My question is, why?

Perhaps they bought into the whole "Lindy Ruff gets teams to play defence" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Perhaps they bought into the whole "Lindy Ruff gets teams to play defence" thing?

I guess but I haven't heard anything about Beuk getting fired?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

God damnit why do people keep bailing the Pens out? Kessel, Daley, Sullivan in, Johnston, Scuderi, likely MAF, maybe Tocchet out.

e- MAF, not Hainsey.

Must be hard to walk with that big of a chip

on your shoulder

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: Elliotte Friedman thinks the CBJ are sending David Clarkson('s contract) to Vegas.

V: Wasn't there something about a player acquired by trade counting as Vegas' selected player from that team or am I confusing that with something else? I could've sworn I read something to that effect and whoever wrote it saying it could be used as a creative workaround for GMs.

(e- No, that has to do with signing a UFA and Vegas trading them to another team in exchange for consideration. Pierre LeBrun talked about it May 10th.)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 11, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, but I'm not sure they considered a dead player in that situation.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Can't wait for Lou to send Good Players to the blackhawks for Brant Seabrook and his 35 year contract.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

this will likely change 20 times before the deadline hits, but as of now, Brooksie thinks the union will decline the cap escalator. this means 2017-18 would have a $73 million salary cap.

Chicago Blackhawks projected 2017-18 salary hit: $77,520,628

lmbo

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Some idiot team will bail them out again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's lots of chatter of a "core player" being shipped out of Chicago soon. The list of dudes still around from 2010 isn't very long but if one of them goes it will be a Big Deal(tm).

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

yellowcar posted:

there doesn't seem to be a good route to them getting under. i've been spitballing in the discord about who i think could maybe go for Seabrook, a team that could afford him and be dumb enough to do it. I came up with Boston, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal, and a distant maybe but not really for Tampa Bay. Kilza pointed out that Edmonton is in fact stupid enough to sabotage themselves and do it as well. if they get Kruger out of there, it means they can retain a very small amount of salary or take back a small amount from someone and it frees them up. maybe they trick Ottawa into bringing Marian Hossa back for a returning glory run that ends 3 points shy of the playoffs with a lot of laughs, but that plus Kruger gone only gets them to like 4m free and they gotta replace those guys.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

xzzy posted:

There's lots of chatter of a "core player" being shipped out of Chicago soon. The list of dudes still around from 2010 isn't very long but if one of them goes it will be a Big Deal(tm).

Main guys still around from 2010:
Jonathan Toews
Patrick Kane
Marian Hossa
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook
Niklas Hjalmarsson

Plus you can probably add Panarin/Crawford in that mix as a core piece. I think the two most obvious candidates to be moved are Hossa and Seabrook. I can see Seabrook being moved despite the bad contract and decline because NHL GMs are dumb and will just look at the fact he won the Cup 3 times and go "Yeah, that's the guy that'll push us over the hump!" As Aye Doc said, I think the Oilers could be dumb enough to trade for him so I hope that some other dumb GM saves us from our own dumb GM.

e: Also worth bringing this tweet from a couple of days ago up:
https://twitter.com/JayZawaski670/status/873385398315175936

Kilza fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 11, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's pretty obviously Seabrook

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If anyone pays more than a 2nd for Seabrook I will lose my mind

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

It would be in Goldblum's wheelhouse to downgrade to Seabrook in order to replace Markov.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

yellowcar posted:

i don't want to see the hawks get bailed out again, but i do want to see toronto trade a couple big pieces for old rear end brent seabrook and his extremely bad contract

i'm conflicted

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'd take toews or hossa but i don't think hossa wants to be a coyotes and toews would have to win an arm wrestling match or mantracker showdown against doan for 19.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
All this talk about Hossa, and man, I just did not realize that he's been with the Blackhawks for 8 seasons now. My memory is still him in a Thrashers jersey, and that only lasted 2 1/2 seasons. This is what getting old feels like, I guess.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Technetium posted:

