Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
For me Malvo made Fargo s1 one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen. Like The Wire/The Shield/Breaking Bad level good. It completely blew me away. That's why s2 was such a let down for me, I was expecting something on the same level. Although Bokeem Woodbine was very good. Haven't started s3 yet, will probably wait till it's finished at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RIP Adam West :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One of the best things Seth MacFarlane ever did was reintroduce Adam West to two generations of TV viewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeMiO8xcTQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvjVHlfb-PU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
drat.

e:

Adam West entering the pearly gates...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsYA8Gr5NTY

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 10, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Good night, sweet prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghcdkx358w4]

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How is Dark Matter not garbage anymore. I thought season 2 having good parts was just part of some weird fever dream I had last year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They got rid of 1 and killed the guy who he was pretending to be for good measure.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, person of interest got good.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

Where are you in the show?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
End of season 2.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

End of season 2.

The bad news: It eventually ends.
The good news: It really does just keep getting better and better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Any Hap and Leonard fans in here?

I just finished binging S2 and it was... odd. I think part of the problem was I binge rewatched S1 before it and there's a dramatic tone shift between the seasons. S1 has a lot of violence and some tragedy but at its core its a wild adventure story of two pretty normal guys getting sucked into a get rich quick scheme and poo poo escalating. S2 is two really broken guys fighting against a corrupt system to try and get justice for unspeakable tragedies. She got really, really dark.

On its own I think I probably would have really enjoyed it. And in retrospect I think that's how it should be approached and not the 2 season binge I did. I just had no idea the two seasons/novels would be so dramatically different and was really put off my footing by how super, super hosed up and tragic poo poo was.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snak posted:

Season 5 almost didn't happen and is a amazing nonstop race to the finale, which itself is also mostly perfect. The show itself was the subject matter for a few articles about how PoI was probably one of the greatest on screen examples of the march of modern tech and the advent of the surveillance state and how it can shaped and used. It's had to talk more without spoiling anything but its one of the few shows where the finale was near universally praised. Season 4 does drag on for a bit before hitting its stride but you'll immediate know that episode when you get to it after the first 20 minutes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I quit in season 4 it was so bad, I should really go back and watch 5.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

STAC Goat posted:

Any Hap and Leonard fans in here?

I just finished binging S2 and it was... odd. I think part of the problem was I binge rewatched S1 before it and there's a dramatic tone shift between the seasons. S1 has a lot of violence and some tragedy but at its core its a wild adventure story of two pretty normal guys getting sucked into a get rich quick scheme and poo poo escalating. S2 is two really broken guys fighting against a corrupt system to try and get justice for unspeakable tragedies. She got really, really dark.

On its own I think I probably would have really enjoyed it. And in retrospect I think that's how it should be approached and not the 2 season binge I did. I just had no idea the two seasons/novels would be so dramatically different and was really put off my footing by how super, super hosed up and tragic poo poo was.

That's basically just Hap and Leonard's lot in life, two normal guys getting sucked into something, and the poo poo just escalating.

Season 3, based on "The Two-Bear Mambo", isn't much a joy ride either. But the show, like the books, have the strength in the core with the love between Hap and Leonard. Plus nothing's better than how they treat one another.

One of the later books has Hap explaining to someone about Leonard's fondness of Dr Pepper, vanilla cookies, and ugly hats. The Dr Pepper and cookies come from when he was child, and his family couldn't even afford to spend money on things like soda and cookies, but his uncle Chester always shared his with Leonard, so his obsession with them as an adult is just his way of remembering a happy time when he was a child.

And the ugly hats? "Oh, that's just because he's an rear end in a top hat," said Hap.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

-Blackadder- posted:

I wonder has there ever been a "central mystery" show whose ending/reveal actually lived up to the hype? I feel like there must have been some, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Obviously a lot of shows had great endings such as the aforementioned Breaking Bad and Justified, but they weren't really "central mystery" shows.

