Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I still miss poise is Ds3, as it was mechanically in the prior games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Seems a lot of people agree with you but I definitely prefer DS3 poise, especially since 90 % of enemies play by the same rules. No poise means you have to be aggressive, lots of poise means you can tank anything - imagine if you could have poise with a straight sword in DS3!

Anyway, don't know how many of you tried out the Whip since the last patch, but I have to say it's actually good now! Just treat the R2 as you would the R1 with any other weapon - it has probably the broadest swing of any weapon and it goes through walls! It could still use a damage buff, but it's incredibly fun to use! It's doing alright in PvP so far (level 70) - except you can't really play aggressively since it's slow and doesn't have any poise (just like spears), plus the damage reduction against heavy armor is significant. The rolling attack is great, as with most weapons, but it's even more useful with whips since it can't be parried! The range on the rolling attack is larger than it appears to be - you can roll away from an attack with light roll and still hit your opponent, which tricks most people. Fun! I do use an offhand mail breaker for aggressive people and poise monsters, though, the whip isn't very good against those.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I understand liking DS1 poise but 2's just seems like a mess. Recovery frames like I frames shouldn't be variable

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Poise in 2 and 3 is functionally just about the same, there's virtually nothing about the systems that makes them feel different. If you wear a bunch of armor you might not be staggered out of your attack by a light attack, and if you're doing a huge fuckoff attack with a huge fuckoff weapon you've probably got hyper armor and won't stagger regardless. On some level I like the DS1 system for its simplicity, but in each of the games the system is wildly obtuse even by the standards of this series and I hope their next ARPG comes up with a better mechanical solution for stagger than some nonsense that takes a dozen nerds weeks of number crunching to make any sense of, or for that matter just moving it all under the hood/sweeping it all under the rug like Bloodborne.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Poise should probably be a weapon stat going forward. If it's in whatever they do next. Does bloodborne do hyper armor?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Standard poise should be determined by total equip weight. Hyperarmor should be determined by weapon weight. Poise damage should be determined by weapon weight as well.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Can we all agree that if armor is useless it shouldn't have its own dedicated stat, at least?

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

Sum Gai posted:

Can we all agree that if armor is useless it shouldn't have its own dedicated stat, at least?

Armour only has one purpose in dark souls.

And that is fashion.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Armour only has one purpose in dark souls.

And that is fashion.

Sure. And that's something you shouldn't have to spend soul levels on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Endurance never should have been split into End/Vit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Endurance never should have been split into End/Vit.

Yeah pretty much.

In general the post-DS1 games are much less sympathetic to people who want to leave health and stamina at base levels though, or really even close to base levels. They are increasingly geared towards making those stats that absolutely every character will want to level, which makes the splitting off of an equip weight stat more understandable. In DS2 once you know what you're up against you can still get away with postgame content having only like 20 health levels, no trouble, but if you try that in Bloodborne or especially DS3 you're gonna eat poo poo a LOT, even once you know the game. You want to take on Gael or Midir with less than 1000 HP? Hope you've got a lot of free time.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I never really picked up the executioner's sword. But this thing is great! I made a faith strength knightly sort of dude heavy armor, big sword, supplementary miracles. PVE speaking The FP stealing means you almost never have to use estus and you can keep regeneration up almost indefinitely without expending anything. The moveset is absolutely fantastic too with big swingin' moves and good strength damage.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 10, 2017

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

skasion posted:

Yeah pretty much.

In general the post-DS1 games are much less sympathetic to people who want to leave health and stamina at base levels though, or really even close to base levels. They are increasingly geared towards making those stats that absolutely every character will want to level, which makes the splitting off of an equip weight stat more understandable. In DS2 once you know what you're up against you can still get away with postgame content having only like 20 health levels, no trouble, but if you try that in Bloodborne or especially DS3 you're gonna eat poo poo a LOT, even once you know the game. You want to take on Gael or Midir with less than 1000 HP? Hope you've got a lot of free time.

Well...I guess that goes a long way to explaining my difficulties then. :geno:

e: pretty sure this is with a life ring too :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Motherfucker posted:

I never really picked up the executioner's sword. But this thing is great! I made a faith strength knightly sort of dude heavy armor, big sword, supplementary miracles. PVE speaking The FP stealing means you almost never have to use estus and you can keep regeneration up almost indefinitely without expending anything. The moveset is absolutely fantastic too with big swingin' moves and good strength damage.