Can't wait for Lou to send Good Players to the blackhawks for Brant Seabrook and his 35 year contract.

shut up

Aye Doc posted:

there doesn't seem to be a good route to them getting under. i've been spitballing in the discord about who i think could maybe go for Seabrook, a team that could afford him and be dumb enough to do it. I came up with Boston, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal, and a distant maybe but not really for Tampa Bay. Kilza pointed out that Edmonton is in fact stupid enough to sabotage themselves and do it as well. if they get Kruger out of there, it means they can retain a very small amount of salary or take back a small amount from someone and it frees them up. maybe they trick Ottawa into bringing Marian Hossa back for a returning glory run that ends 3 points shy of the playoffs with a lot of laughs, but that plus Kruger gone only gets them to like 4m free and they gotta replace those guys.

Shut Up!

whatis posted:

i don't want to see the hawks get bailed out again, but i do want to see toronto trade a couple big pieces for old rear end brent seabrook and his extremely bad contract

i'm conflicted

SHUT UP

:negative:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Stiev Awt posted:

It would be in Goldblum's wheelhouse to downgrade to Seabrook in order to replace Markov.

Nah he values old guys. He'll ship away young players for ~proven cup winning character~

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Stiev Awt posted:

Nah, he's gonna ship out Beaulieu + Sergachev because he's a big fuckin dummy with holes in his brain.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yellowcar posted:

Nah, he's gonna ship out Beaulieu + Sergachev because he's a big fuckin dummy with holes in his brain.

Don't get my hopes up like this.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's pretty obviously Seabrook

To Florida I bet. That's what they do right?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I'm terrified that the lightning will pick up a bad defenseman and/or contract.

Also, it's super obvious, but still intriguing to me that the past three cup winners have all had outside organizational help to fill their roster (kessel with salary paid by the leafs, etc.) it's pretty obvious that the formula is to fill out your roster with talent and not be too concerned about salary, because some dumb team will bail you out.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ottawa picks up Hossa with a nice salary and hefty apology, Chara comes back to play with his bud on old familiar ice, and Alfie straps on his skates for one more year...

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
also get Spezza back

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago has to be super careful with Hossa because if they do anything that motivates him to retire they are fuuuuuuucked on salary cap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ottawa picks up Hossa with a nice salary and hefty apology, Chara comes back to play with his bud on old familiar ice, and Alfie straps on his skates for one more year...

I'm okay with this.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

xzzy posted:

Chicago has to be super careful with Hossa because if they do anything that motivates him to retire they are fuuuuuuucked on salary cap.

It's okay, the NHL will probably soften up and just let players on the back-diving contracts retire with no penalty to their team (or the team that had them if applicable).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

I'm okay with this.

And it all still ends with Ottawa trapping their way to playoff win over the Bruins.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Hahah they ain't calling poo poo all night. Gotta call an early super fuckin weak one to get the guys worried it's gonna be a tight game and just slowly let it turn into a poo poo show.

Whoops not the GDT! Sorry loser thread, uhhh, they aren't playing hockey. Don't worry, you aren't missing anything.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

:(

I'm so sorry Preds fans. You deserved better.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
imo probate all the Pens fans for a few days so their stupid happiness doesn't get in the way of our bitter antipathy.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Also, gently caress it. The Edmonton Oilers will win the Stanley Cup in 2018.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

Also, gently caress it. The Edmonton Oilers will win the Stanley Cup in 2018.

Please do not post this filth

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ThinkTank posted:

Please do not post this filth

The Vancouver Canucks will win the Stanley Cup in 2018.

Wait, sorry, I got the number backwards.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

VJeff posted:

yesss, better late than never

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VJeff posted:

I'll take it. I won't even be 100!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mario Lemieux sucks I hope he gets cancer.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

VJeff posted:

imo probate all the Pens fans for a few days so their stupid happiness doesn't get in the way of our bitter antipathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Congrats Preds you did it right with the Bettman boos. I'm permanently staking my spot on the bandwagon for good. gently caress you Bergevin.

• Locked thread