This is from a few pages back as I'm catching up with the thread, but: The Good Place.

If that doesn't count, I'll give you another Kristen Bell-starring show with season 1 of Veronica Mars.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 11, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Good Place is awesome. Don't read about it, just go watch it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
POI season 5 is good but it really suffers from a shortened season order. There's a lot of moments when you can tell that they had a lot more story to tell but had to truncate/drop plotlines at the last second. Still a good ending considering the circumstances they had to work with

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IRQ posted:

I quit in season 4 it was so bad, I should really go back and watch 5.

I did the same, in 3 or 4 it just stopped meshing with my schedule despite my family saying "no seriously it's good". Caught an episode of season 5 by chance and was immediately hooked for the rollercoaster to the end.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yup, quit the same way, maybe I should check season 5.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's almost no way that season 4 could be worse than season 1...

I mean I guess Root could be in it a whole lot more, but I don't really hate where they have been going with her for the last few episodes.

Shaw is great, like way better than Reese.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd watch a show with just Amy Acker and the dog. Wait, that should be the Downward Dog show and not whatever the real one is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is this one of those thing like where people watched Weeds because they were attracted to Mary Louise Parker?

Amy Ackers's character has been one of the worst characters on the show so far. I find Reese to be horribly bland and uninteresting, but he doesn't actively annoy me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Disliking her is like saying you don't like The Machine. Reese loving sucks though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Root owns

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well Root just started her whole "Im the machine's prophet on earth" deal, which is a big improvement over what she was like before.

I'm basically​ here for the Finch, Carter, and Fusco show, though.

Oh and Shaw was a great addition. It would be too much to hope that Reese dies and Shaw replaces him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Is this one of those thing like where people watched Weeds because they were attracted to Mary Louise Parker?

Amy Ackers's character has been one of the worst characters on the show so far. I find Reese to be horribly bland and uninteresting, but he doesn't actively annoy me.

:getout:

Amy Acker is above reproach. Adapt your thinking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I watched an Egghead episode of the Batman 66 series in memory of Adam West and there was a white guy in redface playing a native american and everyone kept making really racist jokes about native americans and then Batman called him a redskin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Talking about awesome murder mystery/investigation shows and nobody mentions State of Play?

For shame, goons. For shame.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watch the first season of The Killing then kill yourself because jfc the show runner hosed up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rarity posted:

Talking about awesome murder mystery/investigation shows and nobody mentions State of Play?

It's like a super lame version of Life on Mars

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

I appreciated that State of Play didn't involve some grand conspiracy to bring down the entire government and focused instead on one backbench MP who people thought might be invited to join the government at some point in the future.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Snak posted:

Acker's performance is just so obnoxious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lurdiak posted:

I watched an Egghead episode of the Batman 66 series in memory of Adam West and there was a white guy in redface playing a native american and everyone kept making really racist jokes about native americans and then Batman called him a redskin.

Thinga were different, back then they didn't know that the preferred term is "gun-taker."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

Acker's performance is just so obnoxious.
I felt similarly, but I've also found all of the True Believers in anything really obnoxious, so I begrudgingly accepted it.

I don't find Reese bland, but I also finished the whole show and feel like he had a satisfying and full character arc, which changes how I view the earlier episodes. I wouldn't skip anything on a rewatch, honestly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, also the bad-guy button-man they introduced near the end of season 2 is a pretty good addition.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Even by the standards of Korean shows on Netflix My Only Love Song is loving weird. Clearly what any light-hearted romantic comedy needs is Spartacus esq cock dismemberment!

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 11, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Snak posted:

Oh, also the bad-guy button-man they introduced near the end of season 2 is a pretty good addition.

This guy? Check him out rapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb9iqI3OVSg

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
No, the curlyhaired white guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Orphan Black came back last night, for anyone who forgot the show/BBC America still existed.

• Locked thread