As a wonderful bonus, the fact it's a strike damage greatsword really ruins the day of a carthus skeleton :haw: Honestly the only thing about it that bugs me is the fact it uses the stomp swing art. Which feels just slightly too short to be practical without it being on a huge fuckoff Ultra weapon.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Section Z posted:

As a wonderful bonus, the fact it's a strike damage greatsword really ruins the day of a carthus skeleton :haw: Honestly the only thing about it that bugs me is the fact it uses the stomp swing art. Which feels just slightly too short to be practical without it being on a huge fuckoff Ultra weapon.

stomp has always been just a stepping stone into a cool combo though. Some weapons with stomps have really good moves off of it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Motherfucker posted:

stomp has always been just a stepping stone into a cool combo though. Some weapons with stomps have really good moves off of it.

just makes me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIqmUR_GJ_U

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah, exactly. But since the Executioner's sword is shorter than the Ultra swords with it's particular move. It often throws me off in barley whiffing the big swing followup to the stomp :downs:

Also, It's that time again. Where's Waldo with Patches.

Patches mad you already killed the giants when he lowered the Cathedrel bridge, and nowhere to be found when you get back upstairs? Check.
Siggy in the Well with dialogue exhausted while Deacons are still alive? Check.
A stack of zone changes and game resets with no Patches inside firelink or trying to prank you at the bell tower you've long since cleared out? Check.

Etc etc, we've all been there.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 10, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Did you go up to the Cathedral roof/Rosaria's before you did the bridge encounter? That breaks his quest.

In general if you want npc quests to work, don't try and pre-empt them

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

skasion posted:

Did you go up to the Cathedral roof/Rosaria's before you did the bridge encounter? That breaks his quest.

In general if you want npc quests to work, don't try and pre-empt them

But he's got special dialogue and everything if you man up and kill the giants before you get anywhere near where he spawns, so I always figured that was just an easter egg :v: Rather than "You broke TWO quests for stopping to fight some giants. Why didn't you just run past the enemies, idiot?" circumstances. Though no I hadn't gone to rosarias either, or the big pile of crossbeams full of knights.

As for "Pre-empting" the belltower, I didn't feel like glitching to the Silver serpent ring. So I bought my way to it legit this time sooner rather than later because I figured "Hey, maybe less cheating will make things less likely to break".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 10, 2017

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Section Z posted:

Yeah, exactly. But since the Executioner's sword is shorter than the Ultra swords with it's particular move. It often throws me off in barley whiffing the big swing followup to the stomp :downs:

Also, It's that time again. Where's Waldo with Patches.

Patches mad you already killed the giants when he lowered the Cathedrel bridge, and nowhere to be found when you get back upstairs? Check.
Siggy in the Well with dialogue exhausted while Deacons are still alive? Check.
A stack of zone changes and game resets with no Patches inside firelink or trying to prank you at the bell tower you've long since cleared out? Check.

Etc etc, we've all been there.

oh right. Although I do love that it still throws fuckers like a fastball despite being a pretty normal sized sword.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Section Z posted:

You're checking by Rosaria, right? Because he's supposed to fly across the lowered bridge to the magic man grub.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXV3NzytRm4

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jordbo posted:

You're checking by Rosaria, right? Because he's supposed to fly across the lowered bridge to the magic man grub.

Oh, was the trigger is once you get around to re-raising that particular bridge after he dunks you, then? Last time through ages back he did the bridge prank, but wouldn't show up anywhere in the Cathedral, then I swung by the belltower I had long since opened so that so I could buy the drat armor for Siggy and finally kill me some Cardinals.

I guess I had a hosed up set of triggers last time then, perhaps. This time through I was basically going out of my way to avoid anything that felt like rushing too fast or deliberate glitching (outside of "gently caress it, kill the giants now to save time later" and then remembering after the fact that's half the reason Patches dunks you).

EDIT: Oh hi patches. I have literally never seen you here before regardless of you lowering that bridge on me. Maybe it's because this is the first time I didn't die horribly and got here the first try?... Still no heavy crossbow though, not where I knocked that fucker off the ledge with a headshot, not down by the knight's corpse after I cast spook again to check before bonfire resets.

I am now imagining my past playthroughs had Patches dutifully waiting on the other side of the bridge, then seeing my corpse land five feet away from him saying "gently caress this, I'm out".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 10, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Patches' deep encounter can break completely and it won't prevent him from showing up at shrine where you need to find him. The first meeting is optional

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Son of a bitch! I've been playing for awhile, and I just found out by accident that you can dunk your head in wax in the Archives, and that protects you from the cursed hands in the bookshelves. All this time i've been just running in terror and just avoiding most bookshelves in there.

I liked this guys analysis of Fallout 4, it pretty much highlighted how empty and disappointing the game and the DLC was, on nearly every level.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Are there any spears in DS3 that share the same moveset with the santier spear?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

CJacobs posted:

It's very good. Interesting world and unique combat with the usual Souls-esque game level design intricacy. Lots of weapon variety and no reliance on gating the game's difficulty behind what level your character is.

The lords of the fallen people actually learned from their mistakes? I figured it'd be just as janky for certain.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

So is there any point in trying to stack poise?

I've been wearing heavy armour sets and​ I'm still getting stunlocked in PVP. Doesn't seem to matter if my opponent is using big weapons either. Is the damage reduction worth loading myself down with heavy gear, or is it better to stay light and mobile?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

MohShuvuu posted:

Are there any spears in DS3 that share the same moveset with the santier spear?

There aren't any twin blades in ds3

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

So is there any point in trying to stack poise?

I've been wearing heavy armour sets and​ I'm still getting stunlocked in PVP. Doesn't seem to matter if my opponent is using big weapons either. Is the damage reduction worth loading myself down with heavy gear, or is it better to stay light and mobile?

Yes. Greatswords, hammers, and halberds can't really tank through anything without decent poise, and if you want to tank another greatsword you need a lot of poise. Ultra great weapons can tank light weapons even if you have no poise, but with tonnes of poise you can tank other ultra great weapons.

If you're getting stunned in PvP you're probably attacking too late. Try predicting when your opponent is going to attack or move into range of your weapon, and press attack just before. I think of it like I'm having my opponent walk into my attack, compared to if I were to walk into range and then attacking, which is too predictable. Also you can't really "poise yourself" out of a stunlock (at least not against quick weapons like daggers), so you need to roll (twice, otherwise you'll still be in range).

The damage reduction is significant with heavy armor, especially against low damage stuff like daggers, whips and elemental infused weapons. I think it's more fun to stay light, but tanky builds are definitely viable.

What weapon are you using?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been swapping between the paired ring Knight greatswords, and the Farron greatsword.

Armour-wise, I've been wearing as heavy stuff as I while staying under 70%. I was rocking Lapp's set for a while. Just seems not make a difference with getting knocked around. Maybe it's my swing timing like you said.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
RIP Greirat, you were too nice for this world.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Are the npc summons in this game like the ones in 2 where you have to summon them to do quests?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shear Modulus posted:

Are the npc summons in this game like the ones in 2 where you have to summon them to do quests?

No. I think there are three instances where you get summoned into an NPCs world to help them, but I assume you're more concerned with screwing up an NPCs quest because you beat a boss without summoning them. There's nothing like that. The only thing summoning specific NPCs for boss fights does is give you some emotes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

No. I think there are three instances where you get summoned into an NPCs world to help them, but I assume you're more concerned with screwing up an NPCs quest because you beat a boss without summoning them. There's nothing like that. The only thing summoning specific NPCs for boss fights does is give you some emotes.

Cool. I just got to the boss of Farron Keep and it's giving me three different NPCs to choose from and I really didn't want to use more than one.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Cool. I just got to the boss of Farron Keep and it's giving me three different NPCs to choose from and I really didn't want to use more than one.

Summon one, see if you get an emote, and then dismiss them with the black crystal.
Repeat as desired.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sum Gai posted:

Dark Souls would be better off if it didn't have stats or RPG mechanics at all and were just about your gear.

You'd need something to make up for the pain of losing your souls because that's an important part of the experience but I'm sure people could think of something.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Dude the RPG character building is very fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dark Souls would be better off if it didn't have stats or RPG mechanics at all and were just about your gear.

You'd need something to make up for the pain of losing your souls because that's an important part of the experience but I'm sure people could think of something.

Actually it would be significantly worse because it would make builds far more homogenized. Also tying all stats to gear means that fashion souls would suffer a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
See The Wither 3, where I spent the first like third of the game wearing several pairs of stupidest looking ugliest oven mitts because I wasn't a high enough level to wear the actual witcher armor that was worth a drat and it was the best I had.